You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

robb

• "robb" started this thread

Reg: Jun 1st 2006

Friday, October 24th 2008, 7:29pm

the waiting

My wife is 39 weeks but is getting braxton hicks every night, its pretty uncomfortable for her. The consultant has dropped hints that if the baby still hasn't arrived by next Tuesday, he'll induce her. Anybody know what the implications of this are?

Then we had a false alarm yesterday, as she had a ful sow, but nobody seems to know for sure whether this means its more likely to happen in the next couple of days or two weeks- again does anyone have experience of how long after a show the birth happens?

Cheers!

donz

• "donz" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 28th 2008

Children: Been blessed twice, Im so lucky!

Friday, October 24th 2008, 7:47pm

Hi Robb,

I cant answer all your questions because I had a planned c -section with ds but my friend just gave birth to a baby 2 days ago and she had a show the day before. I expect it does vary from woman to woman though.

Sorry I couldnt be much help, good luck, its such an exciting time for you both x

34 DH 31
TTC 5yrs
1 x IVF BFN
1 x FET BFN
3 x Clomid BFN
2 x I.U.I BFN

NYbird

Reg: Feb 17th 2008

Friday, October 24th 2008, 8:17pm

hi robb, with my first I had about a week and half of unestablished labor, so I can totally empathise. The consultant knows best but there are degrees of intervention. A cervical sweep or two could get things going and that doesn't involve drugs. With that, they would also assess her and give her a Bishop's Score (likelihood of going into full labor). I had a full show after 2 sweeps. Your wife could also go for a reflexology session. I had one and my waters broke the next day (coincidence maybe, but things got going!) Medical intervention would probably start with the hormone gel on the cervix and after that would be pitocin IV drip. When I was put on the drip, I also insisted on an epidural because I had been told contractions would be intense.

I would say that if she is really uncomfortable, make sure you let the midwives/consultant know and not let them fob you off. I went in twice before I just couldn't take it anymore and ended up being given a sedative because I was so hysterical and tired from being up all night for a week with irregular contractions, sleeping with my tens machine on... I wouldn't wish it on any woman!

Best of luck to you and your wife... you're little one is on the way!

cheers
Jen
Me 38, DH 34
Dx: PCOS, the works: no AF, excess hair, weight gain
Tx: 2 tamoxifen, 9 clomid, many IUIs, 2 IVF
Beautiful DD, 2yo from 2nd IVF
Dec 07 FET, failed
Feb 08 IVF No 3, BFP!
It's a boy!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "NYbird" (Oct 24th 2008, 8:18pm)

robb

Friday, October 24th 2008, 9:42pm

Thanks for the advice- much appreciated. Its our second so I think the lifting & looking after the older one (an energetic 18 mth ols) while I'm at work is making it worse, I've signed myself off now so at least I can help out more.

She had a stretch & sweep on Tuesday, that hasn't done the trick yet! One doctor also said that if you have sex then it can bring labour on, I've heard that a few times now, but I couldn't do that, I would feel like the world's biggest chauvanist pig!

THe doctors said that my wife's case is very hard to read, as first time round she didn't have a show at all, and they had to break her waters for her at the hospital, so this time round it seems to be different so they can't predict what's going to happen.

Exciting times! I'm much more nervous second time round, I have no idea why...

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Friday, October 24th 2008, 10:00pm

It's so frustrating isn't it? I had BH a show you name it and still went overdue! why will she be induced on tuesday?

I hope happens soon :D

robb

Friday, October 24th 2008, 10:13pm

She's in a bit of discomfort- she is barely sleeping at night with the Braxton Hicks- I guess its just a case of desperately wanting it to happen!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, October 24th 2008, 10:21pm

That's the end of pregnancy for you!!! We've ALL felt that discomfort and desperation, it's absolutely part and parcel, but ultimately induction isn't a natural method of getting babies out and can often lead to interventions which quite often lead to 'emergency' sections. Six weeks recovery after major abdominal surgery isn't really worth the inconvenience if it can possibly be avoided so if she can put up with the discomfort and wait for labour to start naturally she has a reduced risk of section.

I've never met one woman who isn't sick, fed up, tired, sore and desperate to get baby out by 39 weeks.

NYbird

Reg: Feb 17th 2008

Saturday, October 25th 2008, 8:33am

This is true Bells. In the end I had to have an emergency C because I couldn't get past 4cm dilated (my daughter was spine to spine with me). DD just wasn't going to come out and started to go into distress, so they had to go for a C. I'm praying I go into natural labor this time around, because I really don't want 6-8 weeks recovery when I need to look after an infant and three year old at home!

Robb, three of my NCT friends went into labor after having sex. It has a similar hormonal effect to the gel that is used for induction. We tried but it didn't work for us--I was so desperate to go into labor I was willing to try!! RE: the second time around... I agree I'm more nervous too... I think it's because the first time I didn't know what to expect and now I do!
Me 38, DH 34
Dx: PCOS, the works: no AF, excess hair, weight gain
Tx: 2 tamoxifen, 9 clomid, many IUIs, 2 IVF
Beautiful DD, 2yo from 2nd IVF
Dec 07 FET, failed
Feb 08 IVF No 3, BFP!
It's a boy!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE