You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Tanny

• "Tanny" started this thread

Reg: Jun 27th 2007

Monday, December 17th 2007, 1:43pm

Iron levels...

Had blood test results this morning showing B12 is 323, Serum folate 12.1 and serum feritin is 11.7. I have tried to find information on the net about these levels in pregnancy, but cannot find anything. Receptionist said they were low, but Dr receptionists are least qualified to state this, so was wondering if anyone here knows about this. Thanks :smile:

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, December 17th 2007, 2:08pm

I think when they drop to below 10 it is considered aneamia (if I remember rightly) They like them to be around 12 so yours isn't dangerously low, and they do drop slightly in your 3rd trimester.

Are you taking a supplement like pregnacare which will give you a nice iron boost without the need for iron supplements and their nasty side effects?

Green leafy veg is a very good source, so at Christmas get an extra helping of brussels! :P

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Tanny

Monday, December 17th 2007, 2:14pm

I have been prescribed ferrous sulphate tabs, 200mg ones, and take 2 a day. I do have restless leg syndrome which is worse now - normal in pregnancy I think.

ZIG

Ace

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Tuesday, December 18th 2007, 10:54am

There are a few alternatives to your ferrous sulphate tablets just in case they give you constipation or the squits (delightful!). Green leafy veg, as mentioned above, are a good source, as are nuts. Up your vitamin C intake and leave at least and hour's gap before or after taking your tablets before you drink any milk (milk inhibits iron absorbtion whilst vit C encourages it). The alternatives from the health food shop - Spatone sachets and also a syrup called Floradix. They are both really good and have no side effects unlike the ferrous sulphate tabs. The tablets also turn your poo black, so don't panic if that happens!
My levels dropped below 10 in my 3rd tri and whilst one midwife was worried and prescribed tablets, another said that it was really common and not to panic. 12 is about normal if a tiny bit low, but have a daily glug of fresh orange and a bit of Spatone or Floradix and you'll be fine.

Restless leg is also very common - it drove me mad!

Zig x
Me 38, DH 44. 2002-2004 2x ICSI's, 1x egg donation. Changed clinics for own eggs ICSI/tx no.4 - BFP 27/4/05! Mummy to Isabella after early c-section 15/12/05, due to LLP. Baby No.2 (huge 'natural' surprise!) Ruby Olivia arrived 29/09/07 via emergency c-section.

Tanny

Tuesday, December 18th 2007, 12:57pm

Thanks all, will have a look at the ones you mention Zig. While we are on about the squits, I don't really have that much of a problem though, but the farts stink my DH out the house. He swears blind that I will explode one day when too near the gas cooker!. They really are potent :innocent: :snigger:

I agree about the restless leg syndrome. I am up at least 8 or 9 times during the night, pacing up and down the room, or kicking the bed. Poor DH doesn't get much sleep because of the bed being a trampoline for 30 minutes. I do find that folic acid helps the restless feet in some way.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Tanny" (Dec 18th 2007, 1:01pm)

ZIG

Ace

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Tuesday, December 18th 2007, 9:12pm

Don't talk to me about the farts.... I had them so bad that my dh wanted me banned out of the country! I was more devastating than a nucleur warhead! Eyeballs would melt!
Zig x
Me 38, DH 44. 2002-2004 2x ICSI's, 1x egg donation. Changed clinics for own eggs ICSI/tx no.4 - BFP 27/4/05! Mummy to Isabella after early c-section 15/12/05, due to LLP. Baby No.2 (huge 'natural' surprise!) Ruby Olivia arrived 29/09/07 via emergency c-section.

Tanny

Wednesday, December 19th 2007, 12:18am

:laugh:

• "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Wednesday, December 19th 2007, 8:46am

Curly Kel (sp?) is also good source I think - I love it just shame you can only buy this time of year. The supermarket beginning with T and good greengrocers sell it.

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

Jaid

Ace

Reg: Jul 19th 2006

Saturday, January 12th 2008, 11:02pm

I seem to have a lack of iron !

I am now on sulphate tabs, 200mg ones, and take 3 a day !!!!
And I am getting black poo's - sorry tmi !!!!

Also they want me to cut down on choccies / sweets - I CAN'T !
Jaid
Me 35, DH 41 -TTC/since Apr04
Natural BFP-Jun05/M/C @ 6 weeks-Jul05
Blocked Tubes - Mar06
1st IVF - '06' bfn / 2nd IVF '06'- bfn
8th Mar 07 - Laparoscopy / Endo found & cleared.
Tried Naturally - July 07 - BFP
Have a beautiful baby girl.

Tanny

Sunday, January 13th 2008, 12:17am

Same here Jaid. It is a must have for me now. Chocolates are my rations, without them, I'd starve :D

Reg: Jun 12th 2007

Thursday, February 21st 2008, 9:52am

I have just been put on sulphate tablets 200mg. They are making me really nauseous - is it worth asking them to put me on something else? I'm feeling real grotty and I was feeling fine when I was anaemic!!!! Any ideas?

Lexie

Star

• "Lexie" is no longer a member of FZ

Thursday, February 21st 2008, 10:24am

Hi Wishful
Im on iron tablets 200mg 3x daily and at first they made me really sickly. At one point I vomited all day off them but it was because I took my morning dose on a empty stomach. One of the side effects of iron is nausea and you must take them with food otherwise you will feel ill.

I would stick with them and see how you feel as they can take a few days to kick in then if ure still grotty see what they say. Good luck x
Me 34,DH, 32. DD15 from prev relationship. Scan 9/07 showed 2 [zx076] [zx076] My perfect little ladies arrived healthy 7 weeks early on 18/3/08 weighing 4lb 8 and 3lb13...Love my three pinkies

:girl: :girl: :girl:

Reg: Jul 3rd 2007

Thursday, February 21st 2008, 1:42pm

I'm also on the ferrous sulphate tabs and find it ok (I also take pregnacare and eat spinach and broccoli etc whenever I can). I can't stop the chocs tho, and I love cups of tea (although I try not to have one near the time that I'm taking the tabs). Not sure if my iron level has gone up, but I feel ok.

I would take whatever they recommend.
ME 38 DH 36
DH - v low sperm count and motility
Little Teddy born 26/4/2008
BFP 30/7/10 m/c @ 5 weeks
BFP 1/9/10 - mmc

Jaid

Ace

Reg: Jul 19th 2006

Saturday, February 23rd 2008, 10:27am

I'm still on mine.
The reason for nausea is taking them on an empty stomach.
I read somewhere on the net best taken like that but that made me also feel dizzy. I know take them 1/12hrs after a meal and don't eat a meal til at least an hour after. Think it's working, also overdosing on red meat and green veg !
Going to request another test to check the level this Wednesday at my 38 week appointment. Midwive scared me last time saying if it stays low, it is dangerous during labour, she made it sound like I deliberatly don't take iron !!!!! Who does that, no-one.
I always had low iron it's just no one picked up on that before.
Jaid
Me 35, DH 41 -TTC/since Apr04
Natural BFP-Jun05/M/C @ 6 weeks-Jul05
Blocked Tubes - Mar06
1st IVF - '06' bfn / 2nd IVF '06'- bfn
8th Mar 07 - Laparoscopy / Endo found & cleared.
Tried Naturally - July 07 - BFP
Have a beautiful baby girl.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE