You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "cookie" started this thread

Thursday, September 6th 2007, 1:36pm

Gestational Diabetes & Glucose Tolerance Test

i had a glucose tollerance test done at the hospital and it came back that i was borderline for gestational diabetes.... i was told not to eat too much sugar and fruit but not to worry.

today i have been speaking to a friend who had a GT test done at 28 weeks, and she was told she was fine, then at 34 weeks she had another and was told she was just over the cut off point and she had to stop eating suggary foods etc (like they have told me) she went on to have a very big baby girl weighing 11lb 2oz and the baby had very low blood sugar levels as a result. i am now worried that if i do change slightly and become diabetic in the next few weeks it will harm my baby, apparently her baby was very ill for a while after birth.

has anyone had GD??? can you advise me on what type of diet to follow, i would rather be over careful than under careful....

can any one help???

love k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, September 6th 2007, 1:48pm

Oh no, I think in every situation there is somebody that did one thing and somebody that did another it can become confusing as to what the correct thing is to do ?(, have you spoken to your MW about it? sorry not more help hun xx

cookie

Superstar

Thursday, September 6th 2007, 2:11pm

i havent spoken to her yet, she is only in on tuesdays and i have an appointment booked for next tuesday.

i just want to do what ever i can to keep this baby safe, and if all it takes is a special diet for the next 12 weeks then id rather do that iykwim?
i was on metformin aswell...and that does something to your insulin levels doesnt it??? not sure what exactly but i was told to stop taking it at my 8 week scan so i dont know if that could have any side effects for baby too. oh you are right tho chilli,....it is blummin confusing! :(

thanks chilli

:hugs:

k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Children: One daughter

Thursday, September 6th 2007, 3:22pm

I don't know anything much about GD really Willow but just wanted to send you a big hug - you really don't need any more stress do you? I hope you get the answers you need.

Just to say my dad is diabetic as a result of diet and if he is very good and avoids sugary foods his bloods stabilise very quickly. So if you avoid sugar in all it's forms (remember that most flour based products are high in sugar too like pasta, bread, particularly white bread) then your blood should stabilise fast and stop GD developing any further.
MC 1997, Ectopic 2006, Tubal infertility, 1st IVF :BFP: [zx098]

cookie

Superstar

Thursday, September 6th 2007, 3:25pm

oh thanks hun! i didnt know that! do you think wholemeal/granary/sunflower bread is ok??? (i love them :D)

i can do that! :P

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Thursday, September 6th 2007, 3:37pm

Oh yes, any wholemeal or grainy bread is much better than white. Here's something I found from a website called www.babycenter.com:

Here are some general guidelines:

• Eat a variety of foods, distributing calories and carbohydrates evenly throughout the day. Make sure both your meals and your snacks are balanced. The American Diabetes Association recommends that you eat three small-to-moderate-sized meals and two to four snacks every day, including an after-dinner snack. Although your meal plan may contain fewer carbs than you normally eat, complex carbohydrates should continue to provide most of your calories.

• Don't skip meals. Be consistent about when you eat them and the amount of food you eat at each one. Your blood sugar will remain more stable if your food is distributed evenly throughout the day and consistently from day to day.

• Eat a good breakfast. Your blood glucose levels are most likely to be out of whack in the morning. To keep your level in a healthy range, you may have to limit carbohydrates (breads, cereal, fruit, and milk), boost your protein intake, and possibly avoid fruit and juice altogether.

• Include high-fiber foods, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain breads and cereals, and dried peas, beans, and legumes. These foods are broken down and absorbed more slowly than simple carbohydrates, which may help keep your blood sugar levels from going too high after meals.

• Limit your intake of foods and beverages that contain simple sugars such as soda, fruit juice, flavored teas, and most desserts — or avoid them altogether. These foods can quickly elevate your blood sugar. Ask your healthcare practitioner about using foods sweetened with an artificial sweetener if you need a sweet fix.

• Milk is high in lactose, a simple sugar, so if you drink more than two or three glasses a day, you may need to limit the amount you drink and find an alternative source of calcium. If you're looking for a new beverage of choice, try club soda with a squeeze of lemon or orange, or unsweetened decaffeinated iced tea.

Moderately increasing your activity level is also a good way to help keep your blood glucose levels at normal levels. Again, speak with your diabetes educator or practitioner about the right amount and intensity of exercise for you.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

cookie

Superstar

Thursday, September 6th 2007, 3:42pm

wow! thanks so much limpet! :hugs: it doesnt sound too hard to follow, and doesnt sound too unbalanced to do during pg....thanks for that hun... 8)

love k xxx

Thursday, September 6th 2007, 4:31pm

That sounds like good advice. I know my dad's bloods are best when he goes quite strict on the low carb but you have to be a bit careful in pg because you don't want to go into ketosis as you would on a low carb diet - it can cause brain damage to baby in extreme cases.

But I would definitely keep your carbs complex and low. Maybe no more than 2 pieces of wholmeal or granary bread per day and a portion of brown rice, quinoa or wholemeal cous cous or pasta. Eat lots of healthy veggies as high sugar fruit will be out.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Emilia44" (Sep 6th 2007, 4:46pm)

cookie

Superstar

Thursday, September 6th 2007, 4:40pm

right o!!!

just checking how long i have to do this for lol!....84 days!!! pah easy peasy!

:laugh:

thanks ladies...

k xxxxxxx

Thursday, September 6th 2007, 4:49pm

You're a better woman than me hun - no choc, no cakes, no cheese scones - OMG I'd go insane!

Actually I've been cutting my starchy carbs right back as they make my excess fluid worse but I've been eating lots of fruit. You need to check which fruits are high sugar (bananas are but not sure which others) so you can still have the lower sugar ones to satisfy youre sweet tooth when you need to.

cookie

Superstar

Thursday, September 6th 2007, 4:56pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Emilia44
You're a better woman than me hun - no choc, no cakes, no cheese scones - OMG I'd go insane!

:tears: stop it!!!

ill be ok i think tbh anything to stop lil bubs from being poorly at birth, plus... i need to stop eating sweet stuff anyway and it can only help me fit into my jeans quicker too so im all for it. :D

Thursday, September 6th 2007, 5:21pm

You're absolutely right hun. I shall take a leaf from your book and be good over the next few weeks because eating the bad stuff is just making me feel rubbish and have excess fluid anyway.

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 12:44pm

Gestational Diabetes

I was on the borderline but they have referred me to a diabetic clinic so check my own blood glucose levels. I am on diet controlled - typical diet - 3 - 4 tabs porridge for breakfast made with milk, I portion of fruit or milk mid morning, 2 slices bergen bread (seedy) with ham and salad and a plain yog for lunch, 1 portion fruit or milk mid pm, 8oz boiled new pots or 3 tabs rice or 5oz pasta with small portion meat fish plus veg for dinner then 1 portion fruit or milk before bed. The aim being to have regular small amounts and regular amounts of slow release carbs.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Basically. There are quite a lot of Low GI cookbooks about to inspire you - good luck

Pip
Pip

Little boy naturally conceived, born June 2002

TTC for 4 years

First ICSI at Leeds St James Jan 2007 2 embryos transfered

Test 30/1 BFP - baby boy born 2nd Oct 2007

cookie

Superstar

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 12:54pm

thanks for that pip, i am doing ok i think....i usually have allbran/shreaded wheat for breaky...whole meal granary bread with ham for lunch and a proper cooked tea...meat and veg usually i also have clementine/pear/apple thrughout the dat as snacks....i did have one strange episode the other day....i had a slice of toast for breakfast then nothing till about 2pm and i went really shakey and dizzy...it was a nasty feeling, so i am trying not to leave it so long between meals/snacks now.

what do you drink thru the day pip???

one bonus, i have actually lost 1lb this week because i am eating better. :]

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 1:09pm

Drinks

I have coffee and then just huge amounts of water. Fruit juice is a no no as the sugars are released too fast into the bloodstream
Pip

Little boy naturally conceived, born June 2002

TTC for 4 years

First ICSI at Leeds St James Jan 2007 2 embryos transfered

Test 30/1 BFP - baby boy born 2nd Oct 2007

Reg: Oct 28th 2006

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 1:16pm

Sorry Willow, I can't be of any help as I don't know anything about GD... but it sounds like you are eating healthy, which is good. You'd be horrified if you saw my daily intake! I think anyone would! I think I need to start eating healthier! About drinking suring the day... what about water? I don't like regular water at the moment as it just makes me feel nauseous but I have been drinking a lot of sparkling water and hot water, sometimes with a slice of lemon. They both seem to help with my digestion and keep me hydrated as I am usually really bad at drinking water and live on diet coke!

xx

My beautiful baby son was born asleep at 19 weeks
7th October 2006 at 2.50 am
Love you!
xxx

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Monday, September 17th 2007, 8:02pm

Willow, Hun
You basically have to live life as if you are in fact diabetic. Cut out all sugary foods and drinks and stick to whole grain breads and cereals. Also limit fruit to 2-3 pieces per day. half a glass of unsweetened fruit juice also counts as one of your fruit portions. Try to eat a protein and complex carbohydrate at every meal to sustain your blood sugar and prevent highs and lows.
If your blood sugar is not controlled (esp if you have highs) you are more likely to have a large baby. Also, your baby's body is going to produce more insulin to try to reduce the sugar level in its own blood and when it is born the high level of insulin is going to mean that its blood sugar is going to drop - esp in the first few hours and even days after birth when it is getting minimal sustenance. To avoid this you need to make sure that you keep your blood sugar with in normal range for the rest of your pregnancy.
I used Metformin until 32 weeks and had to stick to a diabetic diet for the duration. I also had to test my blood sugar at least once each day - some days before breakfast, some days after a meal as instructed by my endocrinologist. C had no blood sugar control problems and was just average weight at birth.

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

cookie

Superstar

Monday, September 17th 2007, 8:22pm

:hugs: thanks rene! i am doing ok atm, trying hard not to eat the wrong stuff and im going to have my wee tested again tomorrow just to see if there is sugar there again like last week, if it is they said they may do another gt test. i was on met to get pg and they stopped me taking it, hope this baby isnt poorly after birth, im doing everything i can to stop it.

thanks again rene...

love n hugs

k xxx

Reg: Dec 6th 2006

Children: 1 little boy

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 12:09pm

pregnancy diabetes

have to go into hospital tuesday morning for a glucose tolerance test to check for pregnancy diabetes as when i had my scan on thursday babys belly was measuring big and one of the reasons for this could be diabetes, just wondering if anyone here has had that problem?

I no that it will probably come back normal i am just worried if it doesnt, dont really no much about what it could mean and the midwife reassured me that its nothing i have done but i cant help worrying.

xxx

TTC#1 4y
:BFP: 04/09 M/C

Lap 06 endo + scar tissue
Lap 08/07 laser of endo + adhesions

:BFP: 12/07 baby7Lucas born 11/09/08
Now TTC#2 since aug 09(please dont mention on fb)

Lobster

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 5th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son born on 28th May 2010

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 12:12pm

Hi,

Hi, :hello:

My sister had gestational diabetes too. I'll see if i can get any info from her for u.

Found this link by unsing google. i hope it helps.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diab…ional_diabetes/

Good luck on Tuesday :goodluck:

:xxx3:

**Admin/Moderator note - This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityZone.co.uk is not responsible for the content of external internet sites**

LAURA
28.05.10 My miracle son Harry was born 5 weeks early, by c-section lurve

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 12:17pm

thank you laura that would be brilliant

i will look at that link now

xxx

TTC#1 4y

Peppa

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 12:21pm

Hope all is well and the test comes back clear Olo - try not to worry.

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Lobster

Superstar

United Kingdom

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 12:21pm

She's not in at the mo :sniff:

But here are some more links

**Admin/Moderator note - This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityZone.co.uk is not responsible for the content of external internet sites**

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/…_pregnancy.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestational_diabetes

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/co…tions/diabetes/

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/fact…ncydiabetes.htm

Hope these are helpful and answer your questions. I'll try my sister again soon.

LAURA

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 12:36pm

thanks for all your help laura

xxx

TTC#1 4y

Lobster

Superstar

United Kingdom

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 12:39pm

No probs. Glad to help. :hugs:

Just noticed u got you BFP on my birthday!! :party:

LAURA

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 1:22pm

There is a good thread here hun

gestational diabetes???

and some excellent guidance points here

PREGNANCY & HEALTH - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 3:43pm

thanks thats great eeyore

xxx

TTC#1 4y

Lobster

Superstar

United Kingdom

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 4:14pm

oops - sorry about adding links to external websites. :sadface:

I didn't know that you're not meant to do that. Still haven't heard from my sister, just found out she's away camping. So may not have information by Tues.

Sorry
x

LAURA

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 4:31pm

Quoted

Originally posted by landi
oops - sorry about adding links to external websites. :sadface:

I didn't know that you're not meant to do that.
Sorry
x

Its not a problem Landi, you are allowed to do it, just the mods letitng everyone know that FZ is not responsible for the content of other websites, thats all.
X

Lobster

Superstar

United Kingdom

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 7:53pm

Phew!

Olo were they any use? Have you found some answers to your questions? I hope so

LAURA

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 8:56pm

yeh thanks hunny they were great all i can do now is wait and see what the results bring on wednesday and hope they come back clear.

TTC#1 4y

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "olothechick" (Aug 10th 2008, 8:57pm)

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 9:05pm

HI Olo my sister went through same thing, all her tests turned out clear she went on to have a 8lb6oz perfect daughter a week over due. I think these days if you measure big they send you for tests regardless of what your lifestyle and eating habits are.
Hope it all goes well x x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Monday, August 11th 2008, 12:17am

Hi Olo,

Just wanted to say good luck with your results, try not to worry to much.

Big :hugs:
Emy

Monday, August 11th 2008, 7:54am

thanks girls

xxx

TTC#1 4y

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Monday, August 11th 2008, 8:04am

I had low blood sugar during my last pregnancy and ate a roast beef sandwich, one fruit juice, one small bag of crisps and a few pieces of chocolate in the waiting room (blood sugar drop so needed it).
Did my bloods a short while afterwards which (of course) came back high.
So I also had to do the glucose tolerance test but all was ok.

I hope you will experience the same XX
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Monday, August 11th 2008, 8:27am

thanks chick all my urine samples have been fine except for one and the reason that was high i think was because i had just ate chocolate before i did the urine sample. The only reason they are sending me for this test is because the babys belly is measuring bigger but they struggled with measuring it so i am not sure the measurements were right

xxx

TTC#1 4y

Lobster

Superstar

United Kingdom

Monday, August 11th 2008, 7:19pm

Hi, Just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow. I'll have my fingers crossed for you that you get positive news.

x x x

LAURA

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 12:11pm

thanks hun

get my results tomorrow, she has said i am going to be referred to a consultant either way just depends if its for diabetes or not.
xxx

TTC#1 4y

Lobster

Superstar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 6:49pm

Hopefully by being referred you'll get it all sorted whatever it is.

x x x

LAURA

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 7:34pm

thanks chick

xxx

TTC#1 4y

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 7:47pm

Hi Olo, I had mine too this morning, I doubt very much at this late stage of your pregnancy that even if diabetes was diagnosed there would be alot of interference or need for medical management since you are only 2 weeks off your EDD. Still its good they are keeping an eye out, and if it was confirmed they would know to keep an eye on you in any subsequent pregnancies :smile:

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 8:01pm

yeh missy i was thinking the same time i get any help with what i can and cant eat i will be due, not sure whether they will induce me earlier or on time or just leave me.

Do you get your results tomorrow to?

xxx

TTC#1 4y

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 8:14pm

Next week I think hun, we have a scan then too. I only have a family history of diabetes and have never had any symptoms as you have so they would want your results sooner. They are taking care of you by the sounds of it though :happy:

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 8:35pm

I had this last week as I have family history, they contact you if you have it next day but as Missy says I cant image theres a lot they'll do now really. Hope you get on ok hun x

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 8:35pm

I had this last week as I have family history, they contact you if you have it near enough
next day but as Missy says I cant image theres a lot they'll do now really. Hope you get on ok hun x

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 8:38pm

i have to call up after 10 in the morning

TTC#1 4y

Wednesday, August 13th 2008, 11:42am

got my results and they are normal.

xxx

TTC#1 4y

Missy

Superstar

Wednesday, August 13th 2008, 11:44am

happydance

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Wednesday, August 13th 2008, 11:47am

feel relieved now can just get on with my last couple of weeks now

xxx

TTC#1 4y

Peppa

Wednesday, August 13th 2008, 11:47am

Brilliant news Olo :happy:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE