You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "LadyLuck" started this thread

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 11:18am

Birthing Balls

I just got my birthing ball. Could someone advise me on the best way to use it. Pre labour and during labour!

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 11:34am

RE: Birthing Balls

During the entire first stage of labour, nobody could move me from my ball! (well, apart from when I had to have VEs, of course) I sat on it with the back of a chair in front of me. During every contraction, I would roll in circles on it, effectively gyrating the pelvis as I found that those circular movements helped with the pain a bit. Then, when the contraction eased off, I would rest my elbows on the chairback and rest my head on my arms.

However, so much about how you cope with labour is individual and you will do what you feel like doing at the time. I had no idea I would use the ball as obsessively as I did, and maybe you will, maybe you won't. You may find walking around better, or kneeling.

I don't think that anything particularly helps pre-labour, but it can be comfortable to sit on it as it keeps your posture really upright. Anything goes, really.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 11:54am

My ball has pretty much been my only chair since about week 34. I love it, it is so comfy, relieving pressure off my back and what over chair can you bounce on? I even took it with me to a bbq last weekend and am giving serious consideration to taking it with me to my BIL weddingthis weekend - otherwise i don't see how i'll get through the day :D

I also rest over it, knees on the floor elbows on the ball - supposed to be good for positioning.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 12:01pm

First make sure that your ball isn't too squashy. You should sit in the 'computer chair' position with your lower legs at right angles to your thighs and your back at right angles to your thighs..

I used my ball pre birth to sit on in the evenings. I only used mine for about an hour and would sit on it, knees wide and circle my hips slowly in both directions. Think of your baby's head being encouraged down into the pelvis and giving her freedom to move her body into a good position as you are opening up your abdomen and freeing baby of any pressure. Plenty of nice deep breaths too to give baby plenty of oxygen and space.

If you have back pain then try kneeling on the floor with your arms and head resting on the ball.

I was very much like Limpet in labour and used my ball for several hours with great effect. I started my early labour (1-3cm) lying down, conserving my energy and breathing. The start of my established labour was mainly controlled by using my ball between two sofas, one hand on each sofa and circling my hips during each pain. This got me to around 5-6cm and was very comfortable for me.

Typically the first couple of cm go ok but achieving some dilation between 2-3cm and 5-6cm is where lots of labours 'fail to progress' so using the ball is great as it allows you to rest but remain in a good position, it allows you to manage your pain by movement without getting tired from pacing around. It supports you during pain but puts no hard pressure on your body.

In the latter stages of labour your tailbone (coccyx sp?) uncurls and moves out of the way to allow your baby's head to be born. Lying or sitting on a flat, hard surface impedes this but the ball allows your this process to happen whilst still supporting you.

Balls are great! :)

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 12:05pm

i am sold ... where can i get one !?

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 12:07pm

I used one before and during labour too!! they are fab!

soo wish I'd have taken mine into hospital though as the ones there were awfully over used and I was nearly sat on the floor with them! :rolleyes:

I got my ball for £4 from argos

Jessica x x

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 12:09pm

are they just those sporty things - massive beach ball type things ?

(u can tell i havent done my homework !)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 12:13pm

Yes Kizzy. They're used for exercise so are found under the exercise equipment category :)

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 12:15pm

yeah! mine was silver and a 65cm I think!

but I think the pictures now purple in the bible!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/pa…ccesssories.htm

Jessica x x

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 12:55pm

thanks ladies !
i want to remain as up right as poss in my larbour.

last night i was just laying down it just seems to go against everything i have read & and against gravity !

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 1:16pm

Good on you Kizzy! :)

You're ok yet but at the end of your pregnancy the amount of time you spend slouching on the sofa can make a difference to how your baby lies in your tum. It's good to have these things in mind :)

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 1:47pm

Kizzy it does depend on how long your legs are too, when you sit on it your knees should be slightly lower than your pelvis, I think some shops do small med and large.

I learned this the other day trying to sit on a large ball with short legs is difficult and vice versa. I am 5 6" and have the 65cm ball which seems fine thinkn that is the med. Sorry I hope I haven't confused you!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 2:09pm

Sorry to ask a really stupid question but are they safe to use in the second trimester? It sounds like it would really help with my wind (sorry again if TMI) if I could roll around a bit on a giant ball.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 2:16pm

I don't see why they wouldn't be safe for anyone at all during any stage. It's only like sitting on a comfortable chair.

Just be warned that your husbands, boyfriends, parents, friends, visitors and passing trade will automatically fling themselves upon your ball at every available opportunity :D

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 2:18pm

or pretend that it's a basketball & bounce it every time they are in the same room X(

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 2:21pm

I have used mine all the way through I had hip and back pain in the early stages and the ball really helped.

Bells I have to agree with, grown adults suddenly become children again when I ball is in the room, there will probably be a made up game that will be played for hours on end and lots of arguing about who won and who cheated.

Suggestion - put it in your bedroom when people are visiting!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 2:36pm

Maybe I could also install a giant basket ball hoop!

Bells, is that the husband or the boyfriend that will fling himself on the ball?

Heres the link for the Argos one
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/pa…ccesssories.htm

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrsjasper" (May 3rd 2006, 2:40pm)

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 2:46pm

oh god ... my son is going to love it ! ....... a giant football.

i am only a short arse - 5 ft 4 - so will i be better of with a med or small one ?

Saz

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 3:15pm

I have used mine most of the way thru too, as Chilli says, it has helped a bit with my back/pelvis etc pain. I sit on mine while at the computer.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 3:18pm

probably the med Kizzy

ASM

Reg: Nov 11th 2005

Wednesday, May 3rd 2006, 3:49pm

We discussed birthing balls in our ANC yesterday and the Physio said the ball is good to use pre-labour to do pelivc tilt exercises. Post pregnancy it is also good to use for exercising or when trying to get your baby off to sleep it can be helpful to bounce gently on the ball.

Reg: Jul 5th 2006

Thursday, November 22nd 2007, 1:27pm

Birthing Ball

Hi

Was just looking through some other posts and saw a couple of girls mention how good birthing balls are. Getting one was recommended by someone I work with who used one. Any advice / recommendations?

Thanks
Laura xx

===================================
Me 37 DH 44

2000-2006 3 missed m/c, PCOS, endo
Feb07 high-level NKCells found - start Prednisalone
Apr07 :BFP: I[zx076]Mr Shehata

Reg: Nov 14th 2007

Thursday, November 22nd 2007, 1:44pm

Hi Laura.

I've never used a birthing ball as a pregnant woman but when I'm looking after ladies in labour it is the first thing I grab. When teaching Antenatal classes I recommend them also they are so comfy firstly and they encourage optimum fetal positioning, strengthen pelvic floor etc. I will buy one without hesitation when I finally gety pregnant. Hope this helps :xxx:

Me 28 DH 42 1st attempt ICSI NOV 07 :BFN:

kski

Ace

Reg: Mar 26th 2006

Thursday, November 22nd 2007, 2:08pm

Tesco £5.80 for an 80 cm ball - will do fine

if you want one - Mrs K used a bit - but preferred the sofa !
DAD to twins

Reg: Mar 6th 2006

Thursday, November 22nd 2007, 2:40pm

At relaxation classes they recomend the ball to sit on if your getting back ache ect, but in the labour ward they tend to have them there.
Melanie
1st IUI cylce 10 March 06 BFN
2nd IUI cycle 19th June 06 BFN
3rd IUI cycle 6th Sep 06 BFN
4th IVF 31st March at St Barts :BFP:

Daisy born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.16am 4lb 13.5 oz
Nuala born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.18am 5lb 10oz

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Thursday, November 22nd 2007, 3:51pm

I never used mine in my pregnancy but oh my god it was fantastic during the labour. I lay with my back on mine and rolled - it was heaven and really felt good between contractions. My labour ward only had a few though so I had to wait for someone to finish with theirs so if you buy one take it to hosp with you just incase xx

5 x ICSI b.f.n
1 x FET resulting in my gorgeous son born 2007

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, November 22nd 2007, 4:04pm

Oh I loved my ball, I must get it pumped up again as i could do with it now.

i used it all through labour was really helpful, I just got an excerise ball from argos £7 I think.

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Thursday, November 22nd 2007, 4:07pm

I had an 80cm one and a 75 cm one. You can pump the 75 cm hard if you are tall if you can't find the larger one.

I used it all the way through third trimester.
Eathing my food sitting on it. Rolling my hips to let Z get into optimum positioning etc.

Early labour was spent ironing sitting on the ball and then hanging over the ironing board through contractions.

We took it with us to the hospital and I gave birth hanging over it. Great and relaxing. Also nice to know that it is your own when you are lying face down over it!!

I am pretty sure that the ball helped me... I had the best birth ever! It was a pleasure and I would do it any day again!!

Happu balling!!! :D
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

mrsjasper

Megastar

Thursday, November 22nd 2007, 4:09pm

Yes, someone I know was biting on hers during labour so you may want to take your own!

deez

Ace

Reg: Mar 30th 2007

Thursday, November 22nd 2007, 4:16pm

I have just had mine delivered this morning so looking forward to using it as most of my friends who have had experience have recommended them to me! I ordered mine from a website called Birthease........good for afterwards too to get those core muscles working again!

Happy Bouncing x
dee x

ME 34
DH 33
Married July 04
Ectopic April 05 and Tube Removal
One remaining tube severely damaged
IVF started 10th March - 20th April - A lovely Positive Result

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, November 22nd 2007, 5:59pm

I got a 65cm Reebok one from Argos (I'm 5ft 2"). I used it during pregnancy, often I would just sit on it and rotate my hips to relieve backache, keep my hips supple and encourage baby into a good position.

I also used mine in labour and fully believe that it helped get my baby into a really good position as well as helping 'me' get comfortable during contractions by allowing me to remain upright yet 'mobile' (you can gyrate your hips and rock back and forth), it was FANTASTIC!

I then let a friend borrow it for her homebirth...... and then I collected it from our very own Shorty yesterday who also used it in those last weeks and during her labour.

Shorty said that the midwives did give her a ball in hospital but it was smaller and she found it uncomfortable. I think the bigger they are the more comfortable they are, the smaller ones push you into an almost squatting position which 'may' not be so comfortable, especially in early labour.

Rivka

Friday, November 23rd 2007, 9:54am

Absolute essential as far as I'm concerned, throughout third tri and labour. I sit on it most evenings as its so comfortable and I spend time every day hanging over it to encourage baby to present properly. had a fairly easy birth last time round and this can't have hurt - my friend who spent the whole of her third tri reclining on her back on the sofa didn't have nearly so easy a time - with her second baby I suggested a ball and low and behold, no problems at all :D

deez

Ace

Friday, November 23rd 2007, 10:04am

Well used mine last night for first time! loved it! Mine came with a little booklet showing different positions and exercises so started with some gentle exercises and then sat on for a bit and then leaned over whilst watching waterloo road and it was really comfy and I felt like baby had loads of room to move around (currently breach position!)

So, yes definately recommend

x
dee x

ME 34
DH 33
Married July 04

Rivka

Friday, November 23rd 2007, 10:41am

Quoted

Originally posted by deez
I felt like baby had loads of room to move around (currently breach position!)

So, yes definately recommend

x

Hope it helps to turn your baby, I bet it does!

United Kingdom

Reg: Jan 21st 2007

Children: Caeden 3yrs, Logan 15 months

Monday, November 26th 2007, 9:42pm

Oh you have to get one! i wasnt too sure about it wen bells gave me hers but they are brilliant, really comfortable. I was on it all the time in early labour, watched tv and ate meals on it , i think thats what helped my labour go so well. early on my contractions were very irregular but the ball helped bring them on and get the baby in a good position, and when labour started properly and the contractions were coming stronger i found leaning on the ball from a kneeing position helped the pain i got in my back. Very relaxing!

But yeah like bells said, they gave me a smaller one in hospital and i couldnt use it cuz it was too low, squashed my bump making the contractions more painful, i would advise taking your own ball if you want to use it in hospital.

So yeah definitely recommended! :D

Simone xxx
Simone - 25 - Proud Single Mummy :D
Two beautiful boys and a little lady on the way!!

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 6:32am

You could also bring a pump and pump the hospitals harder!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 9:18am

Someone I know just partially deflated hers for the drive to hospital and then her hubby pumped it back up again once they got there. It gave him soemthing to do!

Reg: Jul 5th 2006

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 6:21pm

Thanks everyone for your advice ... my ball turned up today and I am going to have a go tonight. I got such a positive reaction to getting one I thought I'd give it a go. It's a lovely lilac colour too!

Thanks again!
Laura xx

===================================
Me 37 DH 44

2000-2006 3 missed m/c, PCOS, endo
Feb07 high-level NKCells found - start Prednisalone
Apr07 :BFP: I[zx076]Mr Shehata

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 27th 2007, 7:44pm

Let us know how you get on Laura. :))

deez

Ace

Wednesday, November 28th 2007, 12:14pm

yes mine is lilac too..............from Birthease?

Hope you enjoyed! x
dee x

ME 34
DH 33
Married July 04

Reg: Jul 21st 2006

Sunday, December 2nd 2007, 2:22pm

Hi laura

hope you are enjoying the Birthing Ball, I loved mine when i was preg, and used it everyday, usually while wacthing tv

They are great for getting the babies head into position, and in labour they are great for the contractions, an upright position is much better in labour than lied on a bed,
You can sit on the ball while resting your upper body on the bed and breathing in Gas & air, its a realy comfy position to be in, while you get your birthing partner to rub your back :D
ME 32, pcos, DH 47,
DH had Tese tx Jan 06
IVF/ ICSI July 06 ,
30 eggs collected, 2 transfered,
Had OHSS and OMG, :BFP:

Reg: Jun 21st 2007

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 2:38pm

Birthing balls

Hi girls,

I have just bought a birthing ball ( large exercise ball from argos for £4.99 ), i have bought it as i have read that it will encourage the baby into the correst postion for birth. At my 30 week check it was shown that the baby is breach at the minute, but the mid wife said its not an issue untill my 34 week check, as baby will proberly have settled into a postion by then.
So to cut a long story short i have decided to try this out to encourge baby into the correct postion.

I know that i need to sit on it with my back straight and my knees lower than my hips, or so i have read, but is there any other advice you ladies could offer about using the balls to encourage good positioning of baby?

Tips and opinions would be greatfully recieved. Thanks x x x x

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 7:51pm

Do what feels comfy. Some people like to kneel on the floor and rest their arms, head and chest on the ball, some just like to bounce around in front of the tv. At this stage you may not get 'that'much benefit from it as baby still has quite a lot of room and plenty of time to change position.... although it does make a change to sitting back on the sofa ....

The beauty of the balls nearer to full term is that in the last couple of weeks of pregnancy you're much more likely to encourage baby into a good position AND spending time in the sitting position you describe can help make you more aware of your baby's position and your own posture. In the very late stages of pregnancy sitting as you describe and gyrating your hips seems to help you to relax all the bits of you that need to be relaxed for impending labour. When you're IN labour, using a ball tends to really help things along beautifully by putting you and baby in a good position, by allowing you to open your pelvis and by relaxing those all important pelvic muscles... the combination tends to be a real help in getting things moving smoothly.

....and it's fun watching husbands, visitors and relatives fling themselves onto it when they visit your house :D

Reg: Jun 21st 2007

Wednesday, February 20th 2008, 8:54am

Thanks bells, thats a real help. I will try the kneeling poistion as well. Think i will save the bouncing and gyrating untill i am 38 weeks + as i dont wont to encourage ease if labour too early.

I will enjoy watching my husband and mates play with it too :D. Infact now you mention it i saw dh eyeing up the bouncy ball last night :snigger: and as for the dog, he could barely contain himself when he saw a ball that big :snigger:

x x x x

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "graceylou" (Feb 20th 2008, 8:55am)

Reg: Feb 4th 2007

Wednesday, February 20th 2008, 9:46am

I have got a ball too, they have them in the hosp too in the labour rooms. I have had a few bounces on it, cats run a mile when they see it :snigger: :snigger:

Me 28 DH 29
TTC 4 1/2 yrs
MC 2004 7wks MC 2005 11 wks
ICSI Dec 2006
Cancelled after EC:high risk OHSS
11 Frosties
Nat Fet March 07 BFN
7 Frosties :)
Med Fet May 07 BFP
VERY SHOCKING NAT BFP MAY 09

Reg: Jun 12th 2007

Thursday, February 21st 2008, 9:48am

I love my ball, I tend to sit on it whilst watching TV. It's really helped my baby get into the correct position!

Reg: Jul 3rd 2007

Sunday, April 6th 2008, 8:25pm

Exercise Ball Advice

Hi

My mum-in-law has brought me an exercise ball and I wondered if anyone could recommend any routines I could do to get best benefit from it over the next couple of weeks? I know it's good to loosen up pelvis/hips close to birth but not sure what I should be focussing on...

Any ideas?
ME 38 DH 36
DH - v low sperm count and motility
Little Teddy born 26/4/2008
BFP 30/7/10 m/c @ 5 weeks
BFP 1/9/10 - mmc

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Sunday, April 6th 2008, 8:38pm

I wouldn't reccomend "routines" as such, But what you need to basically do is sit on it, as upright as possible, keeping your back straight, making sure it is neither arched nor your shoulders slumped. Put you hands gently on your hips, put your legs at a comfortable distance apart- enough to get your balance, and then gently sit, rock, or bounce, whatever is easiet for you. If your balance is good, you could try gentle hip rolls, by keeping your feet flat on the floor and circling your hips gently one eway and then the other.
You can eat on it, watch tv, order every one else about whilst sat on it- all in the name of getting baby in a good position!

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Sunday, April 6th 2008, 8:39pm

RE: Exercise Ball Advice

Hi there,

I used an exercise ball whilst I was in labour. I found it great. I stood up, and put the ball on the bed and just lay over the ball rocking backwards and forwards. I also sat on the ball and rocked backwards and forwards. I would not let the ball out of my sight, it was quite funny actually looking back, I'm kept telling the midwifes not to take it away from me. :snigger: Must have been the gas and air!!!

XXXX
Gilly Me 37, DH 38, DH low sc 1st ICSI, July 2006 OMG :BFP: Born : 26 May 2007 bab22 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Gilly2" (Apr 6th 2008, 8:54pm)

Reg: Jul 18th 2007

Monday, April 14th 2008, 5:52am

FRENCH: How's it going with the exercise ball?

Really thinking of getting one this week as I'm too uncomfy regardless what I'm doing and I have only heard good things tbh.

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE