You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

JMB

Ace

• "JMB" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 6th 2008

Children: One wonderful Son

Monday, April 27th 2009, 12:42pm

Regular Low Iron Levels

Hi,

I was wondering if my regular low levels of iron could be a factor in our problems TTC. We have been diagnosed as unexplained but for a number of years I have been taking iron tablets on and off as my iron levels tend to be quite low, including my reserve levels. I'm not sure if this is due to heavy periods or my body's inability to absorb the required amount from my diet.

Our recent cycle using donor eggs failed and we're going to have FET in July and I would like to try and improve my chances of success.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J x

Personal blog
A Working Mum

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Monday, April 27th 2009, 9:59pm

RE: Regular Low Iron Levels

Hi JMB,

I can see no reason for your low iron to be affecting your fertility, if you are not too anaemic because of this. There can be problems absorbing iron, which is why patients are often given iron by injection or infusion. But it is most likely that it is your heavy periods that are keeping your iron and iron stores on the low side.

There are various oral iron preparations which you could try which may be better absorbed, including homeopathic iron preparations, and some combined with folic acid for those trying for a baby. Talk to your GP or to your local pharmacist

But other than the above I know of no obvious reason why your low iron should be contributing to your fertility.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

JMB

Ace

• "JMB" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 6th 2008

Children: One wonderful Son

Monday, April 27th 2009, 11:41pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply, it's very reasuring. It's one thing that has always niggled away at the back of my mind, but not any more :smile:

J x

Personal blog
A Working Mum

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE