You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "babygirl" started this thread

Reg: Apr 15th 2006

Wednesday, January 23rd 2008, 6:34pm

asthma pumps

Hiya all,

stupid question time lol

I got a cold at the moment and Im twenty nine weeks plus five days today, my asthma has been playing up really bad (I dont usually have to take my pumps) but at the moment Im finding myself not being able to breath so I have been taking my ventoline and seretide, does anyone know if this is safe?

I have asked my dr but she just seems to be more interested in me just taking them and she hasnt told me if they effect my baby or not.

me 26
Got blocked tubes and cysts
icsi march 07 :BFN:
ICSI(assisted hatchng) in june :BFP:
Harley Joseph born April 2008

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Wednesday, January 23rd 2008, 7:21pm

Hi, Becky
Serevent contains a corticosteroid and use of corticosteroids can cause and increase in your blood sugar and therefore make baby a bit on the large side if you use it for a long period. I can't find any other negative effects on the baby if you use it - only did a short search though. Ventolin is considered safe the only thing that it may do if you are using it at time of labour is that it may suppress contractions.
You have to think of it this way: What will be more harmful to your baby? Being a bit big because you are using seretide? Or developing other problems from lack of oxygen because you are not gettting enough oxygen due to your asthma? I think, in your position, I would go for using the pumps!!!

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 7:21am

thank you so much for the information rene, that has made me feel a lot better about taking my pumps, my cold has got a lot better since yesterday, I took my seretide and havent needed it since, I will take my pumps when I need them, but I will not take them all the time for no reason, I dont usually have to take them I think my chest infection has just given my asthma a bit of a hard time lol.

thank you so much xx xx xx

me 26

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 8:23am

Sorry to contradict you Rene but Serevnet does NOT contain steroids, Seretide which Babygirl is taking DOES. They are completely separate products. Taking inhaled steroids when pregnant is not going to do any harm at all Babygirl. There is absolutley no medical evidence that steroids at inhaled doses cause larger babies (I took seretide throughout pregnancy and DD weighed 7lb12), they may possibly do it if you take oral steroids throughout pregnancy but inhalers deliver micrograms. There is however good evidence that poorly controlled asthma causes problems as Rene says. Relax, you did the right thing.

Edited to add, my advice is in line with current UK asthma guidelines. I think we need to be very careful with medical advice that it is actually correct.

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 11:14am

thank you for that mrs jasper xx xx xx

me 26

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 12:37pm

I took ventolin during my pregnancy as I would be doubled over on the floor, coughing, vomitting and tears streaming down my face struggling to breathe.

At 32 weeks I went into premature labour with contractions. I was given steroid injections to mature the baby's lungs. I was also given ventolin in HUGE doses (ie 3 times per day I took a tablet which was the dosage equivalent to 5 inhalers) and that suppressed the contractions for another 3 weeks before they finally stopped working and I had to give birth.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE