You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "sammc" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, August 14th 2006, 9:38am

Rhesus negative

Hi all,

Just got back from my "history taking" at the hospital and found out I am O-. Really worried as I got straight back and did an internet search and its shown up all sorts of horrible things that can go wrong! I have my 16 week check with the midwife at my GP's tomorrow so will ask more but in the meantime can anyone put my mind at rest?

I know I have to have an anti D injection at 26 or 28 weeks but can nothing be done before then?

worry worry worry!

Sam
TTC since Jan 2003. DP & Me 34.
Unexplained infertility. 6 months clomid. Hycosy. 4 attempts with insem on NHS.
1st attempt at IVF/ICSI 2 embryos transfered 11th May
Unbelievable BFP 24th May
We have one baby jellybean on board!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, August 14th 2006, 10:33am

I too had this Sam and Dh was + but there is nothing that csn be done lots of people I know have had the same although I was convinced it was really rare!

Anyway the jabs are ok, once your baby is born then they will test their blood too to see whos blood they have taken. DD is + like DH.

Monday, August 14th 2006, 10:34am

Yes - I had anti d jabs too!!!

x
PCOS. Ovarian drilling October 2005
Amazing BFP January 2006!!!!!!!!!!
2nd BFP natural!!!! - due Dec 2008!

[/url[url=http://tickers.families.com]

Saz

Monday, August 14th 2006, 12:30pm

I am O- too. However, didn't need anti D cos DH id Rhesus negative too.

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Monday, August 14th 2006, 2:07pm

Hi sam- try not to worry, the risks of probs occuring are possible, but very low. If dh is rhneg, then there is no prob as bubs will be neg too. The prob occurs if dh is pos, as there is a chance that bubs will be pos, and therefore has "foreign" antibodies which your body may not recognise. this is only a prob if some maternal blood and fetal blood "mix" ie in the event of some sort of bleed. in this case you may start to "reject" the fetus. Anti d is given as precaution in pg to "coat" the foreign antibodies to stop them being rejected by your body.

Antid is also given after del to protect future pgs, if the baby is known to be neg. (blood will be taken from the placenta and from you to confirm bubs blood group). If the baby was neg Anti d is not given after del as your body will not have developed any antibodies against it.

Does that make ANY sense???

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rose" (Aug 14th 2006, 2:09pm)

Monday, August 14th 2006, 2:47pm

Thanks all. DP is A+ so not a good sign. I keep hoping they have messed up my blood test results as I've always thought I was O+.

From what I've read I only need worry if I start bleeding or if my bump gets knocked which could cause bleeding. I think the biggest concern is that future pregnancies could be harmed if I don't have the anti d meds.

Why can't life be simple? Felt very sorry for bubs and me this morning and even blamed my mum for making me rhesus negative!

Reg: Dec 23rd 2005

Monday, August 14th 2006, 8:14pm

Definitely do not fear, Mads is O- and I am +, she has had 3 Anti D injections and so far we have had no difficulties whatsoever and she is about to give birth..literally!!

The first time she had it was when she had a bleed, the only concern is if the bub is exposed to your blood as if it is +, then the antibodies in your blood will attack...

So noting to worry about, if you have a blleed before your 1st Anti D, dont worry, just go and ask for the anti d early...

Try not to worry too much about it...which is difficult I know...

best of luck
Male Factor - Bilateral Absence of Vas Deferens

IRISH

• "IRISH" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jul 15th 2006

Tuesday, August 15th 2006, 9:28am

as long as staff are aware of this there will be no problem...i am + but i carry antibodies...at the end of my pg i felt like a pincushion they had took that much blood outta me 8o
are you getting lots of samples taken too?

Tuesday, August 15th 2006, 11:52am

Thanks for all your wonderful advice (and Andy, thanks for taking the time to reply at this busy time!)

Whew, much more relaxed about it all today. Saw a lovely midwife at my gp's who said nothing to worry about. Bloods currently show no antibodies so unless I start bleeding I'll have the anti d jab at 26-28 weeks. They'll also take blood at regular intervals later in the pregnancy. Hey, whats another needle - bring it on!

Also got to hear bubba's heartbeat which sounded like a galloping horse - very cute :D

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, August 15th 2006, 1:49pm

yey- thats good news!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE