You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Peppa

• "Peppa" started this thread

Monday, June 30th 2008, 5:09pm

Overactive thyroid in pregnancy.

I suffer from graves disease (overactive thyroid) and thyroid eye disease which i have been on carbimazole for on and off for five years.
I had to stop taking it when i got my BFP but now, 9 weeks in, some of the symptoms are starting to return.

I had a blood test for TSH receptor antibodies at 6 weeks preg and am still waiting for the results. I was also promised that i would be seen by an endocrinologist at 8 weeks but i still have not heard from them and my old cons had referred me on to them, so i can't go back and see her :sadface:

Has anyone else had overactive thyroid in pregnancy, if so, how was it treated? I'm not sure if they will be able to offer me any treatment in the 1st tri so i don't know if i should bother chasing them up or not?

Any advice would be appreciated!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Monday, June 30th 2008, 5:11pm

Sorry hun, can't advise re: what treatment is safe as I am the other end of the spectrum. I would say defo chase them up though as strict control of thyroid levels is essential to a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby whether your levels be high or low...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rene" (Jun 30th 2008, 5:15pm)

Peppa

Monday, June 30th 2008, 8:32pm

Thanks for the advice Rene
I called my GP surgery and they are going to give me a blood test form in the morning to get it checked it out. They said that the antibodies test i had done should be back by now and the cons at the hospital should write to me, so i will give them until the end of the week to do that. That is the test that i've been most concerned about as it's the one that tells me if the baby is at risk or not.

At least my thyroid function is being tested in the meantime and that one is usually only a couple of days to come back and then i will have something on paper for when i complain to the hospital.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

alie

Star

Reg: Oct 14th 2007

Children: Alfred born 10.12.2008 Florence born 21.10.2011

Monday, June 30th 2008, 8:36pm

Hi Michelle,

I carn't help you specifically, but do you know the name of the new consultant, if so I would contact their secretary and make sure referral received, explain your situation and hopefully she can push things forward for you.

Good luck with it all XXXX

Me 42, DH 43
Nat Pg - m/m 05
unexplained infertility
4xIUI BFN, 1st IVF Oct 07 BFN
1st FET Feb 08 BFP

2nd FET Jan 11 BFP

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Monday, June 30th 2008, 8:47pm

I think Lorraine could help, I'll drop her a PM for you

xx

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Peppa

Monday, June 30th 2008, 8:56pm

Thanks Eeyore, that's really kind of you.

Alie - i don't know the name of my new cons or have a number or anything. The hospital is totally new to me as i'm used to St Georges but can't have the baby there as it's too far.
I might get in to see my old cons if the test results are high (which i suspect they will be)

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Reg: Oct 2nd 2007

Tuesday, July 1st 2008, 12:16pm

RE: Overactive thyroid in pregnancy.

Hey mate

Mines an underactive thyroid so different set up, but have had bloods done every 4 weeks and needed medication changing twice, so is worth being a pest and chasing your results. I've had a few problems so defo keep at them wont you.

Would recommend the book by Mary Shalom (something like that, not a great speller) on thyroid issues as is loads of info there for preggers women etc and might help?? Just look her up on amazon, she was a huge help to be when trying to research ivig etc

Hope this helps

C
x
Cathie

Proud mum to Eric after 3 years TCC!!!

Peppa

Tuesday, July 1st 2008, 12:44pm

Thank you Cathie, i will look up that book.

Got my blood test form so will go and have that done tomorrow

I did a naughty thing this morning and researched it on the internet X( i really wish i hadn't now because i found something about overactive thyroid in pregnancy and an increased risk of miscarriage and stillbirths :sadface:
I'm going to force myself to forget i read that and hope that it was an exaggerated piece of nonsense!!

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Tuesday, July 1st 2008, 9:11pm

Hey M

Try not to worry, but we are a little more high maintenance as the body does rely really heavily on the thyroid and related functions.

Its all very easy to control, but you do need to be looked after and monitored regularly and take your medication etc. I wish I had known more about how much the thyroid can (not always, but for some) effect your pregnancy.

The book will help you, she has an internet site too, and don't panic, remember knowledge is power and now you know you're a tad more delicate you can demand better medical care to make sure you and bump are ok....

Good luck, dont panic or worry, and dont take no for an answer

C
xx
Cathie

Peppa

Wednesday, July 2nd 2008, 12:41pm

Well the thing is i was told to stop taking my medication (carbimazole) as soon as i got BFP as it's not supposed to be used in pregnancy. I tried an alternative med that's supposed to be safer in pregnancy (shortened to ptu, cant remember the full name) but it stopped my blood from clotting properly i had to come off it.
I had my blood test this morning and will have the results on friday, i'm worried about what the suggested treatment will be.

At the moment i'm just trying not to do anything because i don't want to get my heart rate up and trigger all the symptoms again :sadface:

Thanks for the advice Cathie, i am trying not to worry - i prwomise :D

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

• "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Wednesday, July 2nd 2008, 6:22pm

Hello Michelle (I am Lorraine)

Unfortunately i am underactive and i am not sure at all about overactive thyroid. i would definitely advise you to keep on to your doctor and perhaps even ring up the Secretary and explain situation and keep ringing. I know that from a friend's experience who is in her late 50's that overactive is much harder to manage than underactive. I hope that you get the results soon.

Re: research on the internet: in my experience especially with the thyroid side of things it is best to not look up at all on the net. Long before I became pregnant, I did that and felt v.panicked. My thyroid is underactive and Endocrinologist just upped the dose to 150mcg as soon as I got BFP and then on the day of her birth I went back to normal dose. For overactive I am not sure of exact way it is treated but always best to follow consultant and doctors advice!

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

Peppa

Thursday, July 3rd 2008, 11:10am

Thanks Lorraine.
I'm sitting tight at the moment waiting for the blood test results to come back and then i will be able to start nagging the hospital again :snigger:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Peppa

Friday, July 4th 2008, 5:29pm

Got my test results back and it's not nearly as bad as i was expecting. TSH is a little on the low side and T4 a teeny bit high but no need for meds at the moment happydance
Doc said that the pregnancy hormones should be protecting me from it getting really bad that and only a small percentage of women need to stay on the meds throughout the pregnancy.
I will be tested again in two weeks time and if it's got worse then we will think about it then.

Even the TSH receptor antibodies test came back ok so at the moment there is no risk to the baby, obviously they will also repeat this test in a couple of week time - but at the moment i am so so relieved i could cry!

Thank you all for helping to keep me sane blowkiss

ICSI May 08 - BFP
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Peppa" (Jul 4th 2008, 5:30pm)

Friday, July 4th 2008, 8:16pm

Thats such great news babes, nice one, and if they're testing you every 2 weeks thats brilliant!!!

Very pleased you're not one of the few - its bloody expensive!!!!

C
xx
Cathie

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE