You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "philippa_s" started this thread

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Thursday, October 30th 2008, 6:54pm

Strep B - End of homebirth dream.....

Hi

Just had a phone call from my midwife and the swab I did a few weeks ago at hospital has shown up strep B. Haven't looked into it properly yet but it can be dangerous for the baby appparently and I'll need IV antibiotics in labour.

Would love more info if anyone has any.

I'm just a bit gutted but pleased it has been found now rather than causing problems later for baby

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Thursday, October 30th 2008, 6:58pm

Group B Strep

Some info in above link sorry I have no Personal experiance to add, Hope it helps :smile:
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Thursday, October 30th 2008, 7:23pm

Cheers for that. I will have a read.

Just a bit shocked really

P x

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Thursday, October 30th 2008, 10:34pm

Im sure you are hun, at least now you know about it, you can have whatever tx is nessarsary to keep you both safe. Let me know how you get on x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, October 30th 2008, 10:46pm

Our own Rivka was planning a homebirth but was found to have GBS, I'll ask her to come over to this thread for a chat!

Thursday, October 30th 2008, 10:50pm

Thanks Bells

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, October 31st 2008, 8:02am

Philippa if you click on the link 1xbaby posted the third post down from team admin has links to another thread which is very useful and also a GBS support group which has loads of info. Hope that helps.

Friday, October 31st 2008, 8:09am

Thanks mrs jasper

I went on it last night and had a good read and have compiled a list of questions for my next m/w appointment too (lucky woman!!) I think my main concern is what if I don't get into hospital 4 hours before baby is born...can't really plan that!!

What I am struggling to get my head round a bit is that it isn't something done routinely and can be really dnagerous. Just soooooo happy I had the 'leak' after the birthing ball otherwise I would have been none the wiser and I would rather be safe than sorry

P x

mrsjasper

Megastar

Friday, October 31st 2008, 8:18am

Its so stressful isn't it. I know Rivka was very upset that she couldn't give birth at home but she had a lovely birth in hospital anyway. I'll try and find you a link to her birth story, its heartwarming. its a shame it can't just be treated with tablets or a pessary now then you can deliver wher you want.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Friday, October 31st 2008, 8:20am

Aww mate, I'm sorry I can't offer any advice but I'm sorry that it screws up your homebirth plans - I know how keen you were on that. Hope you find out sufficient info to set your mind at rest.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Friday, October 31st 2008, 8:28am

TBH I had always said that if there was a medical reason why I shouldnt have a homebirth then so be it...and it's happened.

All I really want is for the baby to be out safe and if that has to happen in a hospital then thats how it has to be. My m/w is really pro home birth and was saying that it was my decision but the safety of the baby is paramount. How would I feel if something happened just because I had had a home birth? I'm just not prepared to risk it.

I will just have to go and buy a dressing gown after all lol

P x

mrsjasper

Megastar

Friday, October 31st 2008, 12:33pm

Per Una have some lovely dressing gowns in the sale...

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Friday, October 31st 2008, 1:01pm

Hi Philippa

I did indeed have my lovely homebirth scuppered by nasty GBS but I think I can reassure you on a few points you have raised:

Quoted

Originally posted by philippa_s
I think my main concern is what if I don't get into hospital 4 hours before baby is born...can't really plan that!!

You don't need to worry about this. If you do arrive "too late" there is an option to give the baby antibiotics after birth. This will just mean that you be kept in for 48 hours observation instead of 24 with all the antibiotics given via mother before birth.

Quoted

What I am struggling to get my head round a bit is that it isn't something done routinely and can be really dnagerous.

GBS is incredibly common and VERY rarely leads to difficulties for baby. The procedure is not dangerous (although in an ideal world you wouldn't be exposing a tiny new born to antibiotics - but needs must don't they!), the effects of GBS are horrible for a tiny minority. You don't [I]have
to have the A/B's and you can still have your homebirth if you choose and are prepared to fight like hell for it but to be quite honest so long as you go inton that hospital feelin glike you are in control then chances are you will be and you will still get the birth experience you want.

Quoted

Just soooooo happy I had the 'leak' after the birthing ball otherwise I would have been none the wiser and I would rather be safe than sorry

P x

This is a very interesting point. The statistics show that every day women who are carrying GBS without anyone realising it, go on to have happy, healthy babies. My GBS was picked up with DD2 after I was admitted to hospital with Noro virus - they did a swab without even asking me and I found out by chance that I had it! The chances are that I had it when I had DD1 and that it simply wasn't picked up. She needless to say was and is absolutely fine.

There is a lot of stuff about this whole subject on the AIMS website if you give that a quick google. Plus you are more than welcome to read my birth story for DD2 if that would be of interst. I can post you a link when I get a chance. I think it is in a thread about homebirth which may have been started by Bubble but don't quote me on that.

The upshot of what I am trying to tell you is this: you will be fine, your baby will be fine, the birth will be great and, erm, oh yeah, you'll all live happily ever after :D

Friday, October 31st 2008, 1:12pm

Cheers for that Rivka

Had a read of your birth story earlier and the home birth thread and another one on GBS but will have a look at the AIMS website so am feeling a bit less 'wtf' about it all.

I have read the stats and know it is incredibly rare for something to happen but I just don't want to take the risk that my baby will be that '1'. It's just a bit hard to ignore when you know you have it (and I didn't know they were testing for it either)

I have my next m/w appt in a couple of weeks so when I have had some of the questions answered it should all be clearer (I hope!)

But thank you..I hope we will live happily ever after too :D

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE