You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "babypink" started this thread

Reg: Oct 28th 2006

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 1:10pm

Low Platelets

Hello all,

Update on my platelets:

Well, in one of my previous threads (can't remember which one!) I mentioned my platelet levels being on the low side... and seeing all these different midwifes and doctors... they were all suggesting different things... some said we'll just leave it and see, some said they'd check again in a few weeks, some said no it has to be checked now, some said you should have been referred to a haemotoligist.. and so on... so as you can imagine, I have been a bit confused and concerned as I don't know anything about what should be happening and have had other things on my mind like getting to full term with this pregnancy unlike my last, and the baby measuring small for its gestation... so this is now another thing to be worried about. And what is getting to me is that the docs don't say anything for ages and you think all's well, then you go and see another doc/consultatnt and they scare the hell out of you!

Well, I think the lowest side of platelets you should be at is 150, which I thihnk I was at 159 at the beginning of this pregnancy. Think normal's supposed to be something from 150 - 400. Anyway, couple of months back had another blood test done and they had dropped to 52... so midwife scared me and made me an appt with hosp who said there had been a mistake as the blood sample had clumped on its way to hosp so showed lower platelets. So they took more bloods and this time the results came back as 69. So I got a phone call from midwife saying to go back to hosp as I'd need to see the consultant who would refer me to a haemoltoligist.
So, i go back and this consultant didn't even know why I was there, she just did a regular antenatal check up and said everything was fine and was sending me on my way and then I asked, 'what about my platelets?' She said, 'what about them?' So I told her that's why I had been referred back to the hosp. She looked at my notes and said, they were 69 at the last count so yeah they're fine. We'll leave them at that and they'll check your blood again at 36 weeks (at this point I was about 28 weeks I think).

Anyway, the last hosp appointment I went to last week (34 weeks preg), the doc saw my notes and asked if my bloods have bveen checked again to see what the situation was with my platelets, I said no, that the last consultant said just get them checked again at 36 weeks. She took my bloods straight away and sent them to be checked. Anyway, then I went for my growth scan and when I came back half an hour later, I saw another doc and when he saw that my last platelet count was 69 in my notes, he asked me if I had been referred to a haemotoligist and I said no, so he wrote me a referreal letter straight away... but that was going off my last count of 69.

Anyway, this morning I rang my GP to get hold of my latest results as I treid all day yesterday at the hosp and couldn't get through to anyone in the relelvant dept! GP said they had gone down to 41! SO he told me to ring my consultant at the hosp and ask him what to do. So I tried calling and no joy. Then get a ohone call from hosp saying I have a haemotoligist app on the 28th of this month... so that's like in 3 weeks?? What if I give birth by then?? I don't know much about low platelets apart from what I've read... the docs haven't told me why they're low, what happens if they're low etc... so I don't really know how crucial they are. I've heard different things form different people about how low is dangerous. Anyway, I think certain facrtors when delivering are affected by low platelets like you can't have an epidural if you are below a certain level and a c-section is dangerous if you are below a certain level etc, but I don't know in much detail apart from the fact that if treatment is needed, it has to be sorted and birthing plans need to be made around it before I deliver, so I sooooooooo hope I don't give birth before this appointment! Well, I guess it might not be that urgent if they have given me an appointment so late. Is there anyone else who has had low platelets in pregnancy... if so, what treatment (if any) did you have? I did have low platelets in my last pregnancy but not this low, they went down to 78 but then went up just before I miscarried.

Another thing that is getting to me is that you know how you are supposed to have fortnightly antenatal check ups at this stage... well, my last one was with my midwife at the doc's surgery the Friday before last... so I should have had one this coming Friday but because of this growth scare thing, she referred me to the hosp last Fri and said ask there if they will carrying on checking me there instead of me going back to community midwife, so she never gave me an app for this week. Hosp said, carry on seeing community midwife apart from one hosp check up at 36 wks. So I rang to book in with comm midwife and they can't fit me in at all.... I mean not this week, not next week, not the week after... basically they are full for the next 4 weeks and I am 35 wks preggers tomorrow! So I ring the hosp back and try to make antenatal check app with them and they say I can't do that, I have to make one with my community midwife. Soooooooooo frustrating! And after what happened last time, they said they'd keep a closer eye on me this time... they can't even fit me in for an antenatal check up!!!

Right, what a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong post!!! Sorry ladies if I went on a bit... got to vent somewhere! Thanks for listening!

xxx

My beautiful baby son was born asleep at 19 weeks
7th October 2006 at 2.50 am
Love you!
xxx

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 1:22pm

crikey sweety!!! i would be going barmy at them!

wtf are they playing at???? X(

you need to get an appointment sorted, ok your mw might not be able to fit you in but could you ask her to contact the hospital and explain why they need to give you one, im sure they can fit you in....sounds to me like your m/w has got the hump and wont help.
or instead of phoning, actually go to the surgery and tell the receptionist you will not go away till you have an appointment to see someone!

how blummin frustrating for you!!!

hope you get it sorted soon hun, let us know how you get on...

:hugs: k xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 1:26pm

RE: LOW PLATELETS

Arrrgggghhhh what a nightmare ! I wish I knew about your problem so I could advise more.............all I know is with the things I've had problems with some times I have been seen really quickly and other times I've had to wait. This has led me to assume that 'they' know what is serious IYKWIM ?!

Regards the midwives app's, that's shocking really. I personally have to see my Gp and my midwife, depending on what my schedule says, eg 38 week app is with the GP. Both the GP and the midwife have always done the same checks so I would book a GP app and explain why you've had to do it that way ! They always been very good to me and I'm sure they will understand given your history.

Take care

xxxx

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 1:52pm

Update....

Firstly... platelets... just had a call from midwife saying that blood sample was clumped again which would make the platelets appear even fewer than they might be. Last time the blood was taken at GP's surgery and sent to hosp to be checked and on the way because of temperature as it was hot that day (that's what they said) it got clumped. However, this blood was taken at the hosp and and didn't need to travel anywhere but I guess because it was warm on Friday, it prob got clumped again. Anyway, so I have to go in to hosp tomorrow morning to give some more blood and have it checked out again! I HATE NEEDLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and as I couldn't get through to the hosp to find out results, I rang my GP who checked on his comp screen which apparently is different to the hospital one and doesn't give full information. The hospital screen came up with an error sign saying that the blood had clumped whereas the GP's one doesn't do that. That happened the last time my blood got clumped too. So that's why they probably haven't given me an urgent haemotoligist appointment or didn't call yesterday.

As far as midwife app goes... well, it was actually the surgery I rang and spoke to receptionist and she said they couldn't fit me in at all for the next 4 weeks. Just called one of the midwives up and told them about the situation so she has booked me in at another clinic, so that's good!

So you know how you mentioned that you see both your midwife and GP? Are you supposed to? I mean, I don't think I have seen my GP even once in this pregnancy. Also, do you see the same midwife? I see a different one every time. Don't think I've been seen by the same one twice so far.

Will update when I find out more.

xxx

Love you!
xxx

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 2:03pm

I hope you finally get some answers babypink.

I'm glad the midwife will see you also.

My schedule is

10 wks M/W
16 wks M/W
25 wks GP
28 wks M/W
31 wks GP
34 wks M/W
36 wks M/W
38 wks GP
40 wks M/W

I see the same midwife, is she's on leave then I just make the app a week before/after. Saying that I've had LOTS of extra apps ! and the CONS has asked me to see GP/mw in between seeing him.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Monday, September 17th 2007, 7:51pm

The problem if you really have such a low platelet count is that you are at extreme high risk of bleeding - as in haemorrhage - and it could happen no matter how you deliver. Remember that you need platelets in order for your blood to clot. If they HAVE to do a c-section they can give you an emergency transfusion of platelets to bring it up high enough to prevent a haemorrhage both before, during and/or after delivery. There are drugs that can bring the count up too, but I am not sure that they are safe to use until after bubs has been born.
Because of the bleeding risk you are unlikely to be allowed an epidural if that is truly your count and even a simple injection could cause a huge bruise.
Did you bruise badly when they drew your blood or take long to stop bleeding from the site they inserted the needle? IF so, that would be an indication that your count truly is low but if you stopped bleeding quickly and/or had barely any trace of a bruise then there is defnitely an error in the result of the tests.
Hun, I hope that all this gets sorted really soon as you are already pretty close to your due date and you need to know what treatment/actions may be needed during and after delivery.

My own problem was the oposite - my platelet count was normal during pregancy but tending a bit to the higher side. After C was born my count shot up to 750 and I ended up with a clot in one of the blood vessels of my retina and a resultant temporary loss of vision in the right eye...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Thursday, September 27th 2007, 12:31am

Hi Rene,

Well, I got told that the blood sample clotted on the way to the labs... so thats why it showed as having low platelets... (but then how would the blood clot if its low on platelets?! I dunno...) Anyway so they took some more blood and said the count came back as 99 as oppose to the last one which was 42. Last Friday they took some more blood but haven't got in touch with me about it so I guess the count can't be that bad. I have an appointment with the haemotoligist this Friday so see what he says and maybe thats why they didn't ring me with the results, as they'll probably give them to me then. I still have a bruise where they drew the blood out from on my arm last Friday. It didn't bleed for ages thoug. In fact there was just a drop or two on the cotton wool when I removed it, so maybe they're not that low? The doctor said that as long as they stay about where they are and don't drop too low, I should still be able to have an epidural if I want but the haemotoligist needs to confirm that. I am getting really nervous as I am now 37 weeks so can pop anytime! They also said that they would take my blood when I go into hospital in labour to check the situation of the platelets then. They did mention a possible platelet transfusion but only if they drop much lower. Will update on Friday.

Love you!
xxx

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Thursday, September 27th 2007, 8:50am

Good luck for Friday (is it Friday as in tomorrow ???).

Hope you get some resolve on this issue and make sure you update us.

Take care

xxxxx

ZIG

Ace

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Thursday, September 27th 2007, 9:21am

Oh for fxck's sake - what a palaver!!!! Poor you. The lack of communication and "customer care" in the NHS can be astounding. You need to write all of this down and get a really snotty letter sent to your NHS Trust CEO as well as the hospital manager etc. Because pre-natal care is a media hot potato at the mo, I would even consider contacting you local paper or tv/radio station about this, as you have been treated really shabbily.

There again, I bet you have run out of steam and just want to get on with having a safe delivery of a healthy baby.

Hope things settle and your next few weeks remain uneventful. Good luck for Friday (tomorrow?). At least the last doc you saw has devised some kind of plan. I would make sure it is highlighted in big letters on your birth plan and pg notes - "NB. LOW PLATELET LEVELS - CHECK WHEN LABOUR STARTS".

Zig x
Me 38, DH 44. 2002-2004 2x ICSI's, 1x egg donation. Changed clinics for own eggs ICSI/tx no.4 - BFP 27/4/05! Mummy to Isabella after early c-section 15/12/05, due to LLP. Baby No.2 (huge 'natural' surprise!) Ruby Olivia arrived 29/09/07 via emergency c-section.

Friday, September 28th 2007, 4:27am

Yes Csam and Zig, the appointment is tomorrow, well in a few hours! Yes I am thinking I just want my baby here safe and sound. I will make sure I have low platelets written on my notes in bold capitals and get hubby to mention it to them as soon as I go in! Lets say what haemo says tomorrow. Will update.

xx

Love you!
xxx

Friday, September 28th 2007, 11:36am

Just been to see the haemotoligist. he was a bit like, 'well what are you doing here kind of thing???' He said he didn't know why I had been referred to him as my platelets were fine. He gavce me the results for the blood test which was taken last Friday and the platelets were 62 so they had dropped since the last test a week ago which read 99 but he said they weren't low... my blood just doean't clot inside me but does once its in the bottle(???) and that the clots in the sample gave false readings and that everything's fine. So he said just for reassurance he is gonna take some more blood and have it done in another bottle in which it shouldn't clot so should give accurate readings so thats what he did and he said I should have the results at the my next cons appointment next Fri. So I dunno what the big thing is or was with these platelets... just worried all this time for no reason. I'm just fed up of all these panick attacks and just want to try and enjoy these last couple of days or weeks of my pregnancy and have a healthy bobo at the end of it!

Love you!
xxx

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Friday, September 28th 2007, 11:43am

?( ?( !!!

It just seems like the more people you see the more confused things get !

Anyway I'm glad things seem ok and yes, I really really hope you can enjoy the last few weeks without any more stress !!

Take care

xxxxx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE