You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 23rd 2011

Monday, January 23rd 2012, 11:14pm

wow I just looked up and calculated the price off all the vits and mins I'd ideally like to start taking and for approx 3 months supply it is a whopping £105.29 and that is including 3 for 2 from tesco and buy a 2nd for 1p at H&B! Ok need to restrict the list as there is no way i can afford that :-(

Reg: Dec 25th 2009

Children: One Angel son 15.5.11 and a Rainbow baby son 13.10.12

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 7:59am

Hi Lightning, which vits were you thinking of getting? X
1st PGD cycle Dec 2010 - BFP + four frozen

Sadly we lost our precious son 12.5.11
Hopefully I'll be a mummy again soon...

FET Jan/Feb 2012 :BFP: !
xfingers:pray:xfingers
Hopeful2010
xxxxxxxx

United Kingdom

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 1:40pm

Hey hun, I took the info from this link AngelBumps' Fertility Protocol!!!

and going to try to take as many as I can will need to try to sort out what I may be able to miss out and also see what I have in the house as hubby is a bit of a vitamin maniac lol

How are you doing?
xx

rianon

Reg: May 30th 2010

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 8:11pm

Hello PGD Ladies,

Hi Hopeful you are soo good and patient it is already a half week gone. How are you feeling? I hope it is all the same as last time at this stage. Fingers crossed.

Gingerbean it is wonderful that your appointment went so positive. It is good to go to Guys as they have a lot of expertise and they will let you use a satellite clinic closer to you so you don't have to travel that much after all. I am with CRGH but they gave us the option of starting our probes at the same time as applying for funding. We took the risk of paying oursleves but it worked out in the end. Our probes took a whole year to finish so it is good we did not have to wait for the funding in addition.

Wow-wow-wow I am so gald it went well Whiteangel how did the kids react? Hope you ofsted thing went well too.

Hi Lightning and Hope it seems we might be joining you in April. Fingers crossed for all 3 of us. I am going to be quite relaxed this time, no vitamins (apart from folic acid) or healthy diet nothing, just go with the flow.

xxx Rianon

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 1st 2009

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 8:30pm

Lightening - I've been taking pregnacare + since 3 months before treatment and carrying on through my pregnancy. I've found them cheapest on Amazon, apart from when Boots sent me a money off voucher on top of their 3 for 2. Ofsted exhausting. Going to bed now, same again tomorrow, then bra shopping! xx
My blog - PGD
OTD 27/11/11 :BFP:
[zx076] seen 19/12/11 7w+2 9w+3 12w+2

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 9:21pm

:hello:

Wow Lightening that is a very long list! I only took Pregnacare, plus calcium/vit D because I dislike so many dairy products I definitely don't get enough from my diet. Maybe check with your doctors regarding which would be better to take/leave out, as some vitamins do react with the drugs sometimes prescribed for treatment. Hopefully that will help a little ?(

Hi rianon! You are very sweet, thank you for asking of me. I'm ok, I think I'm starting to get symptoms but I don't want to read too much into them as it's only 4 days since the ET (day 5 embryo)... I hope this little embryo is doing well in there! Best of luck with your April cycle dear, I'm liking the relaxed approach :)

Hi Whiteangel, how long are Ofsted observing for? Hope they go soon! :snigger: Have fun bra shopping, be prepared to be shocked!

Hopeful2010
xxxxxxxx

Reg: Aug 2nd 2010

Wednesday, January 25th 2012, 2:03pm

Hi All
I am currently having my PGD treatment - started sniffing on the 13th (it was a friday... hope it isn't a bad omen) so I thought I would say hi to you all. I've read the last few pages and am keeping my fingers crossed to you all waiting for treatment that it comes round quickly.
x

United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 25th 2012, 2:53pm

Hi and welcome hopeful123 wishing you the best of luck with your cycle xx

Wednesday, January 25th 2012, 7:14pm

A very big welcome to you fellow Hopeful! :D I hope your treatment goes as smoothly as possible. xfingers it will only be good omens for you. x

Hopeful2010
xxxxxxxx

Thursday, January 26th 2012, 8:25am

Thank you :)

Feeling a bit emotional about it all this week - blame the hormones I guess!! Part of me wants to give up as don't think I will be able to deal with the disappointment if it doesn't work :( Hopefully I'll feel better next week when my AF stops lol :D

Thursday, January 26th 2012, 8:26am

Oh and Hopeful2010 sorry I realised I've got the same user name as you... sorry xx

Friday, January 27th 2012, 12:16am

Don't apologise, it's a brilliant user name! :D

I'm considering a change eventually as it's no longer 2010, but have to think of another one first ?( ?(

Hopeful2010
xxxxxxxx

nds

Reg: Jul 13th 2009

Children: A little girl following IVF/PGD (fresh cycle) born in Feb11

Friday, February 3rd 2012, 9:44am

Funding

Hello PGD ladies!

I haven't been on for a while because I was lucky enough to have a little DD... I really wish you to be successful and as lucky as I have been!
I am now thinking of number two but I've just been told that I would have to fund it myself as it would be for a second child! Did any of you have the same issue? I don't understand as surely caring for a child with genetic issues is much more expensive for the NHS than a cycle of IVF/PGD and the issue is not a fertility one but a genetics one! Any views?

Thank you,
NDS
Nat

Friday, February 3rd 2012, 9:55am

Ah congratulations :) So happy for you!

We were refused funding so are having to pay for the first cycle ourselves - apparently our local PCT didn't think our circumstances were anything out of the ordinary... though I was told that even if we were granted funding if we were successful we would have to fund future treatment.

Did you manage to have any spare eggs to freeze? I know the cost of implanting is a lot less than full PGD (around £850 instead of £9,000!)

nds

Friday, February 3rd 2012, 10:14am

Hi Hopeful,

Thank you for your message. I find it so awful that they did not pay for the funding. Surely, if you require PGD, the condition is serious enough to want to prevent it! We were lucky with our first cycle, although our baby is a carrier and should not have been if the protocols had been followed and will suffer like I do as a result... and will require PGD when she wants a family and will probably have to pay for it too! Grrrrrr! We had two frozen embies and one did not thaw well and the second is frozen with a carrier and they don't know which one is which so would have to thaw them, and re-run the PGD assays, i.e. almost 0% chance of it surviving thawing, plus the test and then hatching in me (they are already blastocysts)!! Sniff, this has been a nightmare from start to finish, and I feel so guilty to have passed on a disease that I did not want to pass on! I cry everytime I think about it. I wanted my little girl to be free from this! We had even said that we'd prefer not to have a family at all than to passing it on! And now we want a second one so that she is not a single child... I have been made redundant so £9000 would be very hard to get!

NDS x
Nat

Friday, February 3rd 2012, 10:34am

I know - it's a total postcode lottery. They did say we could reapply for funding if we weren't successful this time round. We definitely can't afford to fund a 2nd round of treatment - this is our house deposit we're spending!

We have an alternative route to try if it doesn't work which is CVS testing at 11 weeks, but I didn't want to try that route unless as a last resort as don't like the thought of terminating :( My husband has the Huntington Disease gene, so any children we have have a 50:50 chance of inheriting. So I've been told, this is one of the more easier conditions to identify when they test the embryos as they will either have the gene or not, and if not then they won't be carriers of the condition either. Fingers crossed they get the testing right!

Sorry to hear the hospital messed up with your treatment and your daughter is a carrier. Is it worth contacting the PCT as the hospital did mess up on your first round and maybe get funding as compensation? X

Friday, February 3rd 2012, 10:38pm

Hi nds, I know funding can be rather complicated... You'd think they'd see it as helping to improve the health of future children and like you said saving money as they don't need to treat a sick child. It's not just our first pregnancies that are at risk, it's all of them!

We tested today following our FET and it's another :BFP: ! I'm so pleased and thankful to be expecting again, though of course it still doesn't feel real just yet. I really hope we get to hold our healthy, noisy baby in another 8 months xfingers :pray:

Hopeful2010
xxxxxxxx

United Kingdom

Saturday, February 4th 2012, 9:18am

:congrats:
My blog - PGD

Reg: Apr 14th 2009

Children: Blessed with a wee girl on 12.03.10 xxxxxxxxxxx

Saturday, February 4th 2012, 1:34pm

Hello everyone, I haven't read all the recent posts but I see that some of you are pregnant which is great news. I will hopefully get the chance over the next couple of weeks to get up to date with everything. I just wanted to let you all know that we had a beautiful baby boy on Monday, weighing 7lb 14oz. We have named him Jackson. I can't believe how lucky we are to be given such beautiful, healthy children.

Natalie x
Natalie

1ST ICSI/PGD - JUNE 2009 = :BFP:

2nd ICSI/PGD - MAY 2011 = :BFP:

Reg: Mar 27th 2011

Saturday, February 4th 2012, 1:44pm

Lovely news today! Congrats Hopeful2010 - so happy for you :) :)

NAT - Congrtulations on the birth of Jacskon - you give me hope
xxxx

Saturday, February 4th 2012, 4:38pm

Thanks Whiteangel and Hope2011! :hugs:

Thank you and congratulations to you too Nat!! I hope you and your little family are well, it's so lovely to hear success stories. Enjoy both of your precious miracles!
xxx

Hopeful2010
xxxxxxxx

United Kingdom

Saturday, February 4th 2012, 6:45pm

Congratulations Hopeful and Nat!!! xx

nds

Sunday, February 5th 2012, 9:26pm

Congratulations Nat and Hopeful, that is great news!!! Hopeful, I hope your pregnancy goes well, without tiredness nor nausea!

And let's keep our fingers crossed for everyone else too, either having treatment at the moment or waiting to apply for funding, like me!!

Have an excellent week!

Nat xxx
Nat

rianon

Sunday, February 12th 2012, 8:46pm

Hopeful2010,

So wonderful news I am really happy! I wish you a happy healthy little baby to hold in your arms after 8 months time. I am so sorry that this pregnancy will probably be difficult for you full of fears and anxeities but I just want you to get there in the end and it will all be worth.

I will hope and pray for you my dear.

xx Rianon

On a postsript note: this second BFP is a really good sign about your embryos quality if you ever feel the desire for more children in a couple of years time ;-)

xfingers xfingers xfingers xfingers xfingers

rianon

Sunday, February 12th 2012, 8:47pm

Natalie,

Congratulations on the birth of Jackson! Your post made me really happy and also gave hope that PGD can work twice.

xx Rianon

rianon

Sunday, February 12th 2012, 8:50pm

Hi Hopeful123,

I am keeping all fingers and toes crossed for you. Let us know how you get on or if you need any encouragment. Which clinic are you with? There are only a few clinics in the UK which offer PGD so you might be able to find clinic buddies.

xx Rianon

rianon

Sunday, February 12th 2012, 8:59pm

Hi nds,

Your post made me happy and sad at the same time. It is lovely that you have your wonderful daughter but it is so cruel that she might have to have PGD herself. But I am sure you would not change her for the world :-) Who knows she might become a brilliant artist or someone to save the environment. And even if she has to have PGD she can have your support. My husband and have a genetic trait which is either inherited or not so we cannot have carriee children so I don't know much about that. How bad it is to be a carrier? I do hope it is still better than to have a full disease. Do you have to care for her constantly or is it later adult onset? Our daughter also born via PGD is very similar age to yours :-)

I live in the East Midlands and our geneticist just got in touch to say we might be able to get more funding. I am not very hopeful though. I am trying to write an appeal letter comparing the costs of a PGD and the lifetime treatment of a person with our condition. Maybe you should move to the East Midlands? Oh how bad is this postcode lottery! But even though it is possible in theory I don't think we will really receive any funding. Or if so we might have to change hospitals and start from scratch. (We did not choose our clinic it was given as the only one at the time doing PGD for our condition).

xx Rianon

rianon

Sunday, February 12th 2012, 9:01pm

Hello everyone else :-) Hope you are well!

Whiteangel hope you enjoy the pregnancy and don't get too many bad symptoms :-)
Hope and Lightning any more news about treatment? Your blogs have no new updates I am curious!
Gingerbean how is the funding? Did they give you a timeline?

love to everyone,
Rianon

Sunday, February 12th 2012, 10:05pm

Thanks Rianon. I'm with Guys. Was back up there this morning for another blood test and scan - likely to EC on Friday or the following Monday, but have to wait until Weds for them to decide. Today it looks like there are going to be 8 follicles to collect from... hopefully they will give good eggs up. I was hoping for more as before I started stimming they put me on a lower dose as I had over 20 follicles. Oh well, must be patient and wait and see what happens!! Taking it all one day at a time at the moment :)

rianon

Monday, February 13th 2012, 11:37am

Hi Hopeful123,

It was very similar for Whiteangel (also with Guys). I am sure she will come along and tell you but the main thing she is pregnant now :-) best of luck to you too!!!

babydust babydust babydust
xxx Rianon

United Kingdom

Monday, February 13th 2012, 1:53pm

Hi everyone,
Yes Rianon is right. Guy's managed to work magic for us. We had 8 eggs, four tested, one good one put back and it worked. Now 15weeks and expanding rapidly! All is well thank you Rianon, other than tiredness and a massive appetite, I've not had many symptoms. Had a look at prams today, very exciting! Seeing midwife on Wednesday, looking forward to it. Glad everyone seems to be doing well at the moment. Lots of luck hopeful123 and please let me know if you have any questions. We went through treatment in November at Guy's so it is all really fresh in my mind. Good luck with the funding application Rianon.
xx
My blog - PGD

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 2:17pm

Congrats Whiteangel! I had a scan this morning. Follicles still too small :( going up in a couple of days for another scan to see if any are big enough to be collected. Hope they start growing soon...

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 7:53pm

Ladies my probes are finished!!!! After 10 long months, they are finished :happy: :happy: :happy: xx

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 9:03pm

Hi ladies
Great news whiteangel :thumbsup: and Hope yay hope you start with me lol!
Hey Rianon hows things hun?
xx

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 9:35pm

What happened when H said your probes were ready? x

United Kingdom

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 7:17pm

I wasnt told mine were ready hun I think it was a case of waiting list for me as it was a year from referral to letter with date of appointment. She will prob send you a letter with your first appointment date now ? :-) xx

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 8:26pm

Do you have your official start date yet? x

United Kingdom

Saturday, February 18th 2012, 6:52pm

hey hun no not yet, hoping to find out on Wednesday

PGD ladies do any of you have acupuncture? I had the most awful experience today so wanted to chat specifically to a PGD lady who has had it xx

Saturday, February 18th 2012, 8:25pm

Hi Lightning, I'm sorry I can't help you with you're acupuncture question, I've never had it. Hopefully someone will be able to soon though. x

Hopeful2010
xxxxxxxx

United Kingdom

Saturday, February 18th 2012, 8:49pm

Thanks hun had a very upsetting experience today :-( xx

Saturday, February 18th 2012, 9:59pm

What happened? [zx127] Poor you! :-(

Hopeful2010
xxxxxxxx

United Kingdom

Saturday, February 18th 2012, 10:52pm

It may be rather long lol.

So my appointment was 12pm I dually turned up at 11.55am feeling rather apprehensive about the whole thing. Waited for 45 MINUTES!!!!!! By this point I was fuming and dying to leave and in hindsight I wish I had, especially as I had made plans to go riding at 1.30pm luckily I dropped her a quick text and she was able to hold off for me. When he eventually took me through his manner was just terrible he made me feel so uncomfortable. He had absolutely no idea what PGD was even though apparently he specialises in IVF, even when I explained it all to him in great detail he still didn't seem to get it, he had to keep referring to a hand held copputer to translate words such as chromosome as he is Chinese. Finally he started to grasp what my problems are then tried to tell me how he can't help me. So I told him I know he can't help but I want to use acupuncture to prepare my body for IVF, he went on about herbs etc so I stated I do not wish to have those as I start treatment soon I purely want acu. Then he told me I should use donor eggs as mine are so bad!!! And believe it or not he said this again later on in the conversation I was so gobsmacked I just wanted to get out of there. I mean who does he think he is a fertility consultant? Even my consultant hasn't mentioned donor eggs!!!!! So then we do 20 mins of acupuncture only about 7 needles so not much and I didnt mind the procedure at all which was what was worrying me. when it was all over he handed me an invoice for £80 and a box of herbs!!!! I knew the acupuncture cost is £35 and apparently your initial consultation is free however he charged me £35 for that and £10 for the herbs I was stunned and said to him I didnt think it would be that much and I had to go to the bank for more money how embarrassing. Then he booked me in again for Monday telling me I had to go twice per week (my thoughts were to go fortnightly up to treatment then work it around treatment). I booked in just to get out of there, knowing full well there is no way I will step foot in there again. Got to the car called hubby and burst into tears ;( Then of course I had to rush straight to the stables where I met my friend and burst into tears to her too lol bless her she was very understanding and she is really not a sensitive/feelings type person. Hubby text me to say he called them but they were just leaving so he has to call back on Monday but I will do it myself and speak to the manager and hopefully get some money back and give him his herbs back! I checked the website when I got home and it does say initial consultation free!

Phew rant over! xxx

Sunday, February 19th 2012, 7:32am

Oh Lightning, what an awful experience! Acupuncture is supposed to help you relax, there's no way anyone could with him! As there's nothing particularly different between preparing your body for IVF with PGD, I think firstly you have to fond a new acupuncturist as you rightly said! Someone who is kind and understanding and doesn't need to translate anything.

There is nothing wrong with your eggs so don't even consider his words :hugs: One lady I cycled with this time is pregnant despite her low AMH and "poor" embryo quality! He probably just couldn't get his head around the need for DNA testing and took it as you needing different eggs which is rubbish. That's what PGD is for, so we can try to have our own healthy biological children.

Maybe do a search on here for ladies that are having acupuncture and see who they go to? I notice mainly they begin when treatment does, so you still have time to find one.

Good luck Hun and I hope the riding afterwards was relaxing at least. Lots of love. xxx

Hopeful2010
xxxxxxxx

Sunday, February 19th 2012, 11:30am

Where did you go for it hon? x

rianon

Sunday, February 19th 2012, 8:07pm

Oh so sorry about the awful experience Lighning! Your eggs are just fine :-) Don't trust a guy who doesn't even kow what PGD is.... and instead of admitting "sorry I don't know" he makes up rubbish about your egg quality. How dare he? How could he know anything about you by just chatting with you? "ello stranger your are very fertile" - I can't tell anyone whom I meet whether they are fertile or not. And even when people are struggling to get pregnant how dare he say this???? So insensitive! You should advertise his name so noone goes to him.

I was contemplating reflexology and mustered up all my braveness and called a reflexology clinic in my city specialising in IVF. I had to leave a message (9 to 5 on a weekday) and they never got back to me. In the end I just called a random lady from the internet whom website I liked. She told me she did not know that much about IVF but it was a lovely experience really and truly realxing (I did not continue to use her support due to lack of money and time but that is another story). The main thing is I felt even though she does not know so much about IVF she was lovely and supportive. And that's what matters most. I hope you find someone you are happy with.

Are you allowed to go riding during treatment? I am not allowed to play volleyball :( I am but only if I take it easy. But I cannot take a match easy what is the point then? Anyway my health is really bad since I went back to work so I am not going to much volleyball anyway :( I hope I get better by April. Did anyone had the same problem before IVF? I should quit work I know but I cannot really as it is not real work I am a PhD student and I would loose 3 years of work and would have a huge gap in my CV and would never be able to get any proper job......

xxx Rianon

United Kingdom

Sunday, February 19th 2012, 8:33pm

Hiya Ria yeah I need to find a new one I feel comfortable with :-)

I will be stopping riding soon I would imagine as definitely not doing it when I start treatment so probably a month or so left of riding xx

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 22nd 2012, 7:36pm

So had my screening appointment today filled in all consents had more bloods done and AMH getting done again, got some vaginal swabs too so basically we are ready to go the only thing is she said the wait is longer than expected so it wont be till June/July :-( xx

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 1:56pm

Hello my lovely FZ PGD ladies how are you all, you have been very quiet lately lol xx

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 7:21pm

Good thank you. Busy at work, trying to sell the house and getting fat! How are you? X
My blog - PGD

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 7:57pm

Hey Ladies,

I finally got my call. Our next appointment is on the 14th March, only 2 weeks to wait so its not to bad! Helen said our pack is on its way to us in the post!

Finally getting somewhere :thumbsup: :thumbsup: xxx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE