You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

BeckyBoo

• "BeckyBoo" started this thread

Reg: Jun 27th 2007

Wednesday, September 19th 2007, 9:31pm

folic acid & pregnacare questions

Can someone let me know if I should stop takinng my folic acid tablet now that I am passed 12 weeks, I havent taken it for 2 days now but thought I should just check with you all.

Thanks x
BeckyBoo

Me 36 DH 32[zx076]
Laparotmomy - Blocked tubes/hydrosalpinx
Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy 2004
1st IVF attempt 2005 - :BFN:
2nd IVF attempt 2005 - :BFN:
Tubal Sugery 2006 opened tubes successfully - given chance naturally
HSG - May 2007 tubes blocked again
3rd IVF :BFP: 4 Frosties!!
WE ARE HAVING TWINS!!!!!!!!! :sticky:

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Wednesday, September 19th 2007, 10:15pm

Keep on taking it all the way through til birth :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

• "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Thursday, September 20th 2007, 7:50am

I am taking Pregnacare vitamin tablets which contain Folic Acid and it says on there that Folic Acid is good for the production of blood formation later in pregnancy. My midwife said its ok to take throughout.

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

Jaid

Ace

Reg: Jul 19th 2006

Thursday, September 20th 2007, 9:51am

I'm still taking it. Thought why not as it's all good.
Jaid
Me 35, DH 41 -TTC/since Apr04
Natural BFP-Jun05/M/C @ 6 weeks-Jul05
Blocked Tubes - Mar06
1st IVF - '06' bfn / 2nd IVF '06'- bfn
8th Mar 07 - Laparoscopy / Endo found & cleared.
Tried Naturally - July 07 - BFP
Have a beautiful baby girl.

Reg: Mar 6th 2006

Thursday, September 20th 2007, 10:16am

I have just been told my doctor to come off Sanatogen and been given something stronger by the doc its called pregaday and it has more iron in it and also Folic Acid, but can only be taken after 13weeks.
Melanie
1st IUI cylce 10 March 06 BFN
2nd IUI cycle 19th June 06 BFN
3rd IUI cycle 6th Sep 06 BFN
4th IVF 31st March at St Barts :BFP:

Daisy born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.16am 4lb 13.5 oz
Nuala born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.18am 5lb 10oz

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Children: One daughter

Thursday, September 20th 2007, 10:21am

I am still taking it. You and baby still need it - just for different reasons.
MC 1997, Ectopic 2006, Tubal infertility, 1st IVF :BFP: [zx098]

BeckyBoo

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 4:00pm

pregnacare?

Hi,

I am 15 weeks pregnant tomorrow with twins and was wondering if it is ok to start taking Pregnacare supplements at this stage? My midwife got me to stop taking folic acid at 12 weeks and I havent taken anything since except trying to eat healthily. Do you think it will do any harm starting it now?

thanks Becky xx
BeckyBoo

Me 36 DH 32[zx076]

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 4:05pm

Hi, my cons told me that I would be needing more iron and folic acid, and told me to get some from my doctor, he has given me some vitamins called pregaday and these can only be taken after 13weeks you take them twice a day, plus they are free on prescription. Hope that helps
Melanie

BeckyBoo

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 4:08pm

Were you taking a supplement before them other than folic acid?
have they made a difference at all to how you feel?
BeckyBoo

Me 36 DH 32[zx076]

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 4:32pm

I was on Sanatogen, but they said they were not strong enough, I have been on them for nearly a week now. Dont feel much difference but I am really big now I look like someong full term with a singleton, so not expecting to feel a big surge of energy thou!
Melanie

Reg: Apr 7th 2006

Children: sophie 31/01/2008 and angels above

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 4:42pm

not that im pregnant with twins but should i still be taking something??

i took sanatogen pronatal tabs since i got BFP to 12 weeks and not took anything since and i dont seem to be showing all that much

should i restart them or get something else from dr?

sorry for highjacking thread :rolleyes:

Reg: Feb 4th 2007

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 5:16pm

I've been taking sanatogen since before trying and still taking it now cos it says you can take it throughout pregnancy as well

Me 28 DH 29
TTC 4 1/2 yrs
MC 2004 7wks MC 2005 11 wks
ICSI Dec 2006
Cancelled after EC:high risk OHSS
11 Frosties
Nat Fet March 07 BFN
7 Frosties :)
Med Fet May 07 BFP
VERY SHOCKING NAT BFP MAY 09

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 5:22pm

hmmm if your taking them still then maybe i should continue them still too -no harm in them

are out of date though since last month (sept) would that matter?

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 6:20pm

I am taking santatogen and will continue to. Shaz I wouldn't take the out of date ones, talk to your MW but I would try santatogen you can take them all through and after having your baby.

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 6:33pm

will throw out my old sanatogens then and get some new ones

Tanny

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 7:15pm

I have been taking pregavit since day 1. Also a nutritional supplement and fatty acids with omega3 fish oils. I have RLS and take extra amounts of Iron through veg leaves etc... Dr has said this is fine, midwife the same so even before 13 weeks, it ought to be ok, but still worth to double check with Dr.

Reg: Nov 14th 2006

Children: Twins boy and girl

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 7:19pm

God guys i hav'nt been taking anything, except iron tablets which i was given for anemia. I was taking folic acid before tx and until about 2 months pregnant...As i was so sick for the first 4 months i couldnt keep the pregnacare down anyway, nor food. Thankfully my babies seem to be strong and healthy

Love lizzy
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Reg: Apr 25th 2007

Children: 2 beautiful children - twins, Emily and Ethan born 06.02.2008

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 7:37pm

I have been taking Pregnacare plus all the way through. My doc also prescribed me with extra iron and I am just finishing off the extra folic acid I have left (I have been told I can stop taking it if I want though).
Cookie Jo
Me - 33 DH - 37
2 dogs
1st IVF - :BFP: Emily and Ethan born on the 6th February 2008.

6 frosties & currently TTC naturally before taking the plunge again!

Reg: Oct 17th 2006

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 8:34pm

I've been taking pregnacare from day one. My Gp said that it was fine to continue right through and that's what it says on the box as well. He also said it's not necessary. I stopped the seperate folic acid tabs which I was taking before starting pregnacare. Didn't want to overdo the folic acid.

xxx
Anu

Me 32, DH 33
TTC since 2001
Left ovary removed and Lap 2 years later showed adhesions.
1st IVF NOV 06 - BFN.
2nd IVF APR 07 - :BFP:
TWINS!!!

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 3rd 2007, 6:21pm

Quoted

Originally posted by AngelsMummy
will throw out my old sanatogens then and get some new ones

Does the Sanotogen contain Iron? In which case, take them as far apart from your thyroxine tablets as possible. I take my Pregnacare vits at 7pm every evening. My Thyroid Consultant told me that the iron can suppress the thyroxine - obviously both is important so if you take it far apart like say 12hrs later then the thyroxine is absorbed into your blood!

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

• "jane april" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: May 22nd 2006

Children: twin girls

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 1:18pm

Pregnacare

I'm really worried I've taken 2 pregnacare today. I am sure I haven't cause Im really conscious about things like that but it does say not to exceed the stated dose. I phoned up NHS Direct just in case and they said it won't do any harm.

Does anybody take pregnacare every day? I started when going through my treatment and just haven't stopped.

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
DH fine, me blocked tubes and adhesions
1st IVF BFN,December 06 tubal surgery,2nd IVF BFN,3rd IVF :BFP: TWINS
5 frosties
April 09 ectopic pregnancy

bab10 bab10
our babies are two pink frillies

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 2:20pm

As NHS Direct have said, one tablet is not going to make any difference.

What you put into your body now is essential for your babies growth and development, so it's imperative that you are feeding your babies, not just yourself, with all of the things that *they* need.

So, your babies need their vitamins and nutrients (which aren't hidden in pasties and hobnobs you know!! :snigger: ) One pregnacare tablet isn't going to harm them, but they *do* need their goodness

The UK Department of Health Estimated Average Requirements are a daily calorie intake of 1900-2000 calories per day for women and the The American College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists recommend an extra 300 calories per day per baby, making 600 calories per day extra in total if you are expecting twins.

Feeling full isn't down to the calories, it's down to what you are eating, so don't be fooled into thinking you've eaten enough calories/enough of the right food for you and babies just because you are full

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice…regnantdiet.htm

Quoted

Does a pregnant woman need to eat twice as much?

It has often been said that a pregnant woman should eat for two people, but this is not true.

What is true is that during pregnancy a woman has to provide good nutrition for two individuals. The growing baby gets all its nourishment from its mother through the umbilical cord, so diet is very important. If the mother is lacking in any vitamins and nutrients her baby might lack them too.

If a woman has had trouble keeping her weight up or down before the pregnancy, she should make a nutritional plan with the help of her doctor or midwife.

How much energy does a woman need during pregnancy?

• A woman who is not pregnant needs approximately 2100 calories per day.

• A pregnant woman needs approximately 2500 calories per day.

What sort of food should pregnant women eat?

A well-balanced diet should contain something from all the food groups: dairy products, fruit, vegetables, fish, meat, eggs, fat and carbohydrates. A pregnant woman needs to eat something from all these food groups every day in order to get the proper amounts of energy.

• Approximately 10 per cent of calories should come from protein. Protein is mainly found in meat, fish, eggs, dairy products and beans.

• Approximately 35 per cent of calories should come from fat, which is mainly found in butter, oils, margarine, dairy products and nuts.

• Approximately 55 per cent of calories should come from carbohydrates, which are found in bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, corn and other grain products.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_livi…regnancy1.shtml

COW & GATE HEALTHY EATING

Quoted

Top tips for a healthy diet

• Choose a variety of foods from each of the different food groups to make sure you’re getting a good balance
• Have 3 regular meals and 2 to 3 light snacks a day
• Include generous helpings of fruits and vegetables, wholegrain cereals and beans to increase your fibre intake
• Drink water regularly – at least 8 glasses a day
• Include other drinks in your diet such as low-fat milk, fresh fruit juices and soup
• Eat one portion of oily fish and one portion of white fish each week (but avoid shark, swordfish and marlin)
• Use vegetable oils such as corn, olive and sunflower oil in your cooking, but use them sparingly
• Limit your intake of processed and preserved foods as they usually contain high levels of salt
• Reduce your caffeine intake to no more than 3 mugs of coffee or 6 cups of tea a day
• Limit your intake of sweets, crisps, cakes, biscuits, fats, oils, and sugar. These all provide extra calories but not much of the nutritional value that you and your baby need. Over-indulging now means it will be harder to regain your pre-pregnancy figure afterwards, so try to resist dipping into the biscuit tin too often
• Ask your midwife or doctor about extra supplements if you’re worried you’re not eating from a particular food group

Key nutrients during pregnancy

Certain nutrients play particularly important roles in your baby’s development during pregnancy. To find out more about each one, simply click on the nutrients you are interested in:

Vitamins and nutrients you need during pregnancy:

Folic acid
Iron and Vitamin C
Omega fats
Prenatal vitamin supplement

Vitamins to avoid during pregnancy:

Vitamin A

Folic acid
Folic acid helps reduce the risk of birth defects such as spina bifida. The most important time to take it is from a few months before you conceive until the end of your first trimester (12 weeks). During this period, it’s important that you are eating a healthy balanced diet as well as taking a folic acid supplement. You can also include folate-rich foods in your diet such as green vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, beans, and peas; and fruits such as oranges.

Iron and Vitamin C
Iron is one of the key nutrients you need throughout pregnancy – it’s important for carrying extra oxygen around in your red blood cells and your baby needs it for their developing brain.

If you don’t have enough iron, you’ll run the risk of becoming anaemic, which will leave you feeling tired, washed-out and generally unwell. So make sure you have plenty of iron-rich foods in your diet such as red meat, fish, eggs, dried fruit, wholegrain breakfast cereals and breads, and green leafy vegetables. Your midwife may also recommend an iron supplement.

Iron is best absorbed by your body if you also eat some fruit or vegetables rich in Vitamin C at the same time, so have a glass of fruit juice with your cereal or have some fresh fruit as a starter to your main course.

Floradix liquid iron formula

http://www.healthcheckpharmacy.com/shop/…p?productid=604

Quoted

Provides Nutritional Iron, A Mineral Required For Maintaining Fitness And Health. Floradix is a nutritious Food Supplement which provides organic iron, extracts of carefully selected herbs, delicious fruits, vitamins, specially cultured yeast and ocean kelp. In addition, it contains extracts of wheat germ and rosehips. Iron is an essential dietary fact. Floradix has absorbable iron in the form of a yeast extract food supplement. In addition, it contains B vitamins including thiamin, riboflavin, pyridoxine and vitamin B12 in a readily available and absorbable form, Floradix offers nutrients required for growth and maintaining fitness and health. Floradix is especially suitable for women (including expectant and nursing mothers), men, growing children and persons whose diet is lacking in natural iron and vitamins. Nutrition information: Typically per 100 ml per 10 ml: Energy 419.5 kj (101.2 kcal) 41.95 kj (10.12 kcal). Protein 0.20 g 0.02 g, Carbohydrate 24.5 g 2.45 g. Fat <1 g <0.1 g. Per 100 ml %RDA * per 100 ml per 10 ml %RDA* per 10 ml: Vitamin C 100 mg 167 10.0 mg 17.Thiamin 8 mg 571 0.8 mg 57.

Omega fats
Getting enough omega 3 fatty acids during pregnancy is important, as they will help your baby’s nervous system to develop healthily, as well as help prevent you from getting heart disease. Some omega fats are important for the development of your baby’s brain and nervous system.

Oily fish like sardines, mackerel and salmon are all rich sources of omega 3 fatty acids but you shouldn’t have more than two portions a week, as the fish can also contain mercury, high levels of which can be harmful for your baby. Alternative sources of omega 3 are seeds such as pumpkin and flax – you’ll need about two tablespoons a day – or you can always have a pregnancy-friendly supplement instead

Prenatal vitamin supplement
You could opt for just one multivitamin supplement specially made for women trying to conceive or who are pregnant. It’ll help you get the right balance of nutrients recommended for a healthy pregnancy, including folic acid and iron.

But make sure you choose a supplement made for use during conception and pregnancy and not a regular multivitamin, as these can contain potentially high levels of the vitamins you should be avoiding.

Vitamin A
Foods such as pâté and liver sausage, are good sources of iron but they can also contain very high concentrations of Vitamin A which can harm your baby if consumed in high amounts.

The Department of Health recommends that pregnant women should avoid liver and liver products.You should also be aware that some vitamin supplements are high in this vitamin, so always choose a safe pregnancy supplement. Your midwife will be able to help you with this.

However, there is a form of Vitamin A, known as beta-carotene, which is fine for pregnant women to have. Beta-carotene can be found in red, yellow and orange peppers, mangoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, apricots, tomatoes and watercress.

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 2:27pm

I believe I used Pregnacare with my eldest and took it from the minute I knew I was preg and continued until 3 months after his birth. Did the same with 2nd except used Sanatogen Pronatal. This time I had been taking Sanatogen every day for about a year before I got pregnant as we had been trying to conceive all that time (3 early losses) and I have continued to take them and will do so until about 3 months after born again.
I am surprised your midwife got you to stop taking your vits...did she give any reason? My GP said it is recommended to take folic acid/preg vits for the first tri at least, but that you may continue to take them throughout.
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

• "jane april" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: May 22nd 2006

Children: twin girls

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 2:43pm

Hey hun, midwife didn't tell me to stop taking them (did I say that - must be pregnancy hormones!!!), I just wondered who else does and I thought I may have taken 2 today by mistake but I am 99% sure I have only taken my usual one.

Thanks for that Eeyore but I do have a range of different foods, what I said before is just an example of what I would eat and what I eat is very healthy most of the time, but of course I have some "naughty" food too :snigger: I just can't get enough of my hob nobs but I promise I do limit myself lol.

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
DH fine, me blocked tubes and adhesions
1st IVF BFN,December 06 tubal surgery,2nd IVF BFN,3rd IVF :BFP: TWINS
5 frosties
April 09 ectopic pregnancy

bab10 bab10
our babies are two pink frillies

mayo

Star

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 4:01pm

Sorry Jane...didn't mean to make you doubt your sanity there love ......was thinking of Beckyboo who'd said midwife got her to stop at 12 weeks.... I should have done that quote text thingy to save confusion :smile: but haven't done it before as I am technologically challenged...here goes...

Quoted

I am 15 weeks pregnant tomorrow with twins and was wondering if it is ok to start taking Pregnacare supplements at this stage? My midwife got me to stop taking folic acid at 12 weeks and I havent taken anything since except trying to eat healthily. Do you think it will do any harm starting it now?

Quoted

ok...that didn't do what I thought it would have...will have to work it out for next time :snigger:
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "mayo" (Jul 31st 2008, 4:11pm)

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 4:35pm

at the end of the block of text you want to quote, Mayo, you need a forward slash, e.g. [/quote]

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

• United Kingdom

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 7:28pm

I took Pregnacare in pregnancy as a boost to my everyday diet until I finished breastfeeding. I told the midwife and she welcomed it - she said she wished more of her "ladies" did that. But it is still better to eat a healthy varied diet nonetheless - it is a supplement rather than instead of.

xxx Lorraine xxx

mayo

Star

Friday, August 1st 2008, 2:52pm

Ahhhh...thank you Jensqui!
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Caz

Ace

Reg: Aug 17th 2008

Children: 2 perfect boys, Thomas & James

Thursday, February 12th 2009, 5:37pm

Pregaday Iron Tablets

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone who's taking these has carried on with their normal pregnancy vitamin seeings as these also have folic acid in them?

Cheers
IVF/ICSI Aug 08 :BFP: - Thomas born 26/04/09 baby2
FET Aug 10 :BFP: - James born 18/04/11 baby7

Reg: Aug 9th 2008

Friday, February 13th 2009, 4:29pm

Women who eat a full balanced diet should not really need any supplements, saying that any of the pregnancy ones such as pregnacare or sanatogen will not harm you and will be beneficial if you are lacking anything from your diet, as has been mentioned before folic acid is recommended in the first 12 weeks, this is because low levels of folic acid have been associated with Spina Bifida, as the spinal colum is fully developed by 12 weeks no further supplements are needed. I take pregnacare most days mainly because i have a bad diet (dont eat much meat and no fish) Essentail fatty acids found in fish are needed for babys brain development and the pregnacare plus contains these fatty acids in the form of omega 3. Just make sure any multi vits are for pregnancy as gebral ones usually contain Vit A which should not be taken in pregancny (that ia why you are told to avoid Liver - it is high in Vit A)

roxy7

Star

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Saturday, September 5th 2009, 5:58pm

Query about folic acid

I've been taking 400 micrograms of folic acid whist trying to conceive but I've read in a few places that it should be 800 micrograms - help! Does anyone know which is right?

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

Jodie

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Saturday, September 5th 2009, 6:10pm

Hi Roxy

I just took one folic acid tablet a day, no idea what MG it was. And then later on I took a pregnacare a day which has folic acid in it.

Maybe phone your clinic?

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Reg: Feb 17th 2009

Children: Ashley my little gift, 3 years old

Saturday, September 5th 2009, 7:19pm

Its 400 i think its bad for u if u take too much! i cant remmeber where i read it but i did read somewhere that it can cause some problem if u take too much! just the one tablet a day is enough! x
bab22

Steffani

jilly

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Saturday, September 5th 2009, 7:34pm

I've been taking Pregnacare from before starting ICSI and i'm sure its 400 - I think Steffs right, taking too much is bad for you.
Cheryl
1st ICSI blessed with Aiden Reece Parkin born 01.01.10

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Saturday, September 5th 2009, 8:05pm

Its definitely 400mcg.

Here's a handy summary
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/preconception/ref/folicacid/ (link not endorsed by FZ)

angew

Reg: Aug 22nd 2009

Children: CFC

Saturday, September 5th 2009, 9:10pm

So glad i read this... I'm also on 800mcg and thought the more, the better. It impressed my FS :P. Anyway, just quickly did some research and found a few websites that suggest that anything less than 1,000 is safe, but 400 is fine as you also get some folic acid from greens.

So ... I'll switch to my pregnancy vitamin now which only has 400.

Thanks for asking the Q, Roxy!

Off to bed now... being pregnant is tiring!

Sep 3/09: ICSI :BFP: woohoo
Nov 3/09: bab21

angew

Reg: Aug 22nd 2009

Children: CFC

Saturday, September 5th 2009, 9:15pm

Just found more interesting stuff on http://www.pregnancy-calendars.net/folicacid.aspx ...

How much folic acid do I need?

Once you're pregnant ensure that you are getting at least 600mcg daily – although the recommendation from most healthcare providers may be 800mcg and some prenatal vitamins contain 1000mcg. Folic acid itself is a water soluble vitamin, so any additional folic acid that you may have taken in that your body does not need will be flushed out of your system and will not harm you or your baby.

There is, as always, a “but” – taking too much folic acid may hide a possible B12 deficiency, although it is uncommon to be low in B12 if you're a healthy young woman with a varied diet, but it can be a problem if you are a vegetarian or if your intake of dairy products is low.

Sep 3/09: ICSI :BFP: woohoo
Nov 3/09: bab21

Eli

Ace

Reg: Oct 6th 2008

Children: 2 Girls

Sunday, September 6th 2009, 8:33am

Hi Girls

I uesd to take 400mcg , but at my 12 week obsteatritian appointment she asked me to take 500mcg every day as we are expecting twins + iron tablets(my levels were fine but again just because it is twins).
Good luck everyone.
Eli
XXX
Me 32, DH 34

Reg: Jul 22nd 2008

Children: One beautiful daughter after 2nd ICSI attempt :) She was born October 2009

Sunday, September 6th 2009, 10:01am

In Germany they suggest 800mcg up to 12 weeks, the dropping to 400mcg for the rest of the pregnancy. :smile:
like Angew said, it's water soluble so any extra will just get flushed out. I wouldn't panic too much about it.

xxx
me 42, DH 35
ICSI 1 2009 :(
ICSI 2 2009 :BFP:
ICSI 3 2011 :(
ICSI 4 2012 ??? hopefully!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Pooch" (Sep 6th 2009, 10:02am)

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Sunday, September 6th 2009, 10:40am

do remember that you get folic acid from your diet as well as from your supplement! So, chances are that you have always been getting more than the 400mcg from your tablets. Please don't worry about it xxx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

roxy7

Star

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Monday, September 7th 2009, 8:28am

Thanks for all the replies ladies. I even had a nightmare about it!!!! But, clearly, my anxiety is misplaced (which happens often!)

It seems to be the american websites that recommend 800 micrograms.

I've also been taking 2 sachets of Spatone iron supplements. I take one a day normally as I have a blood disorder that can make me iron deficient, but have added another whilst pregnant. It's miles better than iron tablets - no constipation!

R x

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

Reg: Nov 1st 2009

Children: Cardiff

Wednesday, November 18th 2009, 2:07pm

Folic Acid

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm that its ok to take folic acid alongside medication. Am still on progynova and cyclogest and also taking a steroid daily. Just wanted to check!!
2004 - IVF , fresh eggs - BFN
2004 - FET, BFN
2005 - IVF Fresh eggs - BFP (it's a girl !)
Nov 2009 - FET, BFP!!!!

Reg: Jul 21st 2009

Children: 2 angels watching over us & our precious DD Scarlett Leigh <3

Wednesday, November 18th 2009, 3:31pm

I don't think there is a problem. Wel I haven't been warned anyways ?( :smile:
Lots of heartbreaking history incl 2 losses :-(

April 12 - IVF - :BFP:

Sept/Oct 18 - ICSI

OHSS ;(

4 embies in the freezer :rollseyes:

Reg: Mar 9th 2009

Children: Christian

Wednesday, November 18th 2009, 4:45pm

Hi loulou,

I would not think its a problem either as its just a supplement like a vitamin, but to be sure I would talk to my doctors.

*Good luck!
Betti
2nd ICSI - April 2009 BFN
3rd ICSI - Aug 2009:BFP:

Jodie

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 3:43pm

Hi! I don't think there's a problem. My clinic recommended I took folic acid before, during and after my cycle. However, if you have any queries, its always best to run it past your doctor!

Congrats on your BFP!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 4:54pm

As they are thinking of adding it to bread to make sure everyone gets it I can't imagine that it is known to react with anything. However it's usually best to run everything past you Dr.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Reg: Feb 18th 2011

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 5:31pm

Pregnacare

Hi,

We had our 13 week scan on Wednesday and after worrying for weeks leading up to it, everything is perfect.

My wife asked the doctor about taking Pregnacare and whether she would continue taking them and after a bit of "errrm" and uncertainty he said no.

He said its only really the iron that she would be benefitting from now and that may not be necessary.

We're not particularly convinced by how he answered, can anybody help on this?

Thanks

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 5:41pm

I would say that unless there is a medical reason not to take them (which I don't think there is.......they have special ones for pregnant ladies!), I would keep taking them. If nothing else it is a good support if you don't get the requisit vitimins etc you need each day (we're not all perfect!).

Really good news everything is well.

hx
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

Reg: Feb 3rd 2011

Children: One beautiful daughter -born Oct '11

Thursday, March 10th 2011, 6:00pm

Although I'm still in my 1st tri, I had spoken to my consultant and mw about this and they both said there was no reason to keep taking them...or to stop taking them. they said no harm would be done and the extra vitamins would be of benefit. I bought mine on 3 for 2 so have enough to see me through to the third tri.....not going to waste them!!

5 - yes FIVE angels baby5 All early losses due to elevated NK cells.

1st IVF january 2011 resulted in our beautiful daughter born Oct 2011 bab10

My diary

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE