You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "jane april" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "jane april" started this thread

Reg: May 22nd 2006

Children: twin girls

Monday, July 14th 2008, 12:48pm

dizzy

I've started getting really dizzy, cant seem to stand in shops without having this. Just started taking extra iron supplements which may help, also been getting really tired

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
DH fine, me blocked tubes and adhesions
1st IVF BFN,December 06 tubal surgery,2nd IVF BFN,3rd IVF :BFP: TWINS
5 frosties
April 09 ectopic pregnancy

bab10 bab10
our babies are two pink frillies

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, July 14th 2008, 12:57pm

Hi Jane
Have you had your blood pressure checked lately? Mine's low and I get bad dizzy spells.
x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Monday, July 14th 2008, 12:58pm

Same here ...

(Not now though, obviously ;) )

Monday, July 14th 2008, 1:00pm

hi girls, had blood pressure checked at scan on Wed and they said it was normal, any other ideas?

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
5 frosties

bab10 bab10

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, July 14th 2008, 1:02pm

Just generally over-tired? Doing too much? Not enough to eat/drink?

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Monday, July 14th 2008, 1:03pm

Not eating enough? ?(

I would often get sugar crashes if I ate sweet things ... Only thing that helped was slow release things ... Porridge, weetabix, wholewheat pasta. Nothing too sugary

Keep an eye on what you eat and see if it ties in at all with when you get dizzy ...

Monday, July 14th 2008, 1:14pm

thanks girls. I really think I am eating enough though, in fact I can't possibly eat any more, I am so full up all of the time. I wonder what I eat that could make me like this. I've just been sat at my desk today and still feel dizzy and feel like I could nod off lol.

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
5 frosties

bab10 bab10

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Monday, July 14th 2008, 2:31pm

Do the iron supplements work straight away or does it take a while for them to kick in?
I remember reading about drinking OJ or some other food containing Vit C to help absorption of iron.
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Reg: Oct 2nd 2007

Monday, July 14th 2008, 5:52pm

I was totaly knackered and then got the iron, still tired but not drained like before. Did take a few days to kick in.

J, I seem to remember being very jealous you had only put on a tiny amount of weight despite twins, and during tcc you ate really healthily, maybe you do need to up the calories, preggers ladies should eat 2500 a day or so (dont think its more for twins??) so perhaps look at that. If you're getting too full, maybe smoothies or something as your so slim (boooo!"!!!)

And just rest up honey
Cathie

Proud mum to Eric after 3 years TCC!!!

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Monday, July 14th 2008, 6:25pm

Do u think it could be the heat? May be a silly question. x

Monday, July 14th 2008, 8:16pm

cathy, im taking in about 1600 calories a day maybe a bit more but im so full up all the time, my con said that was enough and babies are growing well, what foods could i eat to build me up.

Gem, it could be the heat

been taking the iron for 6 days now

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
5 frosties

bab10 bab10

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Monday, July 14th 2008, 8:42pm

Hi Jane

Wow, 1600 calories is very low indeed for a non-pregnant woman, let alone a pregnant woman with twins so my guess is you aren't eating enough good food and that's why you are feeling dizzy. Remember your babies are getting everything they need from you too, so you need to be careful that you are eating as much fruit and veg as you can.

The UK Department of Health Estimated Average Requirements are a daily calorie intake of 1900-2000 calories per day for women and the The American College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists recommend an extra 300 calories per day per baby, making 600 calories per day extra in total if you are expecting twins. So that's really a suggested intake of 2500-2600 a day for you. I understand that you are slim, so maybe drop that to 2300, but still, you are eating way under the amount advised.

Feeling full isn't down to the calories, it's down to what you are eating, so don't be fooled into thinking you've eaten enough calories/enough of the right food for you and babies just because you are full

x

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice…regnantdiet.htm

Quoted

Does a pregnant woman need to eat twice as much?

It has often been said that a pregnant woman should eat for two people, but this is not true.

What is true is that during pregnancy a woman has to provide good nutrition for two individuals. The growing baby gets all its nourishment from its mother through the umbilical cord, so diet is very important. If the mother is lacking in any vitamins and nutrients her baby might lack them too.

If a woman has had trouble keeping her weight up or down before the pregnancy, she should make a nutritional plan with the help of her doctor or midwife.

How much energy does a woman need during pregnancy?

• A woman who is not pregnant needs approximately 2100 calories per day.

• A pregnant woman needs approximately 2500 calories per day.

What sort of food should pregnant women eat?

A well-balanced diet should contain something from all the food groups: dairy products, fruit, vegetables, fish, meat, eggs, fat and carbohydrates. A pregnant woman needs to eat something from all these food groups every day in order to get the proper amounts of energy.

• Approximately 10 per cent of calories should come from protein. Protein is mainly found in meat, fish, eggs, dairy products and beans.

• Approximately 35 per cent of calories should come from fat, which is mainly found in butter, oils, margarine, dairy products and nuts.

• Approximately 55 per cent of calories should come from carbohydrates, which are found in bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, corn and other grain products.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_livi…regnancy1.shtml

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Paris

Star

Reg: Mar 7th 2008

Tuesday, July 15th 2008, 10:53am

think you need to get munching Jane :snigger:
[link=http://lilypie.com][img noborder]http://lilypie.com/pic/2010/04/19/oQcy.jpg[/img][img noborder]http://lb2f.lilypie.com/u5wmp2.png[/img][/link]

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, July 15th 2008, 11:07am

Jane, when you're pregnant your body contains much more blood. Your heart has to work harder to pump the blood up to your head and brain. When you are standing up for long periods, it can take a bit longer for the blood to get up there to your brain. Your blood pressure is in charge of sending that blood up to your head so even when your blood pressure is ok, it's still hard work for your body. The result is that you might feel dizzy when you are standing, especially when stood still and maybe concentrating, your breathing may slow a bit and cause you to experience a dizzy spell.

You can help yourself by standing up slowly to let your body adjust so that it carries on sending blood up to your brain and if you feel a bit dizzy, have a sit down. You can also make sure you eat and drink plenty.

It's very common in pregnancy.

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Tuesday, July 15th 2008, 11:19am

Wear Flat shoes too, less strain all over your body x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Tuesday, July 15th 2008, 11:28am

Any hints on some nice fattening food that I can eat.

1Xbaby, thanks hun, I have taken to wearing flip flops every day purely for that reason.

Bells - Thank you for your advice.

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
5 frosties

bab10 bab10

Paris

Star

Tuesday, July 15th 2008, 1:11pm

hmmmm cake ? :snigger:

normally i have cereal in the morning, two types (bran flakes + another) then a piece of fruit mid morning, then for lunch otday i had bowl of cold pasta with ham, avocado, carrot, corn, gherkins, olives and tom's. I also have a yog for this afternoons snack. Tonight i will have meat, potaoes and veg, plus maybe a yog or piece of fruit. I also have two big glasses of milk and will try eat a piece of cheese too. sounds loads doesnt it? :snigger:
[link=http://lilypie.com][img noborder]http://lilypie.com/pic/2010/04/19/oQcy.jpg[/img][img noborder]http://lb2f.lilypie.com/u5wmp2.png[/img][/link]

Tuesday, July 15th 2008, 1:40pm

hey hun, this is what I eat:

Big bowl of cereal with whole organic meal, 2 pieces of toast with marmite and butter, apple and glass of orange guice.

Mid morning banana, 2 pieces of malt loaf.

Lunch ususally consists of 4 rolls with cheese and salad and sometimes packet of crisps

Afternoon consists of box of raisons and then a piece of toast when I get home and sometimes a piece of flapjack.

Evening meal at the moment consists of bread roll with butter, sometimes lamb chops but gone off meat at the moment, big plate of oven chips and guess what... baked beans.

No wonder I am so stuffed but I worked out its only about 1600 calories.

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
5 frosties

bab10 bab10

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Tuesday, July 15th 2008, 2:23pm

Quoted

What sort of food should pregnant women eat?

A well-balanced diet should contain something from all the food groups: dairy products, fruit, vegetables, fish, meat, eggs, fat and carbohydrates. A pregnant woman needs to eat something from all these food groups every day in order to get the proper amounts of energy.

• Approximately 10 per cent of calories should come from protein. Protein is mainly found in meat, fish, eggs, dairy products and beans.

• Approximately 35 per cent of calories should come from fat, which is mainly found in butter, oils, margarine, dairy products and nuts.

• Approximately 55 per cent of calories should come from carbohydrates, which are found in bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, corn and other grain products.

Hi Jane

A rough guide to the calories you are eating (not knowing if it's white or brown bread for your rolls/toast, or what cereal you eat or your idea of 'large' plate of chips), here is a breakdown of your calories

Big bowl of cereal with whole organic meal, 200
2 pieces of toast with marmite and butter 120
apple 90
glass of orange guice. 120
banana, 60
2 pieces of malt loaf. 350
4 rolls with cheese 200x4 = 800
packet of crisps - 180
box of raisens – 50
piece of toast – 60
piece of flapjack. 250
bread roll with butter 150
sometimes lamb chops 200
big plate of oven chips 250
baked beans 150

So you are in fact eating 2500 calories a day no problem, if you eat all of that every day. But what strikes me is that your diet is virtually all brown and the calories are all from carbs (bread/cereal/banana/malt load/rolls/crisps/toast/flapjack/chips/beans) and you aren't actually getting much colour or very many nutrients from fruit/veg/good carbs (brown rice etc) so in turn nor are the babies getting them.

The guides above are excellent and give you a really good idea of what you should be eating on a daily basis to provide everything that you need and that the babies need for their development.

Hope that helps!

COW & GATE HEALTHY EATING

Quoted

Top tips for a healthy diet

• Choose a variety of foods from each of the different food groups to make sure you’re getting a good balance
• Have 3 regular meals and 2 to 3 light snacks a day
• Include generous helpings of fruits and vegetables, wholegrain cereals and beans to increase your fibre intake
• Drink water regularly – at least 8 glasses a day
• Include other drinks in your diet such as low-fat milk, fresh fruit juices and soup
• Eat one portion of oily fish and one portion of white fish each week (but avoid shark, swordfish and marlin)
• Use vegetable oils such as corn, olive and sunflower oil in your cooking, but use them sparingly
• Limit your intake of processed and preserved foods as they usually contain high levels of salt
• Reduce your caffeine intake to no more than 3 mugs of coffee or 6 cups of tea a day
• Limit your intake of sweets, crisps, cakes, biscuits, fats, oils, and sugar. These all provide extra calories but not much of the nutritional value that you and your baby need. Over-indulging now means it will be harder to regain your pre-pregnancy figure afterwards, so try to resist dipping into the biscuit tin too often
• Ask your midwife or doctor about extra supplements if you’re worried you’re not eating from a particular food group

Key nutrients during pregnancy

Certain nutrients play particularly important roles in your baby’s development during pregnancy. To find out more about each one, simply click on the nutrients you are interested in:

Vitamins and nutrients you need during pregnancy:

Folic acid
Iron and Vitamin C
Omega fats
Prenatal vitamin supplement

Vitamins to avoid during pregnancy:

Vitamin A

Folic acid
Folic acid helps reduce the risk of birth defects such as spina bifida. The most important time to take it is from a few months before you conceive until the end of your first trimester (12 weeks). During this period, it’s important that you are eating a healthy balanced diet as well as taking a folic acid supplement. You can also include folate-rich foods in your diet such as green vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, beans, and peas; and fruits such as oranges.

Iron and Vitamin C
Iron is one of the key nutrients you need throughout pregnancy – it’s important for carrying extra oxygen around in your red blood cells and your baby needs it for their developing brain.

If you don’t have enough iron, you’ll run the risk of becoming anaemic, which will leave you feeling tired, washed-out and generally unwell. So make sure you have plenty of iron-rich foods in your diet such as red meat, fish, eggs, dried fruit, wholegrain breakfast cereals and breads, and green leafy vegetables. Your midwife may also recommend an iron supplement.

Iron is best absorbed by your body if you also eat some fruit or vegetables rich in Vitamin C at the same time, so have a glass of fruit juice with your cereal or have some fresh fruit as a starter to your main course.

Omega fats
Getting enough omega 3 fatty acids during pregnancy is important, as they will help your baby’s nervous system to develop healthily, as well as help prevent you from getting heart disease. Some omega fats are important for the development of your baby’s brain and nervous system.

Oily fish like sardines, mackerel and salmon are all rich sources of omega 3 fatty acids but you shouldn’t have more than two portions a week, as the fish can also contain mercury, high levels of which can be harmful for your baby. Alternative sources of omega 3 are seeds such as pumpkin and flax – you’ll need about two tablespoons a day – or you can always have a pregnancy-friendly supplement instead

Prenatal vitamin supplement
You could opt for just one multivitamin supplement specially made for women trying to conceive or who are pregnant. It’ll help you get the right balance of nutrients recommended for a healthy pregnancy, including folic acid and iron.

But make sure you choose a supplement made for use during conception and pregnancy and not a regular multivitamin, as these can contain potentially high levels of the vitamins you should be avoiding.

Vitamin A
Foods such as pâté and liver sausage, are good sources of iron but they can also contain very high concentrations of Vitamin A which can harm your baby if consumed in high amounts.

The Department of Health recommends that pregnant women should avoid liver and liver products.You should also be aware that some vitamin supplements are high in this vitamin, so always choose a safe pregnancy supplement. Your midwife will be able to help you with this.

However, there is a form of Vitamin A, known as beta-carotene, which is fine for pregnant women to have. Beta-carotene can be found in red, yellow and orange peppers, mangoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, apricots, tomatoes and watercress.

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Tuesday, July 15th 2008, 2:46pm

gosh Eeyore, thank you for taking the time to do this

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
5 frosties

bab10 bab10

Wednesday, July 16th 2008, 8:44am

Blimey J

I eat 1600 cals when I'm trying to diet!! I know it must be hard when you're used to being so healthy and I guess the twins take up tummy room, but you gotta tuck in babes. No need to eat rubbish, just try and up the old grub and take it easy.

C
xxx
Cathie

mayo

Star

Reg: Jan 17th 2008

Children: 3 big boys ( born '03,'06 & '08)

Wednesday, July 16th 2008, 11:00am

Hey Jane,

I was sort of vegetarian when I was pregnant with my eldest (sort of cos I still ate fish!) so I wasn't eating meat either but you can still get all the nutrients from eating things like lentils and chickpeas combined with rice/grains ....your fav, baked beans are very good too! Oh, and eggs too.
I have been finding it difficult to eat my greens this pregnancy but I am making up for it by eating other foods containing folates like chickpeas (hummus really good as the sesame seeds also contain calcium) lentils , oranges, bananas and strawberries. Used to love broccoli but just can't stomach it just now!
Hope the dizzy spell clear up soon.x
Mayo

baby boy born Aug. '03
baby boy born April '06
m/c June '07 at 5w
m/c Oct '07 at 6w
m/c Dec '07 at 4w 4d
baby boy born Dec '08
m/c March '10 at 6w

Wednesday, July 16th 2008, 1:24pm

Cathie,

We've worked out that I do take in a lot more than 1600 calories, I got my estimations wrong!

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
5 frosties

bab10 bab10

Wednesday, July 16th 2008, 3:17pm

Thanks god for that!!!

Was thinking you would fade away m'dear!!!

If you need a fat transplant, just ask...............
Cathie

Thursday, July 17th 2008, 9:42am

I must admit even though I have put on a stone in 2 months, I seem to look like I have a football down my top, haven't put on weight anywhere else yet but I am sure that it to come!!! Last Saturday I gobbled two pasties as well!!! Pasty day for me tomorrow and Saturday for lunch yum yum. Friary Mill steak pasties - you just can't beat them, I have them as a treat twice a week.

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
5 frosties

bab10 bab10

Paris

Star

Thursday, July 17th 2008, 10:01am

yummy, you are making my mouth water!

Thursday, July 17th 2008, 10:51am

Go and get a nice pasty Paris

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
5 frosties