You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "fluffysilk" started this thread

Reg: Dec 14th 2008

Children: One on the way thanks to God and IVF!

Tuesday, August 11th 2009, 9:09am

Open External Cervix

Hello ladies...

I have some concerns :sadface:

I was spotting over the weekend and ended up going to A&E. I was examined by an Ob/Gyn and who could put a finger into my external cervix (sorry for too much info).

She referred me to her registrar who performed a scan. He found that the internal cervix was closed and the external cervix was partially open. He didn't seem worried and told me to carry on as normal. He did an external scan and everything I read about incompetent cervix says the a transvaginal scan should be performed. The closed past of my cervix measured 31mm.

I can't help but worry that the whole cervix will open. I have my 20 week scan in a couple of weeks (at 22 weeks) and I don't know whether I can wait that long before requesting more investigations. They didn't really explain much to me and didn't really answer any of my questions.

When I asked where the bleeding/spotting was coming from, the registrar replied i must be wiping myself too hard which is total crap.

I don't know if im just being paranoid but as with all of us on here, our pregnancies are so precious and i want to do everything to make sure everything is ok.

Does anyone have experience of this or should I go to my GP for more advice?

Thanks ladies.

xxxx
Fluffy

ICSI #1: Jan 2009
EC: 50 follies, 25 eggs collected, 16 mature, 11 fertlized and frozen.
ET: Cancelled due to OHSS risk.

Med FET: April 2009 - BFP
ET: 09/04/09 - 2 embies put back (4 cells each).
One perfect baby on the way isa :) EDD = 29/12/09

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, August 11th 2009, 9:14am

RE: Open External Cervix

sorry fluffysilk, I don;t have any experience or advice but didn;t want to read and run.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to reassure you but, I have to be honest and say that if I was in your situation I would be wanting a second opinion from a consultant asap....and would probably be making a nuisance of myself with my midwife (or GP) until I got that.

Have you spoken to your midwife since this happened?

xx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, August 11th 2009, 10:11am

I agree fluffysilk that a second opinion or at the 'very least' a good explanation of what's going on with your cervix is needed.

Very often doctors will make comments that sound startling to the person they're discussing and a matter-of-fact nature and half hearted explanations can leave you with more worry than you initially had.

Can you call up your midwife and tell her your worries? Maybe she can explain their findings in a more user friendly fashion?

• "fluffysilk" started this thread

Reg: Dec 14th 2008

Children: One on the way thanks to God and IVF!

Tuesday, August 11th 2009, 5:58pm

Thanks for your replies ladies. i went to GP today to get a better understanding of what is going on.

GP told me that open external cervix is not a problem. They are more concerned with internal cervix. I asked why it would open and where the blood would be coming from and she told me that sometimes the whole cervix opens and the internal part closes straight away. During the time it opens, some blood can escape (scary).

She told me to take it easy over the next two weeks - no lifting, no bending, no standing for long periods of time and to go to A&E if I get any cramping or bleeding.

I feel more reassured for going and she told me it is quite common.

xxx
Fluffy

ICSI #1: Jan 2009
EC: 50 follies, 25 eggs collected, 16 mature, 11 fertlized and frozen.
ET: Cancelled due to OHSS risk.

Med FET: April 2009 - BFP
ET: 09/04/09 - 2 embies put back (4 cells each).
One perfect baby on the way isa :) EDD = 29/12/09

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE