You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "nicmitch05" started this thread

Reg: Feb 4th 2009

Sunday, February 8th 2009, 9:47pm

Bedwetting

Hi

needing help please, i am at the end of my tether here.
It has taken me ages to work up the guts to ask for help, it just seems that everybody i speak to says " mine was dry through the night at 2/3 " my mum says to me about me and my sisters all being dry before we were 3.

My daughter is 6 and still wetting the bed, not talking about the odd accident it is every night. I just don't know what to do, doctor no help they say they won't even look at helping till she is at least 7.
I have never made an issue of it, if she wets the bed i change it and her. DH works away from home so it is always me that gets up through the night to change the bed ( she doesn't wake up she will just sleep in a wet bed ), i have tried setting an alarm ( she sleeps through it ), no drinks before bed
I have tried every method known to man, have now given up and she is wearing dry nights. We both really need the sleep...lol

Sorry about going on, just wondered if any of you have experienced this and if you have any suggestions

Thanks
nic xx

Rufus

Star

• "Rufus" is 45 years old today

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: One son, aged 8, daughter 1

Sunday, February 8th 2009, 10:10pm

Poor pet and poor you! It must be awful for you both. I am sorry I have no solution except could you ask the school nurse for advice if the gp won't help - they are meant to be your link to gp once child starts school... Also, what about setting ehr on the loo at 11 or so when you are goign to bed?

I hope that someone else has been through this and can give you better advice, thinking of you xxx
Keep smiling :happy:

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: DS Born 2002 / DD Born 2010

Monday, February 9th 2009, 10:54am

Hi Nic

I know just what you mean about the comments because I had it all too and my little boy was not dry at night until about a year ago, he's now coming up for 7.

We did all the obvoius things like cutting down on drinks in the evening and lifting him when we went to bed but he just wasn't ready. We just kept trying him every so often.

Have you tried a bed mat? It won't stop the wets happening but will catch it and then all you have to do is change DD and the mat rather than the whole bed?

xxx

Me - PCOS
DH - Poor Motility & Morphology........
ICSI 2001 - DS / 2009 - DD - Our family is now complete :) :)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, February 9th 2009, 11:44am

Hi Nicmitch,

I the first thing I would suggest you do is get a urine sample to your GP so that they can rule out a urine infection.

I have no personal experience as a parent of this but I know I used to wet the bed until quite late, my mum was told by our GP it was a sign of intelligence! I think its more common that most parents let on, they somehow see it a sign of poor parenting (its not of course), but the reason your GP won't investigate before she is 7 is because its just normal.

Bells, our resident expert on, well most things really, went through the same with ehr eldest so I will let her know about your post and she will be along soon to advise you. As she has said elsewhere, chin up its only a bit of wee!

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Monday, February 9th 2009, 12:09pm

ooo yes, that was in one of my thread mrsj :D

here is bell's post to me when i was looking after a little boy who had this same problem....

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
Cookie, take a deep breath and chill a minute. I can't tell you how common these problems are chuck!!!!

My DD1 wet the bed last night AGAIN, she's 7 in two weeks. It's a fact of life that MANY MANY people deal with but no-one talks about it because it's embarrasing.

She has had had so many GP appointments, HV appointments, meetings with the school nurse, referrals to hospitals and finally a consultant. We had urine tests, she had to have an examination where she was highly embarrased, we talked over medication and alarms.... you name it!!!

In all the research that I did and all the people I spoke to I found out that most kids have some kind of bed wetting problem at some point, just that for some it goes on for longer! You're doing a smashing job there, handling it all really well and I bet he appreciates the help you're giving him.

You can buy some inco pads from your local chemist or Boots to put under his bum on holiday, also you may want to try some proper inco pants rather than the PJ pants, they should be more absorbant.

When you see your doctor you can discuss the long term solutions but in the meantime, just continue to manage the problem by using the diposable protection and don't let it all stress you out. Really, there isn't much in the way of whispered rumours surrounding these problems, once someone admits that there is a problem, you would be surprised at just how many people there are out there with similar problems... keeping quiet for the very same reasons.

Chin up flower, it's only a bit of wee ;)

bells helped me alot, im sure she will be along shortly to help

love k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, February 9th 2009, 12:55pm

Thought my ears were burning ;)

Hi Nic,

As the ladies have said, my eldest daughter wet the bed until she was 7 ish. I used to go into her room at 11.30-12am, wake her, take her to the loo and put her back into bed. This would usually stop the wetting but there were times it didn't. I actually put her back into nappies eventually as like you, I was exhausted having to keep changing her nightwear, sheets and sometimes her duvet. I found that dry nights were just a bit too comfy for her, she actually liked wearing them and I felt that wasn't helping the situation. Eventually to try to make things less comfortable for her I used the cheapest plasticky nappies (Asda/Tesco Value) I could find.

After exhausing other avenues and trying every method under the sun we finally got an appointment at the hospital with a consultant. By this stage I was worried that an operation she'd had on her hip as a baby had damaged the nerves in her groin. The consultant physically examined her and then spoke to her. The comversation went something like this.

Doc: So, you have to wear nappies at night then?
Daughter: Yes
Doc: Do you like wearing nappies?
Daughter: Errr... I don't mind.
Doc: Oh? Why don't you mind?
Daughter: Because I don't have to get out of bed to go for a wee, so it's good really.

*pause*

Doc: Ok well you really ought to stop wearing those and get out of bed for a wee.
Daughter: Ok

:rolleyes:

And she did.

She still had accidents but it was as if she'd been jolted out of this normality of not waking in response to her body's signals.

I believe that it was more that a simple choice but that the doctor's 'chat' came at the right time where she was 'just' growing out of her bed wetting phase anyway. I still have problems with her wetting during the day, just a small amount of urine in her pants, not enough to run down her leg but enough to smell by the end of a school day. I believe that she will grow out of it and I don't hassle her about it, just try to ensure she always has clean undies on.

My advice would be to stick with the drynights, lift her from bed and plonk her on the loo when you go to bed and wait. If she's not using a nappy then 'double bag' her bed. Use a waterproof sheet, a normal sheet, another waterproof sheet and another regular sheet. If she wets the bed just quickly take off the top two sheets.

Try not to worry, when I admitted at the school gates that my DD was still wetting in reception class, nearly every other Mum nodded and said that their child either wet the bed, still sucked a dummy, still had a bottle etc. We all have 'something' to contend with.

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Monday, February 9th 2009, 8:54pm

hey...we recently got a form to fill out from school re. health care via school, and on it we were asked if any problems we'd like to discuss with school nurse so we mentioned Mason's bed-wetting, which had been happening fairly frequently, although had started to see improvement (he is 5 y old). She called us a week later with suggestions then mailed us some info but by coincidence he has not wet the bed since we wrote the words on the form!
We used to wake him for a loo trip when we were going to bed - he is such a sound sleeper so we wondered if he simply wasn't waking in time.....there had been a number of occassions where he actually got up, but was not fully awake, and ended up peeing in random locations around the house! We did that for quite a while but then decided to stop as we didn't want him relying on us getting him up...wanted him to recognise for himself when he needs to get up. We got some decent plastic sheets from Boots ( £17 each I think) which have saved the mattress from a drenching and just let him go for it of his own accord - a few wet nights but dry since....may well be just that he has finally grown out of it though anyhow.
I was surprised but reassured by reading the info we got from the school nurse that bed wetting is so common in 5/6 year olds ....would have to check but I'm sure it was something like 20 % 5 y olds still wet bed.
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Monday, February 9th 2009, 9:47pm

Thanks so much !!

i feel so much better for getting it off my chest and knowing that there are others that have gone through it.

I never thought of double bagging the bed, definately one i will be trying.

Thanks again

:hugs: to all

nic :xxx:

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, February 9th 2009, 9:50pm

It's familial too. Often a parent and grandparents suffered bedwetting. Did her Dad or his Dad have a problem with it? Worth asking!

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 6:12pm

guess what.......just found out that 4 of DH brothers were all late starters.
DH won't admit if he was one of them or not
nic xx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE