You are not logged in.

Unread posts

GBS

• "northernstar" started this thread

Reg: Feb 13th 2007

Tuesday, June 17th 2008, 9:02am

GBS

Hi girls

Some help please. I have just had my results back from a swob they took last week and they have informed me that I have got GBS. I have had a quick look on google and it has really scared me. They told me that I will have to have antibiotics during labour but that is it. I am really scared at the minute.

Can anyone help or to put my mind at ease ????????????????????
[row]
[/row]

Dec 07 - Natural :BFP:

TTC 3.5 years
6 months Clomid - :BFN:
M/C Oct 05
6 months on IUI - :BFN:
1st IVF Mar 07 BFP - M/C 5weeks
2nd IVF July M/C 5weeks WHY

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Tuesday, June 17th 2008, 9:13am

Hi hun

Kirsty had GBS, I am sure she will here in a second

In the meantime, have a look at this thread

GBS

I recently updated it, so have a look at the last few posts in there and see all of the information I have posted, including the GBS wesbiste

xx

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Tuesday, June 17th 2008, 9:23am

Thanks Eeyore - I have had a look at the thread and I know understand. I just wish my midwife was as good as the FZ girls. I am really annoyed with them at the minute as I can never get through to them.

Thanks again hun.
[row]
[/row]

TTC 3.5 years
M/C Oct 05

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Tuesday, June 17th 2008, 9:29am

:wave:

Hiya chicken ... Panic not :no:

The biggest thing about GBS, and the most worrying, is that most woment are not routinely tested for it. You have been ... So all those stories I know you've read online don't really apply to you. You'll be given the anti-biotics in labour and your baby will be monitored after birth. A lot of the horror stories you read are about women who haven't been tested or treated for GBS. You'll have a bright yellow sticker on your maternity notes, and your care providers will know that you need a little extra attention. You'll be given anti-biotics during labour, and your babies temperature will be taken over a period of 36 hours after birth. Nothing scary in that, at all :smile:

Eeyore's right, I do carry GBS so read and heard all the same stories you have ... But it was absolutely fine. I was advised to go into hospital as soon as I went into labour so they could give 2 sets of anti-b's 4 hours apart (you're not hooked up, just as a bolous (I think that's what it's called) which takes 10 seconds or so), you're then free to walk around. Another 4 hours later, and that's it ... Job done.

Once baby arrives, their temp will be checked as this is an indicator that they have picked up the GBS, if so, they'll be given anti-b's ... This is really unlikely though, as the anti-b's given to you, will have passed on.

Please don't worry hun, it's surprisingly common

Any Q's, please ask

xxx

Tuesday, June 17th 2008, 10:18am

Oh Kirsty - thank you so much. I have been in tears all morning but now I just feel relieved. I know I am a worrier but when you were reading those stories my heart was in my mouth. I am going to calm down now and try and do the wages...... I think this month I will get a lot wrong but who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM JUST RELIEVED.

THANK YOU
[row]
[/row]

TTC 3.5 years
M/C Oct 05

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Tuesday, June 17th 2008, 11:45am

Oh hun,
I'm so glad I helped ... :hugs:

Please feel free to PM me or write in here if you need anything

.... and stay the chuff away from Google :P

blowkiss

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Tuesday, June 17th 2008, 1:12pm

Hi Northernstar

Everything Kirsty said is absolutely true. I too carry GBS and really it is nothing to worry about.

My one addition to what Kirsty said is to tell them to put the venflow (I think thats what they call it sometimes) in your weaker hand - so if you're right handed put it in your left. Also if you are planning to be quite active during your labour you might find it is easier to have it put into your wrist area rather than the back of your hand - they tried both with me and the arm position was really much more easy to move about with and allowed me to put pressure on my hands without causing pain from the needle.

You'll be given the care K described and get to have a bit of extra hospital rest than a lot of mums once baby arrives - take advantage and fill up on tea and toast while you still have the chance :happy:

edited to say: if you do find that once the thing is in please do speak up. My hand was absolute agony and when another MW came in she spotted that it had been put in incorrectly and was causing my hand to balloon. Nothing frightening though, she popped it out and back in no bother.

Binky

Star

Reg: Aug 27th 2006

Children: 1 beautiful Little Girl with help from clomid.

Tuesday, June 17th 2008, 2:48pm

I too have GBS, I found out after a set of swabs. I was induced (nothing related to the GBS) and I was actually hooked up to the anti biotics, I was given three sets during my labour and afterwards I had to stay in hospital for 2 days while they monitored L, before I picked her up to feed her or for a cuddle I had to ring the buzzer for the midwife to come and take her temp. Its nothing to worry about now you know you have it.

Also don't worry if you have a short labour and you don't get the anti B's as they will give them to your LO, as a safety precaution.

Goodluck hun.

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Thursday, June 19th 2008, 10:19pm

I have to say, I am still shocked that there aren't routine tests being done now for GBS. I for one will pay for a test gladly when I get pregnant again. I didn't even know about it when I had my babies, and was shocked that the risks are so great. But as everyone says, you now know about it, so the antibiotics will protect you and your babies. It's good that they have picked this up for you at this stage.
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

Reg: Jun 8th 2006

Tuesday, June 24th 2008, 8:51am

Just to keep this thread going a bit longer.

i agree that the most shocking thing is that women aren't routinely tested for it. It is so simple to test for and so simple to prevent any problems.

i was tested right at the start of my pregnancy (by my clinic), and the results came back negative. But it was way too early, and now I've found out that my PCT won't do it later on to check whether I have it closer to the birth, which is the crucial time.

I'm intending to get a private kit, and ask my midwife to do the swabs - I know she is not keen, but I'll put the pressure on and turn the waterworks on if she gives me any problem.

Its really bad that you have to do that though - in my antenatal class last week - two thirds of the women had never heard of GBS, and weren't going to be tested at all. It was quite dificult to try and explain it to them without causing widespread panic!
Petra

5 years ttc
Endemetriosis
2005 - 3 IUI
1st IVF - 2006 - BFN
Nov 2006 - FET - BFP - 3/01/07 m/c at 8 weeks - blighted ovum

Nov 2007 - FET - :BFP: - bab21

Saturday, July 5th 2008, 4:29pm

Sorry girls - haven't been on here for a while. Junior is really making me so so tired. I did a really stupid thing by looking on google. Sometimes I think we can frighten ourselves so thank good for FZ and Kirsty. I was in a right state but now I know what to expect and at least we can get special treatment. I was telling the other girls at my antinatal about GBS and they didn't have a clue what it was. I truly think that we should be tested. It really maddens me that it boils down to money at the end of the day. I would recommend anyone getting a private test done cos our little bundles are so fragile and precious.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT.
[row]
[/row]

TTC 3.5 years
M/C Oct 05

Rivka

Saturday, July 5th 2008, 6:48pm

Edited to say: boy what a massive post, sorreee about that!

I feel like I have to say something here as I don't like to think of people fretting about something that the chances are will come to nought.

First of all the reason GBS testing is not automatic in this country is that a huge proportion of people carry GBS at any one time and are completely unaware of it. If testing was automatic it would mean that homebirths would be almost unheard of, that the majority of births were medically managed and that thousands of women would have AntiBs pumped into them during labour for no reason at all, just in case. In this country its taken on a risk analysis basis, those at risk are:

*babies who are delivered before 36 weeks (DD1 was 35+6, I was undiagnosed with GBS at that point and she was and is absoultey fine)

*Women who have a high temperature during labour

*women whose waters are broken for 18-24+ hours

Even if you experience one of these risk factors it DOES NOT mean that your child is in danger. It just means that the risk is raised. The more factors which in the event of your labour apply to you the greater the risk is. However, just as you can carry GBS and not show symptoms, so the same goes for your baby - it does not automatically follow that your child will become ill. Its rare, its devastating if it happens BUT it is rare.

I had GBS when I had my second child and the only reason this was discovered was becuase I was swabbed while pregnant when in hospital with a gastric bug. The chacnes are that I was a carrier when I had my first daughter but because it wasn't known, I wasn't given the drugs and no harm came of it.

AIMS have this (amongst other things) to say:

"There are large discrepancies among the findings of different research studies as far as the outcomes of babies who contract GBS are concerned. It is probably fair to say that, currently, researchers are more concerned with how to prevent GBS disease than what the prognosis is for the infants who do contract the disease. In 2002, researchers[7] published an analysis of two years' worth of data from births in the North of England looking at a number of aspects of GBS. They found that:

*The prevalence of early-onset GBS sepsis was 0.57 per 1000 live births. Put another way, one in every 1754 women had a baby with GBS disease.

*Premature babies accounted for 38 per cent of all cases of GBS disease, and 83 per cent of all deaths from GBS disease during the time of the study.

*Of the 39 (out of 62,786) babies who developed GBS disease, three were stillborn and six died soon after birth. Five of the six babies who died were born prematurely (before 36 weeks of pregnancy).

*Four of the mothers of the babies who contracted GBS disease had been given antibiotics in labour.

We can then say that, in this study, around one in four babies who were known to have GBS died as a result. In reality, the mortality (death) rate from GBS may be lower than this, as some babies may have had GBS disease and recovered without it having been diagnosed. Indeed, the US Centers for Disease Control quote a mortality rate during the 1990s of 4 per cent[3]. It is difficult to know which of these figures is the more accurate; the real figure may be somewhere between the two and, as with many things, will be partly dependent on local expertise and available technology."

Taken from Association form IMprovment to Maternity Services website - http://www.aims.org.uk/ These people really know what they are talking about.

In a nutshell they are saying that it is very rare and that even if you have GBS the chances of your baby contracting it are slim.

I'm not suggesting to anybody that they shouldn't have the antibs, nobody wants to be the one to put the theory to the test and get it wrong. I'm jsut saying that getting a diagnosis of GBS is not the end of the world even if it can feel liek it at the time. Just ask Bells she was there when I was in floods of tears after finding out.

Anyway, thats my two penneth. All I'm trying to say is, don't lie awake at night worrying about this :smile:

Reg: Jun 8th 2006

Monday, July 7th 2008, 12:38pm

That's really useful Rivka, thanks. The numbers do help to put it in perspective.

I think that the important thing is to be aware of what the risks are (however low), and then at least we can make our own choices.

I'm all for knowledge and choice in these situations. Having read the statistics, I'm now in two minds of whether to bother with the private swab. The main danger appears to be if the baby is premature - so i guess if i do go into labour before 36 weeks - the thing to do is ask for antibiotics during labour. After 36 weeks the risks seem to be much lower. If I've understood it correctly.

I'll probably re-read all this a few times and mull it over for a while. I agree that it is not good to be pumped full of antibiotics if it is unnecessary.
Petra

5 years ttc
Endemetriosis
2005 - 3 IUI
1st IVF - 2006 - BFN
Nov 2006 - FET - BFP - 3/01/07 m/c at 8 weeks - blighted ovum

Nov 2007 - FET - :BFP: - bab21

Rivka

Monday, July 7th 2008, 1:21pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Herts Hopeful

I think that the important thing is to be aware of what the risks are (however low), and then at least we can make our own choices.

exactly :happy:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE