Unread posts

Ros

Megastar

• "Ros" started this thread

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 2:13pm

birthing query from my sister

Hello, my sis is nearly 32 weeks and it has just occurred to her that she's going to ahve to give birth soon. She will be at Watford hospital.

However she doesn't know whether to choose:
a) the hospital maternity unit, 4 ladies to a room with shared bathroom
OR
b) the Alexandra Birthing Centre (ABC) which is attached to the hospital. Ladies get their en suite own room in here apparently.

It may sound like an easy decision but she is thinking the hospital would be better as there is no chance of an epidural in the ABC and she is terrified she may need one. She also doesn't want to be moved mid-labour if something serious happens (they move people to the hospital if things aren't going to plan). Her DH wants her to go for the ABC though ...

What do you all think? Does anyone have experience of Watford? She asked me to ask you all.

Thank you x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Jodie

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 10:08pm

Hi Ros!

If it was me I would just want to be where I felt the most comfortable and confident. For me personally that would be in a hospital but I had a rough first birth experience and that has maybe tainted my views! I think if I was adament that I didn't want to move mid labour then I would go where I knew I wouldn't have to, however labour progressed. But its SUCH a personal decision and individual for everyone I think!

Is there any particular reason why her DH is keen for her to be at the ABC? I think I'd be inclined to discuss it with my DH but then essentially make the decision based on what I thought my needs would be/might be and how felt about it all (sounds selfish but she'll be the one doing the work!).

x

PS The maternity unit at her hospital sounds fab. Mine was 3 wards with 18 beds and 2 bathrooms between us all!

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Ros

Megastar

• "Ros" started this thread

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 10:27pm

Thanks for your opinion Jodie, I will pass on your views. I've recommended she talks to friends/ colleagues who have actually given birth. She has only just started NCT/ NHS classes so it's all rather worrying her this week.

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE