You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Fee

Ace

• "Fee" started this thread

Reg: Jun 22nd 2008

Children: Samuel - born Dec 6th 2009

Sunday, June 22nd 2008, 5:16pm

Zero/Low Fertilisation Chatter

Hi,
I'm a newbie, have just had my first failed icsi and have been totally
devastated since last monday. I'm coming up to 41 and was so optomistic when I had 10 eggs at Ec. The next day was told 9 of the
eggs had not fertilised with the one remainder only showing faint signs. which we lost the day after.

The embryologist and consultant have no explanations for us as they
thought the eggs and sperm were ok (picked the best sperm due to male factor)

We are self funded and feel so lost as we didn't even have the chance for Et. The consultant said we won't know until we try our second attemp if my eggs are no good. I am petrified this may be the end of the line for us to be parents. :bawl:

Fee
Me 42 Dh 41 Blighted Ovum 2006
1st ICSI (June 2008) Failed Fertilisation
Surprise Natural Pregnancy (July 2008) lost Sept
Surprise :BFP: March 09 please stay with us [zx076]
Heartbeat seen 2.5.09 9-10 weeks woohoo
6.12.2009 Samuel born 5.12pm 6ib 12oz :boy:

Reg: May 5th 2008

Sunday, June 22nd 2008, 7:00pm

Fee

I just want you to know YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
As you may have seen from one of the other threads on this site "no eggs fertilized" that there are a number of us "zero fertilization" girls in contact with each other. I am sure they will be along soon to reply to you and support you through this.

This happened to me and my dh 7 weeks ago. We have male factor issues, dh has low to fluctuating sperm count and high abnormal forms. We had our first icsi and they retrieved from me 10 eggs ( I am 36.. so that side of the dreaded 35). All of them appeared fine. My dh sperm count was low but they believed they had selected good looking sperm. However the day later we had a phone call and were told that we had zero fertilization, that the clinic was shocked and never seen anything like it.

It is absolutely devastating and the shock of the news really does effect you more than I ever imagined. But as I said you are not alone with this. It is hard and I am sorry to hear this has happened to another couple. It does get easier as time goes by.

Bx

Fee

Ace

Sunday, June 22nd 2008, 8:27pm

B

Thanks for replying and your support, our situations sound very similar. we are hoping to have our second attempt when AF returns - whenever that may be. Really apprehensive but as i'm older than you, i feel time is running out and if we don't try now we will never know. An emotional time and a very expensive one at that. We are not well off but we have to try don't we?

During my first go i found this site invaluable during the treatment, i'm glad i came across it.

I wish you all the best and wish you luck in the future.

Fee x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fee" (Jun 22nd 2008, 8:31pm)

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Sunday, June 22nd 2008, 9:56pm

Welcome to :FZ: Fee

I am so sorry to hear your news. :sadface: If you click HERE it will take you to the thread Bunny2tot is talking about.

I hope you like it on here, we have very friendly and supportive members, I hope you feel right at home with us all soon.

Here are some other links that you may find useful.

There is an abbreviations section HERE so you know what we're all going on about.

There is a getting started on fertilityzone thread HERE this contains everything you need to know about getting started on FZ and a few guidelines too.

There is a how to search section HERE so you can get the maximum benefit for the forum.

If you have any questions about anything, just ask. :smile:

Wishing you all the luck in the world with your TTC/ICSI journey, I hope you don't have to wait long for your BFP!!

blowkiss

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Soooz

Star

Reg: Apr 3rd 2008

Children: 2 sons - Natural shock 99 & ICSI miracle 04

Monday, June 23rd 2008, 9:28am

Hi Fee - so sorry to read about ure zero fertilisation. It does seem to be happening a lot at the mo. It has always made me wonder why consultants dont just do icsi or half icsi/half ivf if they get a good number of eggs. I know there is a further cost involved, but it's worth it not to have to fall down at this hurdle. Not that I'm saying there are any guarantees...

On a brighter note, many girls on here go on to have further cycles and it works. Some say the first cycle is used as a practice run (sorry if this sounds awful) - but the knowledge used from this cycle goes on to make future cycles successful.

I know it's difficult being self funding (i am also) but I do hope if you continue to try again u get ure bfp

:xxx3:
:flowerbasket:

Proud mum to two sons - natural unexpected in 1999 :8o: and ICSI in 2004 : D

We must let go of the life we had planned;
to have the life waiting for us

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Soooz" (Jun 23rd 2008, 9:28am)

Fee

Ace

Monday, June 23rd 2008, 10:14am

Thanks Susie,

I suppose that's what i am hoping for, we will just have to keep everything crossed!

It didn't help when the consultant asked if we had thought of adoption. Like this was the end of the road for a child of our own and my eggs were useless. I think he meant well, but they had no answers as to why it had happened and would keep my drug protocol the same next time. What worried me alot was the day before egg collection i had a lot of upsetting stress and i didn't know if this had in some way harmed the eggs. But i suppose i was looking for answers.

Also while down regging i re-took the synarel as i keep sneezing i didn't know if that had been a factor? Who knows

Fee

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fee" (Jun 23rd 2008, 10:15am)

Reg: Jun 6th 2008

Tuesday, June 24th 2008, 9:46am

Fee
so sorry to read your message. we have just had a go at IVF, I only had 2 eggs and they didn't fertilise. We too were upset as there seemed to be no reason. We are now waiting for our ICSI appointment. Like you i worried if i had done things wrong - i had a really bad back while DR and took lots of nurofen, no one said i shouldn't and then i read on this site that people avoid certain painkillers. So perhaps that was a cause?

I've read loads more things on here that have really helped me so i feel more positive about the whole experience and that there are lots of people all going through the same thing. When the first cycle failed it felt dreadful as we had so got our hopes up but we are getting ready to go again and now we know what to expect.

When we go for the next tx i will ask loads more questions and be a real pain in the butt :smile:

good luck to you, i'm sending you lots of positve thoughts
Stephie
xxx

Fee

Ace

Tuesday, June 24th 2008, 11:15am

Thanks Stephie,

I'm no expert but the nurse only mentioned not to take neurofen after Ec to me, if this is any help. I like yourself have found this site very helpful for all the little niggly questions i had. No one will think you are a pain in the butt you ask away, i am quite new to all this but if you every need to pm me feel free i will help in whatever way i can :smile:

On the positive side for you you will be going on to icsi - my worry was i had already had icsi (due to male factor) and drawn a blank. But i will remain optomistic. Typical isn't it i have spent years trying to avoid AF now praying for it to come he he.......

Take care Stephie, be strong perhaps our dreams will become reality :smile:

Reg: Mar 17th 2008

Children: One step daughter

Tuesday, June 24th 2008, 2:50pm

Hi Fee,
I am sorry to read your thread, I started exactly the same thread as you a couple of months ago! I to am one of the unlucky few that had zero fertilisation with ICSI. I am 32, DH is 37, I had 12 eggs, 3 were too small, 4 fertiliised abnormally, 2 didnt survive the injection process and 3 did nothing! We have dont some research in to this but havent really had any answers. We have read about sperm defragmentation being a possible cause and my DH is booked in for the test in 2 weeks time. I will keep you posted. It costs £500 which is a lot but if it is the problem then we feel worth spending the money as cheaper than having another whole cycle for the same result. We are self funded to, and it aint cheep is it!
I spoke with the embryologist that performed my ICSI and he basically said that when they get a zero fertilisation result the embryologist basically think sh*t, what have I done! Great eh. I mentioned Buhito (another girl in Madrid that had same result) and he asked me to ask her the number of PM in her eggs, so perhaps might be worth you asking the question? I just think there has been enough research in to egg problems thats why there is no answers.
I really feel for you both, it is such a dreadful blow and it has taken me some time to get back to normal, not even sure I am there yet.
I wish you all the luck humanly possible and I hope you find the strength (and money!) to have another go. We should be having our next go in a couple of months, maybe it will work out same time for us so we can support each other?
Good luck, I hope you find some answers and get a whopping :BFP: very soon!
xx
P.S We had ICSI as my DH has only 2% normal forms, I just wondered if this was the same for you?
xx

First ICSI April 08 - 9 eggs, zero fertilisation :bawl:
2nd ICSI Sept 08 - 10 eggs, 100 % fertilisation ?( - BFN tho
Natural FET January 30th - BFN
NK Cells Test 22nd April - Result - Normal.
ICSI 3 - November - BFN

Reg: May 7th 2008

Tuesday, June 24th 2008, 4:04pm

Hi fee,

so sorry to hear this has happened to you as well. As Bunny and Mel have already told you, unfortunately we are in the same situation and while we are doing our best efforts to find out why it happened we still have come to no conclusions. In my case the problem lies with me, as DH sperm is OK (and has proven he could fertilise donor eggs), so we are changing clinics in September to one of the most advanced research centers in Europe...
I would like to give you better news, but don't lose hope. I have had two ICSIs, with 13 and 19 eggs and none fertilised, which left me devastated but I'm pretty sure it all lies with something they haven't detected yet, maybe another hormone, but I will keep on looking into it and keep you posted on any advances.

We're here for anything you want and wish you the best of luck

Mel, have you found out what PM is exactly? Im seeing my doctor on Thursday and it would be a good opportunity to ask him

Fee

Ace

Tuesday, June 24th 2008, 4:12pm

Mel,

Thanks for replying, our circumstances sound very similar tho i am older than you.I am 40 and DH just 39, he has 2% normal forms also. Excuse my ignorance what are PM in our eggs? The embryologist did say in 3 of my eggs i had 3 nuclei and should have gone down to 2 but didn't? I also read about Buhito my heart went out to her and you also. The test for defragmentation sounds very interesting, yes please do let me know what happens. Like yourself i have been manically tring to do research into this and come up with a different theory for my DH when we get in from work every night!!! I too will be going for my 2nd as soon as my AF reappears, did it take a long time for you? We are both still very stunned by the result, we were both so optomistic, i'm just terrified it will happen again. Perhaps it will be a quick way for me to know that my eggs are past their sell by date :sadface:

I shall try to remain poitive - it's just i gave up smoking caffeine paid out load for acupuncture months before and this happens i really tried everything - it' just not fair is it. At least on this site we have a common goal and if you every need any support i am here :xxx3:

Take care Fee

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Fee" (Jun 24th 2008, 4:17pm)

Fee

Ace

Tuesday, June 24th 2008, 4:20pm

Hi Buhito,

I read your thread also and really felt for you, i will keep researching also and my thought and hopes are with you :smile:
Thankyou for your support x

Fee

Tuesday, June 24th 2008, 6:28pm

Mel, Buhito and Fee...

Wow this group of no fertization ladies seems to be growing. Not a good thing obviously but at least it makes you feel less of a freak. Slightly begs the question.... whats going on?

I wanted to report back to you my findings. I just want you to know I am clearly on a mission here. Its not that I wasnt pleased with the clinic I was treated at in terms of how I was treated, its just that I wanted some second opinions. So I went to see a consultant at a top fertility clinic in the UK today. I am off to see another on friday. My parents have kindly offered to pay for it - otherwise I certainly wouldnt be able to afford it. Love my parents.

I have to say the consultant today was alot more positive. I am aware, they arent the ones who did my first cycle, so they can be. But I think their comments were valid.
They explained that there are a lot of factors that can go wrong, you take the eggs out of their natural enviroment, they have to be put in an incubator, injected... etc etc. It is possible that it was just bad luck. They have, however, never seen this before with parameters like ours.

They definately think we should go ahead and try again. Every cycle is different, and it might just work next time. A risk worth taking. In our case they do believe it is a male factor issue because of dh fluctuating counts.

We are still waiting for dh fragmentation results and aneuploidy results but even if they are negative apparently it doesnt mean we shouldnt try again.

I do, obviously feel a whole lot more positive.
I think they are basically saying it could just be one of those things and should definately try again.

Buhito and Mel, I asked them what pm meant. It means post mature, and refers to eggs not suitable to be injected because they are over-ripe ... you could say.

Mel the symptoms we both experienced in the stimulation period are quite normal.

Buhito, definately think you should try top clinic. Hope you okay. The sailing trip sounds fab.

Fee.. hope you are bearing up. It is extremely hard to get your head around this. As i told buhito and Mel, my conclusion was to buy a kitten... which is now slowly destroying my house!! Has definately helped though. It will get easier. The more you research, the better I felt..... i think.. well mostly. Its good to get the facts. With regards to after symptoms I got my af about day 12 after ec. My next period (apparently first real period after af) was, like Mel, late.

Umm think that was the jist of it. Its good to be given a bit of hope.

Just want bloody arm to get better now.

Will report back on friday after my next detective mission.

Bx

Fee

Ace

Tuesday, June 24th 2008, 6:41pm

Thanks B For sharing all your info sounds more positive,

As for the Kitten thing, i have a 3yr old chocolate labrador and two 5 week old kittens so perhaps we are both on the same wave length, but i have over compensated more, probably due to my older years LOL

Fee

p.s. I don't usually spend mot of the day on the computer but am still on AL after EC so bored....................

Tuesday, June 24th 2008, 6:51pm

thanks bunny for your report! I just hope we can shed someday a bit of light on this. My scepticism was that it's happened twice, so is anything else wrong with me. I have to say I written to Mr Palermo, to see if he can give me some explanation. I will also be sending all my report to the top clinic in Spain by the end of the week as they have a virtual diagnose programe, so before going to see them I want them to do some research... :smile:

If it's post maturity, then none of mine were, on the first cylce all 13 were all Blastocyt II on the collection day, and on the second out of the 19, 17 were BII, so all OK in principle.

Have a well deserved rest tonite ladies...

Wednesday, June 25th 2008, 2:31pm

Well, Bunny! You have been on a mission havent you! Thanks for sharing and giving more hope, time will tell I guess. Although I have to say I dont know when or indeed if we will be having another go. This all seems to have taken its toll on my marriage. I just havent coped very well with it and working with DH every day has been more of a struggle. He seems to think that I should be over it now but I am still so upset, the idea of never having a child of my own is just too much to bear. DH has a daughter and although he says he feels the same as me, I doubt very much he does. I think I have pushed him away really, I have taken out all my anger on him and dont know what to do to change?! To start with the whole thing pulled us so close together, he did all my injections and was there every step but now we are worlds apart. Sorry to be a winger, I am quite blue today and so tired all the time :bawl:
Fee, AF was a couple of days later than my usual cycle after ec so dont do what I did and panic! I thought that was it and I had used up all my eggs and was getting the menopause!
Buhito, I will feed back about the PM in your eggs to my embryologist and see what he says.
Ladies, I think toegether we can sort this out! We dont need the docs, we have found more out on our own!! :snigger:

ICSI 3 - November - BFN

Wednesday, June 25th 2008, 3:34pm

Mel,
Sweetie, you can't judge your marriage now. The process is really long and can very difficult for both you and DH, but now is not the time to take big decisions that are not baby related or to try to change things in your life. I'm really sorry to read things are not going well between both of you, but try to talk with him and tell him how you feel exactly, your fears, your pain. Sometimes they just don't understand how our head works and moreover when we are under the hormone influence. So you just need to get a bit of perspective and also try to understand how he might feel although their approach to this process is different to ours.

DH and I have always got along well, he is the most patient man I've ever met and there have been times when I thought I hated him during the process or when he was mad at me cause I could not help being sad or I was in a constant mood change. But we've talked it over and, while I think he still does not get how I feel 100%, he understands much more how I feel during the process.

Anyway, only you know what's really going on between you two, but be aware that you are under a lot of stress and pain now and once the pain has gone a little away, you'll see things differently.

I've had to accept that there is a really high chance that I won't have my own kids, but I think that you are not a mother because you gave that cell to the baby. What makes you a mother is getting up whenever the baby cries, taking care of him, educating him, playing with him... BUT NEVER FORGET THAT YOU ARE STILL NOT DONE WITH THIS!!!!! TRY AGAIN AND KEEP ON RESEARCHING. wE'LL FIND THE ANSWER AND WE'LL GET OUR BABIES. I'M SURE OF THAT.

I send you a huge hugh :hugs: and try to do something that cheers you up, go to the movies, shopping, have a wine with a friend, to let your brain rest a little bit of this whole process!

Fee

Ace

Wednesday, June 25th 2008, 5:17pm

Mel,

Sorry you are blue today it comes in waves dosen't it. I too have been so tired all the time. Men do certainly deal with things in a different way to us, my DH is very supportive overall but does have his moments. I do not think they can fully understand the full impact being childless has.
We are here for you if you need someone additional to talk to. Since talking to you all i have felt more positive in myself, thankyou all for that :smile: I called my embryologist and asked her about the test for defragmentation and she said she could not test for that (i am at crm in coventry). She did however suggest we tried half donor sperm on our next cycle. To see if it was my eggs were at fault. She said it would be invaluable for research. A very big decision to make.
Yes i agree we have found out more information on our own that the doctors have told me. I read a write up on defragmentation and one cause was a fever/virus, my dh had mumps 10yrs or so ago so you never know. There certainly dosen't seem to be enough research into causes does there.

Take care Mel,
Fee

Friday, June 27th 2008, 7:03pm

So Ladies...my mission continued today with my next consultant opinion.

Basically the definately think that we should try again. This consultant advised that we change the stimulation protocol, basically doing the antagonist protocol ( a shorter protocol) as opposed to the long protocol. Which is what Dr Palmero suggested (man who developed icsi)

Basically I have seen three different consultants, and got different advice each time. Which in itself is confusing and has clearly led me to the conclusion that fertility science helps increase your chances but the rest is down to human nature and there really isnt anything anyone can do about this. When things go wrong with fertilization, at this stage science cant say why.

The three consultants I have seen are all clearly amazing, talented people and were all so very nice. I just feel I have to say that. I am amazed at how much they want to help people like us with fertility issues. I am so thankful these people exist.

But I guess they can only do their best and the rest is down nature at the end of the day. Age is an issue too.

So my options at this stage are...
1) half dh icsi, half ds ivf
2) try exactly the same protocol again, icsi all with dh
3) try different protocol, icsi all with dh

My dh and I are going to go away for a couple of days...and within the next couple of weeks make a decision. Fee like you, I feel age is not particularly on my side, so need to get on with it.

Basically no fertilization with icsi happens in 2% of couples trying ivf. So unfortunately we are all those a rare cases. But the big headline is that just because it happens once, or even twice, it doesnt necessarily mean it will happen again... though of course it could.

My conclusion is that there are no real answers, its just about deciding how many times we can go through this, and also how much money we can afford to spend. It seems so unfair to be in this situation when most people get it for free, without the emotional, physical or mental upheaval.. but I guess thats just life..eh.

I hope this kind of helps you other ladies. I definately think that you need to look into finding the clinic which does have the best track record for icsi in your area that the nhs, or money can pay for. The statistics are so different. Its worth going for the best especially when so challenged.

Mel, I am so sorry to hear you and your dh are suffering. It is difficult times for any couple. Maybe your holiday will help. Its also hard if you both work together. I know that going back to work has definately given me and my dh some headspace, and time not to wallow. Lots of people keep saying you should go away, I really do think this would be good, but because we are both in the same situation, feel the same, we are not really going to be getting away from the issue because we just have to look at each other to see the pain. But lets see.

Buhito... hope this all helps. As I say Buhito, yes defo go to the best Valencia has to offer.

Fee I will probably be starting a new cycle soon, so will be doing it around the same time. How are you furry little ones?

Will keep you all posted.... off to build up the courage to do it again

Bx

Ps I have been meaning to say this for ages but Buhito... your written English is brilliant, where did you learn to write it so well.

Fee

Ace

Saturday, June 28th 2008, 12:14am

Hi B,
The kitten are lovely 5 months, not weeks! Keeping us busy. Thanks for sharing all your new info. Read a nice final success story on another site, one of the girls there had her first cyle with failed stimulation, second Zero Fertilisation (with icsi) and a month later a natural BFP, so a loverly outcome. Have had a look at the short protocol, meant to be good for older women and ones with high FSH levels, mine was 9 last time. Got to get it checked before we try again. My consultant didn't offer me the short protocol, siad he felt i produced a good number last time so best to leave it the same. I will probably have another talk with him before next time, Af arrived yesterday. At least everything is still working. I actually miss the injections etc at least i was trying to do something constructive :smile: An odd time this inbetween time.
Enjoy your time away, i think we are going to ttcc naturally for a couple of months maybe leave it for 3 cycles. Still staying off caffeine etc and dh doing the same and taking his vitamins. Don't think i will be able to afford the acupuncture next time around which is a shame. I have been so tired since after Ec did you feel the same?
Can't seem to shake it.

Fee

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fee" (Jun 28th 2008, 12:15am)

Monday, June 30th 2008, 6:15pm

Hi girls,
wow Bunny, you've clearly been on a mission! Thanks a lot for all that info. I studied english when I was a kid and then lived in london for three years so that's where my english comes from, although since I don't use it that much, I've been losing a lot of vocabulary, but now I have you girls to practise... :snigger: and work of course.

I've started talking to the dr in Valencia, he is a kind of Dr House, loves researching and is quite interested in our case (as we are now 4 in the same situation). First thing he has asked for is to run an Antimullerian Hormone test. apparently they have recently found that this hormone can predict very well what will be the ovarian response to IVF-ICSI, whether it is in terms of number or quality. I went today to have it tested and results take 5 weeks, so I'll let you know what comes out of this. He says it is all very weird and thinks the doctors missed something, so he wants to do research on this during the summer and depending on the hormone results have another go in September... I'll let you know if he finds anything!

Mel, how are you feeling? I hope things are going better with DH.
Fee, it took me quite some time to recover from stimming, EC, etc, but now I'm full of energy ready for the summer, so it's prob just a matter of time.

Have a good evening!

Tuesday, July 1st 2008, 10:06am

Hello girls!
Bunny, or should I say Sherlock! sherlock You have done so much investigating! It sounds like you have a lot of thinking to be doing over the next few days?
Me and DH have had a long chat and are still definitely going to try again. We have not done as much research as you but the advice we have had has been similar. My feeling is that if DH gets all clear from de fragmentation test then I think I will assume it is definitely an egg problem. I would like to try all my eggs with half ICSI and half traditional IVF but I am going to ask for donor eggs to be waiting in the wings if I get zero fertilisation with mine. Similar to you Buhito. I just dont think I can go through it all again without a contingency! I know it will cost more money (god knows how much!) but I would rather save up and do it this way, I just want to get to having some embros put back in this time!!!
It sounds funny but I cant wait to start injecting again! Last time DH did all injections and it brought us really close, I think he quite enjoyed inflicting pain on me! When the next treatment will be is difficult to say, I would like to try again as soon as af arrives when we get back from holiday but all depends on dh test results etc..... :hairout
Buhito, I was going to say the same about you english, very good and has got even better! I am ashamed to say I am rubbish at other languages :O
The weather in Southampton is beautiful! We work from our conservatory and the sun is beating in on the side of my head as I type! Wish I had the day off to make the most of it as will probably change tomorrow! :windy:
Take care girls.
xxx
P.S This will probably sound a bit weird (probably the sun affecting me!) but all though none of us have ever met, I have imagined faces for you all and feel like we have known each other for years!
xx

ICSI 3 - November - BFN

Tuesday, July 1st 2008, 12:02pm

Mel, why don't you ask your doctor about the antimullerian hormone. It can help you deal with your eggs uncertainties, and now I know this hormone exists I would have never tried ICSI, with the amount of money and time and emotions linked to it without knowing that everything was OK according to this hormone. I'll let you know what my new Dr House tells me tonite.

I'm glad to see you're feeling better. I'm horrible at imagining faces, but I do feel I've known you for quite a long time. It's weird how this is the only place where I feel completely understood, as we 4 have had to undergo the same unfortunate circumstances!

Big kiss from Spain where people are still celebrating we won the Eurocup, I'm not a footie fan but I have to say I felt really proud of the team when they won!!

B, fee, how are you today???

Tuesday, July 1st 2008, 10:17pm

I have to say I am struggling a bit with the thought of doing this all again. I went to Wimbledon today, and instead of enjoying the tennis found i just couldnt keep my mind off it. Kept thinking things like how many women in here are having fertility issues.. etc etc.

I just dont know if I have got the guts to go through it again. I am so dissappointed in my lack of courage. I mean I am sure I will but it just seems quite an ordeal. I have clearly been thinking about it alot... but its just that doing something like this really exposes you to shock/emotional levels that normal natural trying to concieve would never have exposed you to. Am I making sense. Its like when you ttc naturally, as I am sure you all started off doing, you did get a lot of dissappointment when you af came along, but doing this icsi treatment, is exposing you to unnatural high shock level, that nature would never give you. I really hope I am making sense. And I so dont want to have to go through this again.

Anyway, I am sure over the next few weeks I will know what to do. Where do we get the courage. I just get scared of long term effects too of doing this lots of times. Do you ladies think these things too?

Buhito... you sound like you have found the right consultant... this is great news indeed.

Bx

Wednesday, July 2nd 2008, 9:19am

Hi B,

what you say makes perfect sense. It's unnatural we have to go through all this and once we've been through the stimming, the ecos, the money and our reaction to the hormones, we have not got a single ray of hope. And the worst of all is that we have to go through it all again without having the certainty it will work but just cause the doctors say we should try again. It's not easy and I think none of us was ready to have to face this situation. :tear:

However, i have to say that having gone through this twice and with the same results, the second time was a little less hard to recover form the emotional shock. Something inside of me was kind of discounting this could happen. It hurts, and every negative will hurt, and I find it really unfair that we have to go through this when so many people can get pregnant without even wanting to. Additionally, I cannot even dream of getting a :BFP: without stimming as I do not ovulate without ttc, so it really sucks. :angry:

But complaining is not going to take us any further. So we need to be strong and try again... Someday hopefully we will have our baby5 in our arms and we will be able to forget about this nightmare...

Hope you have a good day ladies.
Still no news from my Dr House.

Fee

Ace

Wednesday, July 2nd 2008, 8:48pm

Hi Ladies,

I've been back on nights this week so a bit of a shock to the system and i haven't been sleeping very well. Too much time on my own at work to think! Computer has a glitch so the screen is not at 100% so it makes typing this a challenge :smile: Buhito I too worry about the long term affects of the treatment, i worry i'm 41 soon and that i am going to use up all my eggs doing all this. I am so desperate to try again, every day is a bit of a chore. I have asked to be put on the waiting list for donor eggs jut in case this happens again. It's an 18 month wait but at least if my eggs turn out to be no good there will still be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Got to get off to work in 10min so sorry it's a short one, dh will hopefully fix the computer so it's a bit easier. More time tomorrow to reply properly.

Take care ladies
Fee

Thursday, July 3rd 2008, 10:19am

Good morning ladies!
Bunny, I am sorry to hear you sounding so down, it is very unlike you. You have been so strong the last month and a tower of strength and hope to us all! I completely understand what you are saying as I feel the same way to. I think you have the courage to do it again, you have more courage than a lot of women I know. For one, you have taken the bull by the horns and gone on and tried to find answers for what has happened when others (me!) have just buried their heads in the sand!! They do say knowledge is power and I agree with that but at the same time sometime you can know too much, if you know what I mean? Its mind boggling what has happened to us all and the fact that there is no explanation is infuriating. Maybe now it is time to decide what you feel in side is the next best step and just go for it. Can can definitely do it again, we are all in this together now! Never doubt your courage, ever!
Fee, I know what you mean about lack of sleep and feeling tired all the time! Tell me about it! Even after I have had about 8 hours sleep I am still so tired, but then I was a tired person before the treatment :yawning: I reckon its just our minds not relaxing as thinking too much even in our sleep! thinkthink
I am going to ring my clinic soon and make an appointment for a consulation. We are thinking about perhaps going to Spain for our next treatment as the rules on egg doning seem more leniant and eggs seem more readily available. 18 months is a long time, too long for me! Is that the case Buhito? From what you said they seem to have eggs just waiting! My clinic offer a half treatment at their clinic and half, i.e e/c and e/t in Spain so I am going to make enquiries. I am going to go through all the stimming etc and try with my own eggs and fingers crossed I may get fertilisation next time but if not, then I want eggs!!! We have opted for Spain as feel I could get away with it, I have dark hair, eyes and olivey skin anyway.....
Buhito, when is your holiday? I can t wait for mine now, only a couple weeks :cheeers:
We are going :tent: this weekend with dsd and a few friends, there is a festival in Guildford so that should be good. Very old school (not like Glastonbury!) I think Blondie, Dodgy and Kula Shaker are headling!! You get the drift....
Anyway, take care and speak to you all soon.
xxx

ICSI 3 - November - BFN

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 8:45am

Hello girls, where are you all?
Hope you are all ok??
We have decided that we are going to definitely have our 2nd treatment as soon as a/f arrives after holiday, should be mid August, scary! And have also decided to go with half ivf/half icsi all dh sperm (depending on test results, obviously!!)
I feel quite excited about it now.
Hope to speak to you soon.
Take care

xx

ICSI 3 - November - BFN

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 12:12pm

Hi girls and sorry I've not been writing much these days but I wanted to have good news to tell you, which I sort of have now although I am pending a final discussion with my "dr. House". I received his first assessment last week and he said that everything was very weird that he had detected several discrepancies in the protocol and that, depending on the AMH results, he recomended us to try again in Sept but using using cryotop with the oocytes (i.e. freezing them). I still need to discuss this with him.

I finally got the results of the AMH test and if the normal is to have it below 31, I have 164. While this is not great, what I've read so far is that this indicates PCOS which I already knew I have but it also indicates that my eggs have good quality. So, I called the Dr but could not reach him, and will most likely be talking to him this afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes.

And how are you girls feeling?
Mel, you're about to go on hols!!!! I'll be going on the 25th of July, two weeks sailing and then on the 17th of August we have planned a diving trip, so it's all boats this year but we both love the sea and we kind of needed it this summer.
Fee, how are you feeling? You're working nights??? What do you work in?
Bunny, ready for the next try???

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 1:33pm

Hi Buhito,
That all sounds like much more positive news doesnt it? Although the test showed your AMH Levels are high now you know that then maybe there is something they can do about it? I will definitely mention this to my consultant. I have rung this morning to make an appointment and am waiting a call back..... :rolleyes:
I have just sent an email now to my embryologist letting him know what you have told me and asking whether he feels I should have this AMH test. I am a little suprised/annoyed that they have not mentioned this test to me!!! He is on holiday at the moment but hopefully he will come back to me soon.
Your holidays sound wonderful, bet you cant wait? I cant wait for my holiday either, the weather is so crappy, hasnt stopped raining for last 3 days! :windy:
We went on a shopping spree on Monday and treated ourselves to some new clothes! Amazing what a bit of retail therapy can do eh!
Hi Fee, how are you?
Bunny, how you doing? Getting worried about you as not heard from you for a while, hope you are feeling a bit more positive?
Are any of you on Facebook? Also, if anyone would like to have a more private conversation my email is mclarke@air-control.co.uk
Speak soon
blowkiss
xxx

ICSI 3 - November - BFN

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 10:05am

Hiya ladies...
We got my dh results back and we have been told everything is normal. The only slight issue was his dna fragmentation results. Anything under 15% is normal, anything over 30% means you are unlikely to father children. My dh count was 16%. The consultant said this could be a factor as to why fertilization didnt occur. I am now trying to find out from other women what this actually means. Do most men have aroudn 1 -2 % mark ... basically how close to normal is dh.

I have to say we still are discussing the next best step. We will definatley be doing it again... its also a matter of timing as I really need a good holiday. I bet you girls are looking forward to yours. I definatley need one before I start again. I feel knackered... probably just all the anguish.

Anyway the other bad news was that I got my bloods tested again aswell and my fsh has risen from 10.6 to 12.4. I am not suprised considering the stress this causes but starting to worry that this ivf malarky is not really doing me much good.

I think we will be doing our next treatment cycle in early september. Crikey.

thanks for words of encouragement

Bunnyx

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 11:24am

Hey bunny,
Nice to have you back!
Sorry I have no input about the de-fragmentation test results, Steve has his test on Monday so I will ask a few q's when I go in with him. Just to the clinic, not going in to the actual cubicle! Oh no, he is on his own there!! :snigger:
I would suggest that you post the results on the Sperm Scientist thread tho, she will definitely be able to give you some info.
Sounds like we will be doing 2nd treatment around the same time then, that will be good as we will have each other for support [zx181]
Tell me about the tiredness to! My mum said that I am always tired lately and now I have done my neck in so walking around like a zombie! Still, nothing 2 weeks in the sun wont fix! You should definitely try to squeeze a holiday in before you next treatment, have a few drinks and good food and relax before we start again!
Take care.

xx

ICSI 3 - November - BFN

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 12:46pm

Bunny, sorry I can't help you with those sperm results, hope you find your answer shortly!!!!
It seems September will be a big month as I will probably join you with my third treatment... !!!!! Still waiting for my doc to call me. I'll let you know if I manage to get him on the phone!
Mel, you're leaving next Friday??? I will leave on Thursday of the following week...
Fee, where are you???

Fee

Ace

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 11:08pm

Hi,
Came off nights on Monday morning yawn... :smile: I work a week on 70 hours and then a week off. So I take a few days to recover. I've been decorating the bathroom to keep my mind occupied. I work with young offenders I am a custody officer girls and boys 12-18, Some of whom are vulnerable. Part of my week I work with the mothers and babies, which we have two, one young girl went into labour on Sunday so soon to be three.
I'm jealous you are going on your hols soon, god it's not stopped raining here. By trade I am a graphic designer for 9 years I ran a company.
We are looking into fostering, social services are coming out on the 24th to see us. She will give us some more into and we will decide if it is the way to go, we will see.

Take care all
Fee x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fee" (Jul 10th 2008, 11:10pm)

Fee

Ace

Saturday, July 12th 2008, 12:09am

Hi Ladies,
Another lady kalai has had a zero fertilisation with icsi :sadface: Bunny already knows as she has left a reply. Poor girl :tear:

Fee

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fee" (Jul 12th 2008, 12:10am)

Monday, July 14th 2008, 11:49am

Morning ladies, just saw the new thread, well the only thing I can think about is that there must be an explanation as to why this happens and we'll get to it.

I finally got the news from the Dr. He says he doesa not understand wht can have gone wrong as the Anti mullerian Hormone revealed that I have very good ovarian reserve and of good quality so he thinks something went wrong and that I will be able to have my own children. As you'll remember I had an abnormally high level, but he told me that this is associated with Polyquistic ovaries (which I've always had) and he's put me on metmorfin this summer and gievn me an appointment to start trying in September.

So, we will give it another try in September. I have to confess, I'm not sure if it will work or not. I would have liked to hear, look they forgot about this hormone, but unfortunately, there is no explanation, and we will have to try back in September to see if it finally works.

How were your week-ends?

Wednesday, July 16th 2008, 10:27pm

LADIES..how am I going to get through my next weekend.

In short, heres whats happening. One of my bestest friends, like ALL my closest girlfriends, had a baby boy about 4 months ago. I am of coursed pleased for her, and was chuffed to be asked to be a godmother.

Firstly I just wish I could have accepted this role with full happiness but it just feels like I cant be a good godmother, when I am so clearly secretly harbouring huge jealousy issues.

Anyway she lives in Australia, but has come back for a holiday visit. She wanted to hold a baby naming ceremony, and as my dad runs weddings in a barn I suggested to do it there.

Okay, so this is all fine... except that the baby naming weekend is now upon us. About 100 of my old friends, closest friends are turning up. Many of them with their own children, babies etc. I just dread these type of events. And now to make things worse she would like me to do a speech about what it means to me to me to be a goodmother.

I absolutely love this friend dearly. We have been through thick and thin. I want this day to be great for her. I just keep saying to myself...its not about me this day, its about her, her dh and lovely new son.

But want I really want to stand up and say is... how bloody unfair this all is and where is my baby.

oh... how I am dreading it. I seem to just go into this kind of robot mode and put on a front and pretend I am happy, almost to much of a front to compensate.

Also as it is at my dads, there will be lots of.... you next... when are you going to stop being a career woman type comments.... I havent told my dad about the ivf.

Feeling truelly sorry for myself.

Anyway just wanted to tell some ladies who can really understand. How do you ladies cope? I have to say this is completely changing me in terms of my personality. Do you guys feel this too? I used to be so sociable, now I find myself double checking situations and getting myself out of social gatherings.

Anyway... all slightly off the point. But just wondered how you deal with it.

Bunnyx

Thursday, July 17th 2008, 12:56pm

Hi Bunny,

wow, that looks like a hard week-end ahead. I totally understand you as that's how I felt... all my friends are having babies and I can't and just tried to avoid situations with pregnant women or with kids... but we need to get some perspective into all this and we can't just let it ruin our lives. Since my second failed ICSI I've tried to make myself aware that I might net be able to conceive, but I'm lucky enough to be married to a fantastic man, to be both healthy and have many things to be grateful for. You might want to talk to your friend about what you are going through in order to avoid the speech or if not gather all your strength and do it. But I guess that if she is such a good friend she'll understand your feelings. I've told my close friends and parents about the tts and everyone has been very understanding and helped me avoid the "when are you going to have babies" kind of questions... But bottom line what helps me get over this is that this is hard enough on its own as to let it ruin my life...

Huge hughs!

Friday, July 18th 2008, 9:36am

Morning girls!!!
Just came in to wish Mel good hols, I won't be able to speak to you until the week of the 11, when I'll be back from mine, so enjoy the cruise!!!

bunny, ready for the week-end? I'll be thinking of you hoping it will be easy

Fee, what about you? How are you holding up?

I went yesterday to Bruce Sprigsteen concert in Madrid and understood why they call him the Boss. How great that was! He sang non-stop for 3 hours, holding the public's hands and singing sogs people asked for and finished with ten minutes of "twist and shout". It was awesome. clap
Plus I took to the concert my cousin who has just got divorced and has two kids, one of them a 1yr old baby with a heart sickness and seeing her going absolutely crazy, jumping and dancing, :dance: forgetting about it all was great... :weehee:

Anyway girls, I hope you all have a great week-end and/or hols
xx

Friday, July 18th 2008, 11:36am

Hello!
Bunny, sorry didnt get chance to reply to you yesterday, meant to but everytime I sat down something came up! Its a tricky one this weekend thing, sounds awful! I completely understand and would feel exactly the same as you. I am a bridesmaid for my sister in November and dreading it as no doubt by then I will have received my 2nd news of zero fertilisation! She is 8 years younger and planning on ttc straight away, it will devastate me I know it but there isnt anything I can do about it! You know what to do though dont you? You will do the speech and you will say all the perfect things as you are her best friend, you wont cry and even if you do, its an emotional thing so nobody will think anything of you! Just dont throw yourself to the ground screaming and banging your fists on the floor"why not me, why not me"!! Thats how we all feel and sadly there will be lots of times like this ahead of us, but we can take it! PMA PMA PMA [zx181]
Good luck, think of us and remember you arent alone :hugs:
Buhito, Brucey sounds great! Wish I could have been there, me and DH are Boss fans to! :dance:
I am just packing the last of our things, Holly is all packed, so am I, just Steve to go now! He is even going to iron his own shirts! Apparently my standard of ironing is not up to much!
Hi Fee and Kalai, hope you are both well?
Better go now, Adios amigos!!
:cheeers:

xx

ICSI 3 - November - BFN

Fee

Ace

Friday, July 18th 2008, 8:45pm

Hi,

Mel enjoy your hols, i'm sure you will :cheeers: bring a bit of sunshine back with you for the rest of us in the uk.
Buhito glad you had a good time at the concert - awesome.
Bunny, i will be thinking of you, be strong on the outside and try to do it for your best friend, i know how hard it feels on the inside Hopefully we will all receive back all the goodness we give out and get some good luck for ourselves. We are here if you need us :rant: Have afew glasses of wine!
I wrote a letter a week and a half ago to the consultant double checking what protocol i should be on next time. No reply, great isn't it.
Will try to keep myself busy with the dog [zx145] :dog: and the cats :cat: Dh said i shouldn't leave him out [zx151] (he said to use this one!)

Fee

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Fee" (Jul 18th 2008, 8:50pm)

19verve

United Kingdom

Friday, July 18th 2008, 9:23pm

I know how you feel, it will be hard but you will get through it. This time next week it will be all done and dusted xxx
The day I came out of hospital after having major surgery and my left tube removed (op was TTC related<,again)my sister in law phoned me to tell me that she was expecting twins (children 3 and 4). I was so jealous I couldnt be happy for her, I felt so sick and I kept thinking why is it not my turn. Sadly she lost the twins at 4 1/2 months (in june) and I have since told her about my infertility and my pending operation. She has been totally suportive and I am glad I told her. But no matter what you cant help your feelings and there is only so much one person can take. Infertility is a living hell and I wouldnt wish it on anybody xx I will be thinking of you.

Friday, July 18th 2008, 10:57pm

Thanks ladies...yes sometimes it can feel like a living hell.. you are right verve...

On my way to have a monitoring scan this morning I get a call to say my sister has just given birth to a baby boy. So thats 3 sisters ( we are all around the same age ) now all with 2 boys each...argh....

Anyway feeling much better that I am not turning into horrid woman and not alone in these thoughts.

Mel - have the best time. How very exciting. Just what you, need, we all need it sounds like. Buhito, when are your hols? Fee have you got anything planned.

We are in the process of booking to go away before we try again. I think we will be trying again aiming for ec mid september.

thanks for being there ladies....

On a lighter note... how do you all add those great little icons. I am about the worst at computers in the world. I just think they are so funny. And really sum things up...

:party: I think I have just found them....

Hope it works

Bx

Friday, July 18th 2008, 11:03pm

ooh this is actually quite exciting... i've now got a bunny picture.... now I've worked it out there will be no stopping me now.

Bx

Fee

Ace

Monday, July 21st 2008, 8:59am

Bunny How did it go? Are you ok?

Fee x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fee" (Jul 21st 2008, 9:01am)

Monday, July 21st 2008, 9:21am

Morning girls, how did it go Bunny? I'm sure you managed to go through it!!! How are you feeling?

Mel must be now sunbathing on her cruise... :cheeers: uuuummm, I'm leaving this thursday on hols, have you girls finally decided anything?

Fee, I hope you get an answer from your doctor soon...

Verve, when are you having your surgery? Lots of luck!!!! What does it consist in? :goodluck:

Fee

Ace

Monday, July 21st 2008, 9:30am

Hi Buhito,
Heard from my doc, I asked him if he still thought the long protocol was the best way to go on our second try or maybe the short. He said i had had a good response to stimms and 10 eggs was an above average result for my age. So the short protocol would not be a good way to go as it was best to be used for women who have a poor response to stimms.
We are going to try our second attempt October ec in November. I am counting the days :smile:
Getting alot of stabbing pains in my ovaries, posted a thread, someone suggested it could be a cyst the nurse said i had one on the day of my baseline scan.
Where are you off to on your hols? Hope you have a great time.

Fee x

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Fee" (Jul 21st 2008, 9:34am)

Tuesday, July 22nd 2008, 3:04pm

I'm glad you heard back from your doctor... So sept, Oct will be very important months to change the news on this thread...

I'm off to the Northern part of Spain (galicia) for one week and then off to Greece to sail with friends... Are you going anywhere?

Fee

Ace

Tuesday, July 22nd 2008, 3:22pm

Probably a couple of weekends away but not a 'big' hol due to self funding all this icsi. We got married last November and went away for 3 weeks and toured around western America Grand Canyon etc for the honeymoon so a this year will be a bit quieter.
Plus i'm doing all the decorating as i have a bit more free time as i work nights.

Off to do a bit more

Fee x

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Fee" (Jul 22nd 2008, 3:23pm)

Wednesday, July 23rd 2008, 11:08pm

Well the place was literally crawling with babies...

But you know what it wasnt as bad as I had imagined in my head. And interestingly no-one said what about you. Which is good.

My speech was utterly rubbish though I have to say, but got through it.

Thanks for all your words of encouragement.

My dh and I have now also booked our holiday. We are off to Zakynthos for a week. Just what we need.

When we come back it looks like I will be doing my next attempt on starting beginning of September.

Interestingly Fee i am being put on a short protocol this time even thought I responded well on the long protocol. But I think this is because my fsh has risen from 10.6 to 12.4 since then. Not suprised with all this thinkthink

Like you I am counting down the days. Now I have decided I am going to do it again, want to get on with it.

Buhito, have a fabulous holiday too.

We all need one

Bunnyx

3 users apart from you are browsing this thread:

3 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE