You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

sasha146

• "sasha146" started this thread

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Thursday, February 13th 2014, 10:08am

Persistant coughing

Hiya

I'm in need of some advice/suggestions, my ds is almost 19 months, 5 weeks ago he had croup and was given steroids to help which it did with the croup cough but 5 weeks down the line he's still coughing, it's mostly at night but he does cough during the day as well, I took him back to the dr last week ego gave us another dose of steroids but the cough is still here, the dr didn't seem concerned as the chest was clear but I don't think this is normal and the coughing is causing my ds to wake up at least once during the night and is causing a disturbed sleep for myself and dh.

I've tried calpol and cough medicine, I no a lot of people say that doesn't work and yes it doesn't stop the coughing but for my ds it certainly stops fits of coughing.

Has anyone else experienced this that can offer advice on what to do next? I'd this normal and something that just needs to run its course

Thanks in advance

X
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, February 13th 2014, 7:26pm

Go back to the doctors.

My LO had a persistent cough and was diagnosed with asthma. They put her on a steroid inhaler and a salbutamol which did the trick. However the steroid wasn't controlling it so she has ended up on seretide which is a mixture of the steroid and a long acting reliever.

Symptoms of asthma can be just a cough, especially at night. My LO's only symptom was a cough and a very occasional wheeze.

But it could be anything, and you should definitely go back. Maybe ask for a salbutamol and see if that helps at all. It's not good if the cough is causing waking at night.

Hope he gets better soon.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

sasha146

What's Up?

Thursday, February 13th 2014, 9:25pm

Thanks flic

He has a runny nose so I no the dr will just say it's a cold and send me away and yes it might just be he's been unlucky getting one cold after another following the croup but as you no it's hard not to fret about it, today we had two coughing fits that resulted in him being sick and I can hear him coughing on the baby monitor and he's only been in bed since half 7, I feel so sorry for him because he's constantly tired and not very happy which just isn't like him

X
ME 30 DH 37

bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, February 13th 2014, 11:01pm

Have you tried propping him up a bit more in bed so he's not flat?

He shouldn't be making himself sick with the cough. Tell the doctor that he's being sick because he's coughing so much. The lack of sleep isn't good either. X

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Saturday, February 15th 2014, 4:55pm

hi sasha
my son was coughing like that for 12 months! he also had a.snotty nose, was propped up at night and he coughed so much he vomitted every time and didnt put any weight on for a.year! he coughed/vomitted every time he was.active and never had a tempreture. finally after a year of "its a viral infection, nothing more" i complained to the branch manager as i had said previously "i think its asthma" and the dr said "you are only a mum, what do you know?". i got an appointment arranged by the surgery for an hour after the branch manager had read my complaint. 1 double appointment later, confirmed its asthma, put on blue for a.week to relieve symptoms and brown (preventer) a week later. 3 months after he had increased his weight by approx 3/4 of a stone. he now hardly ever coughs. i am not trying to frighten you, but please dont let the doctors fob you off if you believe theyre wrong. it might nit be asthma, but if youve done propping up and everything else and it still persisting, then insist the doctors take you seriously. as i remarked to the doctor "i may not be medically trained, but i AM his mum and i know him inside out. and you are wrong saying its a viral infection"

good luck and i hope he gets better soon

xxxxxxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

sasha146

What's Up?

Saturday, February 15th 2014, 7:37pm

Thanks girls

I think I no deep down it's not asthma I think he just seems to catch everything under the sun and following the croup he's caught a few colds however I do agree he maybe needs an inhaler for night time just to help him get over it, I've propped him up on a pillow which helps but he doesn't always stay on it I have also purchased a calpol humidifier plug in thing to see if that helps, weds will be 6 weeks of coughing which seems like nothing compared to 12 months that must have been awful but thankfully ds is a big boy and seems fine running walking etc and not coughing but nights just seem to be the issue
I'll keep use posted on the outcome I'm sure my gp thinks I overact to my ds not being well anyone so one more trip won't surprise them lol

X
ME 30 DH 37

bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, February 15th 2014, 7:39pm

That could be all it takes, just an inhaler to relax his airways a bit at night.

I know what you mean about the falling down off the pillows.

Saturday, February 15th 2014, 10:51pm

I am going through EXACTLY the same thing with my 8 month old. He had croup a month ago and has coughed ever since. He had steroids for the croup and it seemed to settle, but I took him back after 2 weeks when he was still coughing. They said he had ear infection in both ears and he got antibiotics. They didn't work and he got really sick with high temp etc, so I took him back and he got different antibiotics. We finished those at the end of lay week, but he is still waking coughing a LOT. I almost think it sounds like there is fluid as when I pick him up and pat his back he swallows. I will be so interested to hear how you get on as it sounds exactly the same as what we are dealing with. I'm taking my DS back to the Dr on Monday. My sisters little girl had something similar and asthma was diagnosed, but I'm hoping that isn't the case. Xx

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Saturday, February 15th 2014, 11:02pm

My DD1 is a persistent cougher. She's recently been given strong antacids that have worked for her, it seems she's been suffering from silent reflux for nearly 3 years! However she still gets a bad cough with a cold so there are other things you can do to ease the cough. Menthol vapour rub on the soles of the feet with socks over the top helps as nutty as it's sounds, try it, it's worth a shot. Put pillows under the mattress to prop it up a bit more, a damp tea towel on the radiator with olbas oil dripped onto it, if the heating isn't on we us a hot bowl of water with menthol crystals which does the same sort of thing.

Good luck and hope you find a cure.

xxx

Sunday, February 16th 2014, 12:23am

Interestingly Polly my DS had bad reflux. Although he's not on medication now and I don't think is in pain, I often think he still has it. I just hope the Dr takes us seriously. I've been back and fore so much. Xx

sasha146

What's Up?

Sunday, February 16th 2014, 1:42pm

Hi girls

Polly pocket my ds had reflux and silent reflux but doesn't take anything for it now

Well last night I propped him up on 2 pillows instead of one, the heating had been off all day, I had opened his window during the day until tea time and used the calpol plug in thing and he only coughed once and that was going to bed, I'm hoping this isn't a one of and something I'm doing is working

X
ME 30 DH 37

bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE