You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Rivka

• "Rivka" started this thread

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 8:00am

Getting baby into a good position

So it seems that the advice on getting baby into a good position for birth and avoiding c-section is to pay attention to your posture all the time and to spend a fair bit of time on your hands and knees. But all the advice seems to differ on when its best to start this.

My feet have suddenly started to inflate and be REALLY painful so my inclination is to lay down comfortably, not prop myself or kneel on the floor. But i don't want ot make things difficult for myself! Anybody got any advice?

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 8:32am

I assume you're talking about the occiput position where the baby faces your back?? Lauren was back to back for most of my pregnancy, but in the last 10 days I used to sit on my ball (as I was also trying to get her to engage) with my legs spread as wide as they would go and gently rotate my hips, and take slow deep bounces down. Also, I had SPD so it was uncomfy for me to kneel down with my ass in the air!! So I lay on the sofa for 10 minute periods with a cushion under my bum, 2 under my legs and 4 under my feet, so you are on a tilt but well supported. I did also manage to get into the prayer position a couple of times.

I did succeed in turning her, but unfortunately for me she turned back during labour ;(

Having your feet above your hips, not your head as some books suggest will help more, and may help with your swelling

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 9:38am

Hi Bec,
Theres an article in the current issue of 'bumps and babies' about ways to help get the baby into position, heres the link to order your copy:

http://www.nct.org.uk/

The reason your feet swell is because the baby is pressing on your inferior vena cava (IVC) which is the big vein taking blood from your lower body back to your heart. You currently have a 6-8lb weight squashing it (the baby), so lying on your back will not really help. Try lying on your side or putting a cushion under on of your hips to lift the baby off the IVC a little bit. Avoid sitting in one place for any length of time. Swimming is very good because all your weight and the babies is supported by the water and the IVC isn't squashed. Its also really nice to feel weightless for a little while.

Rivka

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 9:52am

top tip, thanks Mrs Jasper!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 9:55am

The problems have arisen since us ladies have been leading a more *ahem* sedentary lifestyle :rolleyes:. Back in days of yore women were on their hands and knees scrubbing floors, moving around cleaning and didn't slump on the sofa in front of the TV for hours. Personally I prefer the latter of the three :D

Think of baby as having a heavy back and bum. When you lean forward the heavy back and bum swing around to the front of your tummy and when you lean back the heavy back and bum swing round to your back. If you spend 12 hours a day on the sofa in a typical slouch position then baby's bum is going to be swung around to your back for much of the time (not insinuating that you would sit on the sofa for 12 hours!!!! nor am I suggesting that baby swing freely around willy nilly but you get the idea :D)

So thinking of baby in this way you can adjust your position to help baby's heavy bits to stay forward.

Like Sam said, the balls are great for positioning towards the end, not just that but they stretch all your muscles and limber you up for birth. Kneeling on the floor with your arms over your ball is a good way to encourage baby to stay forward, it also reduces any pressure on your back. If that's not comfy then sit on a kitchen chair facing the back, put a cushion over the top and lean forwards, resting your arms on the top of the back of the chair.

Swiming is brillllllllll at the end of pregnancy too, gentle doggy paddle on your front and you have ALL of baby's weight dropping forward into your belly. The relief of pressure on your limbs is bliss, even if you just float on your front while holding onto the side.

If you're lying down then stay on your side with a cushion behind you so that you're not leaning back, angle yourself slightly forwards.

For swollen feet make sure that none of your clothing is tight and keep your feet cool. If you're getting hot swollen feet then fill a hot water bottle with cold water and put it under the backs of your legs (calves and ankles)

Edited to say :sorry, I've been typing this for so long and have been on the phone... cross posted with Mrs J.

Rivka

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 9:59am

and again...thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going swimming!

Saz

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 10:02am

I have been referred for Hydrotherapy. I have my first appt a week on Tues and I cannot wait!!!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 10:05am

Oooh lovely!!!

I'm not a big swimming fan but I went right at the end of my pregnancy and as I stepped into the water it was like not being pregnant anymore. The weight was gone, I didn't realise how heavy I felt until that point. Getting out is a different matter though... it feels like someone's just handed you a sack of potatoes ;(

Rivka

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 10:05am

hydrotherapy! do you mind me asking why you've been refered? I fancy me some of that!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 10:18am

Thanks for this I just grin and bear the back pain! I do use my ball quite alot although it has become a toy for anyone who pops round they seem to have the urge to bounce it or throw themselves on it! anyway I am starting swimming in a few weeks got my big belly swim suit on Tesco a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the advise I really hadn't thought about trying the move the baby forwards!

Saz

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 10:21am

I have been refered for Hydro to try and help with my back and pelvis problems.

Missy

Superstar

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 11:27am

If I can just say aswell - keep on the ball when you're in labour, it not only alleviates some of the pressure, but it will keep the baby in the optimum position. They wouldn't let me off the bed all through labour and I am sure this is the reason she turned posterior

xxx

Bells, I agree with you on the sedentry lives we lead now - but surely watching TV is actually exercising your eyes? :D

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Rivka

Thursday, March 23rd 2006, 11:31am

oo chilli, how much was your cozzie? i've been given one but it is truly hideous!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, March 27th 2006, 9:47pm

Sorry only just seen this Bec I got mine in Tesco for £5.00 bargin it's plain black not flattering at all but it covers where it should!

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Monday, March 27th 2006, 10:22pm

Mine was from blooming marvellous
x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE