You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "LadyLuck" started this thread

Sunday, April 9th 2006, 10:52am

Perineal Massage Oil

Has anyone thought about or considered this at all?

http://www.mumstheword.com/ProductList.a…7&C3=0&CatID2=0

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Sunday, April 9th 2006, 1:36pm

I was most frightened of tearing and always planned to try this - everyone says it really works to prevent episiotomies etc. In the event though by the time I got to 36 weeks or so, when they recommend doing it, I was too big and tired to bother! I heard that olive oil does the trick just as well.

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Sunday, April 9th 2006, 4:04pm

I also heard olive oil...

// Wella
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Sunday, April 9th 2006, 6:30pm

I may try it. I dont' really fancy it, but will give it a go. Maybe DH will do it for me as he is off [zx084] at the moment :D

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Sunday, April 9th 2006, 9:02pm

I agree with Geogie - this was something I planned to do last time but by the time I got to 36 weeks I was too big and it hurt to bend over that much - socks and underwear were a must -- as was going to the loo (tmi) - so I knocked it on the head and didn't bother. I did end up having to have an episiotomy though!!!!

I dont plan to do anything this time either ---- as I think its more important that I take the plunge and if bending for that long anyway think I should shave my legs -- whoppee!! -- don't want the midwives thinking I'm one of these new age women who don't believe is shaving body air --- should probably do lady bits too!!!!!

I normally paint my toe nails but its such an effort now just to try and cut them that I haven't painted them for about the last 3 months - can't wait for summer to have painted toe nails and wear jeans and flip flops (I will be in my pre-pregnancy jeans within weeks - I will - I mean it!!!!!)

xx
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

Sunday, April 9th 2006, 10:11pm

Ah Elaine - woman after my own heart! I didn't manage the massage but by god I made sure I shaved! even went for waxing but the pain was so bad I couldn't stand going back again! I had a pedicure a few days before my EDD and made sure the beauty therapist made a special effort to make sure it would last 2 weeks - well these things are important aren't they! My M/W's did notice the toenails too LOL!

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Monday, April 10th 2006, 6:34am

My DH is going to do the massage for me - I can barely reach when I have a wee let alone for extended periods of time LOL

Monday, April 10th 2006, 1:38pm

I was just thinking that actually, about the reaching and doing the job properly, I will struggle so will defo get DH to do it for me.

Rivka

Monday, April 10th 2006, 3:16pm

See below for info sheet I got from an NCT trainer. Hope its useful...

Prenatal Perineal Massage

If you are interested in avoiding an episiotomy, you may find that massaging your perineum can help you stretch for the birth of your baby. In late pregnancy, there is an increase in hormones that loosen connective tissue in preparation for the birth. Perineal massage further increases this elasticity. This massage also helps you learn to relax the pelvic floor muscles while they are being stretched - and this takes practice!

Perineal massage helps prepare you for the feelings of pressure and stretching that come as your baby's head is born. Knowing what some of the sensations will be like can help you to relax and give birth instead of tensing up and fighting the sensations such as stinging, tingling or burning that you may feel as your baby's head is born. Perineal massage can also encourage you to relax when you have a vaginal examination

You can begin any time during the last 6 - 8 weeks before your due date, as this coincides with the rise in hormone levels. Be sure to discuss this with your caregiver especially if you have genital herpes or vaginitis, as massage can worsen these conditions.

General Hints

v The first few times it is helpful to use a mirror to find the vagina and perineum and see what they look like.

v If you feel tense, take a warm bath or use a warm compress on your perineum for 5-10 minutes.

v If you have had an episiotomy with a previous birth, concentrate part of your massage on that area. Scar tissue is not as stretchy as the rest of your skin and needs extra attention.

v The position in which you give birth can affect the likelihood of perineal tearing and the need for an episiotomy. Upright positions (sitting, squatting, kneeling) or side-lying positions reduce the strain on the perineum. Lying on your back with your legs in stirrups makes an episiotomy almost inevitable.

v After childbirth, tone up the stretched vaginal muscles by doing pelvic floor muscle exercises as soon as possible (the birth day!) after your baby has been born.

Begin by emptying your bladder and getting into a comfortable position. You can lie down, propped with pillows into a half-sitting position; you can squat with your back against a wall, or sit on the toilet. A warm bath can help soften your tissues and relax you, or try hot compresses on your perineum.

First massage a good, natural oil into the area, such as wheat germ oil, almond oil, vitamin E oil, or any non-mineral oil. Massage and lubricate the skin and inner inch or so of the vaginal opening, and the lower vaginal walls. Pay special attention to any scar tissue from previous episiotomies or tears. Make sure hands are clean, nails are trim, and if your hands are rough, use disposable latex gloves (the thin surgical type).

Doing the massage yourself?

1. Wash your hands.

2. Choose a private place and sit or lean back in a comfortable position.

3. Put a lubricant such as KY Jelly, Almond Oil, Vitamin E Oil or pure vegetable oil on your thumbs and around your perineum.

4. Place your thumbs about 3-4cms inside your vagina. Press downwards and to the sides at the same time. Gently and firmly keep stretching until you feel a slight burning, tingling or stinging sensation.

5. Hold the pressure steady at that point with your thumbs for about 2 minutes until the area feels a little numb and the tingling sensation is not as apparent.

6. Keep pressing with your thumbs. Slowly and gently massage back and forth over the lower half of your vagina, working the lubricant into the tissues. Keep this up for 3-4minutes. Avoid the urinary opening.

7. As you massage, pull gently outwards (forwards) on the lower part of the vagina with your thumbs hooked inside. This helps stretch the skin as the baby'' head will stretch it during birth.

8. Do this once a day, starting around the 34th week of pregnancy. After about a week you should notice an increase in flexibility and stretchiness.

Your partner doing the massage Make sure you are nice and relaxed - maybe do some back and thigh massage to get you ready. With well-oiled index fingers, begin by placing them in the vagina up to about the first joint. Press down until the woman is slightly uncomfortable, then stretch out and up into the 'U' shaped motion. By slightly uncomfortable I mean that your partner should stretch you until you feel a tingling or burning sensation. This is the same sensation that you will feel when the baby's head begins to crown, which tells you 'Relax, open up, let go, stop pushing'.
Continue to massage for about 5 minutes.

As you massage each day, you will find that the tissues will noticeably soften and loosen. You will be able to insert two fingers to massage, and insert them to the second joint. You will notice the perineum stretching much wider, with less pain. This helps you to feel confident that a baby's head can surely pass through, that you can allow this to happen.

With fingers inside, do a pelvic floor exercise. Feel where the muscles are and how strong they are. The more pelvic floor exercises you do, the stronger and more tone they will have. Feel how uncomfortable the stretching of your perineum is when you tense this muscle. Try to consciously release this muscle as you massage. Remember the connection between your mouth, jaw and your bottom - if they are loose then your bottom will be too. Always end a massage session with a few pelvic floor exercises to keep the muscles well toned. Doing them after the birth helps to rehabilitate these muscles.

Monday, April 10th 2006, 6:35pm

thanks bec. sounds a bit painful though???

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 8:26am

I was goiing to try this but nevr got that far! It is supposed to really help though! Olive oil works just as well.

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 10:34am

As in Olive oil you cook with?

Rivka

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 11:18am

It does sound painful doesn't it! Keep meaning to start but somehow never really have the heart.

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 11:21am

I may start at the weekend as I will be 32 weeks. I am a bit worried thought about the uncomfortableness of it!

Rivka

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 11:24am

Give it a whirl!

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 11:28am

Yes defo will as i would rather that than tear or have to be cut. Its one of my fears too.

ASM

Reg: Nov 11th 2005

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 4:16pm

My sister used Sweet Almond oil, unfortunately she ended up requiring an episiotomy so all that work was wasted, hence I am not going to bother.

Torisen

Wednesday, April 12th 2006, 2:42pm

Sweet almond is not that rich in vitamin e...

www.essentiallyoils.com is the best place ever! I have been buying things from them for a few years and they always have the highest quality and they know their stuff!

Phone and ask them what oils they would use. I think I would go for a mix of evening primrose and sweet almond.

DP massages my tum every evening. Even when I am so tired that I am already asleep to prevent stretchmarks. We will see how it goes... Will make him do the perineal too.
Bit worried that he might get a bit carried away though...

Wella
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Reg: Jul 17th 2006

Sunday, February 24th 2008, 4:51pm

just wondered if any of the third tri ladies were going to do this....also how can you put oil there and not cause yourself thrush?!
Peppermint Patty

Me 29 - DH 34
PCOS & Male Factor
TTC 2yrs
3 x Clomid - 3 x BFN
Ovarian Drilling Nov 06
ICSI March 07 - BFP 4/4/7- OHSS - All Gone 12/4/7
ICSI Aug 07 - DR July 13th - Shock NATURAL BFP 25th July 07! - baby boy march 08
May 09 - VERY SHOCKING NATURAL BFP!!!! - Baby Girl Jan 10

Reg: Jul 18th 2007

Sunday, February 24th 2008, 6:44pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Torisen
I also heard olive oil...

// Wella

As long as its not the Chilli & garlic flavoured one it should be safe :P

Rivka

Sunday, February 24th 2008, 7:51pm

I don't think oil is a cause of thrush is it? May be wrong of course,

Lcli

Star

Reg: Apr 13th 2012

Sunday, February 24th 2008, 7:59pm

I've just read about this and saw that KY jelly was recommended.

it's not a bad idea to do even though it may sound a bit offish. Whatever it takes eh.

Reg: Jul 17th 2006

Sunday, February 24th 2008, 11:22pm

i have no idea if i should start this - just seems a bit weird.... and with the bump in the way - its got to be a job for dh!

i just thought that upsetting the ph balance there causes thrush - soaps etc - so thats what is confusing me about the oil....

anyone here done it and found it helped?
Peppermint Patty

Me 29 - DH 34
PCOS & Male Factor
TTC 2yrs
3 x Clomid - 3 x BFN
Ovarian Drilling Nov 06
ICSI March 07 - BFP 4/4/7- OHSS - All Gone 12/4/7
ICSI Aug 07 - DR July 13th - Shock NATURAL BFP 25th July 07! - baby boy march 08
May 09 - VERY SHOCKING NATURAL BFP!!!! - Baby Girl Jan 10

Torisen

Monday, February 25th 2008, 5:53am

I did it and had a perfect delivery!
Due to riding the perineum hardens a bit so it is a really good idea to do!
It helps you to get used to the feeling of stretching down there and will by doing that help you relax when you are pushing!

Z came out with no problems and I needed no stitches and I was a frequent perineal massager!!
DH tried to do it but I ended up shouting at him!!
It is not comfortable, it is not fun! But so well worth it!!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

• "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Monday, February 25th 2008, 12:02pm

Coz of 3 UTI's and then thrush I am not keen to try this - more fear of more discomfort down there but glad it helps!

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

Monday, April 14th 2008, 5:56am

I have googled imagages on this and it looks a bit odd but we have decided we should be giving it go if we want to avoid tears and rips at all costs.

I can't very well reach under my bump so successfully anymore so it'll be DH's job to do this :snigger:

Rivka

Monday, April 14th 2008, 6:59am

I'd say go for it. I would also say please do not worry too much about tearing, it might happen, it might not, but during labour you are unlikely to realise it has happened either way.

I had a second degree internal tear, caused by DD1 coming out with her fist next to her face. I didn't feel it happening, there was plenty else going on. I had some discomfort afterwards but nothing dreadful. DD2 reopened the scar tissue and again I didn't feel that happen. Healing that time seemed to take longer but again nothing terrible.

Monday, April 14th 2008, 8:20pm

Ohhh Rivka, I just crossed my legs reading that. Whats reassuring though is as you have said you can't feel it as there's far too much of everythign else going on.

If I can ever get DH off the Racing game on the PS I guess I'll manage a massage :snigger:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE