You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Michelle

• "Michelle" started this thread

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 10:32am

How can i not feed her?

Just got back from taking my dd to be weighed and she is now off the scale on the charts at 18lbs 13oz at 17 weeks.
The HV has told me that i must not feed her when she's waking in the night and that i have to entertain her more during the day so that she is not comfort feeding.
I don't know how i'm supposed to do this. I've spent the past four months building up to exclusive bf'ing and being told that the formula i was giving her is making her overweight, now i've stopped giving her formula she is gaining weight even faster - so it was never the formula doing it!
How can i refuse her a feed when she wants one?

The hv also said that i should put her in her own room to sleep so that she's not being woken up when my dh comes home from work in the middle of the night but that's another thing i don't think i can do :sadface:

Any advice appreciated
xx

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Michelle

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 10:43am

Oh and i was also told that my dh should look after her more and take her out of my site so that she doesn't start wanting a feed just because she's seen me :rolleyes:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

• "Flowertot" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 6th 2008

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 11:07am

That all seems a bit harsh to me. YOu have built up a good routine by the sounds of it.

We put DD in her own room at about the same age, but she would still wake in the night for a feed regardless of DH working nights. She was also on formular.

When she is more mobile she will start to lose some of the baby weight anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much at all hun.
Jen

Ella Louise Born Tuesday 12 September at 11.48pm weighing 6lb 14oz

Mum to a 2 year old little princess born after 2 rounds of IUI.

(Previously ZooKeeper/Twinkle Fairy/Fairy Girl/)

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 11:08am

:sadface: i dont know huyn, i never breast fed mine for very long.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSS WE NEED YOU!

i suppose it does sound like your HV is making things hard for you but her advice sounds like the right way to go, if C is using feeding as a comfort thing then a little time away from her would help her ot self soothe and i know refusing your child anything will break your heart but sometimes it is the best thing to do. having said that babies do become slimmer as they get more mobile.

im so chuffed for you that C is gaining weight so well and you have been brilliant at getting back to bf.

sounds liek a weird thing, but will C have a dummy? :innocent: might help her a bit? theres no kcals in a dummy :D

love kxxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Michelle

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 11:46am

She does have a dummy for sleeping at night and i always try popping it back in a few times before i eventually feed her. I dont know how i would ever get any sleep myself if i didn't! C was doing so well and went down to one feed at night a couple of weeks back but it didn't last long. I'm going to try the dummy during the day too, which is something i said i'd never do :innocent:

I know that all of this is totally my fault, i have confused her with starting off by bf'ing, then giving formula and then in an attempt to get her fully back on the breast i was feeding her whenever she wanted it. It worked though :D

I guess i just need to work at it, a few sleepless nights for me may be involved whilst i work on getting her to sleep in her big cot and settle back to sleep wihout a feed. I'm not afraid of hard work - luckily!!

Another question (sorry) - how would the way that she is positioned and latched on have this effect on her weight? I was told to go to a bf'ing group and get someone to check it out but surely being badly positioned/latched on would mean she gets less milk, not more ?(

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

cookie

Superstar

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 12:18pm

that does sound a bit odd eh? i think bells is the girl you need michelle tbh, id only be guessing.

i said id never give H a dummy either, but hey ho....needs must!

some babies are just very 'sucky' babies. :D
bless em :]

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 12:51pm

Hey Michelle....really feel for you just now after all the struggles you went through getting b/feeding established. I would have to get my old red book out and check what weight exactly, but Mason put on a LOT of weight rapidly, whilst being exclusively b/fed, and my HV told me not to be so worried about it as 'its not like you can force feed a baby breastmilk' and so I stopped worrying and just accepted he was a big boy. The advice at the time was weaning could start at 16w so 2 days short of 16w, that's what we did...very slowly and carefully, and it did mean he started sleeping better at night - whether this was coincidence or not - and although he was still huge, the rate of weight gain started to even off once he got to 6m and eating protein, and as he became more active. He is now 5.5 years and exactly the right weight for his height (pretty tall) so I reckon all the weight gain at the start was in preparation for all that growing. I understand about maybe trying to go longer between feeds to avoid 'grazing' but then again, if she's hungry, she's hungry! I think you've done so well with the whole feeding business.x
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Paris

Star

Reg: Mar 7th 2008

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 1:16pm

are you allowed to try and give her boiled water when she wakes in the night?
[link=http://lilypie.com][img noborder]http://lilypie.com/pic/2010/04/19/oQcy.jpg[/img][img noborder]http://lb2f.lilypie.com/u5wmp2.png[/img][/link]

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 1:23pm

We have the opposite problem to you Mich but I can imagine how disheartening it is to be told what you have after all the effort that you put into restablishing breastfeeding.

Are there some aspects of her advice that you can take on board? I know I am too quick to comfort baby bubble through feeding her rather than through other means (so why she doesn't put on more weight is a mystery!). I too couldn't move her into her own room either yet. The advice about your DH taking her out of your sight might be good in principle but I know practically in our house DH couldn't spend any more time with her than he already does.

How often do you think you feed her in the daytime?

blowkiss

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Michelle

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 1:29pm

I was told not to give her water but that if she was advising a mother who was formula feeding she would say to try water when they wake at night.
I think it can can do more harm than good to give them water when you're bf'ing - am i right in saying that? I've not tried it so far anyway.

Mayo - that's good to hear, thank you. I asked about weaning and the hv said that it's very difficult to weigh up how weaning will affect her weight gain but said she 'thinks' putting it off until 6 months is the best call. I'm not so sure myself, i have wondered if giving her solids would mean that she sleeps longer and therefore learns to go much longer between feeds?

I should mention also that she is on the 98th centile for length, so is tall which counts for some of the weight. She's not totally out of proportion so that has to be taken into consideration surely.
I asked the hv about the new charts and what advice she would give me if she'd gone by that (meaning that she'd be even further off the scale) and she quickly changed the subject making me think that she didn't know!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Michelle

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 1:35pm

Cross posted with you Bubble.
Yes, you're right - my dh is here for most of the day as he leaves for work only a couple of hours before her bedtime, so he spends loads of time with her. He can keep her amused for ages and i dont think he could do anymore. The HV sked him if he was getting enough sleep but not me.....what's that all about? :snigger:

During the day i feed her every two hours usually but she can go up to four hours especially if we're out and about. She spends ages at my boob when she does feed too. Some days i do feel like i'm just here to feed her and my dh gets all the fun :sadface:

I am going to try her in her own room because she's too big for her crib really anyway. I just dont think i'm going to like it much and neither will she at first!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 1:40pm

Same here - if we're out and about she can go for hours yet if we're just at home then it's far more frequent. I imagine that it's a lot to do with her getting bored more easily and the lack of movement - the car seat/pushchair often keeps her amused if not asleep.

Don't beat yourself up about it hun. I think it's been one of those days. We've got completely different 'issues' yet the HVs are having a bash at both of us. It makes me wonder if they've got nothing else to do with their time :snigger:

When are you going to try moving her?

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

cookie

Superstar

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 1:41pm

i think it is safe to say that most moms think that feeding their babies before 6 months will help them to sleep longer but hand on heart i weaned spud at 4 months and H at 6, i have had far more problems with spud with eating and i really think it is because i strated him too young, they dont have the reflex needed to swallow food properly before 6 months and end up pushing the food out of their mouths with their tongues, and sometimes getting stressed aswell.
Mich now you have said that C is on the 98th for her height i would be inclined to say leave well alone and see what happens in a couple of months, you are giving her the absolute best food she could ever want. if the health visitor hadnt said she was concerned about her weight, would you have gone out of your way to ask her about it? you little girl sounds absolutly gorgeous to me.

love k xxx

Michelle

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 1:52pm

As a childcare professional myself i've always advised waiting until 6 months to start weaning: I've also advised to not give a dummy except for at night, to exclusively bf'd for 6 months, to have them in the same room as you for 6 months and to never let your baby sleep in your bed - i'm not listening to my own advice am i? :snigger:

I don't think i was too worried about it before this morning and i don't think that her being tall was thought about enough - the hv took one look at C's thighs and that was it!

I don't know when i'm going to try her in her own room? Tonight maybe? Probably chicken out by this evening. She may be a big girl but she's still only 4 months old, just seems too early to me.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

cookie

Superstar

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 1:58pm

theres nothing to say she has to stay in her own room, aslong as her feet dont dangle over the end of her crib :snigger:

Michelle

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 2:01pm

Her feet are ok, her arms stick out of the sides though :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

mayo

Star

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 2:23pm

Hey again Michelle....that was also what my HV said...about the being in proportion thing. She wasn't a fan of the charts and said she used them as a general guide but they were often very misleading and you can see just by looking that a child is in proportion. (she was very chilled! I needed that as I am a worrier!).
I had the opposite from Cookie - weaned M at 16w and H at 19w but M is far better/less fussy eater, but most likely coincidence that he started sleeping better after weaning as it didn't make a massive difference to L's night time sleep....although it did stop him screaming from 5pm until his bedtime at 7pm, so he's been happy to go to bed at least :D
I had no choice but to have M in our room until we moved when he was about 2yrs and I was distraught at the thought of him being waaaaay down the hall from me......I had the best sleep I'd had in ages (despite being pregnant again!) and M was just fine...hope Caitlin likes it in her room.x
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 2:43pm

Hi Michelle ,I hope you don't mind me popping in here.I'm a retired midwife, with a special interest in breastfeeding, and I breastfed my own children when it was less fashionable --dd(30) for 9 months (had to stop when I went into hosp. to have my gallbladder removed )-before the days of keyhole surgery. My ds (28) for almost a year. DD gave up night feeding on her own at 9 wks,but fed almost constantly in the evening. DS woke for a feed at 4am until he was about 10 months (regardless of when the last feed had been. They both were quite chubby babies. Fi had about 6 chins at your baby's age. They both grew into slim children .DD is now size 8 (not for much longer I hope-she's 5 wks pg!) DS is a fine figure of a man !!
It sounds to me that you are doing a great job, and you will already know that guidelines for lowering the risk of cot death are that babies should sleep in parents' room for 6 months. although there were no such guidelines when my 2 were babies ,I kept them in our room for 6 months.Ds did stop his 4am feed of his own accord.
Keep up the good work!! clap

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 3:23pm

Eeeeeeeeee what a palaver!

I think you've done brilliantly to get back to breastfeeding, I know how hard you've worked at it.

I think you're right that you wanted it to work 'so' much that you've had her on the breast probably more than your average breastfeeding Mum but that's just what you absolutely had to do to succeed.

I don't think that the main problem is that she's getting big and I don't think the solution is simply 'not' feeding her as much. I think that much of her feeding is simply because she likes to feed and the side effect is that she's gaining weight more quickly, if that's the case then you would tackle it for very different reasons. According to the HV you have a big baby which is a problem and her solution is to feed less and entertain her more......whereas actually I think you have a really good feeder who loves to suck and the side effect is high weight gain so in fact, if you look at it as helping your baby to become less dependent on the breast rather than feeling that you're not allowed to feed her, she will naturally begin to be entertained by other things and the side effect will probably be slower weight gain.

Now that you've established breastfeeding and are able to be a bit more objective about your feeding times, maybe you could shave a little off the frequency and the duration of feeds. Your milk is going nowhere so you don't have to worry about supply and now she's a little older it shouldn't be as difficult to change her routine around as it would've been a couple of months ago.

I know it feels as if you're being swept along to the next stage constantly and it always seems that things have to change just as you're in a nice steady routine but I think four months is a good time to look at bringing in gentle routines that suit 'you and your baby'. You said yourself that you sometimes feel like DH gets all the fun while you just sit and feed, well, take this as an opportunity to bring about a change.

It does sound young to be going into her own room but I moved my daughter into her own room at 4 months and everyone got a better nights sleep. Her Dad is a police officer and often came in at stupid o'clock which did indeed wake her... and it's muggins who has to then get up and breastfeed back to sleep isn't it?? Another thing is that a well slept child tends to be less tired and clingy during the day so again, it may help with you having to console her fewer times with the breast.

That was a bit of a ramble .... :innocent:

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 3:53pm

Hi Michelle

No advice really as I have to be one of the 1st to get my boob out when Pinny cries. It is soooo hard knowing what is it they want, whether it is food or not. I know sometimes with Pinny it was more out of habit than anything.

I would think that the very least you deserve is a pat on the back for getting the bf'ing sorted out before any criticism is given. As others are saying, the size of the baby now doesn't necessarily reflect on how they will be when they are toddlers.

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

nickate

• "nickate" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 13th 2008

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 7:18pm

Babies are supposed to be big. One of the girls at Tiny Tots has a big baby girl and the HV said that she would only be concerned at the weight at their age if they were skinny. I give Tobe the boobie all day and all night long :happy: he co sleeps (well sort of now as he has gone the whole 10 cm away to his own side of the bed) and it is the most wonderful thing, in my opinion I would seek another 2 opinions. There is a breastfeeding expert (employed by NHS) in cheshire who deals with all sorts of issue and I know if you wanted to talk phone them and they will phone back on. I am sure they will give you all what you need. :D

Ann-Marie Hatton
O7798823850
&
Avril Smith
Katex jilly bab13

Michelle

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 7:27pm

Thank you all for your advice, it's much appreciated :smile:

I thiink you're right Bells in saying that just getting her to sleep well at night will help in the day. I've been told that she should be sleeping about 14-15 hours out of every 24 - she only does about 12 altogether on most days, then as a result she is restless during the day and wants boob to comfort her.

It occurred to me earlier that today is not the day to change anything - she had her 3rd set of imms this morning and has been sleeping it off all afternoon. I've put her to bed in our room as usual and had a chat with my dh about trying out a new routine for him instead so that he doesn't wake her, he seem to think that involves having tonight off :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Michelle

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 7:34pm

Kate - cross posted with you (because it takes me ages to write my posts), sorry.

Thanks for that. C co sleeps with us a little as well in that she is in a routine (or should i say habit) of waking to get into our bed when the sun comes up (which is about 4:30 these days!) I love that part of the day because it's actually when i get the best sleep without her wanting to feed or have a dummy!
It's just getting her to sleep the rest of the night without being in our bed that i'd like!

The HV said that it's not so much the fact that she is big but that she has jumped up the chart so much. She was on the 50th when she was born.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Michelle

Friday, June 5th 2009, 2:07pm

Right, well two nights have passed now and i have to admit that i haven't changed very much. I didn't put her in her own room and i'm not going to just yet. What i have done is tried to settle her back to sleep without feeding her but this isn't really working. I did manage to get her to go an extra hour last night with her dummy but then i fed her at 12:30 and again at 3:30.
I dont think that's too bad and she was hungry. Perhaps if i keep trying to settle her with a dummy and she keeps going a bit longer that way, this might eventually increase and mean that she can drop one feed permanantly?!

Lets hope so.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, June 5th 2009, 2:29pm

I think it's all very well your HV telling you to do this and that but she's not the one sat up in the middle of the night with a crying baby. You just do what you feel's right, you're her Mum and I'm sure you know what's best for her.

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Friday, June 5th 2009, 4:39pm

Small steps first, an hour later is great Michelle :happy: Not that lo ng till 6ths and maybe weaning will help x x personaly J was off the scale from 3mths ony just on itnow, but no one ever commented to me not even the consutants we dealt with. x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Michelle

Friday, June 5th 2009, 5:39pm

That's interesting 1xbaby, it really does depend doesn't it? I was chatting on the corner of my street today with two of my neighbours (we have regular street corner mothers meetings :snigger: ) and they have the same hv but she has never measured the length of their babies. That made me think that she keeps measuring C to check that she is growing in proportion - which she is, so i have no idea why she's making such a fuss.
One of them also said that her little girl, born in march, was 9lbs at birth and is only just above that now after losing loads of weight and she's being given a hard time because of that too.

We just can't win :rolleyes:

And someone said to me today "isn't your baby bonnie" and i thought she meant 'happy' so i said "yes she is, she's always smiling" and she replied "she obviously loves her food" :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Friday, June 5th 2009, 5:44pm

We've never had length measured either and I'm sure that baby bubble is long - god knows how though as DH and I are both hobbits!

For very different reasons we're both trying to feed our babies less frequently but as Bells says its not the HV's who are there when they are screaming :rolleyes:

Friday, June 5th 2009, 9:34pm

We have street natter here :snigger: That Bonnie comment made me laugh. In soft play a lady went to help J of the bouncy castle and mid pickup realisedhis wieght :innocent:I heared her say blimey your solid :snigger: :snigger:
Dp said she was polite :snigger:

If you dont like her 'Information' either find out when she is on holiday and get to see another H/V or just phone them Monday and ask for someone else (a 2nd opinion) x x

Friday, June 5th 2009, 9:34pm

We have street natter here :snigger: That Bonnie comment made me laugh. In soft play a lady went to help J of the bouncy castle and mid pickup realisedhis wieght :innocent:I heared her say blimey your solid :snigger: :snigger:
Dp said she was polite :snigger:

If you dont like her 'Information' either find out when she is on holiday and get to see another H/V or just phone them Monday and ask for someone else (a 2nd opinion) x x

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, June 5th 2009, 11:02pm

Nobody EVER measured the length of my children! How did I ever know if they were normal or not??!!

Next time your HV does the measure/weigh thing, just squeeze her love handles and say "blimey Mrs, how much do you weigh, bet you're rocking that BMI chart!!" :snigger:

Friday, June 5th 2009, 11:31pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells

Next time your HV does the measure/weigh thing, just squeeze her love handles and say "blimey Mrs, how much do you weigh, bet you're rocking that BMI chart!!" :snigger:

pmsl I like Bells Advice best.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "1xbaby pls" (Jun 5th 2009, 11:31pm)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Saturday, June 6th 2009, 7:57pm

Can I shove my oar in too? I suspect we may be heading in this direction as DD2 is putting wieght on fast and has overtaken several lines on her chart already!

I want to quote my La Leche League book at you again! It says that a breastfed baby who is 'overweight' is not necessarily overfat or obese. It says that there are hazards in limiting growth by putting a baby on a diet.
"The young child is a dynamic body builder, producing cells of all kinds, brain and nerve cells as well as fat cells. Researchers have observed that the flesh of a breastfed baby is firmer than that of a baby who is not breastfed. there are no 'empty' calories in human milk, as there are in highly processed foods.
It must be remembered here that fat accumulated in the relatively inactive pre-toddler state is preparatory for the highly active time when the busy toddler hardly has time to eat. We have found that by age two or three, the heavyweights among the tiny tots usually slim down beautifully."

In other words, its very difficult to overfeed a baby who is getting nothing but breast milk and any extra weight is likely to fall off as she gets mobile. I agree with Bells that now would be a good time to start observing her normal patterns and see if you can establish some routine for yourselves so that everyone gets enough sleep and she doesn't just suck out of comfort or habit and therefore get a bit podgy. However if she still gains weight as fast and you are happy that she is well and developing normally, I would just stop having her weighed!

Also we are part time co sleepers too, its lovely to snuggle up with them isn't it? I wish I'd been more aware that it can be done safely when Mooch was tiny, I'd have loved to do it then too. And Mooch went in her own room from 4 months too without any problems. Don't forget the huge protection from SIDS that breastfeeding gives her, so whatever helps you to keep doing it has to be a good thing.

And don't forget to pat yourself on the back for having a fully breastfed baby despite all the problems you had at the start, bloody well done.

Michelle

Saturday, June 6th 2009, 10:06pm

As always - great advice Mrs J, thank you.

I have given it so much thought and i'm not going to worry about it. Will probably stop having her weighed, i like that idea!
Again last night she was up for two feeds and was really hungry so she's not waking up out of habit or because my dh has come home from work as the hv suggested. I think she thought we were playing with her and singing songs at 2am making her want to get up at that time.....she's obviously never seen how i operate (or not) at 2am :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Michelle

Thursday, June 11th 2009, 11:51am

Update after seeing locum GP.

Saw the GP this morning (took C because of recent screaming/green poo issues) who instead of listening to what's been going on and advising me on what to do, made a refferal to a paediatrician because she said that C's weight is a big concern and that she thinks it might be either diabetes or a thyroid problem. Apparently if they cross three centiles in the first 6 months they have to be reffered and C has crossed four.
I tried to explain that she was long and had jumped three centiles on length too and she thought that was a problem as well and decided to measure me and my dh :rolleyes:

I have no idea what to do now, it will take six weeks to get an appointment for her. I asked what to do in the meantime but was just told to keep bf and to wait and ask the paediatrician - but C will be six months old then and surely i will need to start weaning at some point? I dont think my boobs can take another six weeks of this battering :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, June 11th 2009, 12:04pm

Oh mate, I know it must be such a worry but in some respects I think it's good they've made the referral. At least now you can get to see someone who knows what they are talking about and not have to deal with a different GP/HV every time.

Don't you have thyroid issues?

Michelle

Thursday, June 11th 2009, 12:12pm

Yes i do but i have graves disease (overactive thyroid) and they think that hers may be underactive. I had a blood test this morning for mine; my symptoms are back again but i've not been taking my tablets because i know that they get into the milk and can make the baby's thyroid go underactive, so i don't understand how it would have happened ?(
It really wasn't made clear to me and six weeks is ever such a long time to wait when you need to know what to do. For a start i need to know if i can take my tablets, i could make matters alot worse if i just start taking them and it turns out that she does have a thyroid problem.

I was asked if i could get a clean sample of urine from C - in that i catch it before it touches the skin......wish me luck with that :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, June 11th 2009, 12:24pm

I think you need to get some clarity from them. Can you call the surgery and ask the GP to call you at the end of clinic to have a quick chat? I'm sure they'd oblige (I sometimes find locums are more accomodating than the resident GPs.)

I think you just need to think at the moment that an underactive thyroid is just one possibility and not worry (easier said than done I know). It's probably far more likely that you simply have a good strong baby with a healthy appetite :D

A clean sample of urine? Yep, good luck with that one :snigger:

Michelle

Thursday, June 11th 2009, 12:26pm

Do you think they gave her the wrong type of steroids that time when she was in the womb? :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

treezuk

Superstar

• "treezuk" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 31st 2007

Children: 1 son : Mckenzi Henry born 23/10/08 !!!

Thursday, June 11th 2009, 12:26pm

Sorry to hear all the problems you are having at the moment i hope that you get a break soon , regarding the whole thyroid thing do you know if its hereditry , i dont know much about it but im sure they wouldnt try and frighten you and mention it if they didnt think it could be possible , the way i would look at it is at least they are doing the right thing and checking her for it to rule it out and if there is no issue then they can see that C is just how she should be and how her body/height etc is for her personally...

I hope that all is ok , please try not to worry they are there to help you and although you are proberly fed up with dr's etc sticking there 2p aslong as they get to the bottom of it thats all that matters
Me (Teresa) 28 / DH 31
DS Mckenzi Born 23rd Oct 08
TTC Since 2004.. Two Miscarriage's... 21st July 05 & 28th July 10

Michelle

Thursday, June 11th 2009, 12:33pm

Quoted

Originally posted by treezuk
regarding the whole thyroid thing do you know if its hereditry

Yes it is. There are several apperently linked auto-immune diseases in my family including graves disease, type 1 diabetes and lupus - so i can totally understand why they would want to get her checked out.

I'm pretty sure she's fine, i know all the symptoms and it doesn't seem like she has a thyroid issue to me.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

treezuk

Superstar

• "treezuk" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 31st 2007

Children: 1 son : Mckenzi Henry born 23/10/08 !!!

Thursday, June 11th 2009, 12:41pm

Thing is its good that you know these things are in your family , some people go through life not having any idea so at least you have a good understanding of these conditions and as you just said yourself you know the symptoms well so you can see how she is and know whether its a possibility...

Normally with ped appointment they do try to speed them up , we got our appointment through about Kenz leg about 2 weeks ago we only saw dr in end of may and his appointment is july 6th so dont worry to much where a childs health is involved you will find they will make every effort to get you in a soon as possible
Me (Teresa) 28 / DH 31
DS Mckenzi Born 23rd Oct 08
TTC Since 2004.. Two Miscarriage's... 21st July 05 & 28th July 10

mayo

Star

Thursday, June 11th 2009, 2:20pm

hey Michelle....what a nightmare of a time you're having. just thinking, is the heel prick test they do at 5 days partly to test for thyroid issues? just wondering would it have shown up then if it were a problem? hope the green poo settles down.x
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Michelle

Thursday, June 11th 2009, 4:56pm

Yes Mayo, they tested for thyroid when they did the heel prick test and it was negative but the doc wants her to be tested again because it wasn't until she was 6 weeks that she started to jump up the centiles.

Not bad on the feeding front today - 8am, 12pm, 3pm (fell asleep before she finished) and then 4:30.

but i think her bottom has just exploded :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Saturday, June 13th 2009, 5:19pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Michelle
but i think her bottom has just exploded :snigger:

Nice!

Michelle, I've tried to post on here a couple of times but either the computer crashes or madam demands boobs. I don't know anything about thyroid problems in children but I hope you have spoken to your GP by now and perhaps got a bit of reassurance. I also wanted to say that if you hadn't been breastfeeding her imagine how much more weight she might have put on and whatever health problems she might have (and it might be that she has none) then your breastmilk is providing the best possible medicine at the moment, so well done you.

Michelle

Saturday, June 13th 2009, 6:43pm

Thanks hun.
Should have updated this actually after our little trip to A&E on Thursday night. C has a UTI which is why she's been very upset recently and feeding at odd times. So she's on antibiotics and paracetamol now and will hopefully settle down soon. It's hard to tell how long she's had it for but she's not been right for about ten days (since she had those jabs, which is what i thought made her poorly) so they are going to do a kidney scan and some other tests.

The good news is that she was really well checked over by a paediatrician who said that she thinks that C is fine and just really likes her mummy milk. Mrs J, she said what you did about her possibly being much bigger if i'd not been breastfeeding and that in her opinion i should carry on exactly as i have been.
Also she said that the boob juice is best for the UTI too and that C needs as much of it as she can get right now.

So still being referred but it's more for the UTI problem now and they will do all the investigations they think are needed.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

mayo

Star

Saturday, June 13th 2009, 9:54pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Michelle
The good news is that she was really well checked over by a paediatrician who said that she thinks that C is fine and just really likes her mummy milk.

That is very good to hear :happy:
Hope the UTI clears up soon.x
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Saturday, June 13th 2009, 10:33pm

Michellle - I am a late comer to this party and I have to put in my 2 cents worth.

C was exclusively breast fed. He went from 50th centile at birth (both height and weight - 6lb 7 oz) to above 97th centile for weight before 3 months of age. By 15 weeks he weighed in at 19lb 7oz. The clinic nurse was a bit concerned about his weight but I'll tell you what the paediatrician said: There is no such thing as an overfed baby when they are on the breast!
C is now 2yrs 7 months (almost) and he looking at him, even though he is still hovering close to 95th centile for weight, he does not look overweight - he just looks like a healthy little boy.
It really makes me angry that people like your HV and GP would say such things about her weight and not feeding her - if you and she are comfortable with the way things are then you keep going with it...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Michelle

Sunday, June 14th 2009, 10:10am

Thank you Rene

Yes, it's awful when HV's and Doctors are like that. It's enough to put alot of mums off of breastfeeding altogether......but not me :smile:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE