You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "xxxmelxxx" started this thread

Reg: Feb 26th 2008

Children: none

Friday, April 4th 2008, 5:53pm

Advice to give up smoking

Hi

Has anybody any advice on how to give up smoking? I've tried so hard and just can't stop myself. I feel so guilty.

Me 35 DP 52
ICSI Feb 2008
:BFP: M/C @ 10wks.
6 snow babies - FET in July 2008

ROLL ON JULY
babydust

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Friday, April 4th 2008, 5:57pm

Maybe this thread will convince you?

INFO: A ROUGH GUIDE TO LIFESTYLE CHANGES

Women who smoke not only increase the time it takes them to conceive as well as raise their the risk of spontaneous miscarriage, they also jeopardise the health of their baby yet to be born. Female smokers are also at a greater risk for delivering premature or low birth weight babies and developing pelvic inflammatory disease.

There is a support thread here

(NON) SMOKERS CORNER!

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

lulu27

• "lulu27" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 11th 2006

Friday, April 4th 2008, 6:44pm

I just thought to myself that I wouldn't put a ciggarette in the mouth of a new born baby and get it to smoke it (which is what you are doing in effect when you smoke whilst pregnant) that helped me stop. I gave up the very first day I started my drugs for ivf. Just envisage that and it should help good luck x

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, April 4th 2008, 6:46pm

Mel have you spoken to your midwife about some help to stop smoking? Or try your GP/practice nurse. You CAN have nicotine replacement (patches, gum etc...) even when pregnant.

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Friday, April 4th 2008, 7:31pm

when i found out i was having spud i had a major bleed and thought it was all over....a scan showed nothing there but it was still early so it wasnt uncommon, everything was going thru my head....had i killed my baby??? i was smoking quite heavily and thought it was the reason for my bleeding. i lay in bed for 2 weeks, on total bed rest. i wasnt going to harm my baby any more than i had done already, he deserved the best chance in life and what kind of mother was i going to be if i couldnt put my child first?? 2 weeks later i had another scan that showed my beautiful little jellybean complete with heart beat and i fell in love, there was no way on this earth i was going to harm that child.....he is just too precious....i kept my packet of cigarettes and next to it was a copy of the scan pic just incase i needed reminding, but i never did.

good luck in giving up hun, it will be the best gift you can give your precious baby.

love k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Reg: Jul 18th 2007

Friday, April 4th 2008, 7:37pm

The only advice I can give is 'Willpower & nerves of steal' although I wasn't a heavy smoker and classed myself as a 'Social smoker' before i got my BFP, I decided I wanted to be healthy as possible for my child and enable them to have a healthy start in life by me ridding my body of all toxins in turn for a mutal respect of each other.

I gave up completey months before I had my GA for EC (as I had previous GA related problems) and have never looked back. i now despise it with a passion and each day I pat myself on my back and remind myself how many years longer and healthier I'll be for my family.

Reg: Oct 2nd 2007

Friday, April 4th 2008, 7:47pm

I gave up 5 years ago now. Things that helped me.

1) you gotta really want to do it

2) make changes in your normal smoking patterns

3) read 'how to give up smoking' by Alan Carr, you'll feel such a knob you'll never spark up a fag again

4) i also had hypnotherapy

It was hard, really hard, but well worth it, even without a baby trying to grow inside me.

Come on babes, give it another shot

C
xx
Cathie

Proud mum to Eric after 3 years TCC!!!

Reg: Jul 3rd 2007

Saturday, April 5th 2008, 12:19am

I had only cut down before I saw the baby on the first scan (I was still having the occasional puff on DH's cigs). Once I saw the baby on the scan I felt much stronger and stopped properly - so did DH and that made it much easier. It was only the first few days that were difficult but I knew I needed to do the right thing, so I stuck with it. I was offered advice and some replacement therapy but I didn't end up needing it.

My advice to you would be to carry on trying to stop and don't give in completely and start smoking full time again, but in the mean time smoke as little as you possibly can. There is no point in beating yourself up about it, you just need to do your best, and remember that every cig you don't have is one your baby won't have to have either so take it one at a time.

Good luck!!
ME 38 DH 36
DH - v low sperm count and motility
Little Teddy born 26/4/2008
BFP 30/7/10 m/c @ 5 weeks
BFP 1/9/10 - mmc

Reg: Feb 25th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful boy - age 4

Saturday, April 5th 2008, 7:45am

I tried to give up so many times over the past few years and found it so hard, until I read Allen Carr's easyway to give up smoking. It's an amazing book, and actually makes it easy to give up (well, it did for me and dh anyway). I haven't smoked for over 3 months now and never crave or even think about cigarettes now unless I smell cigarette smoke, and then it just makes me feel sick. I thought once you were a smoker you would be for life, and I was so worried that I'd be battling with myself and the addiction for the rest of my life, but I don't have an addiction anymore. I really recommend this book to every smoker who wants to give up. Good luck, and good for you for asking for help, I know how hard it can be [zx127]

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Saturday, April 5th 2008, 11:14am

Most antenatal clinics now offer a smoking cessation service- either "in house" with local midwives trained in smoking cessation advice, or otherwise you couls be refered to an outside agency for advice and support. As Mrs J has said- NIcotine replacement is safe in pregnancy, and can be used with good effect.
You can also try calling 0800 169 9 169 which is the NHS pregnancy Smoking Helpline who may be able to get you extra support services.
x

Reg: Feb 20th 2008

Children: No Children

Saturday, April 5th 2008, 12:07pm

Hi Mel,

I have smoked form being about 15 (thinking i was big, as u do) and gave up for my wedding 9 years ago, as i vowed i wudnt walk round in a gorgeous wedding dress witha fag hanging outa my mouth! I did it just with willpower and was ill! I stupidly started again 2 years later and it has been a killer to quit! i promised both myself and my hubby that i wud quit b4 we started tx and i did, but I tell u wot, I still fancy a fag all the time!!! But i wont coz im pregnant, (God sounds weird saying that)!

Im not trying to make u feel guilty, just giving u the incentive, coz im sure u dont wana be making ure baby smoke! I did it this time with nicotine patches and they make it so much easier!

Cud u not start by saying, "Oh ill just give up whilst pregnant then can have one afterwards! Then by time u CAN have one, u wont be bothered! Then u will be thinking, dont wana smoke around the baby etc!

Its worth ure best efforts hun, u have gone thru hell for this tx, so u have the strength to quit smoking!

Good Luck,

Dx
1st IVF Feb 08
:BFP: 4th April 2008

bab22

Saturday, April 5th 2008, 12:12pm

Alan Carr like some others have said my darling. Buy the original 'Easy way to give up smoking' as there are some others. This book is fab- although I must say, I caved in when I was drunk- but as that won't be happening to you you'll be grand! You honestly do not want to smoke again after reading it, so it's brill- no withdrawal symptoms (until drunk and u forget all the principles!)! This time round, I read his "Easy way for women" which wasn't as hard hitting, although it helped- so I went cold turkey on the second day of down regging. Avoid nicotine patches and gum etc- as they're devices which will just prolong the agony (good old Alan will explain that to you!)

It's easy for everyone to say to you 'Blah blah, damage you're doing to your baby etc' but you're not stupid- you know that, which is why you're trying to quit- so feel good about the fact that you're taking actions towards it-it's hard and you're doing well by making your moves.
I'd never advocate smoking during pregnancy at all- but don't panic about the fact that you've smoked so far- as long as you give up soon and clean your body up, you're heading in the right direction! I know how hard it is, so I'm here to hold you hand if you need. Now go and get that book....xxxx
[zx160]Emma

Me 32, DH 28
Ectopic Oct 06- right tube removed
Endometriosis
First IVF cycle began 5th Feb 08
:BFP: 16th March bab11
:cuddle

Baby Gregory born 10 weeks early on September 20th. baby1

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "spider smiles" (Apr 5th 2008, 12:15pm)

Reg: Dec 18th 2007

Children: one perfect little miracle baby boy - now trying for a little brother or sister !!

Saturday, April 5th 2008, 12:53pm

HI hun i gave up 3 half mths ago and feel so proud :D - i cut down to 2/3 a day and gave myself a date to stop - by then i was so fed up of having to count my cigs that it was almost a relief! i never thought of myself as giving up smoking - just thought OK i dont smoke anymore? If you tell yourself your never going to have something ever again, you only want it more :rolleyes: Just stop for a while and then you will find you don't want to do it anymore anyway 8)

GOOD LUCK HUNNI YOU CAN DO IT :happy:

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

Indiechick

Superstar

Reg: Oct 25th 2007

Saturday, April 5th 2008, 7:14pm

I was on 20 a day and then I got hypnotised nearly 3 years ago and gave up immediatly, never even had a craving - bargin at £48, I guess by now I would have saved thousands!

3rd IUI - 08/08/08 - tested 22/08/08 BFP :D
Scan 09/09/08 - 2 [zx076] [zx076] TWINS!
2 beautiful boys born 16/04/09

Mrs M

Star

Reg: Oct 10th 2006

Saturday, April 5th 2008, 8:37pm

Allen Carr's book was the trick for me and Dh plus my mate and sis followed - it's brill and you just take a day at a time, after 48 hours the nicotine has gone out of your bloodstream so then it's all about breaking the habit of when you used to have one (ie. after food, when on the phone etc) - you can do it and will then never look back!! I never crave them and will never smoke again for definite

xxx

------------------------------
Me 33 DH 40, TTC 7+ yrs, unexplained infertility
3 x ICSI and 3 x natural FET with assisted hatching - all BFN :(
Our treatment journey has now ended

Tuesday, April 8th 2008, 5:19pm

Hi everyone

Thanks for all your advise.

I only had 3 ciggy's yesterday and none upto now today, its killing me but I'm trying so hard. I wouldnt have had the 3 yesterday but my DH smokes and that makes it hard.(i did only smoke half of the 3 yesterday) Ive just gotta take it day by day and hope I can do it, I need to do this for my Bean.

Me 35 DP 52
ICSI Feb 2008

ROLL ON JULY
babydust

Tuesday, April 8th 2008, 5:23pm

And i'm gonna try and get the book by Alan Carr , may not be so easy over here in Spain but there is an english book shop in Fuengirola , I'll try there, maybe they could oprder it for me

Me 35 DP 52
ICSI Feb 2008

ROLL ON JULY
babydust

Reg: Feb 28th 2007

Children: Not yet

Tuesday, April 8th 2008, 5:39pm

I second the Alan Carr book, it worked for me too. It really puts it into perspective and helps you realise that you control it not the other way round.

x
TTC naturally, five miscarriages 2006-2009, Immune issues

BLONDIE'S IMMUNOLOGY DIARY

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, April 8th 2008, 6:28pm

First of all well done for acknowledging that you need to stop, rather than pleading ignorance and thinking the odd one won't do any harm :happy:

Yep, have to agree that Allen Carrs book was a godsend for me too, I had tried to stop so many times before and caved in when in social environments. I smoked in my first 3 pregnancies and I sometimes wonder whether it was related to my miscarriages, our 3rd baby had a chromosone defect and I had cut down drastically once I found out I was pregnant but to be honest like Willow said that doubt will always be there for me. When we decided to TTC again I borrowed this book from the library and was stopped within a fortnight.

Its not something that happens overnight. Its not something to be taken lightly as nicotine is a highly addictive drug. Also because of its commercial availablity and social acceptance we don't think of the amount of chemicals we are willingly sucking into our bodies and our blood stream. Think about whether you want these chemicals in your body, let alone your baby.

Think about why you smoke. One thing that will always have you reaching for that fag packet is stress, you think a cigeratte will calm you down and you will feel better? Think again, the chemicals in that fag actually heighten your stress levels, forcing your heart to beat quicker and the blood to rush around your head, in the long run this makes you feel worse.

Think about the cost. One packet of 20 is over £5 nowadays, over half of that is lining some fat cats pockets. That money could buy you a decent pram for that baby of yours in the longrun!

Think about all these things before you light up. I know your brain is screaming out for one, but the only way to beat these cravings is to cut them off.

Its going to take some willpower but it is acheivable if you want it enough!

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Tuesday, April 8th 2008, 7:00pm

Missy's right- but get that Allen Carr book and like many others- you won't need will power, you just won't want to smoke again and you won't get withdrawal symptoms. If you like a drink, like me (and associate it with smoking) all the better as you can't drink now either! I found it hard to have a glass of wine without a ciggie- but well not now ha ha. You should be able to find it there- I've found it here in Dubai easily. If not- get someone to send you a copy over. It's really worth it. xxx
[zx160]Emma

Me 32, DH 28
Endometriosis

Friday, April 11th 2008, 6:40pm

Hi Girls

I am now reading the book and its really good. Hoping to have stopped by Sunday. It says not to stop before finishing the book so I will finish it tomorrow and by Sunday will have stopped smoking.

cant wait

Me 35 DP 52
ICSI Feb 2008

ROLL ON JULY
babydust

Missy

Superstar

Friday, April 11th 2008, 7:04pm

Brilliant news Mel, well done thumbup

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Friday, April 11th 2008, 7:18pm

Excellent news chick- well done- it sounds like it's having an effect already! I was dying to finish it and stop! Well done for getting it and good luck- not that you'll need it. x
[zx160]Emma

Me 32, DH 28
Endometriosis

mrsjasper

Megastar

Friday, April 11th 2008, 8:37pm

Well done Mel. Don't forget to get a piggy bank and save all the pennies you aren't spending on cigarettes to buy nice maternity clothes and baby things.

Mrs M

Star

Reg: Oct 10th 2006

Friday, April 11th 2008, 9:38pm

Good on you girl - you can do it!! PMA all the way for Sunday thumbup clap xxx

------------------------------
Me 33 DH 40, TTC 7+ yrs, unexplained infertility
3 x ICSI and 3 x natural FET with assisted hatching - all BFN :(
Our treatment journey has now ended

Monday, April 14th 2008, 2:24pm

Hi Girls

Thanks for all your advise

Its worked

I finished reading the book Saturday and havent had a ciggy since. The good thing is that I dont even want one. Ive tried before and it has never worked. For the 1st time in 25 years Ive gone over a day without a ciggy.

Thanks Everyone

Me 35 DP 52
ICSI Feb 2008

ROLL ON JULY
babydust

Monday, April 14th 2008, 5:57pm

clap Well done you! I bet your baby is well chuffed with you too! I'm so glad you took our advice and got the book. Good old Allen, God rest his soul!
[zx160]Emma

Me 32, DH 28
Endometriosis

Missy

Superstar

Monday, April 14th 2008, 6:02pm

Well done Mel!!! Thats a great start, keep up with the PMA and if you get tempted come here for some ear bashing before you light up!! :P Only joking, make sure you treat yourself aswell as the baby :happy:

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

nickate

• "nickate" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 13th 2008

Tuesday, April 15th 2008, 6:05am

I gave up years ago, dont miss it and its just an addiction, (did take a while to give up), you have so much more time for everything else in your life when you dont smoke, I felt smoking took over our lives.

You can do it well done.

Kate x
Katex jilly bab13

Tuesday, April 15th 2008, 1:51pm

Well girls this is my 4th day now and I still dont want one.

Me 35 DP 52
ICSI Feb 2008

ROLL ON JULY
babydust

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Tuesday, April 15th 2008, 1:54pm

clap clap WELL DONE!!

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, April 15th 2008, 1:56pm

Well done, the book does say that once the nicotine leaves your body it is now down to your brain to understand its not getting anymore. A few days later you may go through a withdrawl period, it all depends how much you were reliant on cigarettes TBH. It was a tough time for me, I used to get dizzy spells and hot and cold sweats. I used to have trouble focusing too. It passed within about 4 days but it was hard.

Well done again, and remember to keep this updated as a way of looking back on your achievement!

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Dec 18th 2007

Children: one perfect little miracle baby boy - now trying for a little brother or sister !!

Tuesday, April 15th 2008, 2:00pm

Well done you :party:you can only go forwards now high5

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Sammysue" (Apr 15th 2008, 2:00pm)

Reg: Feb 25th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful boy - age 4

Tuesday, April 15th 2008, 6:11pm

Brilliant news, I'm glad it's worked for you x

nickate

• "nickate" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 13th 2008

Wednesday, April 16th 2008, 2:52pm

That excellent news :D
Katex jilly bab13

Tuesday, April 22nd 2008, 11:31am

Hi Girls

Thanks for all your support but its over for me this time, No heartbeat at my 10 week scan and I-m sorry to say the 1st thing I did when I got out of the hospital was light a fag.

Me 35 DP 52
ICSI Feb 2008

ROLL ON JULY
babydust

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, April 22nd 2008, 11:45am

So sorry Melanie.
XXX

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, April 22nd 2008, 11:58am

Quoted

Originally posted by xxxmelxxx
I-m sorry to say the 1st thing I did when I got out of the hospital was light a fag.

Can't say that I blame you hun, I did the same thing after losing Giorgia :(

treezuk

Superstar

• "treezuk" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 31st 2007

Children: 1 son : Mckenzi Henry born 23/10/08 !!!

Tuesday, April 22nd 2008, 12:08pm

Mel i am so so sorry to hear of your loss , i can totally understand your reasons i did exactly the same thing myself after having a m/c i think thats perfectly normal...

Hugs and thinking of you , if you need to talk were all here....

Teresa

Tuesday, April 22nd 2008, 1:04pm

Hi

Thanks girls for all your wishes, I dont want to burden you on this thread anymore as your all happy and good luck to you all.

I have ,moved over to the miscarraiges thread and hope to be back on 1st trimester again in the near future

Me 35 DP 52
ICSI Feb 2008

ROLL ON JULY
babydust

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Tuesday, April 22nd 2008, 2:55pm

And me after my m/c

Thoughts are with you Mel

P x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "philippa_s" (Apr 22nd 2008, 2:55pm)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE