You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "cazzmo" started this thread

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 11:19am

after baby

Ladies
Not sure if anyone has thought of this at all. And seems a bit weird to be thinking of it but I'm wondering what happens re birth control after baby?
As in do we bother?

We had ISCI cos Dh has a low count and motiility wasn't great at last sample. I'm just wondering if theres any point in me going on the pill etc when let's face it we couldn't get PG ourselves.
OR is it a case perhaps when your body's gone through pregnancy it kinda knows what to do and you are more likely to have a natural PG after this?
OR cos I want to breastfeed I shouldn't be concerned as it delays your periods anyway?

I hope ths isn't inappropraite
Caz xx

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "cazzmo" (Aug 9th 2007, 11:21am)

lulu27

• "lulu27" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 11th 2006

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 11:24am

They ask you at your 6 week check about contraception, we're in the same boat, bless him my dh's sperm hasn't really got much in it but I suppose the thought is that it only takes one and could happen. I tried to go on various pills agaiin but they give me migraines so am now not on anything. At the moment we think well if it happens (highly unlikely) then it's meant to be. Once I get to an age where I think I really wouldn't want anymore then I will reassess. Anyway my dh is usually thousands of miles away from me so I find that quite a useful contraception method!!!

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 1:23pm

I was asked about contraception about 4 hours after T was born :rolleyes: ... you can guess what my response was ....

We're not sure what to do this time round, technically, we can get pregnant ... Andy's sperm count is fine, and I have my right tube (even though it is almost fully blocked) ... and breastfeeding isn't guaranteed to stop you falling pg (wasn't it Karen who got pg naturally with twins about 5 weeks after Freys was born? ... and she was bf'ing) so I think we'll use condoms for the first couple of months, and then go 'au natural ... it's unlikely to happen but if it does, then it does

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 1:33pm

I'm thinking the same. We've little chance of it happening for us anyway so may just go for it.

Caz x

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 1:35pm

ummmmm

yes, use contraception if you dont want another child yet

1st time around: 7 bloody years, 2 treatments, lots of tests, 1 m/c, 1 child

2nd time around: 1 drunken shag, 1 child (1! I tell you! wtf?!)

:rolleyes:

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 1:37pm

ps am not complaining though ;) :D

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 2:03pm

Lol Sunshine !!!

Caz xx

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 3:03pm

Hi Caz, the midwives and health visitors will ask you about contraception - it's on their offical list of things to tell new mothers (even those who have had fertility treatment :rolleyes: ).

I'd say at least use condoms for the first few months (if there's any demand for action from either of you... ;) ), but go "au naturel", as Kirsty says, after that time. If you got lucky with a natural conception, it would be amazing and I'm sure you wouldn't regret a small gap. I know Karen has done a sterling job with her twins so soon after Freya, and always seems to be coping so well when she posts, but it really is best to wait until there is at least 15 months between them, so don't go au naturel till your little one is at least 6 months old. I wouldn't actually recommend officially trying again till your little one is about one year old because there's evidence that your body can carry on getting back to normal for all of that first year.

Does seem silly, though, using contraception when we've spent thousands doing the opposite. :rolleyes:
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

KIRSTY G

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 3:13pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Limpet

Does seem silly, though, using contraception when we've spent thousands doing the opposite. :rolleyes:

Exactly, but knowing my luck ....

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 7:22pm

I was BF Mabel for the first time when my MW told me in no uncertain terms "PELVIC FLOOR!!!!.......AND..........THE PILL!!!!!!" 8o

We didn't use anything, if you are going to BF you can't go on the pill only the mini pill, I couldn't have the coil because I have PCOS so as we felt it would be a blessing if we did get pg then we just didn't bother, and now we have another one on the way! couldn't be happier! ;)

ZIG

Ace

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 10:53pm

After years and years of trying and various things wrong with both of us (poor sperm quantity and quality, endo, poss early menopause, lumpy tubes) we thought we could only ever get pg again with ICSI. WRONG!!!!! We were hardly ever having sex either due to Bella's sleeping habits and us being so knackered (a once a month shag was good going!), but here we are at week 33 of a natural pg.
DH wants another 2 but I'm going to get a coil fitted asap!
Zig x
Me 38, DH 44. 2002-2004 2x ICSI's, 1x egg donation. Changed clinics for own eggs ICSI/tx no.4 - BFP 27/4/05! Mummy to Isabella after early c-section 15/12/05, due to LLP. Baby No.2 (huge 'natural' surprise!) Ruby Olivia arrived 29/09/07 via emergency c-section.

Friday, August 10th 2007, 3:36pm

Hi Ladies
Thanks for the advice. I prob won't take the pill cos of my BP issues. I think condoms for 6 months then see how we go. I just wondered with my body already knowing what to do whether that would have an effect, although the issues are with my DH.
Either way I am going back to reflexology to hopefully keep my cycle sorted.

Caz xxx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, August 10th 2007, 4:04pm

My HV brought us some condoms round when she did the first visit. She was more embarrassed about the subject than I was.

I have to say that we are finding having a baby is a very effective method of contraception indeed!

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Monday, August 13th 2007, 3:24pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Chilli
"PELVIC FLOOR!!!!.......

As soon as I saw these words, I instinctively did the exercise. It was a reflex action!! 8o 8o

KIRSTY G

Monday, August 13th 2007, 3:27pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Limpet

Quoted

Originally posted by Chilli
"PELVIC FLOOR!!!!.......

As soon as I saw these words, I instinctively did the exercise. It was a reflex action!! 8o 8o

Me too ;)

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Monday, August 13th 2007, 3:33pm

i was thinking about it too tbh....

i was thinking of having the norrmal coil fitted as dh feels no urge to have any more children...but i am only 29 so i will respect his wishes of cause but if he were to change his mind then i would be ok to try again...

i cant have the pill because i am fat. the mirena coil sent my hormones barmy and i had more cysts than ever when i had it fitted...and i think condoms are erm.........like chewing a toffee with the wrapper on, so i think the coil would be best for us...

can you tell i am trying to convince myself still?? lol! :D

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Monday, August 13th 2007, 5:58pm

we've discussed this and as we'll be more than happy with wee ones its off for the snip for Mr Rivka a short while after number two arrives. Totally agree with Willow's description of condoms, don't want to take the pill and don't like the idea of the coil, s'not for me. so off he can go.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rivka" (Aug 13th 2007, 5:59pm)

Reg: Feb 11th 2007

Children: My children are wonderful!

Monday, August 13th 2007, 6:02pm

maybe i shouldn't post here but I was just wandering around. Shouldn't say this but gonna anyway, please think carefully about these decisions, you don't know what lies around the corner and though you can't live your life expecting the worst it does happen sometimes. Sorry if I have upset anyone and wouldn't dream of telling someone what to do but just felt I had to mention it.

Me 39, DH 40 Children, Lucy and DS (7)
Lucy lost in car accident 8th April 2002
TTC 6 years - ICSI x 4 - :BFN: x 4

Spider's Diary

Rivka

Monday, August 13th 2007, 6:08pm

Its a valid point Spider and thanks for bringing it up. No upset caused here, you're quite right you just don't know whats around the corner. For us this is the right thing, doesn't make it so for everyone xxx

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, August 13th 2007, 7:15pm

I think I shall just every so often scream out PELVIC FLOOR on the odd thread so we all get it in to our heads how important it is! ;)

Spider I agree with you totally!

I think I will go back on the pill, it suits me I lose weight when I am on it, DH is too young to have the snip only just about to turn 30 and I am not omfortable with that anyway .....neither is he oddly enough :rolleyes:

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Monday, August 13th 2007, 7:18pm

my dh winces and crosses his legs...and im sure he mutters swear words at me when i mention the snip so that wont happen in our house either i dont think :D

x

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Rivka

Monday, August 13th 2007, 7:41pm

I feel that I've been a bit insensitive posting what I did so just want to apologise to anyone I might have upset or offended. sorry x

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, August 13th 2007, 7:49pm

Rivka - WHAT? don't be silly we only haven't considered it as I feel DH is too young xx

Reg: Feb 11th 2007

Children: My children are wonderful!

Tuesday, August 14th 2007, 4:06pm

Rivka, I have pmed you, please don't feel you should not have posted. This is one of the most important things about FZ, we feel able to ask questions and sort of 'think through issues' online with people whose responses we value.
Julie

Me 39, DH 40 Children, Lucy and DS (7)
Lucy lost in car accident 8th April 2002
TTC 6 years - ICSI x 4 - :BFN: x 4

Spider's Diary

Wednesday, August 15th 2007, 5:39am

Rivka - I havent posted here, but have posted something similar on a different thread.

I am also in the same "space" as you.

After 2 c-sections I am not allowed to give birth again for at least another 2 years, and there is the danger of a ruptured placenta, death of baby or me, or a hysterectomy if I get pregnant again.

Personally I also dont think I can go through a 3rd emergency delivery.

I am utterly grateful for my 2 darling children.

But.... I will be 34 this year, DH is 35 already. 2 more years is 2 more years older.

I'm allergic to most condoms, I dont want to take the pill or any hormonal contraceptive because of my depression issues.... a vasectomy really is the only long term solution for us.

Everybody's situation is different though.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE