You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Shelly" started this thread

Reg: Oct 9th 2008

Children: Daughter aged 7, naturally conceived

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 11:24am

lost one twin other survived

Hi just after anyone's experience. I was 12 weeks pregnant with twins following IVF [seperate sacs]. Unfortunately i found out yesterday at the scan that one has died at 10 weeks. It was still present in the sac. I was told that it should not affect the surviving twin and it will eventually probably be asorbed. I was just wondering whether anyone has had similar experinece. Just concerned because usually when you lose a baby your body eventually miscarries it. Is there a chance that i could bleed etc and cervix opens so that i lose the other baby. - if that makes sense.
X
Lost one twin at 10 weeks, heartbroken.

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 11:33am

Oh Shelly, I'm so sorry. You must have been so shocked and sad when they told you at the scan. :sadface:

I am sure I have seen quite a few ladies on here who started off with twins, then lost one but carried on to deliver the other baby. I can't remember how far along they were when they lost the twin, and I don;t know if they bled or not, but I am sure someone will be along here soon with more information for you.

Once again, I'm so so sorry. Thinking of you and sending big :hugs:
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

elmo

Ace

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 11:45am

hi hun,

just wanted to say sorry about your loss, stay strong for ur other little one x x
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 11:45am

:sadface: oh shelly im sorry for the loss of one of your twins...

i dont know the answer to your question but i should think the clinic would know best.

i think there are some girls on here that have been through similar experiences, and they will be along soon to help.

im sorry again, take care of yourself hun

love k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Reg: Jul 21st 2007

Children: Baby boy Brennan...born 23rd April 09

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 12:13pm

Hi Shelly,

So sorry that you lost one of your twins :sadface: The same thing happened to me,we lost one at 7 and a half weeks,it was a bitter sweet scan as i was so happy to see one wriggling around but so sad the other had not made it...i focused on the healthy baby and took happiness from the fact i still had one although was so sad to lose the other...they said i may bleed or may not,but the other should just be absored by my body...luckily i experienced no bleeding at all and as you can see am now well into my second trimester and we are expecting a little boy :smile:

Its is apparently quite common to have a 'vanishing twin' although still hard to accept but i wish you all the best for the rest of your pregnancy hun and i hope its now uneventful and healthy,sure it will be x x x
ME 33 DH 36
TTC 4 YEARS
2006 TUBAL ECTOPIC
2007 IVF CORNUAL ECTOPIC
2008 FET BFP! TWINS BUT LOST ONE AT 7W3D

BRENNAN MATTHEW WATTS BORN VIA C SECTION ON 23RD APRIL 2009
OUR DREAM HAS COME TRUE WE GOT THERE IN THE END :happy:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "MELISSA" (Jan 14th 2009, 12:14pm)

Reg: Jul 17th 2007

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 12:21pm

I just wanted to say how sorry i am for your loss...
I know of a very close friend that this happened too and i can gladly say she's got a very active 5 year old running around the place causing havoc...

Look after yourself and your little one

x
me 38 DH 45 - unexplained infertility and ttc for 4 years ,Mar 07 -Missed m/c
4 attempts at Clomid - BFN (Jun , Jul, Aug, and Nov 07)

Apr 08 - ICSI - BFN
Oct 08 - ICSI - BFP

Baby boys born on 29-May-09

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 3:46pm

Hi, Shelly and sooooo sorry for your loss
Torisen has, in both her pregnancies, lost one of her twins - in both cases it was earlier than your loss and I know for sure she had a large bleed with the first - think it was less with her current PG but she will probably be along to confirm that.
She has a gorgeous 2 year old in tow and is 28 or so weeks now with number 2!

I have also had patients who have lost a twin and gone on the deliver the other safely: 1 lost one at about 7 weeks, another lost one at about 10 weeks and a third (these are just the ones that I can think of offhand) lost one at 22 weeks. The first and second had no trouble, the third actually GAVE BIRTH to/delivered the one that she lost about a week after it had died and she managed to keep the second one onboard (with medical intervention) to about 32 weeks...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 4:38pm

This is more common than most of us realise unfortunately. But it tends to have a good outcome for the remaining baby. Tracey H on here had the same thing happen to her at about 12 weeks, and she went on to give birth to lovely baby Matthew last March I think it was. It's unlikely that you will miscarry the lost baby in the way we usually associate with losing a baby. You are most likely to re-absorb the embryo and sac back into your body and it will have no effect on your remaining bubs.

God luck chick, and I hope everything goes smoothly from here onwards.
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

verve19

United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 10:04pm

Hello
I just wanted to say I have been through a very similar situation to you. I had IVF and was pregnant with twins but one baby died at 7w 5 days. I have just had my 20 week scan today and my other baby is doing brilliant (thank God).
Feel free to PM me anytime as I know how stressful everything is x

Tuesday, January 20th 2009, 6:39pm

Just thought i would let everyone know that i went for my 12 week scan today [actually 13 weeks now] and the other baby is doing fine. So after getting over the shock last week of losing one of the twins i am now trying to be postive and looking forward. Thank you every one for your messages. XX

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Tuesday, January 20th 2009, 7:11pm

Happened to me twice as Rene said...

With the first one There was only one HB on the first scan but the sac stayed with me for a few months.
I had a massive bleed when I was 13 weeks and kept on bleeding (but less) for another 5 weeks.
My boss drove me to the hospital wearing his undies and his wives trousers clutching my jeans in a plastic bag as I thought that I might have to go through the clots to see if my baby was there...
I went on to have the most wonderful boy in the world and I believe that he is what he is as I could give him all the love and attention available.

With this pregnancy I thought I had taken all the precautions not to have to experience it again (one dominant follicle) but hey... At 5 weeks I got very sharp stabbing pains. The same I had with the first bleed and I went to the toilet and was bleeding again.
I had a scan one week later and as I thought there could only be one I thought it was it... But there he was, wriggling away but also a second sac but it was empty.
The second sac disappeared pretty quickly this time and the bleed only lasted for a couple of days. I had a small second bleed but it was more like a last day of a period.

I think the important thing is that even if you do start to bleed heavily (flash flood) it can still be OK. It is worrying until the second sac is gone and it will in fact always be with you but it does not have to be the end :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Ale

Ace

Reg: Oct 21st 2008

Children: A gorgeous daughter I couldn't love more...

Wednesday, March 11th 2009, 1:18pm

Hello ladies,

Sorry, I don't belong here, but I need some reassurance.

Yesterday I had my second scan and they told us that we had lost one of the twins ;( We were kind of prepared for it as at the 7w scan they told us it was smaller than the other and the heart beat slower, but it was still hard. I tried to concentrate my attention on the other one because I did not want to get too distressed.

The Dr said I could have some bleeding and if it happens I need to go to the A&E to check that the other baby is still there... he terrified me!! Is it possible that it vanishes without any bleeding (just gets absorbed somehow by my body)? So far, I have had no bleeding whatsoever but now I am really scared something could happen to my healthy baby...

Sorry for intruding... your stories here made me feel a bit better.... thanks!

Alex
First Ivf Nov 2008. No ET due to OHSS :sadface:
Natural FET Jan 16, 2009. Two embryos on board!! Jan 28, 2009 :BFP:
Lost one twin at 10 weeks

Next FET Octobert 2011 :pray: for another miracle!

Wednesday, March 11th 2009, 2:16pm

Hi ALe- I am really sorry to hear your news.
as you know i started this thread. I am now 20 weeks pregnant with one baby. Apart from a small amount of spotting [nothing really] before i was told at 12 weeks that i had lost one of my twins [2 weeks earlier] i have not had any bleeding. I was told that the other twin would be absolved and that it was very unlikely that it woudl affect the healthy twin. Most of my research on the web indicated the same. WHen i had a scan at 13 weeks it was still present but sac etc smaller than it was at 11 weeks. The fact that i had twins did affect the downs testing and i had to have the quadruple test in any event [nuchal at 12 weeks plus bloods at 16 weeks].
I found it really hard to begin with as i was really excited about having twins but as my stomach grows i just try to think of the one that i still have.

Hope this helps. Take care

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE