You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "rianon" started this thread

Reg: May 30th 2010

Friday, November 4th 2011, 7:00pm

Getting ready for natural IVF

After a failed IVF cycle my husband and I decided that I will not put myself through a stimulation ever again. TTC naturally or doing IUI is sadly out of the question so we decided to go for the next best thing: natural IVF. At the moment we are waiting for our follow up appointment so not even sure whether clinic will offer this to us (they do natural IVF in theory but very reluctant in reality) but we are quite determined.

In the meantime I would like to get ready and get to know my body as well as possible. I also have a couple of questions which I will ask my consultant but would be nice to be prepared beforehand. I never TTC-d naturally in my life so only have a vague idea. I think my period is around 30-31 days long as it usually falls on the same day of the month, very easy to remember :-) So here are the questions:

1) How do I measure ovulation? I heard of ovulation kits, temperature, cervical mucus how do these work and where can i get a good enough ovulation kit and thermometer?
2) What will clinic do? Will they do scans and blood test or just let me tell them ovulation is close? In how big a time frame can they collect the egg, can it cause problems if i ovulate during the night? (assuming they don't work during the night) I suppose there must be a longer time frame after all in medicated IVF they collect more eggs and although not are at the same growth stage many of them are mature enough to work with.
3) Will I have to take progesterone and estrogen as I had to after medicated IVF? Why are these two hormones not poduced in an IVF pregnancy?

Thanks for reading,
Rianon

taxihome

United Kingdom

Friday, November 4th 2011, 11:39pm

Hi Hon

I am sorry your TX didnt work this time.
This was a big consideration for us & who knows, may still be. However I dont think you can get ICSI with natural as too risky. I may be wrong.
We also considered mild IVF which involved taking clomid to get 1 or 2 mature eggs.

I think they just monitor you with scans like in conventional IVF & just pluck that egg out when it is ready.
We looked at a clinic called Create Health. Might be worth a look on their website for some info.
xx

[zx071]
2 x man boys -MC,Ectopic IVF x 4 Natural BFP/Born sleeping 22/WksRIP LO
Jan/11:ICSI:BFP: bab21 [zx115] Our dream has finally come true
MY DIARY

Saturday, November 5th 2011, 10:54am

Thank you dear Taxi for your reply I can always count on you wherever I ask my question :-) I sent an e-mail to my consultant who set up an appointment date however he didn't reply so I don't know if it is a yes or no. If it is a no we will surely try to find another clinic however it is not easy as we need genetic testing which kind of ties us to our first clinic forever. Because of the genetic testing we also need ICSI as they want the embryo to be very clear with no other sperms potentislly clinging to it. So I really hope they will be prepared to do natural with ICSI if not than I really don't know what's next.

In the meantime I am off to by some ovulation kits do you think my GP would do some blood tests for me for extra monitoring or do I need to get a referral from the fertility clinic?

xx Rianon

taxihome

United Kingdom

Saturday, November 5th 2011, 12:02pm

Hi Hon.

I forget you need that extra genetic factor as well.
Would you consider mild with ICSI -t hat way you have 2-5 eggs hopefuly to play with.i am sure your clinic will offer icsi in your case with 1 egg anyway.

Go and see your GP. I am sure he will help and should def if your clinic stated what tests you needed.

Good luck hon.
We are going to ttc naturaly for a while.

Xxx

[zx071]
2 x man boys -MC,Ectopic IVF x 4 Natural BFP/Born sleeping 22/WksRIP LO
Jan/11:ICSI:BFP: bab21 [zx115] Our dream has finally come true
MY DIARY

Saturday, November 5th 2011, 1:09pm

That sounds like fun good luck :-) xx

Reg: Nov 20th 2008

Children: Fingers crossed x

Saturday, November 5th 2011, 1:58pm

Hi Rianon,

I haven't heard of natural IVF but just wanted to wish you the best of luck which ever route you choose xx
Never give up on your dreams...they do come true.
ICSI #8, Anna born 26/2/14....the most amazing gift in the world x

• "Hopeful_Helen" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Nov 29th 2011

Children: Not just yet!

Friday, December 2nd 2011, 10:02pm

Hi Rianon,

I don't know anything about natural IVF I'm afraid, but I thought I'd share what I know about testing for ovulation. I do most methods: temperature charting, ovulation predictor kits (OPKs), cervical mucus (CM) monitoring, and cervix position (CP) monitoring. I have also just started using the Clear Blue Fertility Monitor but haven't used it enough to test its accuracy yet.

Temperature charting (BBT) is by far the best method of testing whether ovulation has occurred, but cannot tell youwhen ovulation is about to happen, just that it has. Using a digital thermometer, take your temperature as soon as you wake up - put it next to your bed as you need to move as little as possible to get an accurate reading. You will find that your temperature will drop on the day ovulation occurs and then rises and stays high throughout your luteal phase (LP). Since your temperature will naturally fluctuate it is possibly to have numerous 'dips' before you notice a rise - it is this rise that confirms ovulation. I would recommend the Fertility Friend website if you plan to chart your BBT - it's easy and free to set up and takes all the guesswork out of charting. I have the app on my iPhone and it is very easy to use.

OPKs can be relatively cheap depending on the type you use. I use strip tests available on the Internet and Clear Blue digital OPKs that present you with a :) ! OPKs measure LH, which rises typically 24-36 hours before ovulation. So when you get your smiley face or positive strip test it's time to BD! I use these from CD 10 since my cycles are so erratic, and don't stop using then until I know for sure I've ovulated. One thing to remember is that the strip tests aren't like HPTs, where the test line only shows if you are pregnant: with OPKs you will always have a test line as there is always LH to some degree in your system. You are looking for a test line that is darker than or the same as the control line.

CM is quite simple to chart and can be done at the same time as a CP or when you wipe after using the toilet. The CM you want is called EWCM and resembles egg whites. EWCM can be stretched far between your thumb and forefinger before breaking - this shouldn't be confused with semen, which may have the appearance of EWCM but does not stretch as far. From menses you would expect to be dry, then begin to experience sticky and creamy CM before you experience watery and EWCM - both of which are potentially fertile. If you visit the Fertility Friend website it is possible to download an excellent ebook that details all of this and is free.

I find CP the hardest method of charting ovulation, and as a rule it shouldn't be the only method you use. Also, some ladies don't feel comfortable doing it. It should be done at the same time each day, and you should note whether your cervix position is high, medium or low, and whether the texture is firm, medium or soft. A firm cervix feels like the tip of your nose; a soft cervix feels like your lip. When you're fertile your high, soft and open - a few days before your period is due you would expect it to be low, firm and closed. It can take a few months to become familiar with the different stages of your CP - I have been doing it for 8 months (only about 4 cycles!) and only now feel comfortable noting doing my CP. So, as I say, don't use this as your primary method. If you use Fertility Friend you will have the option of entering all this data in as well as your temperature.

I hope this helps you choose the best methods for you - good luck! X x x
DEIVF June/July '12 :pray:

babydust

Monday, December 5th 2011, 5:06pm

Hi Pennyqueen thank you very much for your well wishes. We both need some luck don't we :-) xx

Hi Hopeful Helen,
wow what a wonderful description thank you so much! Far better than all the websites I read as for one most didn't say when exactly ovulation is in temperature charting, they only said it is sometimes before the rise. But now i know it is at the dip before the rise :) I love making charts so already made a little chart myself :) How are you doing Helen? I hope your dream is close!

Natural IVF if anyone is interested (but i rather you guys just have natural BFP-s) is just like "normal" IVF, without stimulation. They take out the only one egg produced and fertilise it with a sperm and than transfer back. It is not really recommended especially not for me where we lose half (or more) of our embryos due to genetic reasons. But our last cycle got me thinking. Is having 30 crap eggs really better than having 1 good???

love,
Rianon

• "Hopeful_Helen" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Nov 29th 2011

Children: Not just yet!

Monday, December 5th 2011, 5:38pm

Glad I could help Rianon! This is all info that I've found after hours of searching the Internet and through my own observations. I am waiting to be referred to an infertility clinic for IUI or IVF - whichever is the most suitable for me.

Wishing you all the best x x x
DEIVF June/July '12 :pray:

babydust

Reg: Dec 3rd 2014

Wednesday, December 3rd 2014, 12:47pm

"NATURAL IVF" success stories please

I really want to be assured this is the right path and no one can do that. So much can go wrong - top 2 for me are early ovulation (or late collection!) and largest egg not being necessarily the best. These fear are based on experience, on lots of it. Please someone tell me they had similar experience and succedeed with natural. I think my infertility is a good candidate for natural iff, but these two hiccups are so real. ;( (8 o)

Reg: Apr 27th 2012

Children: One beautiful boy. Centre of our world.

Thursday, December 4th 2014, 11:02am

hello

my son is the result of 'Mild IVF'. I did have stims, but only 125iu. We also needed ICSI.

I haven't had a problem with early ovulation but there were some drugs to prevent this, and I did have the final maturation trigger shot.

Perhaps by natural you mean completely drug-free? I think this is feasible, but having done mild and standard, I would say that there is little difference in terms of the emotional stress - you are still waiting on follicles, on fertilisation, etc - but the physical benefits were there. One thing - I had two mild cycles where I didn't get any embryos at all as the eggs collected were too immature. This would be my biggest concern. I think early ovulation is something that is less likely, but it seems that you have experience that proves otherwise?

Wishing you well

xxx
One beautiful boy born in 2010 but multiple attempts for a sibling very sadly had to stop.

Reg: Dec 3rd 2014

Thursday, December 11th 2014, 11:06pm

Natural

My problem is diminished reserve. Tried 6 IVFs, 4 long protocol and 2 mild. Can't get more than 4 eggs retrieved, 2 DOA, 1 no good, 1 fertilises, but not good quality embryo. I had meds to slow ovulation, but still I early ovulated in one mild ivf, could collect only one egg.
Mild IVFs seemed slightly better, they produced eggs that fertilised, and that were (said to be) good quality, which were Implanted with FET. No results.
The funny (still can use this word, I must be slow, not understanding the consequences of failed attempts! anyway) thing is the bad embryo they caught through long protocol turned to pregnancy, the type that lasts 2 weeks ;(
Since my eggs reflect me and cannot be made to do something they don't want to, are stubborn and I end up with one embryo however much they are stimulated, why not no drugs ivf, natural? Also, again, they are like me, in a hurry, they grow too quick. One day, doc says "good, growing, 13. Next day, s/he says, "oops, it is 20, we may lose it, quick ovitrelle, now!".
I am tired. Thank you

Reg: May 14th 2018

Wednesday, May 23rd 2018, 12:46am

hi there. I hope you are doing great. I really like women supporting each other through these forums. I think IVF is a great process. it's a painful process. you should be strong through it. you should not stress at all as in can be bad for you. you should eat healthily and work out on a daily basis. I hope it turns out well for you.