You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "HOPE!!!!!!!!" started this thread

Reg: May 15th 2010

Tuesday, March 10th 2009, 10:43pm

39 weeks and head not engaged

Hi everyone

Had an appointment at hospital today and was told baby's head has not engaged and is still "free". I have to go back on Tuesday and I will have a scan to check the cord is not blocking the cervix - if that's the case I will be booked in for a section. Midwife told me it could also mean my pelvis is too small or it could even engage before then.

I have now been googling about cords blocking the cervix and have scared myself by coming across cord prolapse........which is highly dangerous for baby.

Does anyone have any experience of head not being engaged at this point? I am tempted to call hospital tomorrow to ask for a scan asap as I just know I'm gonna worry myself til Tuesday now. What do you think - am I panicing for nowt???

Thanks for reading

Claire
xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, March 10th 2009, 11:19pm

Don't panic!!!!!

There's still time. I presume your baby is head down and just resisting sinking down into the pelvis for the moment? It can happen during labour so there's still plenty of scope for change yet. First babies tend to engage (but not always) while subsequent babies can float around until labour without problem.

It sounds a bit dramatic for your midwife to suggest a section or throw those reasons at you. Try not to worry and STEP AWAY FROM GOOGLE!! Your scan will hopefully reassure you and if there 'is' anything blocking your baby's exit then you'll know and it will be rectified. It's unlikley.... so do try not to fret too much.

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, March 10th 2009, 11:19pm

I had this with my DD2 she was all over the place, and didn't actually engage till I was in labour nobody was really sure which way she was coming out! But she was my second and that can be fairly common. We had the prolapse warning aswell as she was footling breech for a while, I stayed in hospital over night but was sent home the next day.

Have you looked at doing some excerises to help? bouncing on an excerise ball is good.

Good luck I hope she engages soon and try not to google!

Reg: Aug 9th 2008

Wednesday, March 11th 2009, 9:22am

It is not uncommon at all, more thon likely the head will engage during labour if not before, very few women truely have a pelvis that is not the best shape or size for their baby to fit through, as for the cord being there, even if it is unless it is squashed in place by the head there is no reason that too wont move out of the way, dont panic. To be cautious if your waters break ring hospital, they usually want to check you out but if you tell them the head is not engaged they will want you to go sooner to exclude a cord problem. Im sure all this worry will be for nothing in the end. Good luck

Wednesday, March 11th 2009, 10:20am

Thanks so much for fz!!!!

I always do feel better when posting on here - you ladies are so kind. Thanks very much for your quick replies.

I have had a headache since last night to be honest - I ended up calling hospital and asked to speak to mw in charge. She was in a meeting so I'm waiting on a call back. Just really want to ask if I can get a scan any sooner as this cord business is freaking me out!!! I have a feeling though I will be told to wait until Tuesday.......

Thanks for your reassurances though ladies I really do appreciate it.

Claire
xx

Reg: Oct 26th 2006

Wednesday, March 11th 2009, 11:58am

I can remember one of the girls on here being thoroughly fed up when in a similar position: 40 weeks, head not engaged. The midwife sent her home to rest as it was going to be ages and lo and behold, baby was born 6am the next morning!!!

Every one of them and us is different!

Me 37 DH 35
PCOS since 1991
TTC 4.5 years
1st IVF Sept 06 - BFN
FET Mar 07 - BFN
2nd IVF Aug 07 on the NHS! Yippeeeeee - EC 3rd September 19 eggs - 2 fertlised - :BFP: Its a girl !

Baby Iona born April 2008 - 5 weeks early - The light of my life

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 11th 2009, 1:35pm

Just an idea Hope... but do you have an exercise/birth ball you could sit on to open up your pelvis and encourage baby to go south?

Wednesday, March 11th 2009, 9:48pm

Hiya Bells

Funny you should mention gym ball - I got one today and have spent a few hours sitting on it tonight :snigger: :snigger:

Will be sure to let you all know how I get on

Thanks

xx

Wednesday, March 18th 2009, 8:56pm

Had hospital appt on Tuesday - head is 4/5's engaged so bouncing on gym ball must have helped!! Had a scan also - fluid all ok placenta high cord not in the way at all and baby of average size. I have been booked in for Wed 25th to be induced 10 days after my due date. Hopefully I will go myself before then as I don't like the idea of rushing things along. I do understand however that sometimes you do need a hand in getting things moving.

Anyone had experience of induction??

Thanks for reading
xx

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Wednesday, March 18th 2009, 9:28pm

Hi Hope, glad all is going as it should, your MW was very naughty to panic you about the cord, although in honesty I do think they were right to ensure that all of the things mentioned were not preventing your baby from engaging. My son was unstable lie for the last 10 days of my pregnancy and after being delivered by C-section we found out why - he was 10lb 3oz with a head the size of a melon :snigger: Soooo glad he came out the sunroof in the end! Lol!

But, if this is your 1st baby there is plenty of time for a natural birth - I know it may seem that as you've reached your due date that time is running out, that baby doesn't seem to be coming of his own accord but things have been known to change in a matter of hours :happy: If he has gotten 4/5 down in a week or so, it won't be much longer before he gets trapped and has no choice but to come out!

I was induced at 38 weeks with my DD, it will be fine don't worry :happy: In the meantime, bounce on your ball, on your DH :P , eat a curry. Even if it doesn't help it will pass some time! :D Good luck!!

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Wednesday, March 18th 2009, 10:42pm

I was induced hun it wasnt that bad i promise xx

5 x ICSI b.f.n
1 x FET resulting in my gorgeous son born 2007

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, March 19th 2009, 8:07pm

Quoted

Originally posted by HOPE!!!!!!!!
Anyone had experience of induction??

Yes, and IMO it lead to a cascade of avoidable intervention that ultimately lead to a C section and me feeling like this Feelings about delivery

Quoted

I do understand however that sometimes you do need a hand in getting things moving.

Again also my opinion, induction merely because you are 'overdue' is not a good enough reason. There are sometimes good clinical reasons for induction but if all is well with you and the baby then I would ask them what happens if you wait 24 hours, then another 24 hours, then another... the longer you wait, the better your chance of a natural delivery which is heathier all round for both you and baby.

Quoted

Hopefully I will go myself before then as I don't like the idea of rushing things along.

Me neither and I wish I'd stood up for myself, I still regret it now 2 1/2 years later. However, the chances are that if bouncing on your ball has made such a difference already then you probably will go into labour spontaneously. Just don't be bullied into intervention you don't want unless the hospital can give you a good reason.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Friday, March 20th 2009, 8:43am

Hi Hope

Throughout my pregnancy I was so anxious about getting to the stage of being induced and we spent the last couple of weeks doing everything we could to naturally encourage baby bubble to turn up. I was desperate to avoid being induced and then ending up on an escaltor of interventions.

What really helped me was continually reminding myself that my pregnancy could be 42 weeks long and thinking of my due date as being that date, rather than the 40 week date. I think that in some countries (France maybe) they actually give you the 42week date as your due date.

It's really really unusual for a baby not to turn up within the 42 weeks. Your body knows what it's doing. You've trusted your body to carry your baby for this long - trust it a little bit longer :smile:

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Reg: Aug 9th 2008

Friday, March 20th 2009, 12:39pm

You do not have to be induced at term plus 10 and many hospitals dont induce until term plus 14, if you go past 10 days it would be a good idea to have baby monitored just to check all is well, keep an eye on the movements and give yourself chance to start yourself. Induction is an intervention which will lead to more interventions, of course it has its place and is necessary for many women but if all is well try not to intefere.
P.s the same hormones found in the induction drugs are present in semen, if you see where im going.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE