You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "LadyLuck" started this thread

Monday, October 22nd 2007, 10:46pm

Would you use a registered childminder?

As DH is in army, we have just moved to Portsmouth. We sometimes have balls come up that we would like to go to but we don't have any family around to help with babysitting if we were to go.

We have a ball coming up in December. I was wondering if anyone would actually use a registered childminder that they don't know as a one off now and then.

You hear so many different stories and you end up worrying, "what if". Well I do anyway.

Would anyone use like an Ofsted registered childminder?

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, October 22nd 2007, 10:56pm

I would!

You HAVE to be able to trust people... most of the population are good people and we have to trust caregivers, nursery nurses, teachers, dinner ladies, nurses, doctors.... chilminders and babysitters....

You need a life too and as long as checks are done and you trust your gut instinct then.... I would go for it...

Monday, October 22nd 2007, 11:23pm

Thanks Bells x x x

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 8:12am

Absolutely. Thats what these people are for. Would it be possible to have a practice run before the event, then you know you can trust the childminder and will be able to relax ont he night and enjoy yourself?

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 9:50am

yep, absolutely, thats what they're for and like Bells says there are lots and lots of very trustworthy people out there

lulu27

• "lulu27" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 11th 2006

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 10:17am

Ask around where you live because my Ofsted Registred Childminder lives on our Patch literally 5 houses away!!! Many Army wives do Child minding as they know they can get good business due to the nature of our dh's job's!!! We're going to the xmas ball on the 1st of Dec I cant wait it will be our first night out. We're going to take the babies to Essex to Stay with their great Aunt and Uncle for the night as they love them so much and will get spoilt rotten. Where are your nearest Family???

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 10:22am

I would too. Ask for references, not just written ones, but a phone number of someone you can call and chat to about the person. I have a childminder once a week (regularly) for DS2. I liked her, but was only completely convinced when I talked to a referee who spoke so highly of her, really genuinely. DS2 loves going there now, and I'm completely comfortable with the arrangement.

I agree though, to get C to meet her at least once before the day itself is a good idea so that you don't worry when you're at the ball.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 1:07pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Limpet
I would too. Ask for references, not just written ones, but a phone number of someone you can call and chat to about the person. I have a childminder once a week (regularly) for DS2. I liked her, but was only completely convinced when I talked to a referee who spoke so highly of her, really genuinely. DS2 loves going there now, and I'm completely comfortable with the arrangement.

I agree though, to get C to meet her at least once before the day itself is a good idea so that you don't worry when you're at the ball.

What she said!!!! I think as long as you have got references, done a spot check, and by this i mean just turn up unannounced, have a list of questions, and as long as you feel comfortable and confident that they are going to do everything that you want, the way you want then as long as your all happy it ahould be fine!!! xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 11:21pm

My problem is this.....

Chloe usuallygoes down fine. But occassionally she cries 1-2 times before 11pm. Not sure why, but a cuddle from mummy usually stops her and she goes straight back to sleep.

She wont settle if Daddy cuddles her, she wont even go near him so I would worry that she won't settle for a babysitter/minder. It would probably be the same if my Mum looked after her also.

Where DH was in Iraq and on courses she has got so used to just me and she don't want anyone but me. I guess I will just have to try it and see how it goes???

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Tuesday, January 8th 2008, 7:19pm

Ohhh - am meeting with a potential childminder for max on thursday - what sort of questions should i ask? So far I have

How is the child's day structured?
How do you discipline the children?
Where do they nap?
Are you first aid trained?
Do you provide food? If so what type of food do you give the children?
What is the age group of the other children you mind?

I am so clueless at this - help!!! She is a registered childminder so I presume I can check her ofsted report - how do i go about doing this?

Thank you!!

5 x ICSI b.f.n
1 x FET resulting in my gorgeous son born 2007

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Tuesday, January 8th 2008, 7:45pm

Will the childminder look after him at your home, at his/her home or at other place?
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Ethel

Star

Tuesday, January 8th 2008, 7:54pm

Hello hun - hope ok xxx

Ask about if she will take the children out for day ie to simulate them - i know this might come under structured - but even if she takes them out once a forthnight to the park or something think this is good

My friend told me to ask this

I will be using a childminder too for after school and part holidays

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, January 8th 2008, 8:46pm

Are there any particulr aspects of Max's routine you want her to continue? If so ask her how she feels about that and would it cause her a problem.

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, January 8th 2008, 9:27pm

I'd add

- does anyone else visit their house whilst they are childminding (some child minders buddy up with another child minder)
- do they have any back up if they are ill (like above some have a reciprical arrangment with other child minders in cases of emergencies)
- do they have any pets

Ask to look at her latest Ofsted report and ask for her reference no. - once you have that you can go on the Ofsted website and look her up.

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 1:08pm

Thanks everyone - i have all my questions sorted now - just hope we like eachother!

5 x ICSI b.f.n

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 7:55pm

I cant believe how lucky I am!!! Met with the childminder today and she was like a real life mary poppins! I fell in love with her in about 2 mins. Lovely lady, gorgeous house 5 mins walk from mine, 2 great polite kids and another little cutie that she minds. Everything in her welcome pack is exactly what I was looking for and she seemed great with M. He is going to have a couple of trial visits next month to see how he gets on and subject to references he will be going there when i return to work part time in march. I just hope it works out, she seemed so lovely and after 10 minutes i felt like i was round at a mates having a playdate. Feel much better about going back to work now. I am a happy mummy!!

5 x ICSI b.f.n

mrsjasper

Megastar

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 8:33pm

Thats good Glitzy, it makes so much differnece if you are happy with your childcare.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 8:53pm

That's brilliant she sounds perfect :smile:

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Friday, January 11th 2008, 12:04pm

Thats great glad it all went well x x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Friday, January 11th 2008, 12:24pm

H, glad you were happy with her, its so important isnt it, it turns your stomach to think of a stranger looking after your LO but I am so glad you liked her and it went well.

Back to work in March!!!! OMG. You will be fine x

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Friday, January 11th 2008, 12:37pm

Obviously you have to check various facts and details, like insurance and registration, but there is such a large sense of gut feeling too and to like her and feel you can trust her immediately is *brilliant*!

I'm so pleased for you H!
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE