You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, January 26th 2009, 9:00pm

Thanks Rosey. They look just the thing.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• "Bells" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Monday, January 26th 2009, 9:16pm

I wonder if the thing with the Always pads is that, along with the plastic bag effect, they 'feel' dry to the touch so maybe women wear them for longer? A traditional towel tends to feel quite moist, perhaps spurring on more frequent changes?

Mrs J, do you fancy washable pads?

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 5:16pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
Mrs J, do you fancy washable pads?

Not initially but after the first week or so, yeah. I've been looking at the Wemoon ones if thats what you were going to suggest. I thought they looked lovely.

Whilst we're on the subject again, how long afterwards until I can use my mooncup, assuming I need it if bf?

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, March 2nd 2009, 2:54pm

Right, important stuff:
What snacks is everyone taking to hospital? Hospitals get hot and labour is thirsty work, so the idea of salty stuff is not appealing. I was thinking dried apricots with sugar for my energy levels, iron in case I loose a lot of blood and fibre to ease the strain on my nether regions afterwards! For similar reasons, I fancy a malt loaf (ready sliced and buttered) but with carbs also to keep energy levels up. I think also full fat ribena, heavily diluted (hate it too sweet) to sip through a straw to keep me hydrated. DH will want pickled onion monster munch and fizzy pop. What do you think?

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Monday, March 2nd 2009, 3:09pm

I think you'll have a three hour labour, won't feel hungry/thirsty, won't think about eating at all and will be leaving hospital with a baby and a bag of uneaten food ;)

In hospital a couple of weeks ago I was quite pleased with the food offered. I was given homemade broccoli and stilton soup with a roll, jacket potato with beans and then a homemade lemon tart. A cup of tea and a pack of two custard creams. I considered staying in for a couple of weeks! NO cooking and NO washing up!!!!

On a serious note. I think your malt loaf and juice idea is probably very good. That's the kind of thing we'd take out on a two day mountain marathon which is a pretty similar experience actually. Cover all your bases - salty, sweet, carbs, nibbles - and I'm sure you'll have plenty to choose from.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, March 2nd 2009, 3:12pm

Quoted

That's the kind of thing we'd take out on a two day mountain marathon which is a pretty similar experience actually.

Great!

Do you think I can take a nice runny brie in to eat as soon as the baby's out? In fact, can you come and visit me with one?

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Monday, March 2nd 2009, 3:15pm

Yes, I'll come with 'past its official use by date - stinks the fridge out' sticky, runny brie, some ciabatta, some big fat juicy prawns, a slab of Lurpack and ooooooo my homemade chicken liver pate which IS the best in the world!!!

Would madam like a double vodka and coke with that?

(I've just described my perfect night in :snigger: )

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, March 2nd 2009, 3:30pm

Quoted

Would madam like a double vodka and coke with that?

No thanks, but bring a bottle of red wine! And yes please to all that yummy food, can the brie be so over ripe it can walk by itself from the car park please?

donz

• "donz" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 28th 2008

Children: Been blessed twice, Im so lucky!

Monday, March 16th 2009, 4:13pm

Thanks Bells, was just gonna add a thread about packing for hospital either bor a natural/c-section delivery and I found this first which happens to have EVERYTHING on it!

Thanks Chick x

34 DH 31
TTC 5yrs
1 x IVF BFN
1 x FET BFN
3 x Clomid BFN
2 x I.U.I BFN

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Monday, March 16th 2009, 4:22pm

Yes, you should only need four or five suitcases too! :D

elmo

Ace

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, March 16th 2009, 5:06pm

Quoted

Kitchen roll is the most underestimated of all baby 'must haves'. It's great for drying your own bits after labour, for putting under baby's bot on cold changing mats, for catching puke, stemming the flow of a squirty nipple and probably a hundred other things.

so true :happy:
i always have a roll down the side of the sofa, tissues fall apart way too easily!!
i always have some folded up in my change bag too for when i'm out and about!
Proud mom of the most beautiful twin girlies!!
2 angels in heaven, never forgotten

Reg: Jul 3rd 2007

Children: Apr 2009- Suprise Natural BFP!!!

Saturday, October 17th 2009, 9:44am

Glad I found this list.

I've been spending time worrying about the type of bag I'll have. Me and DP had a good old 'debate' in John Lewis the other day when I came across the new Cath Kidston designs. I thought they said 'excellent mother material' but DP thought they gave off the message 'steal me, I have more money than taste... and actually I cannot afford this bag anyway'.

Cue a big sulk from me. Surely it is completely sensible to want to spend £65 on a bag that won't fit half the stuff on the list in and that you'll have to starve for 2 weeks to be able to afford?!?!

Anyways, thanks for this list guys. I think it's helped me prioritise that it's what goes in the bag... not what it looks like. I'll be off to Primark to get a couple of their great weekend bags, some cheap towels, pants and nighties, etc. I'm 29 weeks now so think I should face the fact baby could be on his/ her way in a few short weeks.

I will just have to get the Cath Kidston bag as a reward for my efforts during labour... but I think a healthy baby will be probably be reward enough!

Dilly x
[/align]

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Saturday, October 17th 2009, 10:09am

Quoted

Originally posted by Dilly
I'm 29 weeks now so think I should face the fact baby could be on his/ her way in a few short weeks.

Don't say that Dilly! I'm 29 weeks and have a week's holiday to pack for in early Nov before I even think about packing my hospital bag :snigger:

Afraid I'm wiht your hubby on the Cath Kidston bag though. I'll just be chucking my stuff into one of the ubiquitous rucksacks that lie around our house!

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Reg: Jul 3rd 2007

Children: Apr 2009- Suprise Natural BFP!!!

Saturday, October 17th 2009, 12:44pm

Someone told me I should just use the supermarket bags for life. Why am I not as sensible as the rest of the population?!?!
[/align]

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, February 5th 2010, 3:16pm

Just packed my bag and this list is invaluable. DH was like 'Geez its long, do you really need all that stuff?!' to which my reply was 'Of course I do!!' I have a little suitcase packed for me, a bag packed for baby and a changing bag with nappies!!

The bags for life is a good idea though!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: (6 angels in heaven) 2 girls a previous relationship, and now a baby boy thanks to treatment

Saturday, February 6th 2010, 9:18pm

Great list, Thanks Bells, I have just packed using your list :thumbsup:

Do I need to pack a towel for the baby for after I give him a bath? mmmmmm

Lou xxx
Need reproductive immunology success stories please 2 help others :)

have u got immune issues?

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

• United Kingdom

Saturday, February 6th 2010, 10:08pm

Hi Lou,

Yes, pop a towel in for baby. At my hospital you aren't given anything at all, you have to take in everything you would need, so if you're going to bath baby then you'll need a small towel.

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: (6 angels in heaven) 2 girls a previous relationship, and now a baby boy thanks to treatment

Sunday, February 7th 2010, 9:43am

Thanks Bells blowkiss
Need reproductive immunology success stories please 2 help others :)

have u got immune issues?

landi

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 5th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son born on 28th May 2010

Friday, April 2nd 2010, 1:36pm

Hey Bells,
Does the list differ depending on whether babies are born in Summer or winter?
Might seem like a silly question. But I've copied your list (which is flippin amazing - thank you) and I wasn't sure if all this would still be needed in July?
XX

LAURA
28.05.10 My miracle son Harry was born 5 weeks early, by c-section lurve

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, April 2nd 2010, 2:24pm

Hiya!

Laura - The hospital was absolutely roasting, especially in the room you give birth in but they still put a hat on baby pretty much straight away. I took pretty much the whole list and boy did I need it.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Sunday, April 4th 2010, 9:10am

Laura - The hospital was absolutely roasting, especially in the room you give birth in but they still put a hat on baby pretty much straight away.

I never understood this. They lecture you at length about temperature, layers of clothing and the risk of SIDS, then they whack the thermostat up and shout at you if your baby hasn't got 'enough' clothing on! Do NOT put a hat on your baby indoors (This doesn't apply to prem babies.). And if your midwife in the hospital tells you they need it, remind her whose baby it is!

landi

Superstar

United Kingdom

Sunday, April 4th 2010, 10:35am

Thanks Mrs J - I've just told DH so that one of us should remember.

LAURA

JENSQUI

Megastar

Sunday, April 4th 2010, 1:11pm

just wanted to add my twopenneth about hospital bags. I used packing cubes to segregate the different stuff, e.g. all labour stuff in one, all baby stuff in another and labelled them. This proved useful when shouting at my partner for items as he can be a bit rubbish and it made it easier for him to find what I wanted. I took only enough for one night's stay initially (for me and the baby) but had a second bag packed at home in case I had to stay in longer. As I ended up there for 5 days this, again, was handy for my partner as he wasn;t rummaging in drawers trying to find stuff and could get some much needed sleep!
I took a small jug in to pour over my bits when weeing but never really used it - if you wee standing up then it doesn;t dribble down onto the cut as much so is less sore.
Also, if you are going to be in more than one night, get someoned to bring you in a tupperware each of fruit salad and normal salad with plenty of veggies each day cos the food is awful and I was craving fresh stuff after 24 hours. also helped with the codeine induced constipation.....

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Polly Pocket

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Sunday, April 4th 2010, 2:18pm

I wish I'd been as organised as Jen, I wanted a home birth but ended up in hospital and we stayed there for 6 nights, I only had enough for one night and wasn't prepared for a stay of that length.

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

JENSQUI

Megastar

Sunday, April 4th 2010, 3:31pm

oh yes, and I would take in more than one t-shirt / night shirt for labour. I had a very long labour which included a lot of spewing (and it was so hot in there I was sweating buckets even during the big freeze) so went through a complete change of clothes and two nighties before Martha finally arrived. Thanks to Mrs J I had 3 of the beauties to keep me going!

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

landi

Superstar

United Kingdom

Monday, April 5th 2010, 11:36am

Great thanks ladies - any more advice much appreciated.
It's all being added to my list.
Jen - did you buy the cubes for packing or just make your own up?
xx

LAURA

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, April 5th 2010, 9:13pm

I had a nice comfy strappy nightie to labour in and it was soooo hot I ended up naked. Then they put a hospital gown on me which made me sweat buckets.

Definately take a few pairs of pants. Especially ones you don't mind throwing away, I chucked my first pair as I got blood on them.

I never understood why they put a hat on either. It is soooooo hot in there.

Definately make sure your DH has a snack or somthing with him. I was only in the delivery suite for about 7 or 8 hours and DH was so pleased I packed him a fruit pot!

Reg: Sep 28th 2009

Children: A beautiful, miracle FET baby girl

Monday, July 12th 2010, 1:13pm

Can I just say...this thread has scared me to death!
We start our NCT classes on Wednesday, and I was going to ask about what should be packed for the hospital, but thought I'd just check if there was a thread on here first.
I'm kind of wishing that I hadn't now! :teehee:

Not only does the list seem endless, but the stories to match the required 'items' sound horrific! I thought I had a good idea of how horrible the birth and post-birth issues would be, but now I think I may have grossly under-estimated them!!!
January 2010 - Natural FET cycle
Harriet Amelia was born on 16th October 2010 - we are SO happy!!!

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 6:05pm

OK, so I packed most of the things on this list and the first time my bag was opened was to get an outfit for my baby an hour or two after I had given birth! I arrived at the birthing centre, strippd off, got in the birthing pool and delivered a few hours later! The centre also provided bath towels when I had a bath and maternity towels (that beleive it or not were bigger than those from the supermarket!!!). Later that day I came home so I really didn't need much at all. I think it really depends on where you are going and how long you will be there, but of course you never know how long you will be there!!!!!

taxihome

United Kingdom

Sunday, July 17th 2011, 5:17pm

Awesome info. Fankoo :weehee:

[zx071]
2 x man boys -MC,Ectopic IVF x 4 Natural BFP/Born sleeping 22/WksRIP LO
Jan/11:ICSI:BFP: bab21 [zx115] Our dream has finally come true
MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Reg: Jun 13th 2010

Friday, August 24th 2012, 8:30am

This is a great list!

One extra thing if you have other children of an age to get jealous, pack a few little gifts ready wrapped to give them. I've got some cheap book collections from the Book People and wrapped one for each night of my hospital stay, hopefully not too long after the c-section and I can read DS them as his bed time story once he's opened them

RM
x

Beautiful boy born in January 2007
TTC second since March 2009
Luteal phase defect - 4 rounds clomid
BFP 14.2.2012 - 2 beautiful heartbeats seen EDD 22nd Oct - Its a boy and a girl!

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 7th 2011

Children: 2 little beans on the way!

Friday, August 24th 2012, 8:45am

I agree RM. I've referred to this list loads. My bag is pretty much done but I need to work on the one for the babies now.

Love your idea for DS. I think he'll love getting something to unwrap every day whilst your in hospital. Hopefully you won't be in for too long.

Me:30
DH:38
TTC since 2008
6xClomid 2010 :BFN:
3xIUI 2011 :BFN:
1st IVF Feb 2012 :BFP: Identical twins :boy: :boy: born 23/10/12

My Diary

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE