Unread posts

mrsjasper

Megastar

• "mrsjasper" started this thread

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, August 21st 2006, 1:54pm

TENS machine

On holiday from work next week so my project is to arrange a TENS machine to hire. I thought I'd start a thread on the subject.
Who's got one? Who's used one? Do they work? What brand did you use? Any tips to help it work better?
Mothercare & Boots do them for about £30 for 3 weeks witht the option to extend by 2 weeks for free.

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Monday, August 21st 2006, 2:04pm

I've never used one personally,but I've looked after people that have, and there's been mixed responses. I think they work well in early labour, ie maybe when still at home or when mobilizing at the hospital. I know some people have found them really useful in conjunction with enetenox an dhave not needed anything else.
Others have found it not that helpful once established labour kicks in.

xx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, August 21st 2006, 2:10pm

Thats what I've heard Nikki. I am hoping to stay at home for the early part of labour which is when TENS is supposed to help most. Also it gives DH a machine he can play with which will help him feel involved :rolleyes:.
I think if it works its money well spent, but if not, well its only £30, I can afford it (I can now anyway, can't once I'm a mummy and not working!).

Rose

Star

Monday, August 21st 2006, 2:12pm

A friend of mine had a baby a couple of weeks ago, weighing 10ib 2oz, and managed on just TENS and entenox.......
her dh's job was to press the TENS button everytime she shouted NOW!!!!!
(now thats teamwork!) :D

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, August 21st 2006, 2:19pm

Well done for this thread Mrs J. I was going to wait and see what they said at NCT on Thursday. I think I'll try it!
PCOS. Ovarian drilling October 2005
Amazing BFP January 2006!!!!!!!!!!
2nd BFP natural!!!! - due Dec 2008!

[/url[url=http://tickers.families.com]

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Monday, August 21st 2006, 2:49pm

the midwife at my classes recommend them .. i am thinking about it myself. would love to hear from someone who has actually used one though.

Why dont they give you one while ur in labour at the hospital if they are helpful ?

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Monday, August 21st 2006, 3:07pm

I wa told they go missing from the wards & also if you have your own if there is a problem with it it's not up to them to sort out!

Liability & all that stuff X(

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, August 21st 2006, 3:08pm

Quoted

Originally posted by kizzy
the midwife at my classes recommend them .. i am thinking about it myself. would love to hear from someone who has actually used one though.

Why dont they give you one while ur in labour at the hospital if they are helpful ?

Money Kizzy! Be grateful they give you a cup of tea afterwards (and NHS tea is awful!)

Rose

Star

Monday, August 21st 2006, 3:34pm

yep- all down to money i' m afraid!!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, August 21st 2006, 4:38pm

They need to be used early in labour to have any effect. The impulses are supposed to re-direct the electrical impulses which send pain signals to your brain.

I used one with DD1 and wore it for several hours. I wasn't quite sure if it was doing anything or not but I kept it on and pressed the buttons at the right time. It was something to do and felt mildly soothing. Eventually the once soothing vibrations turned into horrible gripping sensations which pulsed and buzzed. They weren't strong enough to touch the pain, they were just another irritatation on top of already painful contractions. It annoyed the hell out of me but then I'm quite easily annoyed anyway :D

I would say try it...... try it and if you don't like it then you've lost thirty quid... try it and find that you love it and it will be the best thirty quid you ever spent.

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Monday, August 21st 2006, 8:37pm

I managed to get hold of one of the hospital ones, and it was the only one they had! To then find out that th button didnt work, so I had to crank it up manually when a contraction came along!

I found I started off on about a number 1 then was on the maximum before it got too annoying and wasnt working so I just ripped it off my back and gave it to DP :rolleyes:

I dont know also whether it did any good, but I would defo try it again if I had the chance and to get one that works! :rolleyes:

Jessica x x

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Children: Connor 8, Freya 4, Harri and Rhys 3

Tuesday, August 22nd 2006, 11:21am

I must be lucky, my midwife will supply me with one at 37 weeks!!!!

I didn't get chance to use on last time as I had a complicated Labour and the hospital staff took over!! (hence want home birth)

Karenxx

3 Baby Angels

Rose

Star

Tuesday, August 22nd 2006, 8:29pm

wow- how lucky are you!!!(bet you live in a posh area!!!! :D)

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Children: Connor 8, Freya 4, Harri and Rhys 3

Wednesday, August 23rd 2006, 5:04pm

Nikki,

There is nothing posh about where I live!!!! Maybe its because there is more sheep around than humans and they don't ask for a tens!! :P

I work for the NHS in Wales and I am gobsmacked that they have the money for tens machines, but no money for anything else related to pt care!!

Karenxx

3 Baby Angels

Rose

Star

Thursday, August 24th 2006, 12:37pm

Tee Hee!!!

Thursday, August 24th 2006, 1:24pm

I think it depends on how quick you go into labour. My second ds was 10lb 2.5oz and I know a tens machine wouldn't have made an oz of difference as the labour only took 3.5 hours from beginning to end.

I suppose if you start at home then it would be a welcome distraction, but I know from experience that when my contractions start - GIVE ME THE GAS'n'AIR!!!!!!! (I have been induced twice though, never been lucky enough to have a slow relaxed lead up)
LR
Me 32, hypothyroid,
I have 2 beautiful boys 8 & 6, and one beautiful girl
1st ICSI - 15 eggs - Oct 05 - BFN
2nd ICSI - 22 eggs - egg sharer -Feb 2006 - BFN
I'm a single parent.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Giggles" (Aug 24th 2006, 1:24pm)

Thursday, August 24th 2006, 7:32pm

I'm picking mine up from Boots at weekend!!
PCOS. Ovarian drilling October 2005
Amazing BFP January 2006!!!!!!!!!!
2nd BFP natural!!!! - due Dec 2008!

[/url[url=http://tickers.families.com]

mrsjasper

Megastar

Friday, August 25th 2006, 8:33am

What did the midwife say then Andy?

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, July 14th 2008, 8:26am

Bumping this up for Olo.
My tens machine was great in early labour. I would definitely recommend one. I was induced and I put it on quite early on in the proceedings and gradually increased the intensity of it. It was a Boots one and I found it easy to use. I would get one again if I have another baby.

Reg: Dec 6th 2006

Children: 1 little boy

Monday, July 14th 2008, 12:39pm

thanks mrs j

TTC#1 4y
:BFP: 04/09 M/C

Lap 06 endo + scar tissue
Lap 08/07 laser of endo + adhesions

:BFP: 12/07 baby7Lucas born 11/09/08
Now TTC#2 since aug 09(please dont mention on fb)

Reg: Aug 13th 2007

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 8:07pm

Tens machines

Has any body got experince of using these. DW would like me to get one for her but i am really confused by all the choice. Please can someone point me in the right direction so that i make the right choice...

Reg: Aug 13th 2007

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 8:11pm

RE: Tens machines

oops, just saw the thread on the third trimester.....

(edit) thanks for moving my post, i didn't realise before i replied

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "sharpiejas" (Aug 10th 2008, 8:16pm)

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 8:21pm

no problem :D

Reg: Dec 6th 2006

Children: 1 little boy

Sunday, August 10th 2008, 8:50pm

i am going to hire one and can get them from boots and mothercare and other places, we have decieded to hire ours from tescos.

x

TTC#1 4y
:BFP: 04/09 M/C

Lap 06 endo + scar tissue
Lap 08/07 laser of endo + adhesions

:BFP: 12/07 baby7Lucas born 11/09/08
Now TTC#2 since aug 09(please dont mention on fb)

Reg: Jul 17th 2006

Thursday, August 14th 2008, 9:11pm

i used one.....put it on too late....(after 6hrs of contractions - didnt realise i was in labour :rolleyes:) tbh cant say if it was any good....didnt compare contractions with it on and with it off...but during the "pushing bit" didnt feel it at all and forgot i had it on...once the baby was born felt a weird buzzing in my back and soon remembered - the buzzing at that time was unbearable but i couldnt feel it buzzing towards the end...so i guess it did something....

*next baby* will get one again and put it on asap.....so i am a return customer!

got mine by post from boots...
Peppermint Patty

Me 29 - DH 34
PCOS & Male Factor
TTC 2yrs
3 x Clomid - 3 x BFN
Ovarian Drilling Nov 06
ICSI March 07 - BFP 4/4/7- OHSS - All Gone 12/4/7
ICSI Aug 07 - DR July 13th - Shock NATURAL BFP 25th July 07! - baby boy march 08
May 09 - VERY SHOCKING NATURAL BFP!!!! - Baby Girl Jan 10

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 6:54pm

I've been given a TENS machine but need to buy new electrodes for it - which is confusing me :innocent:

Can I buy ones for any TENS machine or are they particular to the brand/make? How many will I need?
Are they all self-adhesive or do some need a kind of 'skin preparation' lotion to make them adhesive?

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Rose

Star

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 7:32pm

You normally have four electrodes, they go in pairs, one set just above your buttocks, and the other set a bit higher, more sort of kidney kind of level.
I would lie to think that one sort would fit all, but in the way of the world of retailing you may well have to get the specific brand one. Best check with the manufacturer.
They (Ithink ) have a self adhesive sticky stuff- just peel off the backing and stick em on.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 14th 2009, 10:01pm

Thank you - I might phone the company's helpline tomorrow before ordering. Can't see what I'd do with them if I got the wrong ones :snigger:

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Reg: Jul 24th 2008

Children: 2 Daughters - we have been blessed!

Thursday, January 15th 2009, 11:02pm

I used a hospital TENS machine last time round - fell asleep with it on!!

Me 34 DH 29

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans

1st IUI 9th Aug 08
BFP :smile:

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful baby girl, our little miracle!

Friday, April 3rd 2009, 3:09pm

Tens Machine

I get pregnancy emails through and its saying that I should be hiring a tens machine about now. Now I know you don't have to have noe but would you? Have you?

I don't know that I'm definitely going to need one so should I hire one or not?

mrsjasper

Megastar

Sunday, April 5th 2009, 9:19pm

I've just got mine from Boots again. Had a little look at it and its exactly the same as last time. Unfortunately my brain has fallen out since then and I can't remember what to do with it but it was easy enough last time!

Picklesmum, I suppose it would depend on what it costs and whether thats a significant amount of maney for you. For me it worked really well last time in early labour, so I'm happy to try it again for the £30 it costs me. If its no good well I use the Boots advantage points on something nice for me anyway so its not completely wasted money!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE