You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Andypink" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, April 10th 2006, 9:56am

Weight Gain

It's official - I've put on too much weight. The midwife says I have nearly gained my pregnancy quota.

Obviously I need to slow down therefore, so as from today I am cutting out all crap.

Has anyone else actually had this problem. If so, what have you done about it? I thought maybe I'd try and lose a few pounds this week. I'm not talking about a crash restrictive diet, but maybe dropping a few carbs this week.

Am I the only person who has used pregnancy as an excuse to be a pig for 4 months?

Andrea
x
PCOS. Ovarian drilling October 2005
Amazing BFP January 2006!!!!!!!!!!
2nd BFP natural!!!! - due Dec 2008!

[/url[url=http://tickers.families.com]

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Monday, April 10th 2006, 10:21am

Andrea - do NOT lose weight! wrong thing to do.... however, just try and maintain your weight now. cut out the crap, eat sensibly and try and do some exercise - but do NOT try and lose weight.

I was 50kg and put on 20kg during pregnancy moving up 6 dress sizes (from size 8 to size 14)!. I lost 10kg almost immediately, or within the first few weeks.

ok, so I'm 10kg "overweight" now, but I will work on that once I stop breastfeeding.

Monday, April 10th 2006, 10:28am

From memory Andy you are quite slim aren't you? personally I would disregard your M/W - is she living in the dark ages?! Because research has shown that the weight gain of the mother bears no relation to the size of the baby I thought it was common practice not to monitor pregnant women's weight any more - I got weighed once at 8 weeks when the M/W just pointed out politely I was above the healthy BMI level already LOL - since then nothing (and I'm a right porker!) I did keep a track myself though and just paid lip service to eating a bit healthier LOL. I personally put on loads up to the second trimester - probably because I'd stopped dieting and running for the first time in about 5 years. for the last couple of months my weight was stable despite me having a mega craving for macdonalds and chocolate. For what its worth my advice is don't worry about it, sounds like she's on a power trip to me.

Just a little word of warning though, because otherwise I will feel a right hypocrit, I put on 3 1/2 stone with jessica and only lost 1/2 stone at the birth (work that out when she alone weighed over 10lbs herself) and I am finding it a bit depressing - can't wait to 6 weeks when I can joing weight watchers again.

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Monday, April 10th 2006, 10:30am

I agree with Sun - trying to lose weight is a no-no when pregnant but trying to maintain your weight is sensible.

I'm very fortunate as I haven't really felt hungry or wanted to eat for two although I have eaten crap a lot of the time. As you were so slim before hand Andy I'm sure you lose it all when you have the baby.

Monday, April 10th 2006, 10:52am

georgie - DONT go to weight watchers until after you have finished breast feeding as your LO needs all that extra fat storage on your body. just do what I dont do and say "NO!" to the Cadbury's creme eggs..... ;)

Monday, April 10th 2006, 11:01am

LOL you ARE joking! - there's a pack of six on top of my wardrobe for easter that keep winking at me! I know that some fat storage is needed but how much can one baby need??! I've got enough fat stored to start my own milk round!

Monday, April 10th 2006, 11:20am

Ladies thankyou. I'm not slim no. I was 11.4 when I concieved and I am 12.13 now (18 weeks pg).

I think I also stopped running straight away, and while I do exercise it is nowhere near as intense. But I think my real down fall is that I have eaten some rubbish every day, chocolate and cakes being the biggest.

I said to MW that I was worried about weight. She said that I've just got into bad habits.

I think I'll keep this thread active to get a bit of support.

x

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Monday, April 10th 2006, 11:40am

I was chatting to someone at work today who is 22 weeks, she said I look bigger than her!! Well she was a size 8 and I a 12 so I will look bigger!!

I dropped the diet the min I found out I was pg - you shouldn't diet when you're PG - it's wrong!

People carry it differently, ignore the midwife!

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Monday, April 10th 2006, 11:42am

As for weightwatchers. I plan to go back after baby is born but I bet I don't!

Monday, April 10th 2006, 12:06pm

Andy - indeed - a lot of my weight gain was due to reducing exercise, being less active as I got larger, and sitting on my arse eating snickers bar ice-cream. the last thing was what I should have stopped. dont actively try & lose weight when pregnant, but do try ;) and avoid the crap food! :))

Chilli

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, April 10th 2006, 12:06pm

I out on 1 1/2 by the time I was 14wks my MW said it was fine and I have balanced out now, I have put weight on of course but not at the rate I did in the beginning.

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Monday, April 10th 2006, 12:12pm

i have managed to gain nearly a stone and half since i started icis last nov .... at xmas i was approx 8 stone 9lbs ... now, thanks my sister in law scales being dropped in front of me - i am now a hefty 9 stone 7.5lbs .... bring it on !

Reg: Feb 13th 2006

Monday, April 10th 2006, 12:37pm

Hi girls

Is so frustrating isnt it....most of my friends either lost weight or put on no more than 2 pounds in their first trimester...i was small (8 stone) albeit much bigger than used to be and now Im in my 12th week Im a porky (for me) 8 stone and 12 pounds....I cant stop eating and albeit Im now eating healthier Im still eating loads and dont seem to able to cut out all the bad stuff...which I did whilst going through treatment!!! Heres hoping it all settles down soon...once I can start exercising properly again (post nuchal) im sure it'll slow down....i really hope so anyway!!

xx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, April 10th 2006, 12:46pm

I've been eating all the things I always wanted to eat but didn't allow myself. I actually think I was probably getting a lot of empty calories from alcohol so since I've stopped drinking, even though I'm eating lots of Ben & Jerrys (for the calcium!), my weight hasn't altered all that much. I do make an effort tog et my five portions of fruit and veg and I have been swimming whenI've not been too tired.

Andy and Tinkerbell, don't worry about your weight some women put all their weight on in the first trimester, then it slows down after that. The rest of us will probably catch you up soon.

Reg: Oct 15th 2005

Monday, April 10th 2006, 1:07pm

I started out at 12 stones.

After ivf 12.6..Now am 13.1 stones.

But although i don't eat a lot, I haven't been doing much exercies..So I really think all that sleep, is causing me to put on weight.

Now and again, I have had naughty food like choc and ice cream, but most times, all I want is very cold water with ice cubes.
THANK GOD OUR FAMILY IS NOW COMPLETE
ME-36 DH-42
Male factor/PCOS
Ist IVF/ICSI (Eggshare)-Jul/Aug'05-BFN
2nd IVF/ICSI (Eggshare)-Nov/Dec'05-BFP

Natural FET- Dec '07-(Abandoned no ovulation)
Med FET-Feb/Mar'08-BFP miscarried/ectopic (right tube removed & had a lap dye)
SUPRISE NATURAL BFP-May'08

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Monday, April 10th 2006, 1:14pm

I weighed myself on Sat and was 10 stone 4. Now pre-pg I think I was 10 stone (after weight watchers I was 9 stone). To put on 4 lb in 14 weeks with the amount I've been putting away is unreal. But am I bovvered?!

Bring it on is what I say too!!!!!!!!!!!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheZooKeeper" (Apr 10th 2006, 1:15pm)

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Monday, April 10th 2006, 1:20pm

Andy thats not that much - I was just over 9 stone when I got pg with DD and weighed myself with 8 weeks to go and I was 12 stone - a 3 stone gain!! 8o so I was probably 13 stone when I delivered - and she was only 7lb 10oz!! Ha ha.

Oh well. She is now 7 months and Im 9 stone 9lb so not bad I guess - could do with losing a bit more but the gym is just sooooooo boring. I went today on the running machine etc but dear god, life is just too short so I went to M&S and had a muffin and coffee to cheer myself up. Cant think why Im not losing the last bit.................

Anyway point being the weight you have gained is NOT the whole amount you should have gained by the end of pregnancy - I think they say around 3 stone is average - so carry on with the cream cakes, just not so often!

I found swimming was great when PG, especially in the summer - just remember no jacuzzis or steam room etc.
x

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, April 10th 2006, 1:33pm

If you can't eat naughty things when prgenant, when can you?

I've stopped worrying about my body. Theres a baby growing in my tummy, how clever is that? I don't care how it looks, I think my body's amazing!

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Monday, April 10th 2006, 1:42pm

here here Mrs J

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Monday, April 10th 2006, 2:07pm

Andy,

I agree with the girls - don't worry too much about weight gain in pregnancy - after all it is the one time in your life when you are expected to have a big tum and put weight on - don't let anything take away any of the enjoyment of being pregnant - worry about it after your baby is here --- I personally plan to go for a long walk every day when my baby arrives (no matter what other exercise I do) - I'm going to put him in his pram and get DS on his bike and go for a walk to the beach every day -- even in the rain. Enjoy being pregnant and eating the odd naughty thing and worry about losing weight afterwards.

Enojy

xx
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

Monday, April 10th 2006, 2:58pm

Yes - I know you are right, the trouble is that I hadn't been eating the 'odd' naughty thing.

Mind you DH seems to love my body at the moment - wierdo! Keeps kissing me.

x

Monday, April 10th 2006, 4:23pm

Ah Andy thats lovely..how fab...you specially girlie now!!!!!

xx

Monday, April 10th 2006, 7:09pm

During the first 4 months I put on half a stone, then lost a stone cos i was being sick all the time. But have put on a stone and half again. So now weigh 11 1/2 stone. I have been eating lots of ice cream adn big bars of Galaxy and packets of maynards wine gums. Nightmare eh!! But will work on it, although am going to slow down a bit now and lay off the sweets.

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 1:51am

ha - just realised you lot all work in stone

ok to put my weight gain into "old fashioned" terms ;)

I was 8 stone pre-pregnancy. I hardly gained anything in my first & second trimester. By the time I was ready to give birth I weighed 12 (!) stone. I'm now about 9 1/2 stone.

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 5:29am

Oh god SUnshine you lucky person..I weighed 8 stone and im already 9 stone and Im not yet properly at the end of the first trimester!!! Still pips welfare is all important so Im looking to go back to the exericse Im missing so much once the nuchal is out of the way.....then hopefully it should all settle.. brilliant news that youve lost so much in such a short time post birth....congrats Sun!!

xx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "tinkerbell" (Apr 11th 2006, 8:14am)

kirston

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 8:07am

morning all
the whole weight-gain thing is a nightmare.our first cycle started last april,and have pretty much been taking hormones and god knows what else since.i stopped pessries at 14 weeks,but now natural hormones are racing.i put on 2 stone before i found out we were pregnant,and a good stone since.i do enjoy my treats not all the time,i havent had alcohol for months and months.im enjoying this pregnancy and will deal with the weight after baby comes.
kirstonxxxx

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 8:37am

I wouldn't worry about it too much ladies- you're putting weight on for a wonderful reason- you're growing a baby!!
as long as your mw is happy with the size of your bump then your overall weight gain isn't relevent. Long gone are the days whereby women are routinely weighed at every appt.
Just "try" and have a reasonable diet, but enjoy being preggers- it's a great excuse!

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 11:03am

I ate a stodgy cream cake earlier - was yum but boy did I feel ick afterwards!

Ready for my lunch now!!!!!

Tigger

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 1:34pm

I've cracked the 9 stone barrier!! Have put on about half a stone. :rolleyes:

Not been eating anything really bad. Don't really like sweet, more of a savoury person. Think worst thing I've eaten (once) was a scone! Just don't fancy anything really. Struggling to force myself to eat anything apart from some bits of fruit and some cereal. Make a nice meal each eveing but only normally manage to eat just over half. Veg seems to be the worst, cooked it yuk but raw seems to go down much easier!! ?( Not feeling sick just don't fancy it and feel full very quickly.

S xx

No prev preg.
Ovary & Tube removed due to large ov cyst - 1997
Clomid 3months - Nothing (did ov though!)
HSG - no problems found with tube.
6 months Clomid
Watch this space.
Amazing [zx249] on last round of Clomid! :D

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 1:39pm

Tigger I was like you hun. Eating half a meal, just didnt fancy eating anything really, not even chocolate. But now OMG, I eat pretty much anything. :D

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 1:47pm

I read on the internet earlier that this is another extreme - some people can't eat regular meals, just little and often, esp in the 2nd and 3rd trimester.

I, on the otherhand, am making up for not eating that much at the beginning of the first tri!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 2:30pm

Me too Jen, eating for at least 2, or 3...

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 2:32pm

Hey Mrs J - you're in the second tri now!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 2:44pm

I know, its great.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 3:01pm

congrats x

Tuesday, April 11th 2006, 3:21pm

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Andypink" (Apr 11th 2006, 3:22pm)

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Wednesday, April 12th 2006, 6:54pm

andy you look just lovely and you are looking after your baby. if you want to ease up thats fine, but please don't stress too much about it. this is such a special time in your life and i don't want you to spend it worrying.
xx
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Thursday, April 13th 2006, 7:39am

I look like I've eaten all the pies, because I have!

Thursday, April 13th 2006, 8:03am

With you on that one Jen........only mine is pies and puds!!!

xxx

Thursday, April 13th 2006, 9:28am

Vegemite, that is sooo kind of you to say. Do you really think I look fine, all I see when I look in mirror is fatness with little bump.

4th healthy day in a row so far. I am keeping a little food diary which is helping to focus me a bit. I'm still having 3 meals and 3 snacks (at least), just no rubbish.

x

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
Constantly craving sleep...

Thursday, April 13th 2006, 8:40pm

Hi, All
Just to be different I am going to post the little lecture I had from my doc:
1) I am only allowed to gain about 4-6kg through my entire pregnancy (less than a stone)

2) PCOS and sugar DO NOT go together. All PCOS ladies are at higher risk than others of developing diabetes in pregnancy and the higher your weight, the higher the risk, so eat as if you are already diabetic you will do your body and your baby a great favour

3) Stick to a low GI diet. You may not be trying to lose weight, but it will slow your weight gain down. Limit yourself to about 4 portions of carb per day, but don't cut out the dairy or the protein (3 portions each) or the fruit (3 portions daily) and eat lots of non-starchy veg.

4) The thing about not weighing in pregnancy anymore is not because they don't care if you put on lots of weight, but rather that in the past it was believed that if you gained less than 12kg through your pregnancy your baby would have a low birth weight and would be sickly and at risk. The current trend is that if you are under weight you are expected to gain about 20kg for the sake of your and baby's health - if normal weight about 12-15kg - if over weight only 4-8kg. Overweight means we've already laid in plenty provisions (in those lovely saddle bags etc) for baby so you should only gain the weight of baby(about 3kg), amniotic fluid(about 2kg), placenta (little over half kg) and breast changes (less than half kg) - total about 6kg.

5) Losing weight in pregnancy may not be something to strive for, but if you do, don't panic. I was freaking because I have lost 3kg in the last 3 weeks and I am eating what I consider to be a normal amount and I am not up-chucking. I was told: That's ok. You'll make it up later...

6) You are not eating for 2 (or 3) while you are PG. You may only eat for 2 when you are breast-feeding eclusively and baby is about 4 months old and leaching you of most of your nutrients.

So, sorry if I have put a damper on the eating-for-two frenzy, but eating for 2 is not doing your body or your baby any favours.

Oh, and in case you are wondering - I weighed in at 98kg when I got my BFP. I am now at 94.9kg.

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Thursday, April 13th 2006, 9:36pm

The bit about sugar just woke me up. I stopped taking met 2 weeks ago and have a sweet things craving. The met is taken by diabetics to control sugar levels and I think this has helped with my cravings. Now I've stopped taking it it never occurred to be to be more careful!

Hope all is ok now I've stopped taking it

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE