You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "glitter girl" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: Expecting twins xx

Wednesday, April 29th 2009, 1:08pm

Cot bed advice please

Hi,

Due to our bedroom being so small our twin boys will be starting off in their own room from birth.

We have ordered them both a cotbed. Our intial plan was to start them off in the same bed (side by side) until they reach about 3-4 months and then move one over to the other cotbed. However several people have said its not safe to have them in same cot side by side??

Have considered putting them both in the same cotbed one at each end but again just not sure.... or both in their own beds from birth (decisions,decisons! :smile:)

Any thoughts/advice/experience on this would be welcome as now not sure what to do for the best, dont really want to keep swapping and changing things once they arrive.

lots of love
xxxx

Me.. Endometriosis
dh... Azoospermia
DIVF started October 2008 - 4th December 2008 :BFP:
twins boys baby1 baby1

Our boys arrived 8 weeks and 1 day early ... small but perfect

Reg: Aug 8th 2007

Wednesday, April 29th 2009, 1:18pm

Hi,
Ive bought two cot beds but im going to out them side by side in one cot to start with. Ive also bought a cot divider so when they get bigger i will put one at one end and the other at the other end. I want to keep them close to start with. One thing i have seen are them anti role beds, they are like 2 pillow tubes that go next to the babys tummy to stop them rolling if thats what ur worrying about when they are next to eachother. The cot beds look huge to me so i couldnt emagine putting them in seperate from brith. Hope it helps xx
Timed bd - 75iu fostimen and pregnil TWINS born May 09
Fostimin inj ---BFP Baby girl born Dec 10

Natural BFP March 12

Reg: Mar 16th 2008

Wednesday, April 29th 2009, 9:08pm

RE: Cot bed advice please

hi, we had our twin girls in a cot bed side by side until they were around 2 months, then we moved them head to head and then at just over 3 months we put them in their own cot beds when they went in to their own room. My friend also had her twins side by side until they got too big.

Lesley
Lesley

bab19 bab19
My two beautiful girls, Imogen and Mya were born 18th November 2008

WM2308

Reg: Dec 3rd 2008

Children: CARE, Sheff

Thursday, April 30th 2009, 9:03am

Hi,

We have bought 2 cot beds and are planning on separating them straight away, mainly due to the fact my wife has read that if they start off together it can be hard to separate them when you decide to.

We have also set up a single bed so Lucy can sleep in the room with them for the first few weeks.

Has anyone else started decorating the nursery yet? I hate all that type of stuff usually, but it's one of the best feelings I've had finishing the painting and putting the cot beds up and re-arranging the furniture to make it look just perfect. Now all we're waiting for is the Once Upon a Time (Momas and Papas) bedding and curtains to arrive to give it the final touches. What themes have others chosen on here?

Reg: Jul 17th 2007

Thursday, April 30th 2009, 9:30am

We've gone for 2 cotbeds...but we've only put one up for the time being and have put a cot divider in the middle.... we may put them side by side but i was more worried about one waking the other one up...

We've also left a single bed in that room so that either myself Or DH can be in there as need be and give the other person a break...
me 38 DH 45 - unexplained infertility and ttc for 4 years ,Mar 07 -Missed m/c
4 attempts at Clomid - BFN (Jun , Jul, Aug, and Nov 07)

Apr 08 - ICSI - BFN
Oct 08 - ICSI - BFP

Baby boys born on 29-May-09

Thursday, April 30th 2009, 12:02pm

Thanks Guys,

Your input has been really helpful, I am probably making more of this then i need to but being a first time mum to be i just wanted to double check.

The icing on the cake are my inlaws , "oh no you cant put them in cotbeds from birth" basically because they will be swamped! and i should start them off in moses baskets! even when i said i was going to put them in the same cot bed they look at me like im mad or subjecting them to child cruelty Grrr!!!

I wanted to put a single bed in their room too so i could sleep in there if needs be but there is no room for it, to be honest it would come in handy now as already dh and i have disturbed sleep due to my bulk :snigger:

Not started decorating yet, dh and I cant decide on what theme, its a toss up between three (2 x bear themes) (safari) which we are going to look at over the weekend. Once we have decided going to empty the room and get dh painting (he's a painter and decorator by trade) he normally hates having to do it after work but its different when you know its for your children, we are both really excited about it all. :happy:

I would also love to know what other themes people are considering?

Thanks again for all your thoughts and advice, i may look into the pillow tubes and dividers in the mean time off to check the room again and see if there is any way of getting a single bed in there (may just be possible if we put one cotbed up)

xxxx

Me.. Endometriosis
dh... Azoospermia
twins boys baby1 baby1

Reg: Jul 17th 2007

Thursday, April 30th 2009, 1:47pm

We've gone very plain.... as we dont know what we're having yet....

So - walls are Sand White (so white really, although did think they were going to be a little darker)....

Furniture is Oak.

Got caramel black out blinds

So bedding at the moment is Creams/Whites....

However, we've got the actual bedding for when they get a little older... which is called Zanzibar... Its all animals... and i love it.... So we've got the nappy stacker/rug/cot bumper, sheets and quilt... so a little overkill when we get to put it on, but thats ok... it has to look like a childs room at some point and i've loved this bedding for a few years now.... so hopefully will still love it when they get a little older....

Lucky to have a painter / decorator in the house... I wish!

PS: remember - these are your children and you will know whats best... People generally give opinions as they think they're being helpful but you dont always have to take advice if you dont want...
me 38 DH 45 - unexplained infertility and ttc for 4 years ,Mar 07 -Missed m/c
4 attempts at Clomid - BFN (Jun , Jul, Aug, and Nov 07)

Apr 08 - ICSI - BFN
Oct 08 - ICSI - BFP

Baby boys born on 29-May-09

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Claddagh" (Apr 30th 2009, 1:48pm)

Pink

Reg: Jun 20th 2006

Friday, May 1st 2009, 11:42am

Hello girls - where did you get your cot dividers?

We were going to pop them into same cot head to head with cot divider between them...to start with....

x

Endometriosis
7 IUIs
1st IVF March 2006 BFN
FET June 2006 BFN
3rd IVF Nov 2008 BFP
TWINS!!!!!!

35 weeks
:D :D

Reg: Aug 8th 2007

Friday, May 1st 2009, 7:07pm

mothercare i think they are bout £25 X
Timed bd - 75iu fostimen and pregnil TWINS born May 09
Fostimin inj ---BFP Baby girl born Dec 10

Natural BFP March 12

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Sunday, May 3rd 2009, 11:47am

Our two went striaght into a cotbed from birth, side by side (no divider) for about 4 months. In the hospital they put them both in together so I presumed it was safe to do the same... :D
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

Reg: Feb 25th 2007

Friday, May 8th 2009, 1:13pm

SuzyQ is right.

The hospital will put them together whilst you're in there and your in laws will see them there which will change everything. It did for us. You'll come out of hospital and keep following the routines started there as you know they can't be harmful. Once you get your confidence up you'll change things as you want them to be.

Therefore, I'd let her think what she wants because her views will probably change afterwards.

For the record, ours are together side by side and they help to settle each other. In the morning they wake up cuddling each other no matter where we place them. Hannah is usually shrieking in Harry's face - literally mm away - and he doesn't stir! If Harry cries Hannah puts out a hand to touch him. I swear she also tells him to shut up and he does!

My understanding is that babies have no idea of space. They wouldn't know if they are in a cotbed or moses basket as long as you swaddle them so their limbs are nicely tucked up.

Hope that helps...

Good Luck
Sue xxx

ICSI Feb 07 m/c 8 wks, ICSI Aug 07 m/c 5 wks, FET - Mar 08 BFN, ICSI July 08 BFP

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 12:09pm

Thanks for all your advice ladies.

Feel much more reassured especially now i know they start them off in hospital side by side! Sueshe... your twins sounds gorgeous, so nice to hear how they interact with each other.

thanks again for all your help/advice xxxx

Me.. Endometriosis
dh... Azoospermia
twins boys baby1 baby1

Reg: Nov 18th 2008

Children: 2 miracle IVF twin girls and 3 miracle surprises!!

What's Up?
Life's hectic but good !!!

Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 7:45pm

Oh ladies now I am confused. I have bought 2 cotbeds for their nursery but as there isn't enough room in our bedroom for cotbeds so I have bought two moses baskets as well for our bedroom.

Now I am wondering if they will not settle as well with me planning on separating them in to the moses baskets for the first few months?

I wish someone would just say do this and not that and then I would be more settled never mind the babies!!
Heather

PCOS and Blocked Tubes
1st IVF - Dec 08 BFP
Twins Girls Born August 09 : D
Shock Natural BFP - Oct 12
Baby Girl Born June 13 : D
Shock Natural BFP during DR!! - October 14
Baby Boy Born June 15 : D
Another Shock Natural BFP!
Baby Girl Born January 17 : D
Hmcfeather's Diary of My Brood

Lexie

Star

• "Lexie" is no longer a member of FZ

Thursday, May 21st 2009, 8:44am

Hi Heather

I did the same as you... I bought 2 cotbeds for their room and 2 x moses baskets. I never co slept mine as they were always in different cots in the hospital (probably cause they were early and were in neonatal) but I found that one used to wake the other up if they slept together. Mine were in moses baskets in our room till nearly 6 months then I moved them into their own room into seperate cot beds and i've never looked back. Ive always had 2 great little sleepers and they sleep 8pm till 8am every night. I would do what you think you will work best for you hun but I found this way worked best for me.

In the early weeks I would keep the baskets downstairs for during the day and move them up when we went to bed but when they started getting into a routine I left the moses baskets upstairs and I bought 2 x mamas and papas pop up cots which I left downstairs, these were fab as they fold up small into little bags. Loads on ebay for cheap as well.

Good luck hun x
Me 34,DH, 32. DD15 from prev relationship. Scan 9/07 showed 2 [zx076] [zx076] My perfect little ladies arrived healthy 7 weeks early on 18/3/08 weighing 4lb 8 and 3lb13...Love my three pinkies

:girl: :girl: :girl:

Reg: Nov 18th 2008

Children: 2 miracle IVF twin girls and 3 miracle surprises!!

What's Up?
Life's hectic but good !!!

Thursday, May 21st 2009, 9:08pm

Thanks Lexie I appreciate the advice. Seems so daunting at times having twins but very exciting but can be so much varied advice it is hard to know what is the best x
Heather

PCOS and Blocked Tubes
1st IVF - Dec 08 BFP
Twins Girls Born August 09 : D
Shock Natural BFP - Oct 12
Baby Girl Born June 13 : D
Shock Natural BFP during DR!! - October 14
Baby Boy Born June 15 : D
Another Shock Natural BFP!
Baby Girl Born January 17 : D
Hmcfeather's Diary of My Brood

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Friday, June 12th 2009, 7:20pm

Hey Ladies

Mine started off life in hospital in the same cot swaddled up side by side, they automatically turned in towards each other and put their arms round each other. At home we had them in the same end of the cot with a cot divider until 6 weeks when they started to work their hands free from the swaddling and bash each other in the face. We then put them head to head with the cot divider inbetween for a week but at 7 weeks they were a little too big and so now at 8 weeks we have them side by side in the same cot but lying horizontally instead of vertically if that makes sense!

We have also had to start settling them for naps in the different rooms because they tend to have a crying competition and out do each other . . . . Pip should just give up cos squeak has the lastest cry you've ever heard! At the 10pm feed we put them back in together. The plan is that once we get over the settling crying issue we can sleep them back together!

I don't use my cot dividers now but they were worth it while we did, if anyone wants to buy them drop me a PM!

x

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

Reg: Mar 6th 2006

Friday, June 12th 2009, 8:54pm

I put my two side by side and then head to toe until they were about 14wks. Then they went in their separate cots.

They have been good sleepers to and have slept thru from 12 weeks, they go down between 6-45pm -7pm and do not wake until 7-7.30am and then they will go down for another 1.5 - 2hr nap at about 11am.
Melanie
1st IUI cylce 10 March 06 BFN
2nd IUI cycle 19th June 06 BFN
3rd IUI cycle 6th Sep 06 BFN
4th IVF 31st March at St Barts :BFP:

Daisy born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.16am 4lb 13.5 oz
Nuala born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.18am 5lb 10oz

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "melanie" (Jun 12th 2009, 8:58pm)

Reg: Mar 6th 2006

Friday, June 12th 2009, 9:01pm

Mine also have their naps in their cots in their bedroom, because if the phone went or someone knocked on the door they would wake up. Also they were put together in the same cot in hospital so just carried on the same at home. However if you are planning on doing it separate then it may be worth you asking the nurse if they can go in separate cots so you continue the same routine at home. Don't worry about what to do hun you will know what is best for your two. I didn't have a clue it is just all trial and error xx
Melanie
1st IUI cylce 10 March 06 BFN
2nd IUI cycle 19th June 06 BFN
3rd IUI cycle 6th Sep 06 BFN
4th IVF 31st March at St Barts :BFP:

Daisy born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.16am 4lb 13.5 oz
Nuala born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.18am 5lb 10oz

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "melanie" (Jun 12th 2009, 9:05pm)

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Friday, September 25th 2009, 10:16am

Just bumping this thread up as it's v interesting!

I'm at the point of looking at what we want to do in terms of cots -v- moses baskets etc and from looking at the above, it seems there's no hard and fast rule.

I like the idea that using moses baskets makes the babies portable around the house and presumably you can use these for visiting rellies too - instead of having a travel cot ?(

I know not everyone can have the babies in their bedrooms because of lack of space but if you do have the space is it always recommended?

Is this for ease of getting to them at all hours or is it for the babies to feel close to you? or both?!

So many questions, so little time :snigger:

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Mavis

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, September 25th 2009, 12:45pm

Dunno to all of the above! But when has that ever stopped me from whittering on :snigger:

What I plan to do is get two cots (Cosatto Close to me) and keep one downstairs in my office (so I can work with them nearby - hysterical, right?!) and the other in our bedroom. But seriously, I did read somewhere that having one cot downstairs was nice because it is somewhere safe to put them, and it gets them used to being in a cot.

The nice thing about this cot is you can slide away one side so you can co-sleep with the babies without the fear of squashing them. So I will need to "wake up less" in the middle of the night to feed them.

I am planning on putting both babies in one cot until they are 3-4 months old, and then I'll bring the second cot upstairs into the bedroom and have one in each cot.

I'm going for a cot rather than a cot bed because the latter is larger and harder to shift from downstairs to upstairs. Plus I'm sure I'll lose the parts needed to convert the cot bed into a bed :rolleyes:

And I'm not going to get Moses baskets, but I have got two carrycots for the buggy (same one as you Duffypoo). The carrycots easily clip on and off the buggy, so I can transport the babies in these around the house.

M
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Duffymoon

Megastar

Friday, September 25th 2009, 12:58pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Mavis
Plus I'm sure I'll lose the parts needed to convert the cot bed into a bed :rolleyes:

And I'm not going to get Moses baskets, but I have got two carrycots for the buggy (same one as you Duffypoo). The carrycots easily clip on and off the buggy, so I can transport the babies in these around the house.

M
x

:snigger: The trick of not losing parts is to put them in a sandwich bag or something and tape them to the underside of the piece of furniture :D

Thanks for your input Maveypoo. Actually talking about the said buggy....bearing in mind the one we will be given is 10 years old...will it have this carry cot feature do you think ?(

The cot I like turns into a cot bed and this is definitely a plus point I think :yes:

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, September 25th 2009, 1:04pm

Yep, the carrycots will work with older buggies, I checked with a very nice man from Mountain Buggy HQ in New Zealand :-) You just need to make sure you buy the carrycot for the double buggy (because the carrycot for a single buggy is too wide).

I think most people do get cot beds. I have to admit I am the type of person that might put my little darlings in a bright pink plastic Disney Princess bed when they outgrow the cot... or something even tackier... like a racing car bed. This is only because I myself would love to have a racing car bed. If only they came in King size, sigh.

My Diary

Friday, September 25th 2009, 1:07pm

Hi Duffy,

Congratulations hun on expecting twins :happy:

Agree with you that its so hard to know what to do for the best (too many choices) The goods news is once they arrive you will just automatically make the choice dependant on whats best for you/them

I ended up sleeping mine downstairs in the day in their pram (but this was only for a few weeks as they soon started trying to head butt each other by moving up the pram) My boys have reflux so we bought some recliner/rocker seats which they sleep more peacefully in during the day and then after their bath they go up to their room and sleep in seperate cotbeds (the cots are side by side) The boys were born early and in seperate cots in hospital from the start so in a way it was decided for us, i'm glad it worked out like that as its all they have known and we dont now have to worry about whether they will adjust to this at a later stage.

I believe its recommended to have them in the same room as you for the first 6 months due to SIDS, if i remember rightly my understanding of it was that it they can hear you breathing it encourages them to keep doing the same (probably described much better than what i am doing)
If they are in the same room as each other than that covers any concern, as they will hear each other (thats the way i chose to look at it)

I guess its a very personal decision as to what works best for you, personally now the boys are in their own room i wouldnt have it any other way, they are quite noisy (even when sleeping, little grunts and moans) and i know if i had them in the same room i would be forever getting out of bed to check on them.

I would recommend somewhere for them to sleep downstairs, just to make life easier for you and also gives them a bit of variation. I was going to say who wants to be stuck in bed for 20+ hours a day (but right now i would :snigger:)

Anyways ive waffled enough and probably confused you even more (sorry) good luck hun and try not to worry as it will all fall into place.

lots of love
xxxx

Anyways ive waffled on (sorry)

Me.. Endometriosis
dh... Azoospermia
twins boys baby1 baby1

Duffymoon

Megastar

Friday, September 25th 2009, 1:08pm

Nutter :snigger:

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Duffymoon

Megastar

Friday, September 25th 2009, 1:09pm

whoops2....sorry GG...was referring to Mavis !!

Will read your response and respond in a tick :D

xx

4 x ICSI BFN

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Friday, September 25th 2009, 1:09pm

Glitter girl is a nutter, isn't she! :snigger:

My Diary

Duffymoon

Megastar

Friday, September 25th 2009, 1:16pm

Thanks GG :happy:

I'm sure a lot of it, as you say, will be decided when they're home (awww makes me go all gooey thinking about it :O )

So basically, if I go for two cots, side by side and put the babies in their own one and then have something (like a moses basket/carrycot) that they can sleep in downstairs then i won't be far wrong.....I think :snigger:

Thanks for your help and hope you and your boys are well :D

xxx

4 x ICSI BFN

Friday, September 25th 2009, 1:51pm

cheers Mavis :happy: Actually your right, having twins has turned me into a nutter :snigger:

Me.. Endometriosis
dh... Azoospermia
twins boys baby1 baby1

Reg: Sep 9th 2008

Children: I have one little boy who is 3

Friday, September 25th 2009, 8:22pm

Congrats by the way, Duffymoon!!

I am also going with a cotbed upstairs and 2 moses down. (with our 1st boy we took the moses up & down but im not doing that with 2!!)

my first boy was in his own room at 7wks, he kept me awake and was growing (making the moses move!) but these will have to be in mine for longer due to space.

only concern is that twins wont like the plan of sleeping separate sometimes and together at night, but im damn well going to try!
wish i could afford a buggy that had carrycots though - just so sweet!

Glitter Girl and Melanie - how long did ur little ones stay in hosp? and were they identical?
mine are non-identical, just gathering stats on when they are likely to arrive!!
Suzie xx

Saturday, September 26th 2009, 9:51am

Hi Luckyduck,

Congrats chick on expecting twins. :happy:

My boys were non identical and arrived at 31.6 weeks, they were in special care for just over three weeks mainly cos they needed to put on weight lucas weighed 2lbs 13oz and Ethan 3lbs 11oz at birth plus they had a bit of jaundice.

Where i live its standard to give steroids at 26 weeks for multiple pregnancys which i think helped with their developement in the womb and made all the difference when they arrived early. I had been booked in for c section at 37.6 days but ive since been told its quite normal for twins to arrive around the 34-36 week.

Good luck hun

xx

Me.. Endometriosis
dh... Azoospermia
twins boys baby1 baby1

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Saturday, September 26th 2009, 3:53pm

Hey there Ladies

Duffy, I have two cots but in hindsight would have gone for cot beds because then they could have shared for just a little while longer. There's nothing better than seeing your little ones all cutched up together! GG is right with her explaination about why babies should be in with you. We moved ours to their own room at about 4 and a half months but they come in to our bed for feeds in the night.
We had one of the cots downstairs until they went in to their own room and seperate cots simply because they couldn't fit in the same one comfortably anymore. Their cots are right next to each other so they can see each other through the bars, it's so sweet they reach out to each other!!!

Lucky Duck - huge congrats! My Twinnies are non identical and were in no hurry to come out, I had a planned c section at 38 weeks but could have gone on at least another week!

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

Reg: Sep 9th 2008

Children: I have one little boy who is 3

Saturday, September 26th 2009, 5:50pm

thanks girls.

at 28wks mine are estmated at 2lb2 and 2lb10 (although i know their only guestimates) so im hoping if they cook for a little longer they will be a good weight. but having weekly scans to keep an eye on the little girl .

hmm ... cot downstairs is starting to sound sensible (less space than 2 moses) but i will prob stick with the baskets and see how it goes (since ive washed the bedding already!!)
Suzie xx

Mavis

United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Saturday, September 26th 2009, 7:07pm

Quoted

Originally posted by glitter girl
cheers Mavis :happy: Actually your right, having twins has turned me into a nutter :snigger:

Not at all!
bigkiss

Thank you (and everyone!) for all your very helpful advice.

My Diary

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE