You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Monday, February 9th 2009, 6:36pm

If it was cholestasis, the cream may reduce the itching for a very short while, but it won't stop it. If you've had effective relief from the moisturising cream then I wouldn't worry., But if it gets worse , the cream begins to have no effect,( particularly if you have the "classic" areas of itching on hands and feet),or you have intense allover itching then don't ignore it- go and get your bloods checked.
x

Reg: Aug 9th 2008

Tuesday, February 10th 2009, 9:19am

The only way to know for certain if it is OC or not is to have the bile acids checked, there are lots of theories on OC and some medical proffesionals dont believe it truely exists, there are also many different opinions regarding what to do if it is diagnosed, where I am, if the bile acids are above 14 they are rechecked, should they remain elevated then the woman attends the ANDU for weekly (sometimes twice weekly) monitoring of baby and bloods, medication is commenced and induction of labour is arranged at 37 weeks, women are advised to keep a close eye on movements and attend hospital if they are reduced at all. We take many many blood tests that turn out ok and most women seem to see some relief from itching when they know it is not OC. GP will give you Piriton to stop itching and creams other than that there is not much anyone can do.

Ginger74

Superstar

Germany

Reg: Aug 7th 2008

Children: It's a girl!

Saturday, September 19th 2009, 2:52am

I have crazy itching for last couple of weeks, did blood tests (twice) and both times they are clear, can't sleep and find the whole thing is so tiring and hard, I am having C-section in less than a week (baby is breech) so I guess all what I can do is to wait. Can blood tests not to show OC?

Feb 09 God's Miracle - Natural BFP.
Sept 09 Thanks to God - Scrumptious baby girl is here. Please grow healthy and happy.

Michelle

• "Michelle" started this thread

Saturday, September 19th 2009, 8:18am

If they've done a bile salts tests for OC which was clear then i wouldn't worry. You dont have long to go now anyway, so whatevere the cause of your itching is, it will be gone soon.

How exciting that you're meeting your baby in just a few days!!
xx

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Ginger74

Superstar

Germany

Saturday, September 19th 2009, 11:06am

yes I came to hospital and said that I want to be checked for OC (so I presume they checked these bile salts, I guess they are doctors not me so they know what to check but I told them that I am worried it can be this/OC and asked this to be checked....), they did it once and suggested to repeat it in few days, both times it was okay/fine, but GOD - this itching is killing me :bawl: honestly these weeks are hardest in the whole pregnancy from physical point of view! Accordingly to my DR itching is common in the end of pregnancy.................. :bawl: ah don't know.... what is this in this case? hormones? oh.....
Michelle, thank you so much for your answer, yes it's exciting and scary in the same time (c-section etc) but now I can't wait and partly because of itching! :snigger:

Sept 09 Thanks to God - Scrumptious baby girl is here. Please grow healthy and happy.

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Saturday, September 19th 2009, 5:01pm

I was diagnosed with OC at 37 weeks so was itching like a mad woman, fortunately I only had bad itching for a week then I went into labour. I was told by my MW after I had my DD that I could have used calamine lotion to ease the itching. Also cold moisturiser helps and baths with oatmeal in them.

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Reg: Apr 19th 2009

Children: 1 long awaited baby girl through IVF

Saturday, September 19th 2009, 5:19pm

I have been having this problem for about 6 weeks and my consultant said if there is a rash there is not usually anything to worry about - although they never 100% know what causes the itching. Its usually a hormone reaction and nothing that will harm the baby - just so annoying for mum!

I have been given a mild steroid ointment and some antihistamines and they seem to be working - thank godness!
MITZYMOO

IVF #1 - April 09 - test 25.4.09 :BFP:

bab21

Ginger74

Superstar

Germany

Monday, September 28th 2009, 2:21pm

I just wanted to tell everybody that few days later after my post I had c-section (which resulted in gorgeous baby girl) and my itching has stopped immediately. I find it SOOOO strange but it's true, the same day - nothing (and I was truly in agony before)! Maybe this will help somebody! Thank you very much for your messages and support!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE