You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Lexie

Star

• "Lexie" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "Lexie" started this thread

Saturday, January 12th 2008, 1:50pm

What items do I buy/need for twins?

Hi everyone

I'd like to rack all the twin mum and dads brains on what to buy, what not to and what you think is an essential.. Up till now I have bought a sterilser, bottles (going to give breastfeeding a try first tho), 2 moses baskets, a bath, and a few packs of vests, bibs, babygro etc. My mum is buying me the cots, my nan the stroller, my aunt the bouncy chairs and DH's mum the main pram.

I know I will need 2 car seats but do I buy 2 of everything else like swings (or should I not bother with swings) changing mats etc, and will I need 2 baths. I'm just baffled as to what to buy 2 of. I'd also like to know when everyone started purchasing the main things as I don't want to start too early (just cautious with it being twins) and also what size babygros do I get, as I know that twins tend to come early and I'm preparing myself for not very big babies.

Sorry to ask lots of questions but I have all the mothercare magazines etc in front of me and DH has told me to do a list of what I need and i'm baffled.

Any help would be appreciated.

Love Lexie.
Me 34,DH, 32. DD15 from prev relationship. Scan 9/07 showed 2 [zx076] [zx076] My perfect little ladies arrived healthy 7 weeks early on 18/3/08 weighing 4lb 8 and 3lb13...Love my three pinkies

:girl: :girl: :girl:

angel

Reg: May 10th 2007

Children: twin boys born 92 at 40wks+3 days,7lb2 and 8lb2

Saturday, January 12th 2008, 2:29pm

hey lexie

congrats on twins

the only things i know we got ourself's were a few bottle's

as my mum and sister got must of things we needed (as i was in and out of hossie most of the time being sick and they loved to shop)

but i know we only had the one bath and changing mat
as for babygros we got things in size like 3months as it turned out ours were big for twins and i went over my date's.

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Saturday, January 12th 2008, 5:53pm

Hiya Lexie,
Definately just the one bath, but would get 2 changing mats ... one for upstairs, one for downstairs. Also, the plastic baths are so teeny that they grow out of them in no time (well, mine did), and would advise you get a bath sponge thing instead ... have a look in Mothercare, they're about £8, and are brill.
We bought lots of small clothes, which have never been worn ... My 2 were 6lb 7oz each, born at 38+1 :rolleyes: ... and to be honest in the first few weeks it's such a mission to leave the house, you don't bother ... If I had my time again, I would get a couple of packs of newborn babygro's (with scratch mits built in from Matalan) and not bother with actual clothes.
We have 2 bouncers ... and I wouldn't bother getting a swing just yet ... I would start buying nappies now, you have no idea how many you'll go through (up to 100 a week in the beginning). Get some nice stretchy cellular blankets (MC again), as newborns generally settle better when swaddled (my daughter still is).
We started shopping at 30 weeks or so, but this was probably a bit late ... make sure you at least have stuff for your hospital bag by 30 weeks ....

Happy to help hunni ... ask away

blowkiss

Reg: Mar 6th 2006

Sunday, January 13th 2008, 12:05pm

Hi,

I had my hospital bag ready at 29 weeks, my twins came at 35+4 my friends came at 34 weeks so it is best to be as organised as possible as you never know when the little rays of sunshine will appear!

I got one bath chair, 2 changing mats one for upstairs and one for down. Muslin cloths are fantastic I recomend lots of these. I got just a few newborn vests and babygrows off ebay they where used but practically like new as they wont be in them 2 minutes. I did not buy any tiny or early baby stuff as I did not know how soon they would come, as it goes if they do come early you will probably be in hospital for a few days anyway and I sent DP out to get bits from Tesco down the road as you could pick early baby packs up for £4. Another thing I did is have a look for all the things I wanted in shops and then got them a lot cheaper off the internet.
Melanie
1st IUI cylce 10 March 06 BFN
2nd IUI cycle 19th June 06 BFN
3rd IUI cycle 6th Sep 06 BFN
4th IVF 31st March at St Barts :BFP:

Daisy born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.16am 4lb 13.5 oz
Nuala born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.18am 5lb 10oz

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Sunday, January 13th 2008, 9:25pm

One of the most useful things we have is 2m of pvc coated fabric. Its great for putting on the floor with a blanket over for some nuddy time every day, putting under the high chair for weaning, painting on, 'picnics' in front of the tv every now and again, putting on the lawn for playing outside when the grass is a bit damp.... I got mine from John Lewis and it has roads and buildings on it so it will be good for playing with cars etc..

kski

Ace

Reg: Mar 26th 2006

Sunday, January 13th 2008, 9:42pm

I know I will need 2 car seats but do I buy 2 of everything else like swings (or should I not bother with swings) changing mats etc, and will I need 2 baths. I'm just baffled as to what to buy 2 of. I'd also like to know when everyone started purchasing the main things as I don't want to start too early (just cautious with it being twins) and also what size babygros do I get, as I know that twins tend to come early and I'm preparing myself for not very big babies.

Sorry to ask lots of questions but I have all the mothercare magazines etc in front of me and DH has told me to do a list of what I need and i'm baffled.

We have the plastic bath - which is good, 2 changing mats to save you running up and down the stairs -
Re toys and other stuff they will share -
Baby grows - Tesco one are good - and front fastening - you will be given loads that take longer to open than the pregnancy ! - so easy front fasteners are a must -

Nappies - 1 /3 off at sainsburys this week (7p)- ! or costco at 7.6p for Huggies - trust me when you are buying by the bix it makes a difference ! also get a big stock in - running out when you are at home on your own is not fun!

Baby wipes for up and down stairs -

We sold 2 Cradles and 2 cots on ebay today - They do grow very quickly -
V cushions are excellent and Blankets

Anything that is remote non - essential let someone else but ! It probably will be given to you !

Re Car seats we have two really light ones that double up as rocking seats ! Speak to your local twins club or Tamba and you may find someone who has twins growing out of their Seats !

Will think of any other stuff -
Oh - yes - MY SIL recommended getting a cheap shower curtain £5 and using it as a catch all when feeding - good idea - but mine are not that messy yet !

Be aware at that age they WILL pee anytime any place !
DAD to twins

KIRSTY G

Monday, January 14th 2008, 8:47am

Quoted

Originally posted by mrsjasper
One of the most useful things we have is 2m of pvc coated fabric. Its great for putting on the floor with a blanket over for some nuddy time every day, putting under the high chair for weaning, painting on, 'picnics' in front of the tv every now and again, putting on the lawn for playing outside when the grass is a bit damp....

MrsJ, we bought a yoga mat for exactly this purpose .... Never seen a yoga position in it's life :rolleyes: ... Was about a fiver from Tesco, and is about 5ft long ... Great for tummy time, and crawling practice

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Monday, January 14th 2008, 5:25pm

Not an essential item but a large play mat is a good investment, there are a selection here:

http://www.babycare-direct.co.uk/activity_playmats.html

(unautherised link)

I like the large one with the arches. My two just about still fit in a standard sized playgym but its becoming a bit of a squeeze.

I echo the two changing mats -one for upstairs & one for down & I also use a sponge bath support rather than a plastic bath - anything that saves space is a blessing in our house!

I got one pack (of 6) of early baby baby grows (up to 7lb) whch were handy for a few weeks but probably not an essential as they can always be bought if needed at the time.

xx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

Lexie

Star

Tuesday, January 15th 2008, 1:11pm

Aw thanks for the replies everyone. They've been a great help. Now can anyone help me with my back problems ha.

Honestly I'm only 24 weeks and I'm so puffed out when I walk and can hardly get my breath. I'm not sleeping at all due to the positions they are in and I feel so bloated. Please tell me it doesn't get worse than this. I don't think I could handle any more ailments.

Cheers everyone.
Me 34,DH, 32. DD15 from prev relationship. Scan 9/07 showed 2 [zx076] [zx076] My perfect little ladies arrived healthy 7 weeks early on 18/3/08 weighing 4lb 8 and 3lb13...Love my three pinkies

KIRSTY G

Tuesday, January 15th 2008, 1:20pm

:innocent:

It doesn't get easier, let's put it that way :laugh:

It's such a small portion of time, it passes in a flash ...

Rest whenever you can, and get your feet up at every opportunity

Lexie

Star

Tuesday, January 15th 2008, 1:25pm

Hi Kirsty

I'm at home on the sick at the moment as I cant manage sitting at my desk all day with my back problems. I have an appt with the Physio on Fri. I'm going to try and get another week's sick note then go back for 4 weeks, then I start my maternity around the 22nd Feb.

Did you get loads of lower pelvic pain. I seem to be suffering a lot with that this week and pain in my ribs. Is it the way they are lying?

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Tuesday, January 15th 2008, 1:31pm

I had my boys at 34w spent 3 weeks in SCBU bag was packed from 30weeks
Pram
swing - was gift hardly used and took up lg space in lounge
High chairs
car seats x 2 - gift my sis had 2 saved few quid - chk offers on twin pram sets with car seats inc
Play mat with over head toys ( big enough for both to lie under)
MAmas and papas change station saves your bk and chp change mat for down stairs
we bough 2 cotbed 149.00each argos inc mat- longer usage then cot

2 moses baskets and stands 60 each, used 7 weeks waste of money really

Sterlaiser, bottle warmer 12 lg avent bottles mixed teets
Baby muslin sheets - our boys were v v v sick after feeds
around 14/20 vests & grows to do 1 wash a week if pushed

I bought loads of nappies and wipes i think i bought a box a week so i had a mad amount of about 400 naps and 15pks wipes so no need to shop 1st month I used tesco and asda own as i changed them with every 3hr feed, pampers price seemed a waste.

4 dummies just in case 6 sheets moses / cot

Bibs 10

Hats and some an all in one fleecy suit for going out, no need to dress just put over grow.

two boxes with handles fill each the same, naps, wipes, bibs toy blankies, dummies, sudocrem, gripe water maybe. One down stairs and one ready for a day out - box easier to locate things then bag

Oh spare clothes in boot and blankis just in case.

you needent worry about soaps and lotions till past 1 mth they dry new babies skin.

If you get offered 2nd hand vests, grows blankies, sheets etc from friends family i would take them my boys wore things for a few weeks and grew in to next size v v quickly.
Boys have ammased 8 binbags of clothes in 12mths i have now given away all palin premmi, 1st size and 0-3mth away or i would have gladly given them to you.x x x xx

Baby chairs BEST buy i would have been lost with out
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "1xbaby pls" (Jan 15th 2008, 1:42pm)

KIRSTY G

Tuesday, January 15th 2008, 1:47pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Lexie
Hi Kirsty

Did you get loads of lower pelvic pain. I seem to be suffering a lot with that this week and pain in my ribs. Is it the way they are lying?

I really wasn't that uncomfortable (or maybe it's all a haze now) ... They were both head down all the way through, so would get a lot of kicking in my ribs .... that was so sore. But didn't really have pelvic pain ... J (my boy) was laid on a nerve for the last couple of week, which made my leg buckle if I turned on it funny.
You'll probably find the physio helps, as it's a lot of weight on your pelvis ... Have you got a bump support? A lot of twin mums swear by them

Lexie

Star

Tuesday, January 15th 2008, 5:58pm

Thanx 1x baby, much appreciated. I will write everything down and go shopping with my list.

I already have moses basket off when C was born and I'm going to lend another. I may not get the swing now as I thnk the bouncers will be just as good or maybe I'll look for a 2nd hand one.

There is a double cot on www.twinsuk.co.uk that I like, the Alana twin cot or do u think I would be better off with cot beds. Also on that website is the pram I like. Its the Twins UK premier pram. Will u girls tell me what you think of it? I'm also going to get the sugar and spice cosatto stroller. Let me know if you think the pram and cots are ok.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Lexie" (Jan 15th 2008, 6:00pm)

Wednesday, January 16th 2008, 7:24am

Lexie, mine are just sharing a cot bed at the moment and will be until they are 6mth old, I wouldnt bother going to the expense of a double cot.

Sorry to say, but my ailments got a lot worse I hated the 3rd trimester I really suffered with back and hip pain and I also got odema where your legs ankles and feet swell mine were like tree trunks, in fact I have stretch marks on my feet! I couldnt get any shoes on and even after I had them I had to go out for xmas dinner in flip flops!! I ended up going for physio and the best they could do was give me crutches to walk on which did help my back and also a 3 strapped support belt. Hope you dont get that bad I knew my girls would come early at 35wks as my body could not take anymore
Melanie

kski

Ace

Wednesday, January 16th 2008, 9:41am

HI

We have just sold 2 moses baskets + mattress _ stand for £25 each on ebay
and two cribs £30 and £40 on ebay including mattress and sheets -

There is no need to buy anything new - there is plenty of good stuff that has only been used for 2 or 3 months ! Re double crib - Not sure - ours are very different and having been cramped up for 9 months they llike their own space and peace and quiet - Cot beds - good idea -
Re prams - the twinnie favs seem to be the Nipper 360 and the JAne twin -

First of all check out the size of your Car Boot, see what will fit - Twin prams are not small!

K
DAD to twins

KIRSTY G

Wednesday, January 16th 2008, 9:57am

Quoted

I already have moses basket off when C was born and I'm going to lend another. I may not get the swing now as I thnk the bouncers will be just as good or maybe I'll look for a 2nd hand one.

There is a double cot on www.twinsuk.co.uk that I like, the Alana twin cot or do u think I would be better off with cot beds.

We got 2 cot beds from the Glasgow Pram centre. They shared at frist, but got pretty big, quite quickly and were almost meeting in the middle, so went into seperate ones at around 6 weeks. They have some lovely ones, not too expensive (http://www.glasgowpramcentre.co.uk/shop/…price_order=ASC), that come with free matresses. Not sure about the idea of a double cot ... You could always push 2 singles together if that's what you want ... Just incase they can't stand the sight of each other when they're a year old :snigger:

Quoted

Originally posted by Lexie Also on that website is the pram I like. Its the Twins UK premier pram. Will u girls tell me what you think of it? I'm also going to get the sugar and spice cosatto stroller.

I quite like that pram, but could imagine that it's massive when folded, and probably quite heavy. We had a hard time too, when looking for prams. Ended up getting the first wheels (it's shown on that site too), with the carrycots ... I swing between hating it and loving it. It's huge when folded, and barely fits into the boot of our Picasso. But is very manouverable, and looks beautiful. The twins could lay flat when they were brand new, and were nice and snug. But it really is big, and expensive ... We've hardly used it till now ... But, now the twins are older, they like to sit in it without the carrycots, and are much happier when they can sit facing you ... so for that, I love it ... We have one of those Cosatto ones too (the Bro, and Sis one ... cheaper in Mothercare), and it folds teeny, tiny (still a bit heavy though), is very manouverable, but they can't sit facing you ;( ... But it is lovely and snug, with the cosy toes etc. So we use the cosatto one for trips where we know we might have trouble with doors, and the first wheels when they'll be in it for a while, and need entertaining.

Lexie

Star

Wednesday, January 16th 2008, 12:13pm

Thanks Kirsty
There are some great bargains on that website you gave me, even the stroller is about £50 quid cheaper and the actual car seats that I like on there are cheaper as well.

Think I'll def go for the cot beds.

I didn't realise that you had a boy and girl, I thought it was 2 girls.

Thanks again.

Lexie

Star

Wednesday, January 16th 2008, 12:24pm

Hi Kski

I have a Renault Megane so although the boot is quite spacious the pram would prob not fit in. I have a open driveway and and a double garage that would fit the pram in no probs but my mum and rest of family have only small gate entrances to their house so getting the pram in is going to be a massive prob. I had bad enough time with C's single pram.

DH is thinking about getting one of those Audi jeeps so we'll have plenty room there but mine will be the main car as he will be at work majority of the time.

kski

Ace

Wednesday, January 16th 2008, 1:06pm

The one you are looking at is 79 cent or 2 ft 8

Worth measuring your doors - It does look very nice -

We went straight for the Nipper - which is a bit of a catch all - but I did have a fun 4 months stopping Twin parents in the street and asking for user reviews on prams -
I would check all the prices with people on here who have a canny knack of finding a cheap supplier !

k
DAD to twins

Wednesday, January 16th 2008, 5:19pm

I like Kirsty have the City Twin Stroller and got this off www.prams4u.com for £450, I love it not had many trips out in it yet thou, but we have the Renault Grand Scienic and the pram fits into their ok. We got our Maxi Cosy car seats off an ebay shop for £75 each including postage which saved us £50 than buying it in the shops.
Melanie

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "melanie" (Jan 16th 2008, 5:22pm)

Lexie

Star

Monday, January 21st 2008, 6:05pm

Hi Everyone

I have ordered mmy nursery furniture. 2 x cot beds, a changing unit with drawers and a wardrobe. They are the Mamas and Papas Murano range and MIL has bought them.

Just wondering when I should be ordering pram. Is it too soon? and also does anyone know what the best monitors are to get and the best play gym thing, the one with the arches above it. Oh and any ideas on mobiles or should I just get one of those where it plays music and shines the lights on the ceiling. Soooo many things to buy.

Thanx xxx

KIRSTY G

Monday, January 21st 2008, 8:31pm

Quoted

Hi Everyone

I have ordered mmy nursery furniture. 2 x cot beds, a changing unit with drawers and a wardrobe. They are the Mamas and Papas Murano range and MIL has bought them.

Just wondering when I should be ordering pram. Is it too soon? and also does anyone know what the best monitors are to get and the best play gym thing, the one with the arches above it. Oh and any ideas on mobiles or should I just get one of those where it plays music and shines the lights on the ceiling. Soooo many things to buy.

Thanx xxx

If you have room in your house, you can order the pram whenever you like, or maybe order it and ask the store to keep hold of it for you. I have the BT baby monitors, and they are brill, bit expensive though BT Monitor, best feature of it is being able to remotely start the lullaby, great for 2am grumbles :snigger: We're still looking for a good baby gym, they have one which they're not bothered aout, so looking for a better one. The light shining ceiling thing ...They're not bothered by those either, and the one we've got doesn't shine very brightly on the ceiling, it's a bit pale iykwim??

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Monday, January 21st 2008, 8:46pm

My boys love there winnie the Pooh cot mobile its has tnkle twinkle lullaby and 3 lights on ceiling, eeyore, piglet and Tigger they flicker on and off and it cnbe set for Musc, Music & lights, lights only (great if one asleep and one awake).
Its pa of there routine now, once there in cot I switch it on and usually by the timet stops there asleep oh you can adjust te 5-15min and volume it was a girf i thinkrom Mothercare or agos, i dont think itould be v expensive...also handy if you away from home you can take it with you for a bit of night time home comfort x x
I would go pram shopping NOW, you n to test a few and it may be a few weeksor delivery to shop orhome, the shp i used stod pram till I was 30 weeks they offered to keep it till due date but the shop was 100 miles away and it was getting difficult to shop, drive and walk by 30 weeks. x x x
How are feeling x x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE