You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "jen84288" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Thursday, March 12th 2009, 10:24am

hazlenuts

I have just eaten a cake with hazlenuts in it and someone in work told me that i shouldnt have eaten them! is this true? i've just been avoiding peanuts

xx
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Thursday, March 12th 2009, 11:06am

No its not true. Do you or any of your family have nut allergies?

Here is a link to the Food Standards Agency advice on food during pregnancy

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/agesandstages/…whenyrpregnant/

The important bit for you is this

"Should I avoid peanuts?
peanuts

Serious allergies to nuts and nut products and some seeds affect about 1 to 2% of people in the UK. Your baby may be at higher risk of developing a nut allergy if you, the baby's father, brothers or sisters have certain allergic conditions such as hayfever, asthma and/or eczema.

If your baby is in this higher-risk group, you may wish to avoid eating peanuts and peanut products when you're pregnant and breastfeeding.

There have been some studies published recently that question whether women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should avoid peanuts and peanut products, because it may in fact increase the risk of your baby developing a peanut allergy. The Agency is carrying out a thorough review of all the research that has been done on this subject and will use this to decide whether our advice needs to be updated. "

There is research currently going on to discover if eating peanuts is acutally beneficial to children with potential for allergy. All YOU can do is do what you feel comfortable with AND stop listening to people in the office who think they have horror stories ready for every eventuality :rolleyes: :snigger:

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Thursday, March 12th 2009, 11:39am

Sorry you've had a bit of a fright, I know people are well meaning, but they can give the wrong info, and panic you un necessarily!

I agree with what Rivka has said, and ultimately you should do what you feel happy with.

We have no history of nut allergies,eczema/asthma/hayfever etc on either side of our familes, and I have ate nuts both in H's pg, and already in this one....I did have an episiode where I was happily eating cashew nuts when I was pg with H, and someone gave me a telling off!....I told her what I thought, and popped another one into my mouth (and muttered something about the pregnancy police under my breath :snigger: )

xxx

<

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Thursday, March 12th 2009, 11:42am

I too ate nuts during both pregnancies, no history of allergies in our family either, and nuts are a great source of nutrition and really helped to keep morning sickness at bay. You can only do what you feel comfortable with.

Reg: Apr 4th 2008

Children: 1 son conceived naturally(no idea how) 1 m/c april 6th 2010:(

Thursday, March 12th 2009, 12:50pm

we had no allergies to nuts in our family or in dhs good job as i craved snickers and fruit and nut (only cadburys) no wonder i put on 5 stone lol
:jilly:
ttc since july 2007.
5 x clomid no ov :(
april 08 to march 09 3stone 4lb lost
1 m/c april 2010 :(
our ttx journey has ended

Reg: Aug 9th 2008

Thursday, March 12th 2009, 7:57pm

As has been said before the advice regarding not eating peanuts if you have allergies, asthma etc.., is being currently reviewed and it may turn out that there is not a problem at all, until then though, it is advised if you have allergies or family history of asthma avoid peanuts during breastfeeding and pregnancy. There is no problem with any other nut at all, in fact they are good for you during pregnancy.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, March 12th 2009, 8:11pm

There IS a history of allergies and asthma in my family and because the advice to avoid nuts is only a theory, I had the odd marathon (they are NOT called snickers and they never will be) when I was pregnant with Mooch. She is fine and does not have any allergies and loves peanut butter. I agree with Rivka, do what you feel comfortable with and tell your colleagues to back off!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 12th 2009, 8:38pm

The chances of adverse reactions are teeeeeny weeeeny! It's great that we have information, advice and know any potential dangers but what's done is done so please don't worry about eating a nice bit of cake.

I craved and ate Marathons too .... my children are fine.... if a little nutty :snigger:

• "jen84288" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Saturday, March 14th 2009, 1:45pm

thanx everyone - i dont feel so guilty now! it was really good cake! xx
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE