You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Pootle

Megastar

• "Pootle" started this thread

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Thursday, May 1st 2008, 6:05pm

combined screening result

Had my result today - combination of nuchal scan and bloods. I have a 1:24 chance of having a baby with Downs. Had a very difficult conversation with the screening person from the hospital and am now being sent to London tomorrow for a second opinion.

They're recommending an amnio in 3 weeks time and I'm scared about that.

Its just one thing after another this pregnancy and I wonder if someone is telling me this isn't meant to be. I was excited today as I haven't bled since Sunday but now this.

Apparently my nuchal scan was ok - 1.9mm but my bloods have thrown the result totally. Haven't got my head around what they show or what they indicate. My maternal risk is 1:400, so if my scan was ok, just how bad were the bloods. And by bad, what does that mean?

So many questions for tomorrow.

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, May 1st 2008, 7:16pm

Jodie you poor thing. You mustn't think things like 'it wasn't meant to be' .... this happens to a lot of people and those babies are VERY MUCH meant to be. Have a look at Chilli's thread here. Her results weren't as high as yours but there's a discussion about reliability which might be of some interest.

High risk down syndrome

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, May 1st 2008, 7:46pm

Wish I knew more so I could offer words of wisdom or advice but I wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you xx

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, May 1st 2008, 8:12pm

Sorry you are going through this worry Jodie. I don't know if what I have to say will help or not but, I was told because of my age the screening tests would come out high, the M/W guessed about 1:4 chance of downs. She really pushed me to have the tests and amnio, she really frightened me. But after a lot of talking DH and I decided 'what will be will be'. I'm not that religious but we just thought we'd leave it in God's hands (how weird does that sound!). The screening tests aren't conclusive - my best friend had the blood test when she was in her 20's and it came back high risk, she worried herself silly throughout and gave birth to a perfect baby boy. Another friend's sister had the tests and was given the all clear and went on to have a down's baby. So I personally don't hold much weight with the blood tests! I wouldn't comment on amnio as it is such a personal decision to make but I think you have to think about what you would do if the result confirmed downs.

I really hope your appt goes well tomorrow and you are reassured x

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Thursday, May 1st 2008, 8:55pm

Hi jodie

Sorry you've got more stuff to stress about...sounds a bit flippant but don't mean it in that way!! Just mean you didn't need anything else to have to worry about!

Must admit we have decided not to have the tests for same reasons as Rosey

Hope it goes well tomorrow- will be thinking of you

P x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

Reg: Oct 2nd 2007

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 10:49am

Hey there Jodie

You poor thing, it does seem like you've had one heck of a time. Am sure the extra tests plus some time to reflect will give you the answers you need at this difficult time.

I too will be avoiding any tests if at all possible, if fate gives me a handicapped baby, then its coz it was meant to be, but I know thats a hard call for people to take and even my DH isnt fully on board with my outlook yet, so hey you do what feels right for you.

Sending lots of cyber hugs

C
xxxxx
Cathie

Proud mum to Eric after 3 years TCC!!!

Katy

Ace

Reg: Jun 7th 2007

Children: 1 daughter!

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 7:22pm

Jodie,

So sorry you are going through all of this worry. It just doesn't stop does it?

Not much else I can say really but hope you can get through all of this.

xxx

1st IVF Oct 07 convert to IUI due to poor response to drugs Bfn
2nd IVF Feb 08 poor response convert IUI Bfn
29.03.08 - Natural Bfp - early loss
Aug 08 3rd ivf BFP!!!
One gorgeous daughter!!!
Trying to recover from Post Natal Depression
Jan 10 Natural Bfp!!! :8o:

Missy

Superstar

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 7:37pm

Jodie I had missed this. My instinct would be to go with the scan results rather than the bloods. The scans are a much more upto date reliable way of indicating these results which is why they are now offered alongside. The markers used on the scans are relative to the baby you are carrying, but the blood tests markers are only relevant to a percentage you have of concieving a Downs affected child.

I do hope that your appointment went more positively today, I know that the screening department were only following protocol, but it sounds like it could have been handled more sensitively.

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Pootle

Megastar

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 10:07pm

Bit of a shambles really. Have to go back on Tuesday for the bloods! This is because they shouldn't be taken if you've bled in the previous 7 days - obviously I bled 5 days ago. Apparently this can skew the results. Shame no-one thought to mention this to me when they took blood on Monday - the day after I stopped bleeding. Bit cross as the scan I had on Monday was actually BECAUSE I had been bleeding, and they decided to do the screening then to save an appointment for the next day! So now, another day off work, another train fare and another trip to London.

Did have another nuchal scan which was good - my odds went to 1:715. Sonographer also checked for things like nasal bone etc which was all good. Also heard the heartbeat for the first time which made me cry. So many bl**dy emotions going round.

Have done lots of research on the bloods and some stuff Paul found suggests that my results could also reflect high BP, and be an indicator for pre-eclampsia later in the pregnancy - which we know could be the case.

Its bizarre - my local trust has only been doing the combined screening for 5 months - if I'd been pregnant 6 months earlier I would have just had the nuchal, been none the wiser and wouldn't be going through all this.

DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 10:14pm

Diagnostic testing in pregnancy can be such a double edged sword Jodie. On the one hand it serves to reassure but on the other it can cause so much more worry.

The results of your nuchal scan sound very good indeed. I do wish these hospitals would equip parents with the full information and some counselling before sending them away with a statistic.

Pootle

Megastar

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 10:22pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
The results of your nuchal scan sound very good indeed. I do wish these hospitals would equip parents with the full information and some counselling before sending them away with a statistic.

I think it was done oddly - don't know if its like that for everyone at my Trust or whether I was unlucky. The whole thing was uncomfortable - being told just after they'd checked for the bleeding that they'd 'do the nuchal while you're here so someone else can get in tomorrow'. And then when the Maternity Assistant was doing the bloods she kept asking about the IVF and couldn't seem to understand it - asked me if it was a donor egg and I said no and she said 'oh, donor sperm then' and I said no, just regular IVF - my egg, DH's sperm. And she said 'oh you mean artificial insemination' and on it went! I had a phone call the next day to 'clarify the IVF situation' and then the call on Thursday to tell me the result.

The woman who told me couldn't answer any of my questions re. the bloods and arranged the appointment in London - when I got there today they weren't really aware of what the situation was and why I'd been sent there. And the screening co-ordinator ended my conversation on Thursday with 'if you want an amnio, ring my number next week - I'm on holiday for 2 weeks but someone will pick up the message and arrange an appointment'. No info, nothing.

I feel a bit adrift really. Luckily I have a fab support network, both my DH and I work in the NHS and are able to access people who can explain various things to us and we're not incapable of doing our own research. Some people aren't in that position though.

Anyway, I am where I am. Going to try and get some sleep tonight as I didn't last night and think with a clear head over the weekend.

x

DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

• "jane april" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: May 22nd 2006

Children: twin girls

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 11:28am

Hi honey, oh you poor thing, if it isn't one thing its another. They should have given you more information but now they have just added to your worry. This little one will be worth it, and sending you a massive hug from me.

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
DH fine, me blocked tubes and adhesions
1st IVF BFN,December 06 tubal surgery,2nd IVF BFN,3rd IVF :BFP: TWINS
5 frosties
April 09 ectopic pregnancy

bab10 bab10
our babies are two pink frillies

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 3:58pm

Jodie
I feel annoyed for you - flipping ek even the person on the street knows more than them about IVF! They seem just rubbish really! As you say thank goodnes you are able to reasearch yourself and have a good support network!

That aside am very pleased the scan went well for you x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE