You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "babypink" started this thread

Reg: Oct 28th 2006

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 12:47am

I agree, its all the comments from people which make me dwell on the matter more than I probably would have if no one said anything! Its the coments that make you paranoid! I know that most od the weight I have put on is by forcing myself to eat loads because of what happened last time and because of people keep saying, eat loads, you're supposed to be eating for 2, don't worry about the weight you can always lose it later, there are plenty of other skinny girls who have bigger bumps than you... and that's nothing, there have been soooooooooo many other comments!

I do know what you mean, I don't expect a 9lb baby or anything as I am small myself but would love to have a 7lb one! Anyway, as long as its healthy, that's the main thing! My hubby was only a 6lb baby and he is 6' tall now and of a good build... I was a 7lb baby and am now only 5'2" and 8 stone pre pregnancy weight! So I know birth weight doesn't necessarily indicate what you'll be like later on.

About th enot growing for 5/6 weeks... well, its just that my belly measured the same at 28 weeks as it did at 34 weeks... so I guess that it means, it hasn't grown. Unless baby could be growing inwards? I don't know. Even on ultrasound baby was measuring small for dates but not as alarmingly as the tape measure showed.

Anyway... will turn 35 weeks in a couple of days... time is moving on! Not long to go now!

Thanks for your support girls, you make me feel better after I've had discouraging comments during the day!

xxx

My beautiful baby son was born asleep at 19 weeks
7th October 2006 at 2.50 am
Love you!
xxx

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 3:14am

oh goodness - the tape measure really is a cr*p way of measuring cos like you say the baby can be growing inwards

look at yourself sideways on in a full length mirror - now I bet the baby's head is between your legs and bum around the pointy top bit of your bump

now as you are small the baby will just be curling up more so - doesnt stop it from growing - just means it is curling up nice & snug

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 12:42pm

Thanks Sunshine, that's what I hope is happening!

xxx

Love you!
xxx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 1:24pm

I agree with Sunshine... and won't everyone be shocked when you have a 12lb baby???!!! :8o: :D

A 7lb baby is a nice size but so is a 6lb baby. A friend of mine was very petite when she had her first baby, he was a lovely healthy 5lb 6oz and is now a strapping 13 year old who TOWERS over me.

You're almost there now and baby will be gaining weight rapidly over these last few weeks. Eat healthily, loads of fruit and veg and a good mix of protein, carbs, fats and sugars... and your baby will be have such a wonderful start.

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Children: One daughter

Wednesday, September 12th 2007, 12:41pm

Glad the scan showed the baby is a normal size etc. I know everything is a worry but these mw's do like to get people worried about being small for dates. My best friend had this right through both pregnancies and her last baby was a nine pounder. Some people just carry very neatly with less fluid and although it may be worrying it has it's upside too. I'm measuring a few cm above my weeks and have lots of fluid and all I can say is OUCH!

Try to relax, there are three girls at my pg yoga class going through the same thing and all of them were in normal range when scanned. I wonder if these measurements of the fundus really help or if they just freak people out because there seems to be so many women these days getting told they are small for dates when the scans show they are just fine.

Hope you feel better about things.
xx
MC 1997, Ectopic 2006, Tubal infertility, 1st IVF :BFP: [zx098]

joanna

Reg: Sep 12th 2007

Tuesday, September 18th 2007, 8:04pm

HI

Hello lady's hope you are all ok.Went to see my midwife today have to go to the hosp Friday Joanna x

Thursday, September 27th 2007, 12:37am

Still measuring small... but not as drastically as last time! Different doctors/midwives measure differently! In one week I had 2 measurements taken by tape measure. The first on Monday measured 36cm and I was then 35 weeks and 5 days. Then on Friday I got measured at the hospital and first the student doctor measured me at 29cm... I panicked and so did the doctor! I was 36 weeks and 2 days by then so expected to measure a bit more than that! So the doc took over and said I was measuring 34cm (2 cm smaller) but in my notes she actually wrote 35cm... so dunno what I actually really measure! Not noticed any difference in my belly myself... just feel the same as I did 2 months ago! Well, hit 37 weeks today... can pop anytime! Getting nervous!

Love you!
xxx

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Thursday, September 27th 2007, 8:48am

Glad to hear from you babypink. I think they've given up measuring me now ! They just write down however many weeks I am ! Like you I've seen no change in my tummy, I normally wear size 12 tops pre PG. Size 12 is more comfy over my boobs but I'm actually wearing a size 8 smock style top today, how is that ???

I keep saying "i'm not getting any bigger" !!!

I guess we have to go with the flow..........baby's movements have dramatically decreased and I went to the delivery suite the other night and the assessment unit last night. I just wish I could get a straight answer.

Not long for you now babypink, i have been thinking of you and hoping all is ok.

Take care

xxxxxx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, September 27th 2007, 10:54am

Ladies, tape measures and tummy sizes are really really NOT a good way of determining your baby's health!

Babypink, I have never been measured through pregnancy.... are you asking for them to measure your fundus? Are they doing it because you're bringing up the size of your belly and are they hoping to clarify things??

I really do NOT know why they keep measuring your bellies... ?(

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Thursday, September 27th 2007, 1:20pm

Bells - me neither!

not once has a measuring tape been brought to my belly - except by DH once who measured the circumference for a laugh cos we reckoned a mate (male) had a bigger belly than I did at 8 months (he did :rolleyes: )

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Thursday, September 27th 2007, 1:36pm

the midwives around here measure you all the time, i think it is just a rough guide tho tbh...i have measured big all the way thru and did last time with spud aswell but he turned out to be average in size, i think if you are measuring massive or teeny tiny they can look into it further. it is just hard not to worry about things the mw says to you. i thinkthey should probably do a couple more scans throughout the pg to see whats going on rather than guessing.....but thats just my opinion ;)

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Friday, September 28th 2007, 4:10am

Bells and Sunshine, nope never showed concern over belly size to docs/midwives or even knew about the tape measure thing. They just started measuring at every visit themselves. The forst one where they told me I was measuring 5 weeks smaller, the midwife said she was concerned I was small when I just walked in the room and she saw the size of me! She was the one who referred me for a growth scan as she was concerned. I didn't even know up until then that the tape measure measurements were supposed to match the amount of weeks you are but they've told me I'm slightly smaller anyway, I never asked.
Csam, I too can still fit into my size 8 smock dresses!! I hope bobo is ok and you feel more wriggles!

Love you!
xxx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, September 28th 2007, 10:52am

Oh babypink, what 'do' they put you through??? :(

Imagine if a size 18 woman who weighed 20 stone measured the same as a size 8 woman who weighed 7 stone? By the book they should both have the same stomach measurement...!

I think our midwives are so used to seeing women who are overweight during pregnancy that they very rarely see a naturally petite woman with a perfectly sized bump.

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Friday, September 28th 2007, 10:58am

I've never asked to be measured they just always do it. When the midwife said I was 4 weeks behind, a scan 2 days later said baby was fine.

Even when the cons said i was fine on the thurs, the following tues the midwife said I was 2 weeks behind, so I'd 'lost' 2 weeks in 5 days !

TBH I think she's given up now but the hosp still measure me and always contradict each other ?(

xxxxx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, September 28th 2007, 11:09am

How a midwife can tell you that your baby is two weeks behind is absolutely beyond me?!

Two weeks behind what???? The national weight average which has then been transferred to a manual measurement based on centimetres and which applies rigidly to every single woman on the planet regardless of her height, build and BMI???

It's all a load of utter tosh!

As long as those scans showed a healthy baby then you have nothing to worry about. For once I'm on the side of the consultant .... your midwife wants a talking to.

Friday, September 28th 2007, 11:31am

Yeah I'm not really stressing to omuch about belly size anymore... not after being told different measurements by so many different midwives and docs. I think generally baby will be small anyway coz I am small and bump isn't that bug but I can't really keep up with these measurements... they are doing my head in! Just curious though, how bubba is tucked up inside there! Just been to hosp for a haemotoligist appointment and the doc looked at me and said, so how far along are you, about 22ish weeks?? I just looked at my husband! I said, 'No actually, I am 37 weeks!' then he looked at my notes and said 'Oh right, so you're near the end then'.

Love you!
xxx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, September 28th 2007, 11:38am

Quoted

Originally posted by babypink
I think generally baby will be small anyway coz I am small and bump isn't that big but I can't really keep up with these measurements... they are doing my head in!.

I think that's a good way to look at it :)

You might be surprised when baby unfolds itself and is enormous :D

I've said before... my friend was a very petite size 8 and her full term son was a very healthy 5lbs 6oz, while that does seem on the small size compared to averages, for a woman of her build it was a perfectly sized baby and he was as fit as a flea.

You 'may' have a smaller baby but as you say, you're only a dinky dot.... if you have a 9 pounder now you're going to be in shock aren't you??? :D

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Friday, September 28th 2007, 12:58pm

This might be no consolation whatsoever but I had 2 scans within 2 weeks of each other, the first was private and the second scan measurements taken say baby's femur, head etc have shrunk???? I dont think so!!! :8o: :8o: :8o:

Seems to me its ALL a bit hit and miss and depends on who you see and where you go!!!

TTC 4 yrs
ICSI Feb 2005 BFP - early MC :(
3 x DIUI Oct05/Jan06/Mar06 BFN
Starting 2nd ICSI Dec 2006

OMG!! a real :BFP: 7/2/07

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE