You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

PinkyD

• "PinkyD" started this thread

Reg: Mar 21st 2009

Sunday, March 22nd 2009, 8:09pm

Single Embryo transfer & twins?

Hi, was just wondering if anyone has experienced becoming pregnant with twins after having a single emryo transfer? The clinc i attend have said that there policy is to only put one embryo back after fertilisation to minimise the risk of multiple births, although there is still a chance of concieving twins from a single embryo, has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

TTC 3 Years - Severe PCOS

1st IVF cycle Cancelled - No Response to Stimulation Drugs
2nd IVF cycle Cancelled - Crazy OvariesE2 level 33000!
3rd IVF/ICSI May 2010 - BFN :tear:
4th IVF/ICSI Oct 2010 - BFN :bawl:

2011 - Feeling a very lucky girl.. Dear friend is being our surrogate Little one is due Oct 2011 happydance

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "PinkyD" (Mar 22nd 2009, 8:09pm)

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Sunday, March 22nd 2009, 8:17pm

Hi PinkyD, welcome to FZ! I can think of someone on here who has recently had identical twins from IVF, so they will both be from one embryo...so it is possible, but rare compared to the number of non identical IVF twinnies on here. I'm not sure if she had a single or double transfer though, but only one embie carried on growing x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

PinkyD

• "PinkyD" started this thread

Reg: Mar 21st 2009

Sunday, March 22nd 2009, 8:25pm

Thanks, im scheduled for EC in 12 days and knoe they are deff only putting one back because of my age so just wondered how common it was xxx

TTC 3 Years - Severe PCOS

1st IVF cycle Cancelled - No Response to Stimulation Drugs
2nd IVF cycle Cancelled - Crazy OvariesE2 level 33000!
3rd IVF/ICSI May 2010 - BFN :tear:
4th IVF/ICSI Oct 2010 - BFN :bawl:

2011 - Feeling a very lucky girl.. Dear friend is being our surrogate Little one is due Oct 2011 happydance

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Sunday, March 22nd 2009, 8:43pm

some clinics are more strict with the SET than others, if you are young and this is your first attempt(?) then I'm not surprised they are going with a SET. Best of luck for your EC, I hope the stimms are going ok x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Sunday, March 22nd 2009, 8:48pm

they are trying to reduce twin though fertility treatment to 10% by 2012 (i think) hence SET

there is always a risk of idential twins with any pregnancy and this is increased with assisted hatching and blastocyst culture

good luck
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Sunday, March 22nd 2009, 9:07pm

Hi PinkyD

What you're basically asking is how common are identical twins, as if you have just one embryo put back then to have twins would mean that embryo would have to divide.

From wikipedia:

Quoted

There are estimated to be approximately 125 million human twins and triplets in the world (roughly 1.9% of the world population), and just 10 million monozygotic twins (roughly 0.2% of the world population and 8% of all twins).

In other words....it's pretty rare!

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Reg: Jun 3rd 2008

Wednesday, April 15th 2009, 8:40pm

For some reason that has yet to be fully understood, identical twins are more common through IVF than in the "natural" world, so your probability of ending up with identical twins is slightly higher than the numbers above. Still, they remain a very rare occurence. There is a woman on another board I go on that has just had SET and is pregnant with identical twins, so yes it does happen!

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" celebrates his birthday today
  • "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Thursday, April 16th 2009, 2:39pm

hi there

I am not sure about the stats on this but am surprised your clinic only does SET. Have they said why?

is this your clinic?

http://www.isisfertility.com/procedures/…_vitro_fert.php

cause if it is, then on this page they say they put two back.
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "BraveGirl" (Apr 16th 2009, 2:41pm)

Lexie

Star

• "Lexie" is no longer a member of FZ

Friday, April 17th 2009, 10:10am

HI Pinky

I'm sure it was Tweeti on here that went on to have id twins although I'm sure she had 2 embies put back and one split. Haven't heard from her for ages so not sure if she still comes on the board but here's the thread if you're interested. Identicals

Good luck hun x
Me 34,DH, 32. DD15 from prev relationship. Scan 9/07 showed 2 [zx076] [zx076] My perfect little ladies arrived healthy 7 weeks early on 18/3/08 weighing 4lb 8 and 3lb13...Love my three pinkies

:girl: :girl: :girl:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE