You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "gayle1803" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "gayle1803" started this thread

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Tuesday, December 26th 2006, 6:58pm

Ultrasound machines?

Do any of you have any thoughts on whether some clinics have better ultrasound machines or better nurses to carry our ultrasounds? My reason for asking this question is we went for our 6 weeks scan on Fridya and saw the fetal sack it was about 1.2cm, the nurse took a while to find the heartbeat but eventually did but evertime I moved slightly or she moved we lost it again!. Do you think this is down to poor old equipement or maybe lack of experinece of the nurses behalf!. The clinic we are attending is very small with minimal facilities and has only been actually performing IVF treatments since 2003. I have just watched a pre recorded episode from Child against all odds which showed a early scan ( they didnt actually say how far but aasuming 6-7 weeks) but the fetal heartbeat was continually on the screen it wasnt lost once!. I am now starting to panic!!
Any ifo or past experience anyone has would be gratefully aggreciated

Many Thanks

• "spangle" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Tuesday, December 26th 2006, 10:21pm

Yes, here is an example, when pg with twins i went to a EPU and had several scans, everything was looking great, i went to my clinic and they said there was a problem with the sizes and to expect to lose them both, i looked at the paper work i got from the EPU and the clinic had measured them smaller than what they were the week before!! i went back a week later, different sonographer and they were perfect and there was no problem.

I went for a scan at a maternity unit and the picture was grainy and had to see.

I went for another scan at another epu this time at a differnt hospital and the picture was so clear, every detail could be seen!

I think it makes a huge difference, think of it as a digital camera, if you used a 1mp one you would noptice the difference, you would make out the picture but the detail would be useless!

I know it is hard but as you are so early in pg they really cant get a good measurment, they only have to click on the sac slightly in to measure it and you have lost a mm or 2. If she kept losing the sac on screen then she dosent sound like a particually skilled technichian

Good luck
10 IVF's 4 FET
4 PG all ended in m/c
Mummy to 5 angels

Maddy777

• "Maddy777" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 10th 2006

Tuesday, December 26th 2006, 10:47pm

The machines vary as do the skills of the sonographers or nurses. I have to have my scans at the big maternity unit in town rather than our local community hospital because my consultant and m/w said the machines are better and provide higher quality scans. They pick up far more details.

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Wednesday, December 27th 2006, 7:57am

There are a lot of contributing factors though not just the machines, for instance gas and excess fluid can also distort the images. If they had a poor quality machine that still picked up a heartbeat at 6 weeks though that really should be reassuring that your baby is fine! The fetal sac being 1.2cm at the moment, contains amniotic fluid, and your baby at the moment is as small as an apple pip, and yet they have still managed to find that flashing little dot that tells you he is ok 8)

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

• "gayle1803" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "gayle1803" started this thread

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Wednesday, December 27th 2006, 8:53am

Thanks girls, I dont know if it makes a difference but I am still recovering from Moderate OHSS which I developed 7 days after transfer and still have some fluid in my abdomen so I am hoping that that contributed to it. She never lost the sac at any point as that was quiet noticable it was just the heartbeat thats was so small.

Thanks again for the reassurace

Oh does the worry ever stop!!!!

Gayle
xxx

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Wednesday, December 27th 2006, 9:42am

NO!! It gets worse, but its so worth it!!! :D

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *