You are not logged in.

Unread posts

• "Tab" started this thread

Reg: Jul 15th 2014

Tuesday, April 14th 2015, 9:20pm

Window replacement & pregnant worried about lead

I'm stressing again! We're having our v old windows replaced next week and after a bit if googling re dust and chemicals used in glue etc I've gone completely paranoid about potential lead being disturbed and lead dust in the house.
My husband spoke to the window fitters who said there isn't any led, but they don't know that so it's worrying me even more that they're not taking concerns seriously. A few of the windows are from 1929 and so lead paint may be on the frames.
I was going to stay at my folks for the week whilst work is being completed but they have come down with an awful illness so I want to steer clear from there. And as much as I love my husband I'm not confident that he will properly Hoover and wash down surfaces after works are complete.
Other than buying LOADS of plastic dust sheets and putting them everywhere I'm not sure what to do!
Arrrrggggh! Anyone with any advice/experience?

Reg: Nov 3rd 2014

What's Up?
Pink twins on board :-)

Tuesday, April 14th 2015, 9:26pm

Hi Tab, I don't have any experience of this at all, but I would imagine that the window fitters should be clued up on lead and chemicals that might be released during fitting new windows. I Would hope that they are trained in a way where they must be aware of that kind of stuff and if anybody would be at risk by this. That's my hope anyway, although as I say I don't really know much about this kinda stuff. I do know it's hard not to worry about stuff. Why don't you speak to him again and let him know how worried you are and see if he can reassure your bit more xx
Ttc 7 yrs
Immune issues.
3 iui BFN.
IVF Nov 14 BFP :give_heart: :give_heart: It's TWINS!

2 beautiful girls arrived 8/6/2015, 7 weeks early but perfect. Kayla Grace 4lb1 and Sophia Faith 4lb 3.

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

gardenia (16.04.2015)

Reg: Apr 27th 2012

Children: One beautiful boy. Centre of our world.

Tuesday, April 14th 2015, 10:43pm

Hi Tab

I can understand your concern. I didn't want to do anything DIY-related when I was pregnant/doing IVF due to similar concerns (paint fumes etc.)

Why don't you ring your environmental health department at your local council? They would know best. We did this when we were concerned about an asbestos garage that was degrading very near to our house and to our yard (where our son played). They were able to put our minds at ease.

I don't think you are silly to try and protect yourself when pregnant. It is understandable.

Jenny x
One beautiful boy born in 2010 but multiple attempts for a sibling very sadly had to stop.

Reg: Aug 18th 2009

Children: One beautiful, healthy son. Identical twin boys born too soon, sleep tightxxx

What's Up?
One very happy lady :) xx

Wednesday, April 15th 2015, 5:55pm

Hi ya we had our windows replaced that did have lead in the paint whilst I was pregnant and in the house. The window fitters used a extractor thing. I asked about the risks etc and they said that they have to use this method if there is lead for the fitters (as the risk is high for them if not) and they have reglular blood tests to check their lead levels. IF they think their is lead they will not risk their health anymore than they would yours. Please do not worry xxx
6x cycles of clomid bfn
2X iui bfn
1x ivf - identical triplets - miscarried triplet at 9 weeks, lost my other two beautiful boys at 23 weeks - passed away shortly after birth 17th June 2010.
4x FET 1 early loss
1 natural early loss.
2011 Nov immune cycle FET bfn
2012 Jan immune cycle ivf bfp baby7 Ds arrived safely 1/10/12 : D
2013 Aug immune cycle FET bfp confirmed miscarriage at 8 weeks
2014 Jan immune cycle bfn
2014 April immune cycle bfn.
2014 July fet bfp ❤️ seen at 7,9 and 11 weeks

Reg: Apr 27th 2015

Tuesday, May 26th 2015, 3:27pm

I would maybe call them again and express them ypour concerns. But as Louise mentioned they wouldn't take their own health to risk.