You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Sunshine" started this thread

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Sunday, August 13th 2006, 11:54am

Breastfeeding

Ladies,
now's the time to start thinking about breastfeeding.
Will you wont you might you shallnt you?
Personally, I'd say, give it a go if you can. I am so glad I made it through the struggle, and for me it was a struggle, but I made it to 6 months when at one stage I thought I wouldnt last an hour longer!
So, I'm offering my help and advice either through PMs or on the breastfeeding forum - I dont often visit this 3rd trimester section (as you'll find out, you get too busy quite quickly!).
Also, I would suggest you start a "breastfeeding diary" on that forum as well.
State up front on your first thread what your thoughts and goals and aims are, particularly if you have any allergies in your family, your reasons for wanting to breastfeed and how long you want to breastfeed for.
Then during the tough times you can read your earlier posts to remind yourself of why you are doing this, and how far you have already come.

Remember - you dont have to be alone! :D

IRISH

• "IRISH" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jul 15th 2006

Sunday, August 13th 2006, 1:03pm

aww well done sunshine, i would also recommend bf for as long as you can. i expressed with joe for 17 weeks, well worth the effort :D

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Children: Connor 8, Freya 4, Harri and Rhys 3

Sunday, August 13th 2006, 4:14pm

I will be giving it a go, I breastfed Connor for 12 months, I had my ups and downs, but its so worth it. Until I stopped bf I didint realise how close I was to Connor, I stopped because of quite selfish reasons.....wanting to drink, wanting my body back and ttc. A few days after stopping I missed it so much, I tried to start again, but it just wasn't to be. But I am glad I did it and I am glad of the special bond I had whilst bf.

The only advise I would give is do it for as long as possible, don't feel guilty if its only a few days, weeks or even a month, apart from all good things the midwife and health visitor tell you, that bond you have with your baby is so special and thats one of the things that I am so looking forward to having when Freya is born.

Karenxx

3 Baby Angels

Reg: Dec 23rd 2005

Sunday, August 13th 2006, 7:20pm

im not planning on breastfeeding :D

But DW is definitely going to give it a go, infact, she feels she would be failing as a woman if it didnt work...which is a bit of a concern...but c'est la vie.

My advice to her is, if it doesnt work straight off, the odd bottle of formula never hurt anyone!!
Male Factor - Bilateral Absence of Vas Deferens

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Sunday, August 13th 2006, 7:32pm

I did it for the firstr two weeks or so andy then did both for 8 ish weeks

so did beth. xx
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Reg: Dec 23rd 2005

Sunday, August 13th 2006, 7:45pm

Quoted

I did it for the firstr two weeks or so andy then did both for 8 ish weeks

Bottle fed for first two weeks or Breast fed for the first two weeks?
Male Factor - Bilateral Absence of Vas Deferens

Sunday, August 13th 2006, 7:59pm

Breast fed for first two weeks, then did both. xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Sunday, August 13th 2006, 8:44pm

Such a good idea Sun. It hasn't always been easy for me either - DD had tummy problems aswell which was hard as I had to cut out some fav food! but I got to about 6 weeks I think and it was fine, by 10 weeks I was so thankful i kept going as I realised how convienient BF is - once you crack it!

Monday, August 14th 2006, 4:18am

Quoted

Originally posted by Clare
Breast fed for first two weeks, then did both. xxx

but that's because you had twins, which really is a special challenge - I dont know about you Clare, but now that I have been blessed with a child I laugh when I see people praying for twins! :D I can understand why as I used to, but if I am ever blessed with conceiving a 2nd time then I will be praying for NOT twins ;) :D

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Monday, August 14th 2006, 9:35am

i am going to try and mix it up a bit. breast feed and see how the expressing goes - i didnt have much success last time with expressing ... if i turn to Formula i certainly wont feel guilty for it.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, August 14th 2006, 10:17am

Thats the thing Kizzy, I know I will feel really guilty if I don't succeed at breastfeeding. It worries me as I don't want to put myself under any pressure but my bodys designed for it and I feel as if I SHOULD be able to do it.

Monday, August 14th 2006, 10:23am

i know its hard not to - but if you give B/f your best shot and find its not working, your stressing out, cant express, cant leave the feeding to anyone else - and turn to formula - it doesnt make you a bad mother.

Formula milks are very good too now.

a Happy Mummy = a Happy Baby imho.

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, August 14th 2006, 10:25am

Mrs J - I feel the pressure too re breast feeding - I want to do it so badly that I worry that I'll feel a failure if I don't. I feel similarly about certain aspects of the birth too.
PCOS. Ovarian drilling October 2005
Amazing BFP January 2006!!!!!!!!!!
2nd BFP natural!!!! - due Dec 2008!

[/url[url=http://tickers.families.com]

Monday, August 14th 2006, 10:26am

Sunshine, your right it was because i had two and it was just so hard i never slept!! I take my hat off to anyone who exclusively breast feeds twins!! I would have twins again, its not difficult really i love every minute of it.....even now when s is attacking the lap top and b is trying to pull the fire off the wall lol :D
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Monday, August 14th 2006, 12:00pm

I have to say, a happy mummy = a happy baby isnt something I personally (and this is just me) like to say.

Feeding a baby formula because you are tired simply isnt the answer in my book because you still have to be up to feed the baby but this time instead of opening up your bra and feeding your baby, you have to have a sterile bottle, make the formula, feed the baby and wash & sterilise the bottles - it really is not easier than breastfeeding.

I think if you do turn to formula it is with all the right reasons and fully informed.

Having seen the life-threatening allergic reaction DS had to a bottle of normal formula at 6+ months old I am desparately glad I didnt try formula with him when he was any younger! Also when DS was in hospital for his allergies being exclusively bf meant it was easy to rule out the easy option of "oh he is allergic to formula" and having seen a 4 week old premmie come in with deep bruises over her absolutely tiny body because she was allergic it made me even more determined to breast feed.

That said, breast feeding really IS NOT a competition as to who can endure the longest - it really isnt!

I had an absolute nightmare of a baby - he loves watching the world and we literally have to hide when I feed him, which meant that going out wasnt easy.

I found that whilst I get intimidated by mums that said "oh I fed DD/DS until they were X years old" ! I am very proud of myself for reaching my own, personally imposed, target of 6 months.

I wanted to reach 6 months. So I did. Even on the days when I really really wanted it to end right there & then, I kept going. And every day gets a little bit easier.

AP / MrsJ - you will find yourself as a mother feeling guilty for anything and everything, so my best advice is "go with the flow". Give bf a try. And if you struggle - ASK for help! Help is out there, it really is, and if not in real life, certainly here and on many other forums!

Monday, August 14th 2006, 12:14pm

i am prepared for both - i have boobs at the ready and i have a formula ready in the cuboard. i might be the only one, but i wont lose any sleep in using formula.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "kizzy" (Aug 14th 2006, 12:34pm)

Monday, August 14th 2006, 12:26pm

kizzy - I'm not going to argue with you because I assume you are fully informed and can make such a decision and you have been there already so know what your limits are.

however, as a first time mum I would personally really advise if one is determined to breast feed against buying in formula because it is so easy at the time of complete sleep deprivation to think one bottle of formula wont hurt and one becomes two etc and soon you arent breast feeding, that it is better for you to have to actively go out and buy formula if it truly is necessary than having it so easily available.

that's also why I advise writing a diary in the breast feeding section, and stating up front what your aims and wishes are.

if you're (one is) not that bothered about breast feeding and have read all the pros and cons and still decide it isnt for you or your baby, then you (one) know where you (one) stand.

again, it is personal, but I personally feel that there is a world of difference between "cant breast feed" and "dont want to breast feed". the first is where you have tried and for one reason or another it isnt working. you've tried your best, so dont give yourself a hard time. personally I would have given myself a hard time if I hadnt tried and didnt at least try to breast feed (even though I wasnt keen for personal / selfish reasons) because it simply is the best thing for your child. I didnt want to give up alcohol when I became pregnant but I did because it was best for my child - I view breast feeding the same way. I'll never be a hippy happy booby toting earth mother, but I tried my damndest to give my child the best start in life that I could.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE