You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "picklesmum" started this thread

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: 1 beautiful baby girl, our little miracle!

Sunday, January 18th 2009, 1:37pm

Maternity Leave/Undecided about going back to work

I'm due on 19th May and at the moment if everything is ok I will be taking my maternity leave from April 9th. I'm looking to have 9 months off, hopefully a year. Work know about this.

I will have to go back to work after that, hopefully part time but haven't broached that with work yet.

However public transport is getting worse and worse and I think when the time comes I will try to find something nearer home that I can walk to.

I know that most people say that you tell work you are going back and then if you decide not to you just tell them later (and you don't have to pay anything back) but at what point do you have to tell them if you're not going back?

Reg: Oct 26th 2007

Children: One very beautiful daughter!

Sunday, January 18th 2009, 1:49pm

Hi PM,

I think I remember reading somewhere that if you are not going back to work then you have to give your works its normal notice.

Have a look on the direct gov site for sure though!

ICSI March 2008 BFP, then early m/c, Natural BFP May 2008, m/c at 6 weeks
Natural :BFP: 08/08/08!!!

Calypso

Superstar

Sunday, January 18th 2009, 1:53pm

I don't know what your job is, but all companies should have a maternity policy that your personnel dept can issue you with. I would ask for that.

I haven't got pg (yet) but I've had a good look at it. It's quite long and I've highlighted all the important bits. It states that you need to inform your employer in writing by a certain date of your expected due date etc etc.

Good luck

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning how to dance in the rain

Jan 08 Fibroid removed. May 08 IUI - BFN :sadface:
Nov 08 IVF 7 eggs (just one fertilised :sadface: - BFN
May 09 ICSI 1 - 7 eggs (two fertilised) BFN :sadface:
Aug 09 Another fibroid removed
Nov 09 ICSI 2 - 1 mature egg (it fertilised) BFN :sadface:

My journey is now over

Reg: Aug 9th 2008

Sunday, January 18th 2009, 2:45pm

I would contact your manager or HR dept. My place of work ask when you want to return and this can be changed with notice, as for leaving i would need to give normal notice but as my work pay extra maternity pay on top of SMP if i dont return for 12 weeks i have to pay it back

Reg: Jul 24th 2008

Children: 2 Daughters - we have been blessed!

Sunday, January 18th 2009, 7:34pm

Same here - I have to say that will go back to work for 3 months, or give back extra maternity pay. I'm thinking of going back part time afterwards, but haven't weighed up all the pros and cons fully yet!

Me 34 DH 29

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans

1st IUI 9th Aug 08
BFP :smile:

Reg: Apr 14th 2008

Children: 1 on the way Yiphee!

Monday, January 19th 2009, 8:26am

Im the same thinking of taking the 9 months off then ideally going back part - time but I don't think will allow that my boss has already hinted its a full time post!!! God knows its so difficult especially as this might be my only baby and I don't want to miss out on he/she growing up!!!

Don't you think that once you get past one thing to worry about then there is another!!!

Monday, January 19th 2009, 1:28pm

Quoted

Originally posted by KASSI
Im the same thinking of taking the 9 months off then ideally going back part - time but I don't think will allow that my boss has already hinted its a full time post!!! God knows its so difficult especially as this might be my only baby and I don't want to miss out on he/she growing up!!!

Don't you think that once you get past one thing to worry about then there is another!!!

Exactly!!! and to think...I thought Getting pregnant was the hard part over!

Reg: Nov 16th 2006

Saturday, January 31st 2009, 4:25pm

We have to pay back the extra if we dont go back too - trying to work out if I can afford to go back or not is a nightmare as don't want to pay for childcare with a wage I make!

TTC 5+ yrs, MC, mild Endo, low Morphology
12xClomid & 3xIUI's - all BFN's
ICSI - BFP - ITS TWIN GIRLS

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Sunday, February 1st 2009, 3:42pm

I went back part time for the three months it took to "earn" the extras and then resigned. I told my manager of my intentions on my first day back but only because we are friends too and I knew she would be ok about it. Have to say that leaving my old job which included so much time spent traveling there and back for one where I can walk to work in twenty minutes has improved life no end!

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 12:19pm

Well thats it. I don't drive but get the bus and although it's not a very long journey the public transport is a nightmare sometimes, hence me going out really early in the mornng and then waiting ages in the bus station of a night. I want to try and find something in the town where I live which would mean a 15 min walk.

But I am telling work that I intend to go back because you just don't know what the situation will be like after nine months to a year (that I hope to take off)

As long as I give work the required notice while I'm still on ML I don't need to pay my MP back do I?

Reg: Jul 17th 2007

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 12:23pm

Hello there....
My workplace have a very good maternity package BUT if i dont return to work for 6 months after my maternity is finished (This can be part time) i have to pay back the money they have given me less the SMP...

Do they not have a maternity policy that you can print off and read?

I would just ask the questions up front as no one knows how you're going to feel about going back to work... they must get asked these sorts of questions all the time...

As said, what ive said about is specific to my company...
Hope you dont have to pay anything back and you can leave though... that would be my choice if i could...

I should explain - i'd like to leave my job as i work 230 miles away from our office and they will want me to start travelling again (America is the latest go-live) - being pregnant with twins is whats putting me off for going back but know that i would still like to work!
x
me 38 DH 45 - unexplained infertility and ttc for 4 years ,Mar 07 -Missed m/c
4 attempts at Clomid - BFN (Jun , Jul, Aug, and Nov 07)

Apr 08 - ICSI - BFN
Oct 08 - ICSI - BFP

Baby boys born on 29-May-09

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Claddagh" (Feb 2nd 2009, 12:31pm)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 12:25pm

I would strongly advise that you leave your options open and wait and see. I went back after having Mooch after 6 months. Financially we really didn't have a lot of choice but after dreading it and thinking I would hate it, I was glad to be back, even though I really miss her. I enjoy my job and think its worthwhile and its part of who I am. And despite the fact that some clown has published another report today that blames working mothers for most of society's ills, I feel it makes me a better mum too. You might feel completely the opposite but you can't really predict how you will feel until you are there.

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 3:05pm

Yes, I see what you mean Mrs J. I want to have my full entitlement (at least 9 mnths, or a year) but I wouldn't be able to give up work altogether (we will just manage for this time) but I only want to go back part time, partly because of paying nursery fees for 5 days a week!

However it's just I'm not sure if I want to go back to my current job or not. I've not broached part time hours with them, should I do it now?

Sometime ago I worked at Sainsbury's (I was one of these snobby ones who couldn't see herself working in a supermarket!) it was part time and not for long but I really enjoyed it , only left because I needed full time hours, and I thought then that places like that are so much more child friendly. There's an Asda 10 mins away from me so have thought about applying for a job there towards the end of my ML.

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 3:06pm

Or would I not necessarily have to mention about doing part time hours to work until I'm on ML and broach the subject with them then?

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 6:16pm

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Am taking my maternity leave on 9th April and have told work I'm having a year off, may be 9 months.

Our holidays run from April to April. My boss has suggested I have my holiday for this years entitlement at the end of my ML so will have 13 months (or 10 if I only have 9 months) however you never know how you're going to feel towards the end of your ML . I will have to go back to work then but may look for something nearer home. What will happen to my holidays then? Will work have to pay me for them?

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE