You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "chickapea" started this thread

Reg: Jan 1st 2008

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 5:38pm

met my midwife yesterday

I went to see the midwife yesterday and i don't think we hit it off! she kept me waiting for 20 mins, then said he never made the appt (she did - she phoned me up specially!) then when i finally got into the room she began the paperwork with a student in the corner and never mentioned her! so i said 'oh look, you have a student over there!' and she says 'yes', not do you mind so i said 'well i don't mind if she sits in so thats okay isn't it?' the poor student was really embarrassed but i thought the midwife was quite rude in not mentioning her or asking if i minded!
however, the most puzzling part to me was the frequency which i will see her. i am eight weeks now, have to see her at 16 wks, then 22 wks, then every month after, even in the last ten weeks. i thought i would have to go more often than that. and for my 12 wk bloods she gave me a card and the bottles and told me to get them done at work! its easier for me but its a bit cheeky! the amount of paperwork they have to fill in is amazing, and so repetative.
i have a scan booked for next week when i will be nine weeks so i am excited about that, i don't know how much i will be able to see but as long as i know everythings fine i will be one happy bunny!
does anyone know at what stage i will have to make my birth plan?
Got a BFP! 16/10/08 Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 5:47pm

Hi, sorry you didn't hit it off :sadface:

The pattern of antenatal care has changed somewhat over the last few years, but the pattern you describe sound sabout right. Normally you would be seen at "booking" (7-12 weeks), then again at 16, 22-25, 28, 31, 34,36,38, and 40/41 weeks.
You can arrange to make your birth plan anytime around 34 weks onwards. Your midwife may come to you to do it, or she may do it in the clinic, it all depends.

Hope you get on better next time
x

• "chickapea" started this thread

Reg: Jan 1st 2008

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 6:07pm

i am sure we will, i was just annoyed at waiting and then with her saying she didn't make the appt while i was in the waiting room made me look like a plum who just walked in off the street on spec!
Got a BFP! 16/10/08 Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 6:19pm

The pattern of appointments you've described sound similar to mine, except some of mine are with my GP so I see my midwife even less. I'm not bothered to be honest - I'm not unwell, pregnancy isn't an illness and if I need to be seen outside of those appointment times I know I can be.

I had a student there as well - but she did introduce her to me.

Hope you get on better next time.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 6:29pm

You should have said "the student can stay but I would prefer that you not be present for this"
Moo that she is. Hope she will be better next time or, if not, that you will get a different MW assigned. You don't need a mis-pot woman looking after you during what should be a happy time for you
as for the visits: I had a private Gynay down here and my appointments were
12, 19, 23, 28, 32, 36, 38, 39 weeks or something like that

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 7:30pm

Mine appointments are like that and I have never seen the same mw twice so dont worry too much. Although I must admit the one today was really good (1st time for everything!!) x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "GemH" (Nov 11th 2008, 7:37pm)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE