Unread posts

NattyNik

• "NattyNik" started this thread

Reg: Feb 7th 2009

Children: Shrewsbury

Tuesday, September 1st 2009, 12:51pm

Worried after 20 week scan - baby measuring small

Hi everyone

Had our 20 week scan yesterday (at 20+5) and our baby is measuring small. She didn't say by exactly how much but did write in my notes that she's growing on the 3rd percentile.

Everything else was fine and she said there's no glaringly obvious reason at this stage why baby is measuring small. All measurments are in proportion to each other and the amount of amniotic fluid is fine, which are obviously both positives.

We've been referred for another scan next week and to see a consultant (am already consultant led anyway). She said that baby might have a growth spurt in the next 1 or 2 weeks or may just be a small baby but that they'll have to keep a close eye on us and make sure her growth doesn't drop out of the normal range altogether.

I was a bit annoyed that she got us all panicked and then just sends us home to worry for 10 days. Luckily we're seeing MW on Wednesday anyway so we'll have a good chat to her about it.

I also feel like I have to double check everything they say/write down because they ALWAYS seem to get things wrong. There are 3 places in my notes where the gestational age at scans or my dates are written down incorrectly and on numerous occasions I've had to correct them when they've written down measurments/dates etc. It makes me so angry that they can't even do simple calculations. Even yesterday she wrote something down wrong and also worked out the measurments wrong at first - I went out to the toilet and hubby said they were faffing around and realised they'd done it wrong - at first they thought she was completely out of the 'normal range'!

This was our 10th scan and this isn't the first one where she's been measuring small - on a few occasions the CRL was below average. It's just they don't really take any notice until the 20 week scan.

I don't know how concerned I should be....but how can I not be? After everything we've been through to get here all I wanted was an easy pregnancy and now I'm so scared that it's all going to be taken away again.

Has this happened to anyone else and everything been ok?

Thanks, NN 20+6 xxx
3 Precious Angels - 16/07/08 - 18/10/08 - 08/01/09 - Forever Loved

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Tuesday, September 1st 2009, 7:29pm

RE: Worried after 20 week scan - baby measuring small

Hi NN, Sorry to hear your scan has got you worried. Maybe I'm oldfashioned, but I'm not a great fan of percentiles either before or after birth. As they say, all the measurements are in proportion and the volume of amniotic fluid looks normal. So try not to worry. You'll be seeing your consultant soon, so you should be able to get some answers. Your u/s dept doesn't sound great though, does it ! Some babies are naturally smaller than others - it doesn't mean there's anything wrong. My niece was 4lbs 15ozs when she was born at term -- she's now at university doing a degree in law and languages.
I know it's easy to say, but please try not to worry.

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Wednesday, September 2nd 2009, 11:02am

I agree with Chris, babies grow at their own rates and the dates are based on size alone rather than development. Also the parents stature doesn't seem to be taken into consideration so if you or DH are small or shorter than average then you are more likely to have a smaller baby.

Sometimes I think that modern technology has made the whole thing more stressful, sure it's great when everything comes back fine but if you don't meet the "average" then it causes upset.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Grace" (Sep 2nd 2009, 11:02am)

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Wednesday, September 2nd 2009, 8:16pm

You're right Grace, technology can be a great thing but it does often cause unnecessary worry for many mums.

Jodie

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Wednesday, September 2nd 2009, 10:43pm

Evening. No advice but just wanted to send you a hug at what must be a worrying time and say that I hope the next scan gives you some reassurance.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Reg: Apr 16th 2008

Children: One miracle growing big in my belly :-)

Wednesday, September 2nd 2009, 11:08pm

I had a little scare at my u/s a couple weeks ago when the baby was measuring a week behind according to my lmp. my doctor said as long as the baby is consistently growing,and the amniotic fluid is fine, then it most likely means you will just have a smaller baby.
Me24 DH26
TTC 2 year

one little angel in heaven xoxoxo

May 09' Natural- :BFP:
Its a BOY baby7

NattyNik

• "NattyNik" started this thread

Reg: Feb 7th 2009

Children: Shrewsbury

Sunday, September 6th 2009, 1:31pm

Thank you so much to all of you for your replies. I really appreciate your input and support. I too sometimes wonder about all this technology these days...

Just waiting for Thursday to come around now...some days I don't worry too much and then other times I can't get it out of my head.

I am also wondering if it has anything to do with the anti-depressants that I've recently come off - will defintiely ask the consultant.

NN xxx
3 Precious Angels - 16/07/08 - 18/10/08 - 08/01/09 - Forever Loved

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE