You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "dizzyduck" started this thread

Reg: Apr 23rd 2007

Monday, September 28th 2009, 7:45pm

Can stress harm the baby?

This might be a stupid question but I am feeling really stressed at work just now (it's not just me being pregnant, everyone is feeling the same) and had a complete emotional meltdown when I got home tonight and just could not stop crying. My dad is also going through some treatment at the moment, which is an added worry. I am usually really good at coping but the relentless pressure without any let up (or any in sight) is just overwhelming and with people now going down with flu, it makes it even harder. I am so worried it will cause harm to my baby but I don't know what to do - short of resigning, which isn't an option. Can stress do any harm to my baby - I'm 21 weeks now?
Thanks
dizzyduck
Me 42 DP 40
TTC 3yrs
IVF Oct 07 and Jan 08 - both poor response & converted to IUI - BFN
May 08, Aug 08 and Oct 08 natural :BFP: m/c at 6, ,5 and 9 weeks :sadface:
May 09 another shock natural :BFP: Perfect little boy born 12 feb 2010.

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, September 28th 2009, 7:50pm

No dizzyduck, stress cannot harm your baby.
There is absolutely zero, ZERO evidence to suggest that stress can do any harm to a baby.

However, it will harm you because not only are you stressed, you are worried about feeling stressed, and soon after worry comes guilt and so on...

Can you write down everything that is worrying you? Sometimes it can help, seeing it all in black and white. It might not seem quite so overwhelming?
I hope things calm down soon,
M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Jodie

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Monday, September 28th 2009, 7:53pm

Hello lovely.

No, stress won't hurt your little boy. But it won't do you any favours.

If work is a nightmare, is there anyone you could talk to there, maybe see if the pressure could be eased a bit?

Have you already decided when to start your maternity leave? Maybe think about bringing it forward a couple of weeks?

Don't forget you always have us to talk to if it helps.

x

PS Hope your Dad is ok.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Tuesday, September 29th 2009, 1:10am

Just agreeing with what the others have said - stress will not affect your baby, but you need to get it sorted for your own wellbeing. Can you not take some sick leave and concentrate on relaxing your mind? Sending you a hug.

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, September 29th 2009, 8:48am

hi dd,

as the others have already said, the stress won;t harm the baby, but it won;t help you!

have you completed a health and safety risk assessment form? The one where I work has questions about stress and workload on it (as well as the questions about whether or not my job involves physical work, etc).
Anyway, that was a just a thought - not sure what kind of place you work for but I believe that all employers have a legal duty to ensure that stress is kept at a minimum for pregnant workers. Take a look at the following:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg373.pdf

good luck xxx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "JENSQUI" (Sep 29th 2009, 8:49am)

Reg: Jan 31st 2009

Tuesday, September 29th 2009, 12:29pm

Hi DD

sorry to hear your feeling down and you Dad not being well. I totally understand with my DH going in for an op etc. I had a bit of a meltdown at the weekend crying and shouting and felt really guilty for the LO. I think people are really lucky to go through a whole 9 months with no wobbles along the way. Kepp strong I do know its hard and I am usually the strong one so people dont always know what to do when we break.

Take care honey xx

BFP 19/02/09
8 week scan no heartbeat m/c wc 23.03.09

1 beautiful baby5 in heaven never to be forgotton xxx

Natural :BFP: 13/06 cannot believe it, one day at a time now... please, please stay little one x

Our Prince arrived 13/02 8lb and 6oz our family is now complete, thank you god for our miricle xx

Tuesday, September 29th 2009, 7:33pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. Still feel a bit wobbly today - Rosebud, I'm like you, I usually just get on with it and am the strong one so this is weird. I'm a teacher so I don't have any heavy lifting or anything but I am taking out some of the stress in how I am with the class - and its not good for them or me. There are lots of big pressures on us at school now all at the same time. I did talk to my line manager this morning and she acknowledged that we are all feeling the same and totally agreed that I needed to put my health first. I am going to try and make time for me and leave by a certain time/stop working at home too late. Also going back to acupuncture.
thanks for listening - I'm seeing midwife tomorrow so will see if she has any other ideas for dealing with things.
dizzyduck
Me 42 DP 40
TTC 3yrs

AmoonA

Reg: Mar 1st 2009

Children: One angel in heaven

Wednesday, September 30th 2009, 3:55pm

Sorry to hear your feeling stressed...
Hope you feel better soon

Wednesday, September 30th 2009, 4:39pm

Thanks - am feeling a bit more positive today. saw midwife and listened to baby's heartbeat. She doesn't want to see me again for 7 weeks as everything looks fine. I am feeling a lot more movement now too.
I am trying to organise myself and prioritise things so that I leave some time for relaxing. Thanks for your support and I am going to try not to let things get to me so much. being a control freak is tough!
dizzyduck
Me 42 DP 40
TTC 3yrs

Reg: Sep 7th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful wee son!

Thursday, October 1st 2009, 9:06pm

Dizzyduuck i am sort of in the same situation as you as I am a teacher also. I have having a difficult time at work at the moment too and its not because i am pregnant but i am really stressed!!! I am also shocked about the maternity pay I will get compared to some other here in Scotland we get 13 weeks pay and thats all!!! I would love to take a year off but not sure if we can afford it.

xxx

January 09 - clomid 50mg & metformin - :BFN:
Feb/March 09 Clomid 100mg & metformin - :BFP:
2nd April - M/C :bawl:
May 09 Clomid 100mg & metformin - :BFN:
June 09 Clomid 100mg & metformin - :BFP:
23rd July Scan 6weeks+4 - One healthy :heart:
27th Aug Scan 11weeks+5 - One lively little baby kicking and waving
20 week Scan all good!
16th Dec Growth Scan - weighing 2pounds 4oz!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE