You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "WESTMIDSGIRL" started this thread

Reg: Aug 16th 2012

Children: We have a beautiful little girl and a boy now expecting another little one

Wednesday, April 17th 2013, 12:23pm

Do hospitals clear baby's nose/mouth now or not?

I am really worried about this as when my daughter was born almost 6years ago they never cleared her airways and she was choking really badly on the first night we were home she was coughing up all horrible mucus and going blue and red... I remember calling the hospital and they said it was ok and normal as they don't clear baby's airways anymore but I know several people that have had babys since then and said they did clear their baby's airways... They may say it is ok but it is extremely upsetting and worrying seeing your baby not even a day old choking just worried it may be the case again although I am having this baby at a different hospital. Do you think it depends on different hospitals? X
1 DD born Oct 07 8lb 5 oz***** 3 Miscarriages at 15, 14 and 5 weeks****1 DS born july 13 8lb 9oz***1DD born Aug 14 7lb 11oz!

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Wednesday, April 17th 2013, 1:38pm

I think it is the norm that they dont clear babies airways. I am sure the midwife told me why but I cant remember.

If you have any worries might be worth talking to your midwife.xxx

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

Children: We have a beautiful little girl and a boy now expecting another little one

Wednesday, April 17th 2013, 2:16pm

Thanks I will do when I see her next which won't be for another good few wks just found it strange as all my nephews had theirs cleared and there was nothing wrong with them and as for my daughter she never even cried or coughed or anything an they never did anything about it so I don't know lol x
1 DD born Oct 07 8lb 5 oz***** 3 Miscarriages at 15, 14 and 5 weeks****1 DS born july 13 8lb 9oz***1DD born Aug 14 7lb 11oz!

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Wednesday, April 17th 2013, 2:28pm

Hi, Hun
I think they assess the baby's needs. Generally they will not do so. Most babies clear this themselves during a normal birth and to suction a baby could possible injure their very tender mouth and nose mucosae even if it is only with a hand-held soft-tip bulb "sucker". If the baby is having trouble breathing while in hospital or there is definite mucous bubbling at nose and/or mouth just after birth they will suction...
If a baby does not cough or gurgle then it would indicate that their airways are clear enough for them to cope and not all babies cry at birth. My son was 100% ok, delivered by c-section, did not need suction. He cried for literally a second or two - just a squeak of protest at being yanked out of his nice warm home into the operating room and then did not cry again for a good while and yet had apgars of 9 and 10...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Net

Reg: Apr 10th 2010

Children: Two beautiful daughtersr - thank you Guys hospital

Wednesday, April 17th 2013, 4:07pm

They didn't when I had my LO in Feb. she was very mucousy for about six weeks afterwards which scared rthe living day lights out of me. They did suction the baby next to me who was a c section and being sick with mucous though.
NET

ICSI Feb 2011-:BFP: m/c
FET Aug11 & Nov 11 - cancelled pre ET
FET May 2012- :BFP:
DD born Feb 2013
FET Feb 2015 :BFP:
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Wednesday, April 17th 2013, 6:13pm

thats what happened to my daughter she was coughing it all out on the night was vile! lol and she didnt cry either i thought they had to cry to clear their own airways also i went home 3hours after having her cuz didnt wanna stay in hospital they checked her an.said she was fine an that when we was going tho x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "WESTMIDSGIRL" (Apr 17th 2013, 6:16pm)