You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "jen84288" started this thread

Posts: 512

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

  • Send private message


Monday, December 8th 2008, 8:02pm

Triple Test

Hi, Im getting myself in a bit of a tiz. So far, up until now, i've said im not going to have the screening test for down syndrome and spinda bifida. This is because i feel that i wouldnt want an amniocenticis due to the risk of miscarriage. I also dont feel that i could get rid of a child because of a disability, maybe because there was a time when DP and i thought we wouldnt have a baby without IVF.

I had kinda decided not to get the test because i thought i would cause dp and i unnecessary worry if it came back high risk and the baby was to be healthy. As im nearing the 16 week mark (and my next midwife appointment) I kinda feel that being in my early 20s, with no history of downs, I would get a low risk result. I think i just want the test now so that i can put my mind at rest if i am low risk. My mum and sister never had the test, but everyone else i have spoken to has had this test done. I do know someone who was high risk, who delivered a healthy baby. It is this worry i am concerned about. help! x
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet



Posts: 8,532

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Location: Lancashire

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thanks: 15 / 4

  • Send private message


Monday, December 8th 2008, 8:50pm

I know exactly what you mean. Its so difficult isn't it. I sometimes wonder if life wasn't easier before all these tests were available. I decided against the triple test for the reasons you mentioned, or possibly because I am burying my head in the sand. Theres some useful info here (not FZ endorsed) to help you with the decision process. What does your DH think? Mine has decided that its up to me, which is great in one way but a huge responsibility in another.

Posts: 1,071

Reg: Jul 24th 2008

Location: Nottingham

Children: 2 Daughters - we have been blessed!

  • Send private message


Monday, December 8th 2008, 8:55pm

I didn't know whether to go for the test or not, as like you, even if the child was disabled, I'd still want to keep it.

However, as my DH said - it's better to know in advance, and then you can start to mentally prepare yourself if it is bad news.

Our tests came back last week as being low risk, so we were able to breathe a sigh of relief!

Me 34 DH 29

Created by - Free Diet Plans

1st IUI 9th Aug 08
BFP :smile:



Posts: 7,078

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Location: By the coast

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

  • Send private message


Monday, December 8th 2008, 9:38pm

Hi, just thought I'd add my 2 pennies worth!

We had the nuchal and triple test and came back very high risk. We then had to have some fairly harsh conversations and realistically reached conclusions that we weren't expecting to about our own limitations as parents.

However, we didn't want an amio because of the miscarriage risk, and to cut a long story short we had a 2nd nuchal/triple test and then the quadruple test at 16 weeks which gave us odds of about 1:16,000 I think.

We then decided not to have any further tests and our lovely, healthy daughter was born in October this year.

Where I'm going with all this is that you need to think about what your reaction may be if you get a result you're not expecting, and where you might want to go from there. For us, we reacted differently to how we'd anticipated. Or maybe we hadn't really fully discussed our thoughts on the issue and therefore didn't know how we'd react. Either way, it was a difficult time.

Wishing you lots of luck with your pregnancy.


My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

  • "jen84288" started this thread

Posts: 512

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

  • Send private message


Tuesday, December 9th 2008, 1:36pm

Thanks for your advice everyone. Im still not sure what to do though :( DP has also left the decision to me and says that he is happy with whatever. After speaking to him, he thinks that we could do without the worry of it all so has said, in his opinion, not to have it done (but he doesnt mind if i change my mind). But he is a completely different person to me. I like to be prepared, whereas he takes things as they come. I feel the need to know about things in advance, but as i am against the amniocentisis, if it comes back high risk then im still no clearer. hmm
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet

Posts: 223

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Location: Liverpool

  • Send private message


Tuesday, December 9th 2008, 1:42pm

RE: Triple Test

I had the 3-in-1 test and the test came back high risk (1 in 25). I asked the hospital not to do it as I had paid private for a nuchal scan so they shouldn't have done it, they just didn't read my notes in the line above!!

I chose not to have the amnio test and I gave birth to a perfectly healthy little boy.

It was the hospital's error that they carried out this test and made a formal apology to us both and said I can take it further. I chose not to as I work for a solicitors who sue the NHS left right and centre and to be honest that is not what it was about.

No-one can tell you what to do, but personally the hospital told us the the 3-in-1 test should be abolished as it gives out too many false positives.

I personally would not have it done.

Hope I have not upset or caused you any distress just wanted to be of help.
Gilly Me 37, DH 38, DH low sc 1st ICSI, July 2006 OMG :BFP: Born : 26 May 2007 bab22 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Gilly2" (Dec 9th 2008, 1:43pm)



Posts: 1,412

Reg: May 17th 2008

Location: Pretoria, South Africa

Children: Identical twins girls after 21 months of trying and alot of tears and heartache

  • Send private message


Tuesday, December 9th 2008, 1:55pm

Hi Jess

We didn't go for the test and I am expecting twins. Our dicission was on the fact that what if the babies are downs, we will keep them so either way the test results go we will keep them and the Lord gave this little miracles to us and nothing will go wrong with them and they will be born 100% and healthy. I didn't see the reason why to pay so much money for nothing. We are rather going to use that for a private 4d scan.

I also agree with Jodie, sometimes the test can be wrong and then you have put stress on you and the baby for nothing. but in the end it is really your own dicission and you will know what to do!!


bab10 bab10



Posts: 1,582

Reg: Apr 20th 2007

Location: Berkshire

Children: 4

  • Send private message


Tuesday, December 9th 2008, 2:09pm

I am all for the tests - my brother and sis in law found out they were expecting a severly handicapped child (that would probably not live more than a few hours) and were able to make the right decision for them at the time.

I know the results are sometimes wrong but for me I would rather have a second test or an amnio and know for sure.

If you are 100% sure that you would keep a handicapped child then don't have the test .

I don't mean to upset oroffend anyone but I have a close friend who had 2 disabled children and it is a huge commitment and she constantly worries who will care for them when she is not around anymore - you also need to consider any able bodied/normal children that you have or may have in the future and the impact that a disabled child has on their lives.

Saying that my friends kids are a delight and of course she adores them, as do I.

Just wanted to put another point of view across xx

Me 40
DP 43
twin boys born '93, dd born '98 [zx076]

  • "jen84288" started this thread

Posts: 512

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

  • Send private message


Tuesday, December 9th 2008, 2:59pm

Thanks for all your great advice. Mella, I was particularly interested in what you said about 4D scans. I think this could be what it is im looking for. I wouldnt have an abortion but would like to prepare my self if the baby were to have downs and the blood test appears to be flawed in giving alot of false 'high risk' cases. so my question is, does anyone know how accurate a 4d would be at detecting downs?
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet

Posts: 101

Reg: Aug 9th 2008

Location: West Yorkshire

  • Send private message


Tuesday, December 9th 2008, 6:54pm

Personally i decided not to have the test as I would never consider a termination. The problem with the triple test is that it does not really tell you much. I personally have met a woman with a 1:4 risk who had a healthy baby and a woman with a 1:55000 risk who had a baby with downs, this was a great shock to her as she had put the idea out of her mind after the test. If you really need to know then only invasive diagnostic tests with their own risks will give you the answer. I think the triple test causes unnecessary worrying and can cause false security, However at the end of the day it can only be your decision.



Posts: 3,468

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

  • Send private message


Tuesday, December 9th 2008, 7:31pm

My cousin is severely disabled. He was not expected to live past baby stage but he is now 27 years old.
We all love him but he has in ways destroyed their whole family. His two brothers help to look after him, they don't travel and have put their lives on hold.
I guess that their situation is pretty severe as he has got no motor control at all and can't speak but it has made me think.

I am not sure how DH would react but having seen their family suffer I know that I would have all the tests and then if the results were less than great to think about what to do then.

He is alive but he has got a bad quality of life but as good as he can.

If you are prepared to raise your child no matter what you could have the test and to be in some ways prepared.

My friend avoided the test but she kept on worrying through the pregnancy for this reason.
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Posts: 12

Reg: Jun 25th 2008

Location: Lancashire

Children: Mollie (8) Taylor born asleep 16/07/07 No3 Incomin

  • Send private message


Thursday, December 18th 2008, 12:03am

I had my triple test 3 wks ago. I never had it with my other 2 but as my last daughter died at fullterm. I personally felt that i had to have this test because if there is something wrong then i have to be prepared for all possibilities because tbh i couldnt bury another child.

I hope i dont upset or offend any1 with this reply.

I got my test results on Monday, they came back 1 in 7,600. (low risk)

V x x x