You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Margaret

• "Margaret" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Sunday, February 19th 2006, 4:58pm

Maternity classes

Hello everybody,

Doesn't seems to be many posts in the thired trimister.
Maybe someone can help me.I am 31 weeks PG and by the time I have my next midwife appointment I will be over 34 weeks and I haven't booked any maternity classes yet.Can you tell me when I am suppose to attaned the classes and for how many weeks?

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, February 19th 2006, 5:41pm

Hi, welcome :)

Your midwife should know about Parentcraft or antenatal classes although the seem to vary enormously depending on your area. Some classes are private, some health authority funded, some have to be booked months in advance and some may not even mention them to you. They are generally about 6 weeks long so you need to find out sooner rather than later.

My advice is to phone up your antenatal ward where you've been going to see your midwife and ask them about the classes.

Margaret

Sunday, February 19th 2006, 5:58pm

Thank you.I will call them tomorrow.I also thought that something should be organise by now specially that it's my first PG and I don't have much idea what to expect.

Sunday, February 19th 2006, 8:37pm

hi Margaret

welcome to FZ. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope you get some classes arranged soon

love Flori xx

I will be a Mum!
TTC a few years.
12 months Clomid - BFN! Getting acupuncture/reflexology. Hypothyroid.
First IVF - put on hold Jan. 2006 due to thyroid problem
Young at heart 40 year old! [zx078]

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Sunday, February 19th 2006, 10:03pm

If you can't get through to the ward, then at least call your midwife directly. At my booking-in appointment when I was only about 9 wks pg, they gave me the contact details I needed, so I'm surprised you haven't been told anything. I hope you can get on to a class - it is quite late now but hopefully they'll find space for you because it is very helpful.

Yes, there aren't many posts in the 3rd trimester at the moment - I'm nearly 30 weeks and Geogie is about 36 weeks and there aren't many others in the 3rd trimester at the moment who post regularly. There's a whole bunch of girls around 26-28 weeks who will be joining us soon! Hope you're feeling well.

Limpet
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Monday, February 20th 2006, 7:23am

Hi Margaret
Great to see someone else in the 3rd trimester too - a few people recently gave birth and I felt a bit self indulgent doing all the posting!
As Limpet says, there are a couple of us now and a few more to follow!

Our NHS classes lasted 4 weeks - pretty basic really, we also did NCT classes which were more useful but I think you may be lucky to get on to one of these now as they are really booked up early on (we had to travel miles to ours which kind of defeated the object of making new friends for after the birth). The most useful thing we found was a tour of the labour ward and our hospital did this routinely anyway once a month - it may be worth your while asking the hospital if they do regular tours? Seems like you don't get offered anything sometimes without asking doesn't it

Monday, February 20th 2006, 8:30am

Please let us know how you get on, Margaret.

As Georgie says, one of the best bits of the classes was to see the ward so that when you get there for real it looks at least a little bit familiar, so you might be able to arrange that yourself. And, the other main benefit I got was making a good friend who I'm still in touch with 2 years later - she's due her second just a month before mine.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Margaret

Tuesday, February 21st 2006, 10:03pm

Hello again,
I called my midwife today she said that I can attend any antenatal classes at any time -they are run every Wednesday afternoon and I don’t need to make an appointment. She also said that I should start thinking about it at any time after 30 weeks. Last Wednesday of the month the class is taking place in the hospital and they give you a tour around the ward, following your advice I am going there tomorrow evening.
From another hand they seem to think that I suppose to know that antenatal classes suppose to be attended after 30 weeks, which I didn’t. I was hoping that midwife will tell me what to attend and when. I was wrong. This may be a bit of warning sign for some people. If not this side I was going to wait for my next midwife appointment at 34 weeks to ask her, which probably will be a bit late.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 21st 2006, 10:11pm

That's great Margaret, I hope you enjoy the tour tomorrow. It really does help to familiarise yourself with the labour ward.

I know what you mean about classes not being offered. It would be a good idea for all women to ask if classes haven't already been mentioned by 30 weeks.

Do let us know how you go on tomorrow :)

Wednesday, February 22nd 2006, 9:40am

Great Margaret glad you managed to get sorted out - you are lucky living in the city too as they may offer more. I live in the sticks and everything's a bit thin on the ground here! its worrying how easy it would be too slip through the net isn't it!

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 22nd 2006, 12:52pm

I am waiting for the NCT to get back to me about starting classes.

RANT!!

My MW is really lovley but I so hard to get in contact with, I to have my next appointment at 34wks and although I have opted for a home birth I did ask if i could view the hospital and birthing centres just in case I change my mind and she has not done a thing, I would like to go before I am really waddling about if I ask her at the next appointment then it will probably be another week or 2! Does anyone know if I can arrange this with the hospital?

I know they are busy and do a great job but I have only ever tried to contact her twice and both times had no reply or return phone call!

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, February 22nd 2006, 1:22pm

Lauren I was told to ring out local birth centre (in the hospital) to arrange a tour, I was given the contact No by my m/w when I had my booking in appt.

I was told the appts are every Sunday but to ring 1/2 hour before hand to make sure all the birth suites aren't being used. I think mine is 19th March which is quite early but I do like to be organised! If you can't get hold of your m/w then I would def ring the labour ward or birth centre & ask how you got about arranging a tour ?(

I've already visited the labour ward (which is where you go if the birth isn't straight forward) & it was fab - the people there were so caring & lovely I have no qualms about it now so i hope the Birth Centre is even better :D

Get on the phone hun & let us know how you get on!

xx

Wednesday, February 22nd 2006, 4:52pm

yep I'd echo that contact the hospital direct.

As for NCT, we had to travel miles to our classes - I phoned when I was around 4/5 months and had no joy, it seemed people booked on the minute they get a BFP

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 22nd 2006, 6:08pm

I am hoping that we will be ok, a friend of mine booked hers in Jan she is due in March so hopefully we can get in. I do still have the option of the NHS classes but they are only once a month and only two more till my EDD.

I am going to have my anti D jab tomorrow so I can find out while I am there about a tour, getting a bit nervous now..........

Thursday, February 23rd 2006, 4:49pm

Margaret

My Midwife told me that my classes start at about 26 or 28 weeks. Hope that helps. I am in Scotland though.

Margaret

Friday, February 24th 2006, 10:44pm

I had my tour around hospital last Thursday.The tour was very basic .M/D showed us delivery room and how to get to the ward, where to park the car etc. It took no more then 10 minutes. This was my first of four classes and for some people it was the last class so this was a bit confusing.
The best part was when they brought a 1 day old baby and show us how to bath him. This was quite exiting however m/d look pretty bored and didn’t try to make class interesting .This is my first PG and I tried to read few books about it and even so that I consider myself totally inexperience I was surprise how basic were the information. If at this stage I can give anybody any advice is to read a book or two and go to the class with the list of questions and don’t fell shy about asking them

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 1st 2006, 8:04pm

Got in the NCT classes, she called me today should start at the begining of April and it's 16 hours in total, really looking forward to it!

Bagpuss

Wednesday, March 1st 2006, 8:15pm

Mine start 20th March with the NCT & i have my birth centre tour the day before assuming that all the labour suites are not occupied!

Saz

Thursday, March 2nd 2006, 7:32am

I have my tour on Tuesday, and classes start on the 21st!! Can't wait!!

secrets

Friday, March 3rd 2006, 8:22am

8o My God

Limpet, Saz your both here already 8o, time does fly :D

Not long to go now!!
icsi - m/c 05
icsi bfp 2009 twins born nov 2009

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "secrets" (Mar 3rd 2006, 8:23am)

Saz

Friday, March 3rd 2006, 8:42am

Hey Chezzie babe!!!!!!

Hope you are ok!!

I know, I can't beleive we are in the homeward leg!!! Scary and exciting all at once!!

Bagpuss

Friday, March 3rd 2006, 9:48am

Me too as of today!

Soooo scary to be in the last tri now, birth plans next hey ladies??? 8o

Anyone got any advice about birth plans as I haven't got a clue where to start (my m/w has changed & I haven't met the new one yet so I haven't talked anything over with them at all)!

Saz

Friday, March 3rd 2006, 12:19pm

I haven't talked anything over with m/w either, but then I have never seen the same one twice!!!!

I know what I want tho, that hasn't changed since we started ttc, never mind since being pg.

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Friday, March 3rd 2006, 12:39pm

My plan is not to have a plan - managed last time with gas and air and a pethadine shot in the leg and would like to do so the same again - but as no two births are the same am just going to go with the flow and see what happens - hopefully not needing too much pain relief but knowing that its there if I need it and not putting too much pressure on myself not to have anything.

I'll be officially joining you guys tomorrow - see you then.

Elaine
x
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

Saz

Friday, March 3rd 2006, 1:49pm

I want to try and manage with gas and air too, and pethidine if I get desperate!!! I also want a water birth!!. Baby delivered onto tummy. Dad to cut cord. Once baby cleaned up, strraight to Dad for first cuddle.

secrets

Friday, March 3rd 2006, 2:37pm

Girlies!!!!! Lets be real now...birthplan will go right out of the window once the pain gets ya!!! :D

Go with the flow is what I say......pethidene, drugs galore...bring it on............. :))

Unless you want to end up like me that is....ha-haa

My birthplan - water pool (or whatever its called now) and music with incense ha-haa
when the water sbroke I screamed for mercy....lol

Even thou' my plan never worked, it made me feel better knowing I had one :))

Welcome to the 3rd trimester bagpuss xx
icsi - m/c 05

Saz

Friday, March 3rd 2006, 2:54pm

I think thats whay I had my plan done so early. I feel better knowing I have one, even if it does go out the window!! :D

secrets

Friday, March 3rd 2006, 5:06pm

pmsl!!!
icsi - m/c 05

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE