You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "DELILAH" started this thread

Reg: Feb 25th 2008

Children: I wish and hope

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 10:03am

Baby measuring 2.6mm - too small for dates??

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience of going for an early scan only to be told that the baby measures smaller than the dates suggest it should?

I had thought I was 6 weeks and 4 days on Monday (based on when I ovulated - see below), but had an early scan (due to my last pregnancy in March being ectopic) which fantastically showed the baby in the right place, so not ectopic, but only measuring 2.6mm. By all accounts, baby should measure about 5mm by this point.

It's poss my dates are out. Maybe I implanted late or ovulated a day or two later than I thought. Here are the facts:

1st day of last period 29 April
Got LH surge on OPK on 14 April (day 16 of cycle)
So ovulated on day 17 or 18 of cycle
BFP on 30 May (day 32 of cycle)

Scan on 16 June which showed baby measuring 2.6mm - nurse said this would date me at more like 5 weeks 5 days, instead of the 6 weeks 4 days I thought I was. There is a discrepancy of about 5 or 6 days. I am worried as to what this means. I know it's poss I ovulated later or even got another surge and ovulated twice. I know it's also poss that I implanted late. But still can't help worrying!

Anyone been through similar or have any advice or reassurance that might help my PMA??

Thanks everyone. xxxx

Missed m/c May 07
Ectopic (right tube lost) March 08
Missed m/c July 08
Three angels in Heaven ;(
Recently split with DP... very sad but for the best
No more TTC for me... for now anyway... who knows what the future holds... xx

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "DELILAH" (Jun 18th 2008, 10:08am)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 10:11am

I just posted this on your diary so I'll delete it from there and leave it here instead.....

I know very few people who are given a gestational age from scan that is accurate to their own calculations. You HAVE to remember that the baby is measuring at 2.6mm that's about the size of a grain of quick cook rice. Now imagine trying to measure a grain of rice inside someone's tummy with a handheld sonic device...!! Where the crosses are, one of those only needs to be a fraction of a milimetre out and you have several days discrepancy.

The other thing to remember is that although medical science is wonderful and the equipment and calculations given can be very precise, we're still talking about measuring a human baby and comparing that to an 'average' human baby at the same gestation. If your baby is 0.3mm smaller than the medical average that doesn't mean that there's something wrong, it may just mean that your baby is a fraction smaller 'at the moment' than an average foetus.

Finally, your ovulation and implatation dates may of course be a bit out. There are so many variables and the main thing to remember is that things look good on the scan, the docs were happy and you're feeling well. You have lots of GOOD signs :)

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 10:24am

Ah thanks Bells! That really makes sense and I need someone to talk sense into me!! It's just a case of not being able to think straight when you are so anxious about something. Then I get anxious that just being anxious could harm baby!! So I know I've got to really try and be positive.

I don't think I'd be so worried had I not already suffered a m/c and an ectopic in the past year. The thought of something going wrong again, and losing a third baby, is just too much to bear.

Your post has helped me feel a bit better already tho, so thank you Bells!! blowkiss

Missed m/c May 07
Missed m/c July 08

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 10:41am

hiya delilah, bells is right :happy:.
i know its anoying when people post whats happened to them, but this is very similar to me so here goes
i was 6 weeks and 4 days pg to my calculations, when i went for my early scan i was back dated to 5 week 3 days! i cacked myself!, i had a scan 2 weeks later and i was given back the days that they took off me. they really like to worry us dont they?

sending you lots of sticky vibes and PMA vibes too :hugs:

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 10:50am

Hey Delilah, I echo what Bells has said, and also, some women measure 'wrong' even when they have had IVF so know the exact age of the embryo! At this stage I would take these measurements with a pinch of salt, and just go with your instinct. Things will become more apparent the further into your pregnancy you go. Good luck!
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 11:20am

^^^ What they said hun! On britains biggest babies, one of the doctors said of measuring babies, imagine trying to measure someone in a bath tub, in the next room, with only a tape measure! Angles give a different perspective, measurements cannot be exact unless you have the object laid out flat right infront of you. The main thing is, that baby is in there, it has grown and its safe and snug :happy:

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 11:29am

Yup i echo above i was told J was smaller then M panicked the pants off me, months later i was saying this to a nurse and she said it should also have been explained how difficult it is to get a perfect measurement of something so small and wiggly.
Have they booked you again??? I was then left till 12weeks for normal NHS scan J is huge now bigger then M. x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 3:40pm

Thanks girls! :smile: :smile:

Willow, it's def not annoying to me when people post whats happened to them - I find it reassuring, and really hope what happened to you happens to me too!! Thank you for telling me cos it really has reassured me that this can happen. x

Thanks too Mrs Smiff, Missy and 1xbabypls! x

They have booked me in for another scan next Monday morning. I'm hoping so much that baby is having a growth spurt in there this week and that the next scan will bring good growth and a heartbeat. xfingers

Also forgot to say that, unlike my last two pregnancies, this time I've had no bleeding at all, my symptoms are strong, very sore ( @ )( @ ) now, feel very sick at times and constantly knackered. I'm hoping these are all signs that this pregnancy will actually bring us a baby! :pray:

Thanks for helping to reassure me. blowkiss

Missed m/c May 07
Missed m/c July 08

Reg: Apr 17th 2006

Children: A beautiful little boy born October 2008

Thursday, June 19th 2008, 12:25pm

All sounds fine to me Delilah... keep up those positive thoughts!! xxxx

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Thursday, June 19th 2008, 8:23pm

Deliah, all those symptoms sound good to me (well, not very pleasant, but you know what I mean when I say good!!!!)

xxx

<

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE