You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Missy

Superstar

• "Missy" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 11:17am

Maternity Jeans & clothes

I bought some jeans from Asda last night, supposedly over the bump, I bought some a few weeks ago in my usual size 14, but outgrew them in 2 weeks. I got some size 16 last night, and they are really odd, they feel tight on the bump already, and don't even reach my belly button, They also insist on giving me a bob (builders bum). I can't be 2 sizes above my usual size already? ?(

Also, I love the way my next trousers fit, they are stretchy material and roll all the way over my bump keeping it really nice and warm!!

Can anybody recommend any decent brands? I am a 14L usually. Has anyone had any similar probs or is it just me??!

xxxx

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 11:31am

Sam

Have you tried Blooming Marvellous? They have some nice reasonably priced stuff - I've been looking for stuff for me as my trousers are beginning to strain at the zip now!

www.bloomingmarvellous.co.uk

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 11:38am

I went to the BM shop on Saturday they do do some lovely things, I ended uip getting some trousers for work in Top Shop maternity they are really nice, like Bagpuss I am beginning to strain around the waiste band and spend most of my days with my trousers/jeans undone, I have never been a jogging bottoms kind of girl so I am having troble finding thing to wear, wish it would just pop out!

Missy

Superstar

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 11:39am

Bagpuss, Isn't it exciting!! I keep checking your ticker to make sure its coming along nicely!

I would strongly recommend the next ones... so comfy, and reasonably priced at £20. They will last you all the way through aswell!

xxx

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 11:39am

I had some 3/4 from mothercare, they where really stretchy!!! Presume they do standard jeans.xx

Bagpuss

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 11:43am

I have a problem with Maternity wear in that I was a fat bloater before getting pg so not many places do sizes to fit me!

I have actually lost weight according to the scales but it's all piling on at the front! I'm going to have to order Next things I reckon or use a couple of really nice US sites which have fab stuff at reasonable prices :D

Sam, I'm fine apart from the mini scare last week, mostly tired & a bit queasy but hey compared to Chilli & Oll etc it's nothing :O

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 11:46am

Gill i was a bloater, size 18/20 and managed to get some niceish things from mothercare. xx

Bagpuss

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 11:48am

Hmm Clare I'm maybe a little bigger than that - about a 20/22 but I reckon I'll just have to try stuff on as like most shops the fit is different in each one ?(

I tend not to try stuff on as I hate changing rooms so I just pick what I think is my size & buy it [zx156]

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 11:53am

Mothercare was really generous, i mean i was huuuuuuge at the end and i only outgrew 1 pair of dorothy perkins trousers and mothercare black 3/4s. I tended to go for really stretchy stuff. I have seen maternity wear new somewhere but can't think where!!!

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 11:54am

Think it might have been m and s???/

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 11:56am

H&M do it now I had a look on Saturday it is all over the bump stuff looks reasonable though.

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 11:59am

H and m comes up reaaaaaaaaallllly small!!!

Lara

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 4:27pm

Got to agree with Sam about the Next trousers, plain black with a big stretchy bit at the top. As well as being really comfy they give you a nice shape.

I've got cords from Blooming Marvellous and they're really comfy too.

Like Clare I found H&M come up small, didnt even bother with their trousers as they were an odd shape.

What are you doing about winter coats? We're going to be our biggest during the coldest months so not sure what to do. One of my coats is already snug. Also, I haven't seen any maternity coats and if I did I'm not sure I could justify spending on a coat for one season, bound to be dear.

Poncho? Cape? At 5foot I'll probably look like a huge blanket with a pair of shoes sticking out of the bottom. :D

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 5:02pm

oh no! I cant stand trousers that cover my bump!! they make me feel all squashed up!! and lil-en seems to protest too! i do have a few that go over but I find that most of them slide down anyway!!

most of mine I got off ebay and are second hand! I cant remember the last time that I could afford anything new for myself! although I did find 2 bras in asda for £3 the other day! not maternity but better than nothing!

I've seen some lovely black cord flairs in dotty P's but they're £30!! I've not got much longer to go now so i think I'll just manage which what I've got even if they are uncomfy!

Jessica x x

Missy

Superstar

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 5:32pm

Theres an ebay seller that sells new m&s bras aswell, I'll find her shop and post it on here. I bought a 38E & 38F the other day for 3.99 each.

I find that a really thick jumper and Sams hoody are doing for makeshift coat at the moment, but I'm not paying alot if I have to buy one, it will only get 2 months wear!!

Gill, like you I have put it all on mainly out front, although I have noticed my bum and thighs have expanded!! I think thats why its more difficult to buy things that fit all over! I remember looking at clothes at the start of my pregnancy thinking that will never fit! Now I'm looking and thinking the same- but for the opposite reasons!!!

xxx

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 5:46pm

Lara I have bought a poncho from Bench it's like a jumper though with arms can go really wide that i will use as a coat!

But Top Shop maternity do winter coats xx

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 26th 2005, 7:38pm

my towns c**p!! there's only 2 shops that sell maternity!

not even bhs and m&s have maternity in them! and they're both 2 floors high! X(

me and DP were the same waist size before I got PG so I still cant wear his coats!! fortunately I've got a wrap around one with ties, plus its a bonus winter one thats suede with furr lining so at least I'll be warm!!

Jessica x x

Bookworm

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 7:43am

I found Dorothy Perkins the best for maternity trousers - Next are far too small (I do find that normally, but now its ridiculous). They have lasted me from July to now though at least.

They do have a rather disconcerting habit of falling down, but that's because I don't like wearing them over the bump as I find it uncomfortable so I have the trousers and the belt really loose.

I've got some Jeans from jojo maman bebe on the internet but I had to chop a load off the bottom - honestly why do shops think if you are larger round the waist (wot waist now?) you are ten foot tall - its bonkers!

I also got a really nice top from Mamas & Papas as I have had 5 wedding dos to attend this year, so needed something posh.

I noticed that Debenhams are advertising a new maternity range - I think its called "red herring", but haven't tried it as I'm making do with what I've got.

Bookworm

Missy

Superstar

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 11:11am

We have only got a dorothy perkins that sell maternity instore, and they only have 2 racks worth!! Additions now do a maternity range, but I still haven't found anything I really like!

xxx

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 11:40am

there is only mother care where I live, i got told in asda, tesco, topshop, and DPs that Canterbury is our nearest store for maternity wear. Obviously they haven't noticed the fact that pregnancy does exsist where we live!

Children: Twin Girls

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 12:21pm

Hi Ladies,

Next is great very Maternity jeans & Dorothy Perkins, I've been wearing size 18 so far but my bump is huge now, I've ordered size 20 from Next but the over bump bit is huge so should be wearing them soon!

Gill - Next tops are very comfy & the sizes (Maternity) are generous, I've managed size 18 & 20 so far, give them a go, they go upto size 22

I found Knickers the worse buy, as I'm having twins I was a size 18 knickers, I've just HAD to buy size 22 from Tesco!!!! OMG!!!! my Mum said they will be fine & they JUST fit!!!!

xxxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "lisaw2308" (Oct 27th 2005, 12:21pm)

Children: Twin Girls

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 12:25pm

Sam

Please let me know the name of the seller on Ebay as soon as you can as I desperately need bra's, still wearing a 40ff as haven't been measured yet.

xxx

Missy

Superstar

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 5:26pm

I found it... its serafima_serafima

She only goes upto a 38 back size that I can see, but why don't you e-mail her and see if she can get broader back sizes?

xxx

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 5:38pm

This is a subject close to my heart as I seem to have spent hours searching for decent clothes!

Bagpuss - you don't know how reassuring it is to know someone else was larger than a 10/12 to start with!! There are NO shops near me so having grown out of the women's section, I had to resort to buying mens combat trousers from Tescos! They are really comfy though and go right over the bump up to my rib cage!!! only cost £6 (value ones) I was beginning to panic as I had to buy a size 40" and they fitted nicely - there was only one size more to go and I'm only half way through! had visions of improvising with a duvet cover!

Last weekend I went to a larger town and spent the morning in H&M and Mothercare - tried on about 8 pairs in mothercare and they come up really big - they go up to a size 20 but as I said they are really big. I got a size 18 and they are really loose and comfy (have stretch side panels you can adjust) - look a bit funny at the front but I'm ignoring that!. I don't like the trousers with the big stretchy bit on the top - I found them tight under my belly button - H&M do loads of them.

I found Evans really good for tops - smock type ones are in fashion and I got a few in their sales which look really nice.

Bras are a complete nightmare - does anyone else find the maternity ones cr*p? they give me no support at all - I'm only a B/C cup - got mine from M&S and was measured so its not that I've got the wrong size - anyone find some more supportive ones?

Do Next only do maternity via catalogue?

(sorry gone on a bit here!)

Missy

Superstar

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 5:52pm

Georgie check that ebay seller, they are new and a bargain at 3.99!!

I have a wedding to go to on Saturday with NO clothes at all!! I went into Debenhams today and had a look at their red herring range.. everything is sooo boring!! Do they think your dress sense goes out the window when you get pg??!

xxx

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 6:05pm

There is a web site but can remember the address and their stuff is quite up to date. I will try and find it!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 6:10pm

Found it www.funmum.com

Bagpuss

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 7:08pm

Georgie

It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who can't find decent clothes! I am ok for tops as jumpers etc will stretch etc but bottoms are a real problem. Evans used to do a maternity range but it appears to have vanished into the ether :(

Thanks to Clare I have ordered 2 maternity trousers from Mothercare & hope that a size 20 will fit ok. Next do go up to a 22 but everyone else only seems to do size 20 as a max & for some it's just tops & not bottoms at that size ?(

I found a couple of US sites which are really great but with shipping at $55 I would have to bulk order to make it worthwhile I think

As for bra's I have ordered from Figleaves but the 1st one I got was just so unsupportive - all the weight was on the straps & gave me shoulder & backache. I have another 2 on the way & hopefully one of those will be better!

Thursday, October 27th 2005, 8:41pm

I found Next and H&M were my main targets for finding maternity clothes. I intend to re-use all I have from the first time round. I only had 2 pairs of trousers and 2 skirts and that kept me going the entire pregnancy. Mind you, I didn't even get into maternity stuff till 5 and a half months then. This time, I suspect it will be within the next couple of weeks!... Unlike you, Bookworm, trousers are never long enough. Having a bump, and trousers that only come down to the top of your ankles, looks ridiculous! Next are good for long lengths.

For coats, the more pg you get, the more of a central heating system you have on board, so you don't need as many layers. I wore my normal coat the whole time (gave birth in February), and just didn't always do it up. It's a zip coat, and I think that can stretch over a bump better than buttons.

Limpet

Missy

Superstar

Friday, October 28th 2005, 7:35am

Here Here Limpet, am with you 100% on the trousers not being long enough!! I found saviour in my next trousers and they have lasted me from the very beginning and are still going strong! I have also bought another 2 pairs of jeans, one pair isn't long enough and the other aren't stretchy enough! I bought 2 tops also, and that is my wardrobe.. bit of a comedown as I have 2 wardrobes worth of clothes and a chest of drawers full!

xxxx

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Monday, October 31st 2005, 5:21pm

I have just seen in Red magazine that mt favourite jeans company ever, 7even for all Mankind, now do pregnancy jeans. Their standard jeans are magic and somehow make you look 3 inches taller and a size smaller, so high hopes for their pg jeans.

www.blossommotherandchild.com

Missy

Superstar

Monday, October 31st 2005, 5:25pm

mmm... love mankind jeans!! They are extremely flattering!!

xxxx

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, October 31st 2005, 5:28pm

Yes they are great bought some over the weekend!

JoJo

Ace

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Monday, October 31st 2005, 6:09pm

girls try the Nct website for maternity and nursing bras in larger sizes.

http://www.nctms.co.uk/

also if you cant find the bra in he backsize that you need, you can buy a pack of extenders on there too

jo
x

Bagpuss

Monday, October 31st 2005, 8:13pm

Well i bought 3 pairs of trousers this weekend, 2 normal ones from M&S which are pull-on & will stretch to accommodate my bump & also a pair of Mothercare ones.

I think it will have to be Next for jeans for me too but I'll leave that until my bump is bigger I think!

I tried H&M but the trousers aren't made for short ar*es like me at 5' 4" & trailed about 6 inches on the floor even with shoes on :( They did have the nicest tops of anywhere I've seen so far. Our local Dottie P was awful for maternity wear - all dark colours & nothing remotely pretty or smart enough for work! ?(

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 7:17am

Has anyone found any decent swimsuits? just put on my cheapo Tescos one and its is being streched to danger point! - hope there isn't a disaster in the pool today - lol :D

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 7:34am

The petite and tall ranges are extremely limited!! At least you can take them to have them turned up at a tailors Bagpuss!! Us Giants look like our ankles are in divorce talks with our hems!!!!

xxxx

Bagpuss

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 7:38am

I think Figleaves do maternity swimwear as do Mothercare but at this time of year I think you'll have to order on-line!

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 9:19am

I just bought a normal animal shorts and vest swim suit for a fiver from allsports in a slightly bigger size than normal! (remember you can try them on!!)

I thought it was funny when i went my aqua-aerobics the other day and they were all wearing the same costume apart from me!!!

it was dead funny!! :D

Jessica x x

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 11:23am

Additions have also got maternity swimsuits at around £15

Children: DS Born 2002 / DD Born 2010

Tuesday, November 1st 2005, 12:27pm

Have you girls checked out the range at Blooming Marvellous? It can be a bit pricey but would be good for a special occasion, some of the things on there are so pretty.

http://www.bloomingmarvellous.co.uk/

Also as a more reasonable option try Asda, I've seem some really pretty things in there.

Claire x

Wednesday, November 2nd 2005, 6:15pm

Thanks for the advice re: swimming costums - hadn't thought of additions or asda

Natalie

Friday, November 4th 2005, 5:55pm

Hi Everyone,

I cant beleive how huge i am already, with my first I was dying for this bump to appear and it didn't until near the end of the 5th month, this time however Oh My!! I have one pair of golddigga jeans and one skirt with an elasticated waist and thats it. Ive ordered a few items from ebay but these are still slightly too big I feel so frumpy, like Im wearing the same things day in day out.

My town doesn't have one shop that sells maternity wear so im going to have to go into cambridge soon as see what I can find.

Two good catalogues that sell maternity wear are La Redoute and Verbaudet, im not impressed with the range in next directory.

ZIG

Ace

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Saturday, November 5th 2005, 4:07pm

I wasn't very impressed with the Next range either (I never am, but I'm a terrible fashion snob), but have to say that their maternity jeans (under-bump fit) are the BEST maternity buy I have made. I can also say the same for their roll top, stretchy black pull-on trousers. They give wonderful support to your bump and I can't live without them, especially now that I am so huge. I hate putting either item in the wash as it means that I can't wear them for a day or so!

As a self-confessed fashionista, I have been amazed at how restrained I have been. Fashion is a huge part of my job, and I love trawling thru catalogues, shops, websites etc. But all I have bought is a pair of jeans and pull-on trousers (mentioned above), 2 tops from Gap, a fab knitted top from H&M Maternity (excellent selection there and cheap to boot - can't recommend H&M enough) and a skirt from TopShop Maternity. Not a whiff of designer gear. I bought a belly belt set quite early on and this has allowed me to keep wearing most of my non-preggie stuff. Another brilliant buy. My less inspiring purchases have been a pair of 40 denier maternity tights from Formes (v.v. expensive and uncomfy) and a top from Blooming Marvellous (huge and shapeless).

ZIG xxx

Thursday, November 10th 2005, 3:15pm

TopShop under the bump jeans were great but I did buy one size up from normal size - stretchy sides lasted all the way through.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, November 10th 2005, 4:10pm

I have Topshop under the bump trousers and they are really comfy.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, January 2nd 2006, 9:20pm

I bought yesterday in Topshop a bump band, it's great you can wear it with a non maternity top and it just covers you bump.

i also bought a wide scarf that I can tie round my bump whilst wearing a non maternity top, I had it on all day yesterday shopping and it was fanstastic as it supported my bump and I could walk around for alot longer than normal.

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Monday, January 2nd 2006, 9:30pm

Do top shop sell maternity clothes?

Jessica x x

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, January 2nd 2006, 9:47pm

Only the bigger stores.

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Monday, January 2nd 2006, 9:52pm

That'll be why then! ours is naff!!

what does it look like? any chance of a pic? you dont have to be in it!

wish I'd have known about them sooner! it'd have saved my p's moaning aout my belly being on show!

Jessica x x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE